FoodBanter.com

-   -   A friend going in for surgery (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/81624-friend-going-surgery.html)

spiritpraise 31-01-2006 01:42 PM

A friend going in for surgery

Hi,
I am new to this site. I am looking for some recipes for soup mix in a
jar that I can send a diabetic friend who is going in for surgery on
his hands. I am looking for something he can mix and microwave, and
that does not have too many expensive ingredients. Now there is the
challenge, anybody out there have any ideas?
Also wondering what else I could put in the gift package, that I will
send him to make his recouperation go easier, have any ideas? He goes
in for surgery on Valentine's day, so time is short. Thanks for the
ideas, and recipes.

Julie Bove[_1_] 31-01-2006 06:15 PM

A friend going in for surgery

"spiritpraise" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
> I am new to this site. I am looking for some recipes for soup mix in a
> jar that I can send a diabetic friend who is going in for surgery on
> his hands. I am looking for something he can mix and microwave, and
> that does not have too many expensive ingredients. Now there is the
> challenge, anybody out there have any ideas?
> Also wondering what else I could put in the gift package, that I will
> send him to make his recouperation go easier, have any ideas? He goes
> in for surgery on Valentine's day, so time is short. Thanks for the
> ideas, and recipes.

What kind of diet is your friend on? There is no one diet we all follow.
And if he is having hand surgery, would he even be able to use the
microwave?

--
See my webpage:

Pete Romfh[_1_] 31-01-2006 11:54 PM

spiritpraise wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to this site. I am looking for some recipes for
> soup mix in a jar that I can send a diabetic friend who
> is going in for surgery on his hands. I am looking for
> something he can mix and microwave, and that does not
> have too many expensive ingredients. Now there is the
> challenge, anybody out there have any ideas? Also
> wondering what else I could put in the gift package, that
> I will send him to make his recouperation go easier, have
> any ideas? He goes in for surgery on Valentine's day, so
> time is short. Thanks for the ideas, and recipes.

What a diabetic may eat is quite variable. The big thing with any recipe is
to be able to tell them what nutrients it contains so that they can estimate
how it may affect them. Dry mix is actually tougher nutrition wise because
the available ingredients are more limited. Having said that, here's a
recipe to start from:

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Marnies Cream of Anything Soup Mix

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine: Uncategorized
Main Ingredient: Soup

-= Ingredients =-
1/4 cup Nonfat dry milk
4 teaspoons Cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons Dry chicken soup base or
1 teaspoon Dried onion flakes
1 dash Dried thyme
1 dash Dried dill weed
1 dash Celery salt

-= Instructions =-
Makes 1/3 cup dry mix The following recipes and tips were in an article
in the Food Day section of the Oregonian. They are from Marnie Swedberg,
author of "Marnies Kitchen Shortcuts."

Mix dry milk, cornstarch, soup base, onion flakes, thyme, dill and celery
salt.
For equivalent of 1 can cream of chicken soup: Combine and heat 1/3 cup dry
mix and 1 1/4 cups water.
For equivalent of 1 can cream of mushroom soup: Combine and heat 1/3 cup
dry mix, 1 1/4 cups water, 2 ounces finely chopped mushroom pieces and 1
teaspoon salt.
For equivalent of 1 can cream of celery soup: Combine and heat 1/3 cup dry
mix, 1 1/4 cups water and 1/8 cup celery flakes.

Tips: * Store homemade mixes in airtight, moisture-proof containers or in
resealable freezer bags. Swedberg prefers sour cream and cottage cheese
containers; for large batches, she uses ice cream buckets and deli
containers. * Mixes containing shortening or bread crumbs will stay fresh
for six months. Spice mixes will stay fresh longer, but tastes and aromas
may decline with age. Freezing extends shelf life. * An empty shoe box
works well as a "filing cabinet" for plastic freezer bags filled with dry
mixes. * Label mixes as you prepare them. Include the name of the mix,
date assembled and use instructions. Try self-adhesive labels or a small
square of paper taped to the container. * Assembly will go more quickly
if you use two sets of measuring utensils: one for dry ingredients and the
other for shortening.

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. BigOven.com ID=
156587 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

Try going to this link and typing in "soup mix" as the search term. There
were several variations of recipes listed there.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

spiritpraise 01-02-2006 12:32 PM

A friend going in for surgery

Thank you for the ideas. I will ask him the next time about his
personal diet, so I will put in the things he needs. Yes he will be
able to use the microwave. Also thanks pete for the big oven site will
check it out.