Old 12-02-2006, 10:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Yorkshire pudding (was Chicken Piccata)

Nicky wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in

message
news:[email protected]
I made it a couple of times. It was okay. Didn't think

it was all
that wonderful. It's sort of like a huge dumpling. I

think it
might be an acquired taste unless you're British. I

think it's a
common dish for them.
Pretty uncommon here.

Aaargh! No wonder we allowed you lot to secede : ) It's

light and
airy, with a lovely crisp outside. I do mine in muffin

pans to get
individual ones, and freeze the very rare leftovers. This

recipe is
from a Google search and uses American measures, for your

convenience
: )

Nicky.

1 cup of flour
2 eggs
1 cup of milk
Salt

Mix eggs and milk together, beat well.
Gradually add egg mixture to flour and salt. Beat Well (no

lumps).
Let stand a while before cooking, Pre-heat oven to about

450, heat a
small amount of shortening, in shallow pan, approx. 9" x

13", or
individual pans, when the fat is spluttering add mixture

and put back
onto the top shelf of the oven.
It takes about 20 mins.
It is hard to describe how it should look, but it should

have risen
around the edges and in the middle, and should have

browned.
It should be eaten as soon as possible.

I seem to recall my mother putting something like this over
a thick beef casserole for last minutes of cooking, rather
than in pans. Does that sound right?

Old 12-02-2006, 11:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
I seem to recall my mother putting something like this over
a thick beef casserole for last minutes of cooking, rather
than in pans. Does that sound right?

Well, I guess that would be more of a dumpling mix. You couldn't call it
Yorkshire Pud, though! The fierce heat and fat sizzling in the pan is of the
essence, it's what explodes the mix outwards and gives it a lovely, light
crispness.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Old 13-02-2006, 10:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

I seem to recall my mother putting something like this over
a thick beef casserole for last minutes of cooking, rather
than in pans. Does that sound right?

The first time I made it, I dropped little blobs of it in the pan along with
the roast as per the cookbook. That wasn't very good at all. Then I found
another recipe that told me to bake it in a square pan. These were not
British cookbooks. But my dad has been to England many times, has eaten it
there and said what I made tasted like what he got there. But then, I used
to make popovers as well and nobody liked those but me.

--
See my webpage:

Old 14-02-2006, 09:05 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default REC: Chicken Piccata

G'day G'day Pete,

I hadn't associated capers with American cuisine.
Maybe it reflects the cosmopolitan nature of America.

The dish fits in well with a meal for guests with mixed dietary
beliefs. What would you serve it with for people who aren't doing low
carb or similar diets?

Best wishes,

This post not CC'd by email
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 11:01:11 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
wrote:

I made this recently and served it with greenbeans and brown rice with
toasted almonds.
It was delicious, low cal, and didn't spike my 2hr PP reading (105)

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Chicken Piccata

Thin chicken cutlets browned with a flavorful, tangy sauce

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Chicken
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Atkins-Friendly, Low Carb, Low Fat, Sauté,
Quick, Simple - Easy, Chicken, Main Dish, Brunch

-= Ingredients =-
2 Medium chicken breasts ; Skinless; boneless
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt ; - to taste
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper ; - fresh ground
2 tablespoons Olive oil ; EVOO
1/4 cup White wine
2 tablespoons Capers
2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
1 tablespoon Butter

-= Instructions =-
Directions: Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Slice the breast in half through
the middle. Place each slice between two layers of plastic wrap and pound
until 1/4 " thick. Season each piece with salt and pepper.

Place the olive oil into a skillet and heat over medium flame. Add the
chicken breasts and brown for 2 minutes on each side. Set aside in a warm
oven.

To make the sauce, reheat the skillet over medium heat. Add the wine and
reduce for 2 minutes, stirring constantly to scrape brown bits off bottom.
Stir in capers and lemon juice. Remove from heat and add the butter,
stirring until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over
chicken and serve

Each (1/2 breast) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 156, FatCals: 93, TotFat: 10g
SatFat: 3g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 6g
Chol: 39mg, Na: 340mg, K: 157mg
TotCarbs: 1g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 0g
NetCarbs: 1g, Protein: 13g

** Recipe and photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe126397 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, #,# [

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Old 14-02-2006, 11:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Quentin Grady wrote:
G'day G'day Pete,

I hadn't associated capers with American cuisine.
Maybe it reflects the cosmopolitan nature of America.

The dish fits in well with a meal for guests with mixed
dietary beliefs. What would you serve it with for people
who aren't doing low carb or similar diets?

Best wishes,

I would readily serve that to anyone who came to my table.
Except a vegetarian of course.

There'a FedEx package on the way to you BTW.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Old 14-02-2006, 09:01 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Quentin Grady wrote:
: G'day G'day Pete,

: I hadn't associated capers with American cuisine.
: Maybe it reflects the cosmopolitan nature of America.

: The dish fits in well with a meal for guests with mixed dietary
: beliefs. What would you serve it with for people who aren't doing low
: carb or similar diets?

: Best wishes,

I would serve rice or noodles for the non-carbohydracatly challanged.
Also some vrusty Italian bread.

Wendy

: wrote:

: I made this recently and served it with greenbeans and brown rice with
: toasted almonds.
: It was delicious, low cal, and didn't spike my 2hr PP reading (105)
:
: -= Exported from BigOven =-
:
: Chicken Piccata
:
[...]

: --
: Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
: New Zealand, #,# [
: / \ /\

Old 16-02-2006, 05:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 05:43:02 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
wrote:

Quentin Grady wrote:
G'day G'day Pete,

I hadn't associated capers with American cuisine.
Maybe it reflects the cosmopolitan nature of America.

The dish fits in well with a meal for guests with mixed
dietary beliefs. What would you serve it with for people
who aren't doing low carb or similar diets?

Best wishes,

I would readily serve that to anyone who came to my table.
Except a vegetarian of course.

There'a FedEx package on the way to you BTW.

G'day G'day Pete,

Special thanks.

There are a few extraordinary people in the world.
Their very existence still surprises me.

I am so grateful for the advent of cyberspace which has enabled us to
be connected to some of those scattered dots.

Best wishes,

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, #,# [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

REC: Chicken Piccata Janet Bostwick General Cooking 12 27-02-2013 04:27 PM
Chicken Piccata tkharris Recipes 1 13-01-2008 10:24 AM
Chicken Piccata Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 01-08-2007 10:08 PM
CHICKEN PICCATA Tim Recipes 0 14-08-2005 04:24 PM
Chicken Piccata Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 23-01-2005 03:22 AM