Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Request recipe for BBQ sauce

I just got a Rival Crock Pot BBQ grill -- *much* more like a BBQ pit than a
crock pot. I've tried it twice and made *very* tender roast and ribs.

Can anyone recommend an *easy* sauce for ribs? My three criteria a (1)
easy to prepare; (2) very low in sugar and carbs because I have diabetes, as
do others on this group; and (3) very little use of hot spices or pepper
because I have an intolerance, and my body can't handle much of that -- but
I could also easily reduce or eliminate that part of an otherwise-good
recipe.

Thanks,
MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

MaryL wrote:
> I just got a Rival Crock Pot BBQ grill -- *much* more
> like a BBQ pit than a crock pot. I've tried it twice and
> made *very* tender roast and ribs.
>
> Can anyone recommend an *easy* sauce for ribs? My three
> criteria a (1) easy to prepare; (2) very low in sugar
> and carbs because I have diabetes, as do others on this
> group; and (3) very little use of hot spices or pepper
> because I have an intolerance, and my body can't handle
> much of that -- but I could also easily reduce or
> eliminate that part of an otherwise-good recipe.
>
> Thanks,
> MaryL

Try this version:

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Atkinized BBQ Sauce

This is suitible for those who want sweet BBQ sauce but want (or need) to
keep the carbs under control.

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 20
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Tomatoes
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Atkins-Friendly, Superbowl, Picnics, Slow
cook, Simple - Easy, Sauces, Condiments

-= Ingredients =-
12 ounces Tomato paste ; 2-6oz. Cans
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Water
1/2 cup Yellow onion ; -Rough chopped
1/2 cup Bell pepper ; - green
2 tbs Tabasco sauce
2 tbs White vinegar
2 tbs garlic powder
1/2 cup hot sauce ; - Franks or Texas Petes
1/2 cup Splenda
1/2 cup Sugar Twin Brown Sugar

-= Instructions =-
Place tomato sauce in large measuring cup and bring volume up to 3 cups with
water. Then transfer to large saucepan or pot.

In blender, process Onion, green pepper, worcestershire, and water. Then add
that to the thinned tomato paste. While mixture is warming on the stove add
in Tabasco, Vinegar, garlic powder, and 3/4 of the hot sauce. Reserve a bit
of the hot sauce to touch up the spiciness later. If you're a wimp about hot
stuff try reserving 1/2 the hot sauce.

Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered for 30 minutes, stirring often, then
add and stir in well,
1/2 cup Splenda
1/2 cup Sugar Twin Brown Sugar

Test the flavor and add hot sauce until it's as "hot" as you like.

let it simmer just a bit more to meld the flavors then serve (or bottle) the
sauce.

Adapted from recipe by Mike Willsey

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pete Romfh wrote:
> MaryL wrote:
>> I just got a Rival Crock Pot BBQ grill -- *much* more
>> like a BBQ pit than a crock pot. I've tried it twice and
>> made *very* tender roast and ribs.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend an *easy* sauce for ribs? My three
>> criteria a (1) easy to prepare; (2) very low in sugar
>> and carbs because I have diabetes, as do others on this
>> group; and (3) very little use of hot spices or pepper
>> because I have an intolerance, and my body can't handle
>> much of that -- but I could also easily reduce or
>> eliminate that part of an otherwise-good recipe.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> MaryL

