Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default REC: Chicken Piccata

I made this recently and served it with greenbeans and brown rice with
toasted almonds.
It was delicious, low cal, and didn't spike my 2hr PP reading (105)

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Chicken Piccata

Thin chicken cutlets browned with a flavorful, tangy sauce

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Chicken
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Atkins-Friendly, Low Carb, Low Fat, Sauté,
Quick, Simple - Easy, Chicken, Main Dish, Brunch

-= Ingredients =-
2 Medium chicken breasts ; Skinless; boneless
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt ; - to taste
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper ; - fresh ground
2 tablespoons Olive oil ; EVOO
1/4 cup White wine
2 tablespoons Capers
2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
1 tablespoon Butter

-= Instructions =-
Directions: Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Slice the breast in half through
the middle. Place each slice between two layers of plastic wrap and pound
until 1/4 " thick. Season each piece with salt and pepper.

Place the olive oil into a skillet and heat over medium flame. Add the
chicken breasts and brown for 2 minutes on each side. Set aside in a warm
oven.

To make the sauce, reheat the skillet over medium heat. Add the wine and
reduce for 2 minutes, stirring constantly to scrape brown bits off bottom.
Stir in capers and lemon juice. Remove from heat and add the butter,
stirring until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over
chicken and serve

Each (1/2 breast) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 156, FatCals: 93, TotFat: 10g
SatFat: 3g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 6g
Chol: 39mg, Na: 340mg, K: 157mg
TotCarbs: 1g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 0g
NetCarbs: 1g, Protein: 13g

** Recipe and photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe126397 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Chicken Piccata

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
>I made this recently and served it with greenbeans and brown rice with
> toasted almonds.
> It was delicious, low cal, and didn't spike my 2hr PP reading (105)
>
> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> Chicken Piccata
>
> Thin chicken cutlets browned with a flavorful, tangy sauce
>
> Recipe By: Pete Romfh
> Serving Size: 4
> Cuisine: American
> Main Ingredient: Chicken
> Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Atkins-Friendly, Low Carb, Low Fat,
> Sauté,
> Quick, Simple - Easy, Chicken, Main Dish, Brunch
>
> -= Ingredients =-
> 2 Medium chicken breasts ; Skinless; boneless
> 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt ; - to taste
> 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper ; - fresh ground
> 2 tablespoons Olive oil ; EVOO
> 1/4 cup White wine
> 2 tablespoons Capers
> 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
> 1 tablespoon Butter
>
> -= Instructions =-
> Directions: Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Slice the breast in half
> through
> the middle. Place each slice between two layers of plastic wrap and pound
> until 1/4 " thick. Season each piece with salt and pepper.
>
> Place the olive oil into a skillet and heat over medium flame. Add the
> chicken breasts and brown for 2 minutes on each side. Set aside in a warm
> oven.
>
> To make the sauce, reheat the skillet over medium heat. Add the wine and
> reduce for 2 minutes, stirring constantly to scrape brown bits off
> bottom.
> Stir in capers and lemon juice. Remove from heat and add the butter,
> stirring until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over
> chicken and serve
>
> Each (1/2 breast) serving contains an estimated:
> Cals: 156, FatCals: 93, TotFat: 10g
> SatFat: 3g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 6g
> Chol: 39mg, Na: 340mg, K: 157mg
> TotCarbs: 1g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 0g
> NetCarbs: 1g, Protein: 13g
>

> ** Recipe and photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe126397 **
> ** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **
>
> --
> Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
> http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
> promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

This sounds great, except that I would make mine without the rice. (I have
given up all rice, not just white rice, to combat diabetes.)

