Old 16-02-2006, 09:42 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sugar-Free Pineapple Cheesecake

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
snip

Where exaactly did you read that this was for a diabetic?

If it makes any difference, it is for a weight loss diet where natural
sugar in fruit is permitted, and counts toward fruit exchanges. The recipe
was once published by Weight Watchers. Depending on the choice of cottage
cheese, it is either low-fat or fat-free. There is no regular sugar
(dextrose) added.

try alt.support.diet.weigh****chers

Vicki

Old 16-02-2006, 10:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it's from the American
Heart Association. Not too bad on calories and fat, but the carbs are a
little steep.

REFRIGERATOR PINEAPPLE CHEESECAKE
Serves 8
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
1 3-ounce package lemon gelatin
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons acceptable margarine, melted
3 cups (1 1/2 pounds) low-fat cottage cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon sugar
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, canned in natural juices, no sugar added,
undrained
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Place pineapple juice in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a
boil and add
gelatin. Stir until dissolved. Remove mixture from heat and cool to
lukewarm.

In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and margarine. Press onto
bottom and 1-inch up the sides of an 8-inch springform pan. Bake 5 minutes
and allow to cool at room temperature.

Place cottage cheese, extracts and 1 tablespoon sugar in a blender or the
work bowl of a
food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process until completely smooth.
Add cooled juice mixture and process 30 seconds more to combine thoroughly.

Pour into prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate several hours, or until firm.

In a small saucepan combine pineapple, water, cornstarch and 1 tablespoon
sugar. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

Cool 20 minutes and spread evenly on top of cheesecake. Cover and
refrigerate 1 hour.

Calories: 254
Protein: 14 g
Carbohydrates: 35 g
Total Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 7 mg

Old 16-02-2006, 10:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

On Thu 16 Feb 2006 03:20:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it DLynch?

[...]

Thank you! This isn't exactly the same as the one I had, but it looks
really good, and i can tweak it further to lower the carbs and fat.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Old 16-02-2006, 10:32 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu 16 Feb 2006 02:42:14p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Vicki
Beausoleil?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
snip

Where exaactly did you read that this was for a diabetic?

If it makes any difference, it is for a weight loss diet where natural
sugar in fruit is permitted, and counts toward fruit exchanges. The
recipe was once published by Weight Watchers. Depending on the choice
of cottage cheese, it is either low-fat or fat-free. There is no
regular sugar (dextrose) added.

try alt.support.diet.weigh****chers

Vicki

Thanks, Vicki. I was unaware of the group.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Old 16-02-2006, 11:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

PINEAPPLE CHEESECAKE

Base: 1 cup biscuit crumbs
1/3 cup butter, melted

Filling: 1 Tablespoon gelatine
!/4 cup pineapple juice (reserved from crushed pineapple)
2 x 250g cream cheese, softened
1 x 400g can condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cups unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained

Topping: 1 x 440g can pineapple rings
1 jar orange gel
1 cup toasted shredded coconut

Combine biscuit crumbs and butter, press into base of 20cm cheesecake pan.
Chill

Stir gelatine into pineapple juice, heat in saucepan or microwave on high
for 30 secs, until dissolved.

Beat cream cheese until smooth, blend in condensed milk, gelatine mixture
and pineapple. Pour into crumb crust. Chill for 2 -3 hours,

Top with pineapple rings. Heat gel, cool slightly and pour over cake.
Decorate sides with coocnut.

Jen

Old 16-02-2006, 11:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

On Thu 16 Feb 2006 04:20:13p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?

[...]

Thank you, Jen. This sounds good, and I can tweak it to reduce sugar and
fat.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Old 16-02-2006, 11:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
snip

Where exaactly did you read that this was for a

diabetic?

If it makes any difference, it is for a weight loss diet

where
natural sugar in fruit is permitted, and counts toward

fruit
exchanges. The recipe was once published by Weight

Watchers.
Depending on the choice of cottage cheese, it is either

low-fat or
fat-free. There is no regular sugar (dextrose) added.

try alt.support.diet.weigh****chers

Vicki

Thanks, Vicki. I was unaware of the group.

I had the original Weight Watchers recipe book by Jean
Nidetch itself, somehow lost it during a divorce move.
Recipes were calorie controlled, sadly I have to watch all
carbs regardless of the calorie count ;(

Old 16-02-2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
[...]

Like ground almonds instead of crackers, Splenda instead of
sugar...

Old 16-02-2006, 11:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote in message
28.19...
I once had a recipe for a sugar-free low-fat pineapple cheesecake recipe,
but
have lost it. It was made with cottage cheese, crushed pineapple,
unflavored
gelatin, and artificial sweetener. The topping was sliced strawberries,
sliced kiwi fruit, and sliced banana, glazed with thickened apple juice
concentrate. It was, obviously, a no-bake cheesecake. A "dusting" of
crumbs
was used as a crust.