> Try this version:
>
> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> Atkinized BBQ Sauce
>
> This is suitible for those who want sweet BBQ sauce but
> want (or need) to keep the carbs under control.
>
> Recipe By: Pete Romfh
> Serving Size: 20
> Cuisine: American
> Main Ingredient: Tomatoes
> Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Atkins-Friendly,
> Superbowl, Picnics, Slow cook, Simple - Easy, Sauces,
> Condiments
>
> -= Ingredients =-
> 12 ounces Tomato paste ; 2-6oz. Cans
> 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
> 1/2 cup Water
> 1/2 cup Yellow onion ; -Rough chopped
> 1/2 cup Bell pepper ; - green
> 2 tbs Tabasco sauce
> 2 tbs White vinegar
> 2 tbs garlic powder
> 1/2 cup hot sauce ; - Franks or Texas Petes
> 1/2 cup Splenda
> 1/2 cup Sugar Twin Brown Sugar
>
> -= Instructions =-
> Place tomato sauce in large measuring cup and bring
> volume up to 3 cups with water. Then transfer to large
> saucepan or pot.
>
> In blender, process Onion, green pepper, worcestershire,
> and water. Then add that to the thinned tomato paste.
> While mixture is warming on the stove add in Tabasco,
> Vinegar, garlic powder, and 3/4 of the hot sauce. Reserve
> a bit of the hot sauce to touch up the spiciness later.
> If you're a wimp about hot stuff try reserving 1/2 the
> hot sauce.
>
> Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered for 30 minutes,
> stirring often, then add and stir in well,
> 1/2 cup Splenda
> 1/2 cup Sugar Twin Brown Sugar
>
> Test the flavor and add hot sauce until it's as "hot" as
> you like.
>
> let it simmer just a bit more to meld the flavors then
> serve (or bottle) the sauce.
>
> Adapted from recipe by Mike Willsey

I forgot to add the nutrient analysis.

Each (2 Tbs) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 50, FatCals: 1, TotalFat 0g
Chol: 0, Na: 849mg, K: 214mg
TotCarbs: 12g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 3g
NetCarbs: 10g, Protein: 1g

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> Pete Romfh wrote:
>> MaryL wrote:
>>> I just got a Rival Crock Pot BBQ grill -- *much* more
>>> like a BBQ pit than a crock pot. I've tried it twice and
>>> made *very* tender roast and ribs.
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend an *easy* sauce for ribs? My three
>>> criteria a (1) easy to prepare; (2) very low in sugar
>>> and carbs because I have diabetes, as do others on this
>>> group; and (3) very little use of hot spices or pepper
>>> because I have an intolerance, and my body can't handle
>>> much of that -- but I could also easily reduce or
>>> eliminate that part of an otherwise-good recipe.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> MaryL

>> Try this version:
>>
>> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>>
>> Atkinized BBQ Sauce
>>
>> This is suitible for those who want sweet BBQ sauce but
>> want (or need) to keep the carbs under control.
>>
>> Recipe By: Pete Romfh
>> Serving Size: 20
>> Cuisine: American
>> Main Ingredient: Tomatoes
>> Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Atkins-Friendly,
>> Superbowl, Picnics, Slow cook, Simple - Easy, Sauces,
>> Condiments
>>
>> -= Ingredients =-
>> 12 ounces Tomato paste ; 2-6oz. Cans
>> 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
>> 1/2 cup Water
>> 1/2 cup Yellow onion ; -Rough chopped
>> 1/2 cup Bell pepper ; - green
>> 2 tbs Tabasco sauce
>> 2 tbs White vinegar
>> 2 tbs garlic powder
>> 1/2 cup hot sauce ; - Franks or Texas Petes
>> 1/2 cup Splenda
>> 1/2 cup Sugar Twin Brown Sugar
>>
>> -= Instructions =-
>> Place tomato sauce in large measuring cup and bring
>> volume up to 3 cups with water. Then transfer to large
>> saucepan or pot.
>>
>> In blender, process Onion, green pepper, worcestershire,
>> and water. Then add that to the thinned tomato paste.
>> While mixture is warming on the stove add in Tabasco,
>> Vinegar, garlic powder, and 3/4 of the hot sauce. Reserve
>> a bit of the hot sauce to touch up the spiciness later.
>> If you're a wimp about hot stuff try reserving 1/2 the
>> hot sauce.
>>
>> Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered for 30 minutes,
>> stirring often, then add and stir in well,
>> 1/2 cup Splenda
>> 1/2 cup Sugar Twin Brown Sugar
>>
>> Test the flavor and add hot sauce until it's as "hot" as
>> you like.
>>
>> let it simmer just a bit more to meld the flavors then
>> serve (or bottle) the sauce.
>>
>> Adapted from recipe by Mike Willsey
>>

> I forgot to add the nutrient analysis.
>
> Each (2 Tbs) serving contains an estimated:
> Cals: 50, FatCals: 1, TotalFat 0g
> Chol: 0, Na: 849mg, K: 214mg
> TotCarbs: 12g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 3g
> NetCarbs: 10g, Protein: 1g
>

> --
> Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
> http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
> promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Thanks. This could be a good start, although I would have to eliminate
ingredients like hot sauce and tabasco sauce. I am concerned about the
number of carbs, so I hope there is an alternative with less than that.