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

MaryL wrote:
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
> message ...
>> I made this recently and served it with greenbeans and
>> brown rice with toasted almonds.
>> It was delicious, low cal, and didn't spike my 2hr PP
>> reading (105)
>>
>> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>>
>> Chicken Piccata
>>
>> Thin chicken cutlets browned with a flavorful, tangy
>> sauce
>>
>> Recipe By: Pete Romfh
>> Serving Size: 4
>> Cuisine: American
>> Main Ingredient: Chicken
>> Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Atkins-Friendly, Low
>> Carb, Low Fat, Sauté,
>> Quick, Simple - Easy, Chicken, Main Dish, Brunch
>>
>> -= Ingredients =-
>> 2 Medium chicken breasts ; Skinless; boneless
>> 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt ; - to taste
>> 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper ; - fresh ground
>> 2 tablespoons Olive oil ; EVOO
>> 1/4 cup White wine
>> 2 tablespoons Capers
>> 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
>> 1 tablespoon Butter
>>
>> -= Instructions =-
>> Directions: Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Slice the
>> breast in half through
>> the middle. Place each slice between two layers of
>> plastic wrap and pound until 1/4 " thick. Season each
>> piece with salt and pepper.
>>
>> Place the olive oil into a skillet and heat over medium
>> flame. Add the chicken breasts and brown for 2 minutes
>> on each side. Set aside in a warm oven.
>>
>> To make the sauce, reheat the skillet over medium heat.
>> Add the wine and reduce for 2 minutes, stirring
>> constantly to scrape brown bits off bottom.
>> Stir in capers and lemon juice. Remove from heat and
>> add the butter, stirring until melted. Add salt and
>> pepper to taste. Pour sauce over chicken and serve
>>
>> Each (1/2 breast) serving contains an estimated:
>> Cals: 156, FatCals: 93, TotFat: 10g
>> SatFat: 3g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 6g
>> Chol: 39mg, Na: 340mg, K: 157mg
>> TotCarbs: 1g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 0g
>> NetCarbs: 1g, Protein: 13g
>>

>> ** Recipe and photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe126397 **
>> ** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **
>>
>> --
>> Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
>> http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
>> promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org
>>

> This sounds great, except that I would make mine without
> the rice. (I have given up all rice, not just white
> rice, to combat diabetes.)
>
> MaryL

I haven't gotten that extreme yet. Brown rice, in small amounts, seems OK
for me (so far).

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> MaryL wrote:
>> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
>> message ...
>>> I made this recently and served it with greenbeans and
>>> brown rice with toasted almonds.
>>> It was delicious, low cal, and didn't spike my 2hr PP
>>> reading (105)
>>>
>>> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>>>
>>> Chicken Piccata
>>>
>>> Thin chicken cutlets browned with a flavorful, tangy
>>> sauce
>>>
>>> Recipe By: Pete Romfh
>>> Serving Size: 4
>>> Cuisine: American
>>> Main Ingredient: Chicken
>>> Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Atkins-Friendly, Low
>>> Carb, Low Fat, Sauté,
>>> Quick, Simple - Easy, Chicken, Main Dish, Brunch
>>>
>>> -= Ingredients =-
>>> 2 Medium chicken breasts ; Skinless; boneless
>>> 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt ; - to taste
>>> 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper ; - fresh ground
>>> 2 tablespoons Olive oil ; EVOO
>>> 1/4 cup White wine
>>> 2 tablespoons Capers
>>> 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
>>> 1 tablespoon Butter
>>>
>>> -= Instructions =-
>>> Directions: Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Slice the
>>> breast in half through
>>> the middle. Place each slice between two layers of
>>> plastic wrap and pound until 1/4 " thick. Season each
>>> piece with salt and pepper.
>>>
>>> Place the olive oil into a skillet and heat over medium
>>> flame. Add the chicken breasts and brown for 2 minutes
>>> on each side. Set aside in a warm oven.
>>>
>>> To make the sauce, reheat the skillet over medium heat.
>>> Add the wine and reduce for 2 minutes, stirring
>>> constantly to scrape brown bits off bottom.
>>> Stir in capers and lemon juice. Remove from heat and
>>> add the butter, stirring until melted. Add salt and
>>> pepper to taste. Pour sauce over chicken and serve
>>>
>>> Each (1/2 breast) serving contains an estimated:
>>> Cals: 156, FatCals: 93, TotFat: 10g
>>> SatFat: 3g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 6g
>>> Chol: 39mg, Na: 340mg, K: 157mg
>>> TotCarbs: 1g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 0g
>>> NetCarbs: 1g, Protein: 13g
>>>

>>> ** Recipe and photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe126397 **
>>> ** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **
>>>
>>> --
>>> Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
>>> http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
>>> promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org
>>>

>> This sounds great, except that I would make mine without
>> the rice. (I have given up all rice, not just white
>> rice, to combat diabetes.)
>>
>> MaryL

