Old 08-04-2009, 12:01 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Can anyone invent me a couple of dishes

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
Evelyn wrote:
"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
Evelyn wrote:
"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
RodS wrote:
Tiger Lily wrote:

oh Rod,

frozen shoulder left me eating hot dogs and hamburgers as they
require no utensils to cook or eat them with (ok, a spatula to flip
them)

hope you are over this in short order!

kate
Thanks, I thought I was over the worst of it but it's got worse since
Christmas, someone with this invented microwaves I think :-)

Rod, i had frozen shoulder in my right arm for about 5 months before i
told my GP about it........ and i went for physio treatment on it for
close to a year.......... in the interim, i got frozen shoulder in the
LEFT arm as well..... the osteo Dr told me 'no, i won't give you a
steroid shot for this, and i want you to stop all physio therapy right
now.'

i was rather shocked and a bit worried about this approach

within 6 weeks, my right arm 'recovered' and another 2 weeks later my
left arm 'recovered'

i could not believe it, the left arm had frozen shoulder for a
FRACTION of the time the right arm had it

it still wasn't much fun when i was suffering from it......... hope
yours resolves itself quickly!

kate

That is so strange, Kate. My orthopedic doc and all the others I know
of recommend physical therapy before anything else. I had a broken
shoulder, and it is because of the physical therapy that I regained use
of it as much as I have today.

Evelyn, i have had great success with physio therapy for a number of
injuries.........from whiplash to a sprained ankle and more

the treatment for frozen shoulder didn't work for me

the physio also did accupuncture, but i was hesitant and never asked
her....... she never pushed for it

but, boy, those HOT pads they put under/around the shoulder sure made me
feel better (temporarily)

kate

My guy put hot compresses on when I first arrived. Then I had to do
certain motions, raising alternate arms using a pulley and little handles
for a while. Then there were stretches using a bar. Then that
advanced to exercises using weights, then the therapist would come in and
gently make the shoulder move to the furthest degree he could manage (and
that hurt like you can't believe) and finally he'd finish up with an ice
compress.

This routine went on for about 7 months, 3 times a week, with some small
variations to keep it interesting. By the time 7 mos. had passed, I was
doing pretty well. But I was still assessed to have lost 50% of my
right arm's range of motion.

It took a really long time for it to finally stop being excruciatingly
painful. Even now till this day, 5 yrs later, I still need to do some
of the exercises from time to time to maintain and not lose ground.

oh, Evelyn, i sure hear you!

i do stretching exercises to keep my shoulder's moving

i NEVER want to go thru frozen shoulder again

your physio sounds very similar to mine, except, i didn't have weights, i
had elastic tubes and i pulled in different directions from where it was
attached......... different colours of tubes were different resistance,
and if one tube got too easy to do, they would give me the next one up the
ladder

i also got tubes for doing the exercises at home

physio is $50/visit, after the $75 visit for assessment....... my
insurance pays for $300 visits per their calendar year...... so i went
once a week and worked at home a lot

kate

Yes, I had the rubber tubes to pull also. I had to go so often because the
break was so severe I could have lost the use of that arm even more if I
didn't go through the entire routine. It was a nighmare.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Old 08-04-2009, 11:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan wrote

: I "used" was deliberate past tense. Mum did us a favour when
: she visited and pulled out the funny weeds in the garden.
: She's actually quite a keen gardener - but had never seen
: oregano before and it had overgrown a bit. Time to buy some
: more seeds or seedlings:-)

Hi Alan,

LOL well sort of. In reality I'm commiserating with you.

We had some Australian relatives visiting and while I was out they
decided to help me by weeding the garden. Unfortunately they weren't
familiar with NZ ground cover plants. Plants that had taken years to
establish disappeared.

My father in law (English) getting into the spirit of things continued
the tidy up. Any plant he didn't recognise got removed. Clivia $20
to $30 each went. So did winter rose. The only thing left was a sign
that said "Welcome to my garden." All in all at least $200 worth of
garden plants and years of tender loving care had disappeared. A fig
was over pruned and it died. So did some flowering bushes. Pruning
here and in England is different. With fruit trees they prune hard to
get vegetative growth. Here we try to discourage it. We want laterals
for fruiting.