How long will this remain good if refrigerated?

Thanks,
MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

MaryL wrote:
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
> message ...
>> Pete Romfh wrote:

>>> Try this version:
>>>
>>> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>>>
>>> Atkinized BBQ Sauce
>>>
>>> This is suitible for those who want sweet BBQ sauce but
>>> want (or need) to keep the carbs under control.
>>>
>>> Recipe By: Pete Romfh
>>> Serving Size: 20
>>> Cuisine: American
>>> Main Ingredient: Tomatoes
>>> Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Atkins-Friendly,
>>> Superbowl, Picnics, Slow cook, Simple - Easy, Sauces,
>>> Condiments
>>>
>>> -= Ingredients =-
>>> 12 ounces Tomato paste ; 2-6oz. Cans
>>> 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
>>> 1/2 cup Water
>>> 1/2 cup Yellow onion ; -Rough chopped
>>> 1/2 cup Bell pepper ; - green
>>> 2 tbs Tabasco sauce
>>> 2 tbs White vinegar
>>> 2 tbs garlic powder
>>> 1/2 cup hot sauce ; - Franks or Texas Petes
>>> 1/2 cup Splenda
>>> 1/2 cup Sugar Twin Brown Sugar
>>>
>>> -= Instructions =-
>>> Place tomato sauce in large measuring cup and bring
>>> volume up to 3 cups with water. Then transfer to large
>>> saucepan or pot.
>>>
>>> In blender, process Onion, green pepper, worcestershire,
>>> and water. Then add that to the thinned tomato paste.
>>> While mixture is warming on the stove add in Tabasco,
>>> Vinegar, garlic powder, and 3/4 of the hot sauce.
>>> Reserve a bit of the hot sauce to touch up the
>>> spiciness later. If you're a wimp about hot stuff try
>>> reserving 1/2 the hot sauce.
>>>
>>> Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered for 30 minutes,
>>> stirring often, then add and stir in well,
>>> 1/2 cup Splenda
>>> 1/2 cup Sugar Twin Brown Sugar
>>>
>>> Test the flavor and add hot sauce until it's as "hot" as
>>> you like.
>>>
>>> let it simmer just a bit more to meld the flavors then
>>> serve (or bottle) the sauce.
>>>
>>> Adapted from recipe by Mike Willsey
>>>

>> I forgot to add the nutrient analysis.
>>
>> Each (2 Tbs) serving contains an estimated:
>> Cals: 50, FatCals: 1, TotalFat 0g
>> Chol: 0, Na: 849mg, K: 214mg
>> TotCarbs: 12g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 3g
>> NetCarbs: 10g, Protein: 1g
>>

>> --
>> Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
>> http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
>> promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org
>>

> Thanks. This could be a good start, although I would
> have to eliminate ingredients like hot sauce and tabasco
> sauce. I am concerned about the number of carbs, so I
> hope there is an alternative with less than that.
>
> How long will this remain good if refrigerated?
>
> Thanks,
> MaryL

It should keep for several weeks in the refrigerator.

Splenda Brown Sugar is 50% sugar. Try using all regular Splenda and adding a
couple of teaspoons of dark molassas. That should do the same thing
flavor-wise.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

1 cup sugarfree ketchup (low-carb ketchup like Heinz's One Carb)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tespoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 packets artificial sweetener of your choice (like Splenda)

To make the sauce:
In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients together. It is better when it
has been allowed to stand for an hour or so.
--
Joe W
T2 Nov '05

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Chinese BBQ Sauce (low carb)

1/2 cup Tomato sauce
2 tbsp Soy sauce
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp splenda
1 tsp Ground ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced

Combine all ingredients and heat until smooth and bubbly. (Don't continue to
boil though, or the soy's saltiness will intensify.)