Anyone have such a recipe, or similar?

TIA

I just found another..... Pineapple rum cheesecake.

Base: 1 1/2 cups biscuit crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted

Filling: 1 1/2 Tablespoons gelatine
1/3 cup pineapple juice
2 x 250g cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 Tablespoons rum
1 x 150g can evaporated milk, chilled and whipped
3/4 cup cream, lightly whipped

Topping:
Pineapple slices
Sliced hazelnuts

Combine biscuit crumbs and butter. Press into base of 23cm fluted pan, with
removable base. Chill.

Stir gelatine into pineapple juice, heat until dissolved.

Beat cream cheese till soft, stir in all remaining ingredients, including
gelatine mixture. Pour into crumb crust. Chill.

Decorate with pineapple and hazelnuts.

Jen

Old 17-02-2006, 12:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

On Thu 16 Feb 2006 04:38:29p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ozgirl?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 16 Feb 2006 03:20:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
DLynch?

Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it's from the
American Heart Association. Not too bad on calories and fat, but the
carbs are a little steep.

REFRIGERATOR PINEAPPLE CHEESECAKE

Thank you! This isn't exactly the same as the one I had, but it looks
really good, and i can tweak it further to lower the carbs and fat.

Like ground almonds instead of crackers, Splenda instead of
sugar...

Yes, exactly, and sugar-free gelatin.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Old 17-02-2006, 12:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

Default REQ: Sugar-Free Pineapple Cheesecake

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 16 Feb 2006 11:20:01a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob (this
one)?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I once had a recipe for a sugar-free low-fat pineapple cheesecake
recipe, but have lost it. It was made with cottage cheese, crushed
pineapple, unflavored gelatin, and artificial sweetener. The topping
was sliced strawberries, sliced kiwi fruit, and sliced banana, glazed
with thickened apple juice concentrate. It was, obviously, a no-bake
cheesecake. A "dusting" of crumbs was used as a crust.

Anyone have such a recipe, or similar?

This surely isn't "sugar-free" in any sense of the idea. Pineapple,
strawberries, kiwi and bananas contain sugars. Concentrated apple juice
merely concentrates the sugars, and the thickener (unless a food gum)
adds more carbs. Crumbs add to the carb load, though not to sugars
unless they've cookie or cake crumbs.

So while no white or brown sugars are added to the recipe, there are
certainly sugars in it.

Yes, I know that. I should have referred to it as "no sugar added". The
only thickener is unflavored gelatin. IIRC, the crumb mixture was made
from dry bread crumbs, cinnamon, and a small amount of artificial
sweetener. The pan was very lightly coated with diet margarine, then
dusted with the crumb mixture.

I am quite aware that the fruits and juice concentrate contain sugar. The
recipe is for a weight loss program, not a diabetic diet. It was once
published by Weight Watchers, and sugars contained in fruit are permitted.

So, do you have a recipe, or not? I wasn't asking for a critique.

Hey, Wayne. Welcome to Usenet.

Parenthetically, I don't have such a recipe. Nor would I.

Pastorio
Old 17-02-2006, 01:02 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu 16 Feb 2006 04:36:37p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ozgirl?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
snip

Where exaactly did you read that this was for a diabetic?

If it makes any difference, it is for a weight loss diet where
natural sugar in fruit is permitted, and counts toward fruit
exchanges. The recipe was once published by Weight Watchers.
Depending on the choice of cottage cheese, it is either low-fat or
fat-free. There is no regular sugar (dextrose) added.

try alt.support.diet.weigh****chers

Vicki

Thanks, Vicki. I was unaware of the group.

I had the original Weight Watchers recipe book by Jean
Nidetch itself, somehow lost it during a divorce move.
Recipes were calorie controlled, sadly I have to watch all
carbs regardless of the calorie count ;(

I had that book, too, but I'm not sure if this recipe was from it. Yes,
it's too bad that many things just don't work well in diabetic diets,
although I've learned to de-carb and low-carb many regular recipes.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Old 17-02-2006, 02:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

On Thu 16 Feb 2006 05:58:35p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob (this
one)?

So, do you have a recipe, or not? I wasn't asking for a critique.

Hey, Wayne. Welcome to Usenet.

Parenthetically, I don't have such a recipe. Nor would I.

Pastorio

LOL! I've had many such welcomes, thanks. I rarely feel compelled to
respond to a request for something without attempting to include what was
requested, or at least something similar.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo

BIOYA