It has taken years to recover the garden and it now looks lovely. The
ground cover plants have never been fully replaced.
The effort is too much. The replacement fig has had a magnificent
Autumn crop even though it is still a relatively small tree. Life
moves on.

The good thing is I know you are a hardy soul who will bounce back
like a weed. grin
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, #,# [

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Old 09-04-2009, 01:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message

I was walking through a parking lot on my way to a club meeting in a
restaurant, and there was a pot hole full of gravel. My foot turned and
slid and down I went, falling forward. I tried to catch myself with my
right arm and it shattered the shoulder in a compound fracture. The top
of the humerus bone was broken off, and another piece ripped off and was
pulled across the chest. It was two surgeries, months of unbearable
agony, many months of physical therapy, and for the rest of my life I will
only have 50% mobility of that arm. You don't want to know what a lousy
settlement I got for it either. It was pitiful. And yes, I am an
artist. A bad deal all around.

I understand that Actos has been associated with brittle bones. I was on
Actos for a couple of years before it happened. Don't know if that
affected it any. I do have osteoporosis, however, which I found out last
year for sure. This injury happened in the fall of 2004.

I remember when that happened Evelyn...ghastly.

Cheri

Old 09-04-2009, 08:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote in message

[...]

I am so paranoid of falls and broken bones now, you can't believe it.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily wrote:
: Evelyn wrote:
: "Tiger Lily" wrote in message
:
[...]

I had boh the stretchy bands and the weights for dirrerent exercises. I
have some for home use, but am spending more energy on my back exercises.
Fortuantely, I wa able to get as much time as I needed for my shoulder as,
at that time, Medicare was not limiting the $ value of the therapy. Now
you are lmited to about $1,900 total in each year.

Wendy

Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:10:11 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

Where are you getting these 3 year old threads from? Hope you are feeling
well today Quentin. It is turning out be a nice afternoon here on the Gold
Coast.

Hi Ozgirl,

Three years old? I'm sure it is a technical fault.

I'm doing pretty well. My cousin is coming for lunch and my daughter
will take me for my lymphodemia massage. It is hard to ask for more.
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, #,# [

Old 08-07-2009, 11:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

Where are you getting these 3 year old threads from? Hope you are
feeling
well today Quentin. It is turning out be a nice afternoon here on the Gold
Coast.

Hi Ozgirl,

Three years old? I'm sure it is a technical fault.

I'm doing pretty well. My cousin is coming for lunch and my daughter
will take me for my lymphodemia massage. It is hard to ask for more.

I think 3 months, but I remember Donna saying that you were maybe just
catching up on some, doesn't matter...your information is always welcome.
Sounds like a good day today, I'm glad. :-)

Cheri

Old 08-07-2009, 11:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

Where are you getting these 3 year old threads from? Hope you are
feeling
well today Quentin. It is turning out be a nice afternoon here on the
Gold
Coast.

Hi Ozgirl,

Three years old? I'm sure it is a technical fault.

I'm doing pretty well. My cousin is coming for lunch and my daughter
will take me for my lymphodemia massage. It is hard to ask for more.

I think 3 months, but I remember Donna saying that you were maybe just
catching up on some, doesn't matter...your information is always welcome.
Sounds like a good day today, I'm glad. :-)

I remember that thread. Not three years old, but I think it is older than
three months. Then again, my memory is shot!

Old 09-07-2009, 12:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

Where are you getting these 3 year old threads from? Hope you are
feeling
well today Quentin. It is turning out be a nice afternoon here on the
Gold
Coast.

Hi Ozgirl,

Three years old? I'm sure it is a technical fault.

I'm doing pretty well. My cousin is coming for lunch and my daughter
will take me for my lymphodemia massage. It is hard to ask for more.

I think 3 months, but I remember Donna saying that you were maybe just
catching up on some, doesn't matter...your information is always welcome.
Sounds like a good day today, I'm glad. :-)

I remember that thread. Not three years old, but I think it is older than
three months. Then again, my memory is shot!