Serving Size: 4

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 36 Calories; trace Fat (2.3% calories
from fat); 1g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol;
739mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates.

--
Joe W
T2 Nov '05
30mg Actos,3gr Cinnamon, Diet(100 carbs) & 3 mile walk(everyday) &
BowFlex(3x a week)
*****Diabetes, be proactive, not reactive.*****
If we impeach George Bush, who will replace him? Vice-President Dick Chaney
will replace him.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand
ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
http://themiddleground.blogspot.com/...democrats.html

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Spicy BBQ Sauce (low carb)

1 clove garlic, crushed
1 small onion, minced fine
1/4 cup butter or oil
3 - 4 Tbsp. Splenda
2 tsps. dark molasses
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Colmans dry mustard
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. horseradish
1 Tbsp. liquid smoke (or substitute a good smoky bacon chopped, cooked and
crumbled)
6 ounce can tomato paste

In a saucepan, cook the onion and garlic in the butter or oil for a few
minutes. Stir in all the dry ingredients, then stir in everything else but
the tomato paste and the liquid smoke. Let it simmer for about 15 - 20
minutes. Then whisk in the tomato paste and liquid smoke and let it simmer
another 5 - 10 minutes. Store in a jar in the refrigerator.

This makes about 2 2/3 cups of sauce, or about 21 one ounce (2 Tbsp.)
servings, at about 2.5 grams of usable carb grams per serving.

--
Joe W
T2 Nov '05
30mg Actos,3gr Cinnamon, Diet(100 carbs) & 3 mile walk(everyday) &
BowFlex(3x a week)
*****Diabetes, be proactive, not reactive.*****
If we impeach George Bush, who will replace him? Vice-President Dick Chaney
will replace him.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand
ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
http://themiddleground.blogspot.com/...democrats.html

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Joe wrote:
> Spicy BBQ Sauce (low carb)
>
> 1 clove garlic, crushed
> 1 small onion, minced fine
> 1/4 cup butter or oil
> 3 - 4 Tbsp. Splenda
> 2 tsps. dark molasses
> 1 tsp. salt
> 1 tsp. Colmans dry mustard
> 1 tsp. paprika
> 1 tsp. chili powder
> 1/2 tsp. black pepper
> 1 1/2 cups water
> 1/4 cup cider vinegar
> 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
> 1 Tbsp. horseradish
> 1 Tbsp. liquid smoke (or substitute a good smoky bacon
> chopped, cooked and crumbled)
> 6 ounce can tomato paste
>
> In a saucepan, cook the onion and garlic in the butter or
> oil for a few minutes. Stir in all the dry ingredients,
> then stir in everything else but the tomato paste and the
> liquid smoke. Let it simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes.
> Then whisk in the tomato paste and liquid smoke and let
> it simmer another 5 - 10 minutes. Store in a jar in the
> refrigerator.
>
> This makes about 2 2/3 cups of sauce, or about 21 one
> ounce (2 Tbsp.) servings, at about 2.5 grams of usable
> carb grams per serving.

All three of these sound excellent. I'll have to give each one a try.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Joe" > wrote in message
> Chinese BBQ Sauce (low carb)
>
> 1/2 cup Tomato sauce
> 2 tbsp Soy sauce
> 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
> 1 tbsp molasses
> 1 tbsp splenda
> 1 tsp Ground ginger
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
>

> Combine all ingredients and heat until smooth and bubbly. (Don't continue
> to boil though, or the soy's saltiness will intensify.)
>

> Serving Size: 4
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 36 Calories; trace Fat (2.3%
> calories from fat); 1g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
> Cholesterol; 739mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Vegetable; 0
> Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
>

> --
> Joe W
> T2 Nov '05
> 30mg Actos,3gr Cinnamon, Diet(100 carbs) & 3 mile walk(everyday) &
> BowFlex(3x a week)
> *****Diabetes, be proactive, not reactive.*****
> If we impeach George Bush, who will replace him? Vice-President Dick
> Chaney will replace him.
> "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
> stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
> http://themiddleground.blogspot.com/...democrats.html

Sounds good! I can eat all of these ingredients except ginger (allergic),
so I'm going to try it but without that one item. Low carb and easy to
prepare -- plus no hot spices. Just what I wanted. Thanks!!