> I haven't gotten that extreme yet. Brown rice, in small amounts, seems OK
> for me (so far).
>
> --
> Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
> http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
> promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Well, I may actually be doing *more* than is necessary. However, I
eliminated *all* of the white stuff -- rice, pasta, potatoes, added sugar,
and flour -- and also eliminated any form of rice or flour. I tested with a
slice of whole wheat bread on 3 or 4 occasions, and I got a spike each time.
On the other hand, I have been able to completely control my glucose
readings (now averaging 96) by following the basics of South Beach plus the
additional restrictions that I mentioned. I have not needed to take any
medication since March of 2005. I know that many -- perhaps most --
diabetics follow the principle of moderation rather than completely
eliminating foods, but this has worked very well for me. I don't feel
deprived because I love fresh fruit and have been able to eat a fairly good
amount of that (especially berries). That serves as my dessert and
satisfies by "sweet tooth." The biggest difficulty is finding satisfactory
recipes for items like roast *without* including potatoes and carrots. If
it's something served on the side (like your recipe -- which sounds really
good), I just substitute veggies.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> The biggest difficulty is finding satisfactory recipes for items like
> roast *without* including potatoes and carrots. If it's something served
> on the side (like your recipe -- which sounds really good), I just
> substitute veggies.

Have you tested carrots, Maryl? They've got a high GI, but a very low GL - I
can eat them freely. And I've discovered that a single small Yorkshire
pudding (or maybe 2 with wine) sets off a roast perfectly.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>> The biggest difficulty is finding satisfactory recipes for items like
>> roast *without* including potatoes and carrots. If it's something served
>> on the side (like your recipe -- which sounds really good), I just
>> substitute veggies.

> Have you tested carrots, Maryl? They've got a high GI, but a very low GL -
> I can eat them freely. And I've discovered that a single small Yorkshire
> pudding (or maybe 2 with wine) sets off a roast perfectly.
>
> Nicky.
>
> --
> A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
> 1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
> 95/74/72Kg

Yes, I should have clarified my remarks about carrots. I love raw carrots,
and I have a few raw mini-carrots every day. I don't care for the flavor of
them cooked because I think they overwhelm the flavor of meat or whatever
else they are cooked with. So, my avoidance of them when cooking has
nothing to do with diabetes (whereas avoiding potatoes has *everything* to
do with diabetes).

Yorkshire pudding? I have never made that. I'll have to look it up. Any
suggestions of specific types to check out?

Thanks,
MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> Yes, I should have clarified my remarks about carrots. I love raw

carrots,
> and I have a few raw mini-carrots every day. I don't care for the flavor

of
> them cooked because I think they overwhelm the flavor of meat or whatever
> else they are cooked with. So, my avoidance of them when cooking has
> nothing to do with diabetes (whereas avoiding potatoes has *everything* to
> do with diabetes).
>
> Yorkshire pudding? I have never made that. I'll have to look it up. Any
> suggestions of specific types to check out?

I made it a couple of times. It was okay. Didn't think it was all that
wonderful. It's sort of like a huge dumpling. I think it might be an
acquired taste unless you're British. I think it's a common dish for them.
Pretty uncommon here.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Yorkshire pudding (was Chicken Piccata)

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> I made it a couple of times. It was okay. Didn't think it was all that
> wonderful. It's sort of like a huge dumpling. I think it might be an
> acquired taste unless you're British. I think it's a common dish for
> them.
> Pretty uncommon here.

Aaargh! No wonder we allowed you lot to secede : ) It's light and airy, with
a lovely crisp outside. I do mine in muffin pans to get individual ones, and
freeze the very rare leftovers. This recipe is from a Google search and uses
American measures, for your convenience : )

Nicky.

1 cup of flour
2 eggs
1 cup of milk
Salt

Mix eggs and milk together, beat well.
Gradually add egg mixture to flour and salt. Beat Well (no lumps).
Let stand a while before cooking, Pre-heat oven to about 450, heat a small
amount of shortening, in shallow pan, approx. 9" x 13", or individual pans,
when the fat is spluttering add mixture and put back onto the top shelf of
the oven.
It takes about 20 mins.
It is hard to describe how it should look, but it should have risen around
the edges and in the middle, and should have browned.
It should be eaten as soon as possible.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> I made it a couple of times. It was okay. Didn't think it was all that
>> wonderful. It's sort of like a huge dumpling. I think it might be an
>> acquired taste unless you're British. I think it's a common dish for
>> them.
>> Pretty uncommon here.

> Aaargh! No wonder we allowed you lot to secede : ) It's light and airy,
> with a lovely crisp outside. I do mine in muffin pans to get individual
> ones, and freeze the very rare leftovers. This recipe is from a Google
> search and uses American measures, for your convenience : )
>
> Nicky.
>

> 1 cup of flour
> 2 eggs
> 1 cup of milk
> Salt
>
> Mix eggs and milk together, beat well.
> Gradually add egg mixture to flour and salt. Beat Well (no lumps).
> Let stand a while before cooking, Pre-heat oven to about 450, heat a small
> amount of shortening, in shallow pan, approx. 9" x 13", or individual
> pans, when the fat is spluttering add mixture and put back onto the top
> shelf of the oven.
> It takes about 20 mins.
> It is hard to describe how it should look, but it should have risen around
> the edges and in the middle, and should have browned.
> It should be eaten as soon as possible.

Thanks! That sounds like something I would like to have tried a few years
ago. Best of all, it sounds easy to make and requires very few ingredients.
Unfortunately, it requires flour (which I suspected), and I have eliminated
all use of flour since being diagnosed with diabetes. I have read many
English novels that talked about Yorkshire pudding but never had the
opportunity to taste one. My loss!!

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Nicky" > wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> > I made it a couple of times. It was okay. Didn't think it was all that
> > wonderful. It's sort of like a huge dumpling. I think it might be an
> > acquired taste unless you're British. I think it's a common dish for
> > them.
> > Pretty uncommon here.

> Aaargh! No wonder we allowed you lot to secede : ) It's light and airy, with
> a lovely crisp outside. I do mine in muffin pans to get individual ones, and
> freeze the very rare leftovers. This recipe is from a Google search and uses
> American measures, for your convenience : )
>
> Nicky.
>

> 1 cup of flour
> 2 eggs
> 1 cup of milk
> Salt
>
> Mix eggs and milk together, beat well.
> Gradually add egg mixture to flour and salt. Beat Well (no lumps).
> Let stand a while before cooking, Pre-heat oven to about 450, heat a small
> amount of shortening, in shallow pan, approx. 9" x 13", or individual pans,
> when the fat is spluttering add mixture and put back onto the top shelf of
> the oven.
> It takes about 20 mins.
> It is hard to describe how it should look, but it should have risen around
> the edges and in the middle, and should have browned.
> It should be eaten as soon as possible.

Don't worry. Not all of us colonials massacre Yorkshire pudding! I can
recall many yummy servings from my youth. I've never made it myself,
probably largely because it means no gravy from the roast since you've
used the drippings for the YP.

Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
> Don't worry. Not all of us colonials massacre Yorkshire pudding! I can
> recall many yummy servings from my youth. I've never made it myself,
> probably largely because it means no gravy from the roast since you've
> used the drippings for the YP.

Indeed. It is a difficult decision : ) These days I often cheat and use
frozen Yorkies, but I suspect such conveniences are rare in the US : )

The cup of flour makes 12 single puds, so one is quite easy on my bgs. And
there's no better receptacle for the gravy : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/74/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Priscilla Ballou > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Nicky" > wrote:
>
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> > > I made it a couple of times. It was okay. Didn't think it was all that
> > > wonderful. It's sort of like a huge dumpling. I think it might be an
> > > acquired taste unless you're British. I think it's a common dish for
> > > them.
> > > Pretty uncommon here.

> > Aaargh! No wonder we allowed you lot to secede : ) It's light and airy,
> > with
> > a lovely crisp outside. I do mine in muffin pans to get individual ones,
> > and
> > freeze the very rare leftovers. This recipe is from a Google search and
> > uses
> > American measures, for your convenience : )
> >
> > Nicky.
> >

> > 1 cup of flour
> > 2 eggs
> > 1 cup of milk
> > Salt
> >
> > Mix eggs and milk together, beat well.
> > Gradually add egg mixture to flour and salt. Beat Well (no lumps).
> > Let stand a while before cooking, Pre-heat oven to about 450, heat a small
> > amount of shortening, in shallow pan, approx. 9" x 13", or individual pans,
> > when the fat is spluttering add mixture and put back onto the top shelf of
> > the oven.
> > It takes about 20 mins.
> > It is hard to describe how it should look, but it should have risen around
> > the edges and in the middle, and should have browned.
> > It should be eaten as soon as possible.

> Don't worry. Not all of us colonials massacre Yorkshire pudding! I can
> recall many yummy servings from my youth. I've never made it myself,
> probably largely because it means no gravy from the roast since you've
> used the drippings for the YP.

Oh, yes...it was definitely a staple of my childhood. My mother
sometimes made it with melted butter rather than drippings.

Once, when my sister and I were allowed to stay home alone without a
babysitter, the dinner we made ourselves was *just* a huge pan of
Yorkshire pudding!

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Alice Faber > wrote:
> In article >,
> Priscilla Ballou > wrote:
> > Don't worry. Not all of us colonials massacre Yorkshire pudding! I can
> > recall many yummy servings from my youth. I've never made it myself,
> > probably largely because it means no gravy from the roast since you've
> > used the drippings for the YP.

> Oh, yes...it was definitely a staple of my childhood. My mother
> sometimes made it with melted butter rather than drippings.
>
> Once, when my sister and I were allowed to stay home alone without a
> babysitter, the dinner we made ourselves was *just* a huge pan of
> Yorkshire pudding!

When I was in high school I got my first home alone weekend while my
parents went up to the summer place. That weekend I made a huge pot of
sour-hot soup and ate that and chocolate ice cream for two days. :-)

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Nicky" > wrote:

> "Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
> > Don't worry. Not all of us colonials massacre Yorkshire pudding! I can
> > recall many yummy servings from my youth. I've never made it myself,
> > probably largely because it means no gravy from the roast since you've
> > used the drippings for the YP.

> Indeed. It is a difficult decision : ) These days I often cheat and use
> frozen Yorkies, but I suspect such conveniences are rare in the US : )

Ack! My mind did a funny there for a second. To me, "Yorkie" is short
for Yorkshire Terrier, not Yorkshire pudding!

> The cup of flour makes 12 single puds, so one is quite easy on my bgs. And
> there's no better receptacle for the gravy : )

Hmmm. I wonder how they'd be with beef stew. I just started a big pot
of it and now you've got me hungry for YP.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
> Hmmm. I wonder how they'd be with beef stew. I just started a big pot
> of it and now you've got me hungry for YP.

Great : ) But I'm biased...

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/74/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in

message
>> I made it a couple of times. It was okay. Didn't think

it was all
>> that wonderful. It's sort of like a huge dumpling. I

think it
>> might be an acquired taste unless you're British. I

think it's a
>> common dish for them.
>> Pretty uncommon here.

> Aaargh! No wonder we allowed you lot to secede : ) It's

light and
> airy, with a lovely crisp outside. I do mine in muffin

pans to get
> individual ones, and freeze the very rare leftovers. This

recipe is
> from a Google search and uses American measures, for your

convenience
> : )
>
> Nicky.
>

> 1 cup of flour
> 2 eggs
> 1 cup of milk
> Salt
>
> Mix eggs and milk together, beat well.
> Gradually add egg mixture to flour and salt. Beat Well (no

lumps).
> Let stand a while before cooking, Pre-heat oven to about

450, heat a
> small amount of shortening, in shallow pan, approx. 9" x

13", or
> individual pans, when the fat is spluttering add mixture

and put back
> onto the top shelf of the oven.
> It takes about 20 mins.
> It is hard to describe how it should look, but it should

have risen
> around the edges and in the middle, and should have

browned.
> It should be eaten as soon as possible.

I seem to recall my mother putting something like this over
a thick beef casserole for last minutes of cooking, rather
than in pans. Does that sound right?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> I seem to recall my mother putting something like this over
> a thick beef casserole for last minutes of cooking, rather
> than in pans. Does that sound right?

Well, I guess that would be more of a dumpling mix. You couldn't call it
Yorkshire Pud, though! The fierce heat and fat sizzling in the pan is of the
essence, it's what explodes the mix outwards and gives it a lovely, light
crispness.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/74/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> I seem to recall my mother putting something like this over
> a thick beef casserole for last minutes of cooking, rather
> than in pans. Does that sound right?

The first time I made it, I dropped little blobs of it in the pan along with
the roast as per the cookbook. That wasn't very good at all. Then I found
another recipe that told me to bake it in a square pan. These were not
British cookbooks. But my dad has been to England many times, has eaten it
there and said what I made tasted like what he got there. But then, I used
to make popovers as well and nobody liked those but me.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

G'day G'day Pete,

I hadn't associated capers with American cuisine.
Maybe it reflects the cosmopolitan nature of America.

The dish fits in well with a meal for guests with mixed dietary
beliefs. What would you serve it with for people who aren't doing low
carb or similar diets?

