FoodBanter.com

-   -   REC: Kirtana's Kisses (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/83107-rec-kirtanas-kisses.html)

Pete Romfh[_1_] 14-02-2006 02:03 PM

REC: Kirtana's Kisses

I'd been looking for something to have as an after dinner treat. My spouse
mentioned meringues which I hadn't done for ages.
While researching this I thought of "Butterfly Kisses" which was a song
about someone's little girl. Then I thought of my favorite little girl who
just turned two last week.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Kirtana's Kisses

Light and gentle as a little girl's kiss. It's named for my Granddaughter,
Kirtana Maureen
These treats are intended for diabetics. But everyone seems to love them.

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 32
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Egg white
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Low Carb, Bake, Snacks, Desserts, Cookies

-= Ingredients =-
3/4 cup egg whites ; - room temperature
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup Splenda
2 drops ~~ red food coloring ~~
1 teaspoon ~~ almond extract ~~
3/4 cup Unsweetened coconut ; - shredded

-= Instructions =-
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Place the eggs whites in a glass mixing bowl with salt. Beat until the
whites are stiff. Slowly add 1 cup of Splenda beating constantly. Mix in
food coloring, almond extract and coconut using a slow deliberate mix to
avoid deflating the mixture.

Drop the mixture from a teaspoon onto a greased and well- floured baking
sheet. Bake about 30 minutes. Turn oven off and let kisses continue to sit
in oven for 1 1/2 hours.

While the original recipe called for almond extract, there's no reason you
couldn't use other flavors such as peppermint, cinnamon, cocoa, or orange
zest. Just remember to go easy on the flavoring as these should be a
delicately flavored treat.

Each (13g) Kiss contains an estimated:
Cals: 33, FatCals: 10, TotFat: 1g
SatFat: 1g, PolyFat: 0g, MonoFat: 0g
Chol: 0mg, Na: 22mg, K: 18mg
TotCarbs: 5g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 0g,
NetCarbs: 5g, Protein: 1g

** Recipe at: www.bigoven.com/recipe160584 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Pete Romfh[_2_] 14-02-2006 10:00 PM

Kirtana's Kisses

I figure 1/4 cup is about one medium egg white.
I'm going to do a batch just to send to Kirtana so she knows Grandpa
loves her.

W. Baker 14-02-2006 10:08 PM

Kirtana's Kisses

Nicky > wrote:

: "Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
: ...
: > I'd been looking for something to have as an after dinner treat. My spouse
: > mentioned meringues which I hadn't done for ages.
: > While researching this I thought of "Butterfly Kisses" which was a song
: > about someone's little girl. Then I thought of my favorite little girl who
: > just turned two last week.
: >
: > -= Exported from BigOven =-
: >
: > Kirtana's Kisses
: >
[...]

: Oo, cool! Thanks! I've been looking (not very hard) for a meringue recipe. I
: wasn't sure Splenda would do the right chemistry.

: How many eggs make 3/4 cup whites, at a guess?

: Nicky.

I ad one a year or so ago from Jennifer, I believe, that I made and it
worked!! The reslting meringues were even moe delicae than usual adn have
to be kept very dry or they kind of melt. I wonder if they wouel work as
base for tarts or a pavlova, beign filled just before sering.

If I cn lcate it in my fioes I wil post it here.

Wendy

Ozgirl 14-02-2006 11:38 PM

Kirtana's Kisses

W. Baker wrote:
> Nicky > wrote:
>
>: "Pete Romfh" > wrote in

message
> [...]

>: >
>: > Each (13g) Kiss contains an estimated:
>: > Cals: 33, FatCals: 10, TotFat: 1g
>: > SatFat: 1g, PolyFat: 0g, MonoFat: 0g
>: > Chol: 0mg, Na: 22mg, K: 18mg
>: > TotCarbs: 5g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 0g,
>: > NetCarbs: 5g, Protein: 1g
>
>: Oo, cool! Thanks! I've been looking (not very hard) for a

meringue
>: recipe. I wasn't sure Splenda would do the right

chemistry.

>: How many eggs make 3/4 cup whites, at a guess?
>
>: Nicky.
>
> I ad one a year or so ago from Jennifer, I believe, that I

made and it
> worked!! The reslting meringues were even moe delicae

than usual adn
> have to be kept very dry or they kind of melt. I wonder

if they
> wouel work as base for tarts or a pavlova, beign filled

Slightly flatten the meringue in the middle, might need 2
teaspoons of meringue for a single serve pavlova. Then add
your whipped cream and a strawberry (I say strawberry
because they are low GI). Probably won't have that "wet"
soft centre like a regular pavlova.