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

MaryL wrote:

> I just got a Rival Crock Pot BBQ grill -- *much* more like a BBQ pit than a
> crock pot. I've tried it twice and made *very* tender roast and ribs.
>
> Can anyone recommend an *easy* sauce for ribs? My three criteria a (1)
> easy to prepare; (2) very low in sugar and carbs because I have diabetes, as
> do others on this group; and (3) very little use of hot spices or pepper
> because I have an intolerance, and my body can't handle much of that -- but
> I could also easily reduce or eliminate that part of an otherwise-good
> recipe.
>
> Thanks,
> MaryL

I have found a store bought brand that is low in carbs and sugar. 2 tbsp
serving is 15 calories. 5g carbs and 4g sugars. 210 sodium. The brand is
Stubbs Original, distributed by: Stubb's Legendary Kitchen, Inc. PO Box
40220, Austin, tX 78704. phone 512-480-0203. Website is www.ilovestubbs.com

Despite it being from Texas it is not spicy-hot at all.

DH is a T2 and we'd been using the Low Carb stuff from Lowery's but we
can't get it locally any more and it wasn't that tastey. DH liked the
Stubbs.

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryL
I just got a Rival Crock Pot BBQ grill -- *much* more like a BBQ pit than a
crock pot. I've tried it twice and made *very* tender roast and ribs.

Can anyone recommend an *easy* sauce for ribs? My three criteria a (1)
easy to prepare; (2) very low in sugar and carbs because I have diabetes, as
do others on this group; and (3) very little use of hot spices or pepper
because I have an intolerance, and my body can't handle much of that -- but
I could also easily reduce or eliminate that part of an otherwise-good
recipe.

Thanks,
MaryL
Onions are good, sauteed onions are better, caramelized onions are superb, but if you don't want to fuss, onion powder will do the trick.

If you're going with the splenda and molasses workaround for faux brown sugar, make sure you use blackstrap molasses for the most flavor with the least carbs. About 1/2 t. combined with a cup of splenda will make a cup of pretty darn good brown sugar. What splenda and bs molasses won't give you, though, is the sticky/gooey consistency associated with bbq sauce.

Are you sensitive to sugar alcohols? Those will give you a great sugary texture. Maltitol honey would be ideal for this type of application.

Heinz 1 carb
onion powder
dash of mustard
glob of honey
blackstrap molasses
little bit of splenda
vinegar
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> MaryL wrote:
>
>> I just got a Rival Crock Pot BBQ grill -- *much* more like a BBQ pit than
>> a crock pot. I've tried it twice and made *very* tender roast and ribs.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend an *easy* sauce for ribs? My three criteria a
>> (1) easy to prepare; (2) very low in sugar and carbs because I have
>> diabetes, as do others on this group; and (3) very little use of hot
>> spices or pepper because I have an intolerance, and my body can't handle
>> much of that -- but I could also easily reduce or eliminate that part of
>> an otherwise-good recipe.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> MaryL
>>

> I have found a store bought brand that is low in carbs and sugar. 2 tbsp
> serving is 15 calories. 5g carbs and 4g sugars. 210 sodium. The brand is
> Stubbs Original, distributed by: Stubb's Legendary Kitchen, Inc. PO Box
> 40220, Austin, tX 78704. phone 512-480-0203. Website is
> www.ilovestubbs.com
>
> Despite it being from Texas it is not spicy-hot at all.
>
> DH is a T2 and we'd been using the Low Carb stuff from Lowery's but we
> can't get it locally any more and it wasn't that tastey. DH liked the
> Stubbs.
>
> --
> -----------
> Janet Wilder
> The Road Princess
> http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

Thanks. I live in Texas, but I'm not familiar with that product. I'll try
to locate some.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"scott123" > wrote in message