I was just looking at the header, it says Fri, 3 April 2009. :-)

Cheri

Old 10-07-2009, 08:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 17:13:30 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
wrote:

Quentin Grady wrote:

: Hi Jan,

: I don't get much chance to cook now. Standing for more than a few
: minutes without sticks is painful. So cooking is a shared experience.
: I have a caregiver twice a day to help me.
: --
: Quentin Grady ^ ^ /

I have a folding 3 step ladder in the kitchen that I often use to sit on
while cooking. Some jobs I can do right fro the ladder and some I have to
stand for, but can get down onto the ladder top step ASAP when the
particular task is done. Works for cutting vegetble, stirring things in
pots that are not too tall, etc.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy,

There are two features that work against that. One our kitchen is too
small. Secondly the ladder doesn't converse. I have an excellent
caregiver who both cooks and listens and I listen to her. It is like
daily counseling that keeps us both sane.
]
Thanks all the same for an excellent suggestion.
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, #,# [

Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Quentin Grady wrote:
: On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 17:13:30 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
: wrote:

: Quentin Grady wrote:
:
: : Hi Jan,
:
: : I don't get much chance to cook now. Standing for more than a few
: : minutes without sticks is painful. So cooking is a shared experience.
: : I have a caregiver twice a day to help me.
: : --
: : Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
:
: I have a folding 3 step ladder in the kitchen that I often use to sit on
: while cooking. Some jobs I can do right fro the ladder and some I have to
: stand for, but can get down onto the ladder top step ASAP when the
: particular task is done. Works for cutting vegetble, stirring things in
: pots that are not too tall, etc.
:
: Wendy

: Thanks Wendy,

: There are two features that work against that. One our kitchen is too
: small. Secondly the ladder doesn't converse. I have an excellent
: caregiver who both cooks and listens and I listen to her. It is like
: daily counseling that keeps us both sane.
: ]
: Thanks all the same for an excellent suggestion.
: --
: Quentin Grady ^ ^ /

Is the kitchen too small for both a folding ladder(opened) and a
caregiver? One is for sitting and the other is for helping, conversing
and fetching things for you. Try it! For me, I get all the ingredients
out onto the counter(like a chef's mis in place) adn then perchon the
adder and cut, mix, etc to my heart's content(and my back's ease). It
greatly reduces the staning time for me.

Wendy

Old 10-07-2009, 10:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Quentin Grady wrote:
: On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 17:13:30 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
: wrote:

: Quentin Grady wrote:
:
: : Hi Jan,
:
[...]

When I was at my worst, I bought a sturdy bar stool. No back but it
swivels. I could sit there for an hour or two at a time, although I did
need to take some breaks because I really can't sit for that long, and cut
up veggies and things. If need be, I could put it in front of the stove.

Angela took a ball point pen or scissors or something to it (I forget now)
when we lived in NY and punched a bunch of holes in the black seat. I then
ordered a red cover for it from a restaurant supply house. Looks just like
new! Angela has it now. She sits on it and spins.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:05 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 13:37:17 -0400, "Evelyn"
wrote:

I absolutely cannot stand for long anymore. I went to a yard sale given by
a lady friend and she had a laboratory stool, just like an office chair but
a tad higher and with wheels. That is my cooking chair. When I have to
stand at the stove anymore, I sit on that chair. It is attractive looking,
clean, and it rolls right out of the way when I need to move quickly for
this or that. Standing too long on my feet makes me exhausted and my legs
hurt. That chair has really helped.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Hi Evelyn,

It is amazing how resourceful we all are in finding solutions. For
me having a caregiver come and help prepare meals serves the double
function of having someone to talk to, someone to listen to and to be
listened to by. In my situation the regular counseling and contact
with the outside world is as important as being able to stand to
prepare meals.

kind regards
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, #,# [

Old 12-07-2009, 06:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 20:31:10 -0600, Tiger Lily wrote:

frozen shoulder left me eating hot dogs and hamburgers as they require
no utensils to cook or eat them with (ok, a spatula to flip them)

hope you are over this in short order!

kate

Hi Kate,

Our favourite dish is the Moroccan casserole mentioned in Nutrition
for Blokes. It is very tolerant of what ever vegetables are available
at the time. The difficult part for you would be getting the casserole
dish out of the oven. You'd have to get someone else to do that for
you. Sometimes I manage it myself. Sometimes I have to wait for Tricia
to come home. It works for us.

kind regards.
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /