Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Thin Pizzas

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 13:16:53 -0500, "Karen C."
> wrote:

>Alan S wrote:
>> About the only thing I do bake is my home-made incredibly
>> thin pizza bases. It's the only way I can eat a reasonable
>> size pizza without spiking.

>I'm big on making pizza myself. Will have to look for a thin
>crust now, though.
>
>Karen C.

Minimal Carb Pizza

Ingredients

Pastry:
Bread flour
yeast

Topping base :
Napoli sauce, one cup (posted earlier) see
http://tinyurl.com/22phg
Shredded Mozzarella cheese,
Grated Parmesan Cheese.

Suggested Toppings: Any or all, in small quantities:
shredded ham or bacon (pre-cook slightly and drain if you
want minimal fat)
pineapple pieces (for the non-diabetic spouse)
sliced mushrooms
sliced capsicum (bell pepper)
chopped olives
anchovies
sliced onion
sliced tomato
whatever is your favourite

Pastry for four medium or eight individual pizzas.

Use your favourite bread recipe and make up the standard
amount for one loaf, based on 500gm (just over 1 lb) of
flour. I usually use a wholemeal flour with added bran and
psyllium husk, but use your own.

Let it get to the stage of final rising. I don't use a
machine - if you do, don't let it cook!
Then pound it down and divide into eight equal portions.
That's right - 8. Shape into balls, cover in cling wrap, and
freeze for future use.

Pizza.

Thaw a dough ball and allow it to rise until doubled in
size.
Punch it down, knead a little (I know it's small) and then
roll with a rolling pin or similar into a circle. Keep
rolling and stretching until you have a thin circle about
10" (25 cm) diameter. Spray your tray with olive or canola
oil and spread the pastry on it. I know it looks awfully
thin; let it sit for at least half an hour in a warm place
to rise a little and get a little thicker. It will rise
further in cooking.

In the meantime, prepare or thaw a cup of napoli sauce.
Prepare your toppings and warm the oven to 200c (390 F).

When the pastry is ready, spread the napoli sauce over it.
Sprinkle or arrange your toppings on the pizza, finally
spread liberally with the mozzarella and sprinkle with the
grated parmesan.

Bake for about 15 minutes, checking regularly after 8.

Use your meter to see whether your limit is a half-pizza or
a full one next time:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> Minimal Carb Pizza

Got it! Looks good. Will give it a try. Thanks!

Karen C.

Pizzas vs Tarts Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 37 08-11-2011 09:02 PM
Pizzas Christine Dabney General Cooking 22 15-12-2007 06:14 AM
freezing pizzas? anthony Baking 5 15-10-2007 11:51 PM
Mini Pizzas Michele Recipes (moderated) 0 13-07-2006 04:07 AM
Veggie Pizzas Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 27-04-2005 02:42 AM