> MaryL Wrote:
>> I just got a Rival Crock Pot BBQ grill -- *much* more like a BBQ pit
>> than a
>> crock pot. I've tried it twice and made *very* tender roast and ribs.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend an *easy* sauce for ribs? My three criteria a
>> (1)
>> easy to prepare; (2) very low in sugar and carbs because I have
>> diabetes, as
>> do others on this group; and (3) very little use of hot spices or
>> pepper
>> because I have an intolerance, and my body can't handle much of that --
>> but
>> I could also easily reduce or eliminate that part of an otherwise-good
>>
>> recipe.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> MaryL

> Onions are good, sauteed onions are better, caramelized onions are
> superb, but if you don't want to fuss, onion powder will do the trick.
>
> If you're going with the splenda and molasses workaround for faux brown
> sugar, make sure you use blackstrap molasses for the most flavor with
> the least carbs. About 1/2 t. combined with a cup of splenda will make
> a cup of pretty darn good brown sugar. What splenda and bs molasses
> won't give you, though, is the sticky/gooey consistency associated with
> bbq sauce.
>
> Are you sensitive to sugar alcohols? Those will give you a great sugary
> texture. Maltitol honey would be ideal for this type of application.
>
> Heinz 1 carb
> onion powder
> dash of mustard
> glob of honey
> blackstrap molasses
> little bit of splenda
> vinegar
>

> --
> scott123

I have never tried sugar alcohols. I'm really trying to avoid any of the
"sweet stuff" because I have done exceptionally well. I used to have a real
sweet tooth, but with my change of diet (since T2 diagnosis), I no longer
have those cravings. I don't want to eat things that might reactivate those
sensations. In addition, there are a number of foods that have given me
intestinal problems in the past. My current rather "bland" form of eating
has eliminated all that.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

MaryL wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> MaryL wrote:
>>
>>> I just got a Rival Crock Pot BBQ grill -- *much* more
>>> like a BBQ pit than a crock pot. I've tried it twice
>>> and made *very* tender roast and ribs.
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend an *easy* sauce for ribs? My
>>> three criteria a (1) easy to prepare; (2) very low
>>> in sugar and carbs because I have diabetes, as do
>>> others on this group; and (3) very little use of hot
>>> spices or pepper because I have an intolerance, and my
>>> body can't handle much of that -- but I could also
>>> easily reduce or eliminate that part of an otherwise-
>>> good recipe.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> MaryL
>>>

>> I have found a store bought brand that is low in carbs
>> and sugar. 2 tbsp serving is 15 calories. 5g carbs and
>> 4g sugars. 210 sodium. The brand is Stubbs Original,
>> distributed by: Stubb's Legendary Kitchen, Inc. PO Box
>> 40220, Austin, tX 78704. phone 512-480-0203. Website is
>> www.ilovestubbs.com
>>
>> Despite it being from Texas it is not spicy-hot at all.
>>
>> DH is a T2 and we'd been using the Low Carb stuff from
>> Lowery's but we can't get it locally any more and it
>> wasn't that tastey. DH liked the Stubbs.
>>
>> --
>> -----------
>> Janet Wilder
>> The Road Princess
>> http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

> Thanks. I live in Texas, but I'm not familiar with that
> product. I'll try to locate some.
>
> MaryL

Kroger's carries it.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> MaryL wrote:
>>
>>> I just got a Rival Crock Pot BBQ grill -- *much* more like a BBQ pit
>>> than a crock pot. I've tried it twice and made *very* tender roast and
>>> ribs.
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend an *easy* sauce for ribs? My three criteria a
>>> (1) easy to prepare; (2) very low in sugar and carbs because I have
>>> diabetes, as do others on this group; and (3) very little use of hot
>>> spices or pepper because I have an intolerance, and my body can't handle
>>> much of that -- but I could also easily reduce or eliminate that part of
>>> an otherwise-good recipe.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> MaryL
>>>