Best wishes,

This post not CC'd by email
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 11:01:11 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> wrote:

>I made this recently and served it with greenbeans and brown rice with
>toasted almonds.
>It was delicious, low cal, and didn't spike my 2hr PP reading (105)
>
> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> Chicken Piccata
>
>Thin chicken cutlets browned with a flavorful, tangy sauce
>
>Recipe By: Pete Romfh
>Serving Size: 4
>Cuisine: American
>Main Ingredient: Chicken
>Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Atkins-Friendly, Low Carb, Low Fat, Sauté,
>Quick, Simple - Easy, Chicken, Main Dish, Brunch
>
>-= Ingredients =-
>2 Medium chicken breasts ; Skinless; boneless
>1/4 teaspoon kosher salt ; - to taste
>1/2 teaspoon Black pepper ; - fresh ground
>2 tablespoons Olive oil ; EVOO
>1/4 cup White wine
>2 tablespoons Capers
>2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
>1 tablespoon Butter
>
>-= Instructions =-
>Directions: Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Slice the breast in half through
>the middle. Place each slice between two layers of plastic wrap and pound
>until 1/4 " thick. Season each piece with salt and pepper.
>
> Place the olive oil into a skillet and heat over medium flame. Add the
>chicken breasts and brown for 2 minutes on each side. Set aside in a warm
>oven.
>
>To make the sauce, reheat the skillet over medium heat. Add the wine and
>reduce for 2 minutes, stirring constantly to scrape brown bits off bottom.
>Stir in capers and lemon juice. Remove from heat and add the butter,
>stirring until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over
>chicken and serve
>
>Each (1/2 breast) serving contains an estimated:
>Cals: 156, FatCals: 93, TotFat: 10g
>SatFat: 3g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 6g
>Chol: 39mg, Na: 340mg, K: 157mg
>TotCarbs: 1g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 0g
>NetCarbs: 1g, Protein: 13g
>

>** Recipe and photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe126397 **
>** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Quentin Grady wrote:
> G'day G'day Pete,
>
> I hadn't associated capers with American cuisine.
> Maybe it reflects the cosmopolitan nature of America.
>

> The dish fits in well with a meal for guests with mixed
> dietary beliefs. What would you serve it with for people
> who aren't doing low carb or similar diets?
>
> Best wishes,

I would readily serve that to anyone who came to my table.
Except a vegetarian of course.

There'a FedEx package on the way to you BTW.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Quentin Grady > wrote:
: G'day G'day Pete,

: I hadn't associated capers with American cuisine.
: Maybe it reflects the cosmopolitan nature of America.

: The dish fits in well with a meal for guests with mixed dietary
: beliefs. What would you serve it with for people who aren't doing low
: carb or similar diets?

: Best wishes,

I would serve rice or noodles for the non-carbohydracatly challanged.
Also some vrusty Italian bread.

Wendy

: > wrote:

: >I made this recently and served it with greenbeans and brown rice with
: >toasted almonds.
: >It was delicious, low cal, and didn't spike my 2hr PP reading (105)
: >
: > -= Exported from BigOven =-
: >
: > Chicken Piccata
: >
[...]

: --
: Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
: New Zealand, >#,#< [
: / \ /\
: "... and the blind dog was leading."

: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 05:43:02 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> wrote:

>Quentin Grady wrote:
>> G'day G'day Pete,
>>
>> I hadn't associated capers with American cuisine.
>> Maybe it reflects the cosmopolitan nature of America.
>>

>> The dish fits in well with a meal for guests with mixed
>> dietary beliefs. What would you serve it with for people
>> who aren't doing low carb or similar diets?
>>
>> Best wishes,

>I would readily serve that to anyone who came to my table.
>Except a vegetarian of course.
>
>There'a FedEx package on the way to you BTW.

G'day G'day Pete,

Special thanks.

There are a few extraordinary people in the world.
Their very existence still surprises me.

I am so grateful for the advent of cyberspace which has enabled us to
be connected to some of those scattered dots.

Best wishes,

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

REC: Chicken Piccata Janet Bostwick General Cooking 12 27-02-2013 05:27 PM
Chicken Piccata tkharris Recipes 1 13-01-2008 11:24 AM
Chicken Piccata Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 01-08-2007 10:08 PM
CHICKEN PICCATA Tim Recipes 0 14-08-2005 04:24 PM
Chicken Piccata Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 23-01-2005 04:22 AM