>> I have found a store bought brand that is low in carbs and sugar. 2 tbsp
>> serving is 15 calories. 5g carbs and 4g sugars. 210 sodium. The brand is
>> Stubbs Original, distributed by: Stubb's Legendary Kitchen, Inc. PO Box
>> 40220, Austin, tX 78704. phone 512-480-0203. Website is
>> www.ilovestubbs.com
>>
>> Despite it being from Texas it is not spicy-hot at all.
>>
>> DH is a T2 and we'd been using the Low Carb stuff from Lowery's but we
>> can't get it locally any more and it wasn't that tastey. DH liked the
>> Stubbs.
>>
>> --
>> -----------
>> Janet Wilder
>> The Road Princess
>> http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

> Thanks. I live in Texas, but I'm not familiar with that product. I'll
> try to locate some.
>
> MaryL

I can second that recommendation for Stubbs BBQ Sauce. I have been using it
for a couple of years. I lost the taste for sweet tasting sauces, and found
Stubbs. I still only like to give ribs a light coating and let others dip
or use a sauce to their taste as they eat. You can buy their products from
their website, but if you don't like a lot of spice, stay away from the
spicy sauce, and stick with the original. The marinades are very tasty too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

MaryL wrote:

>>I have found a store bought brand that is low in carbs and sugar. 2 tbsp
>>serving is 15 calories. 5g carbs and 4g sugars. 210 sodium. The brand is
>>Stubbs Original, distributed by: Stubb's Legendary Kitchen, Inc. PO Box
>>40220, Austin, tX 78704. phone 512-480-0203. Website is
>>www.ilovestubbs.com
>>
>>Despite it being from Texas it is not spicy-hot at all.
>>
>>DH is a T2 and we'd been using the Low Carb stuff from Lowery's but we
>>can't get it locally any more and it wasn't that tastey. DH liked the
>>Stubbs.
>>
>>--
>>-----------
>>Janet Wilder
>>The Road Princess
>>http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

> Thanks. I live in Texas, but I'm not familiar with that product. I'll try
> to locate some.
>
> MaryL

I got ours at HEB. It's a Texas chain, but mostly San Antonio and south.

-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> MaryL wrote:

>>> I have found a store bought brand that is low in carbs
>>> and sugar. 2 tbsp serving is 15 calories. 5g carbs and
>>> 4g sugars. 210 sodium. The brand is Stubbs Original,
>>> distributed by: Stubb's Legendary Kitchen, Inc. PO Box
>>> 40220, Austin, tX 78704. phone 512-480-0203. Website is
>>> www.ilovestubbs.com
>>>
>>> Despite it being from Texas it is not spicy-hot at all.
>>>
>>> DH is a T2 and we'd been using the Low Carb stuff from
>>> Lowery's but we can't get it locally any more and it
>>> wasn't that tastey. DH liked the Stubbs.
>>>
>>> --
>>> -----------
>>> Janet Wilder
>>> The Road Princess
>>> http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

>> Thanks. I live in Texas, but I'm not familiar with that
>> product. I'll try to locate some.
>>
>> MaryL

> Kroger's carries it.
>
> --
> Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
> http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
> promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Great! We have *two* Kroger's in town.

Thanks, again.
MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> MaryL wrote:
>
>>>I have found a store bought brand that is low in carbs and sugar. 2 tbsp
>>>serving is 15 calories. 5g carbs and 4g sugars. 210 sodium. The brand is
>>>Stubbs Original, distributed by: Stubb's Legendary Kitchen, Inc. PO Box
>>>40220, Austin, tX 78704. phone 512-480-0203. Website is
>>>www.ilovestubbs.com
>>>
>>>Despite it being from Texas it is not spicy-hot at all.
>>>
>>>DH is a T2 and we'd been using the Low Carb stuff from Lowery's but we
>>>can't get it locally any more and it wasn't that tastey. DH liked the
>>>Stubbs.
>>>
>>>--
>>>-----------
>>>Janet Wilder
>>>The Road Princess
>>>http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

>> Thanks. I live in Texas, but I'm not familiar with that product. I'll
>> try to locate some.
>>
>> MaryL

> I got ours at HEB. It's a Texas chain, but mostly San Antonio and south.

> Janet Wilder
> The Road Princess
> http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

I'm in luck, then. We have two Kroger's in town (referenced by Pete Romfh)
and also an HEB!

Thanks.
MaryL