Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default "Candied" Fruits

There ws a brief discussion on a food mailing list I read requesting a way
o make candies orange and/or grapefruit peels with artificial sweeteners.
I don't think you can really do this without the sugar as you will just
get a kind of stewed fruit peels. I had ried to make something like my
Mother;s crabapple and kumquat dishes that were cooked in a sugar syrup
until they became translucent and the sryup became very think adn gummy.
i just had pleasant stewed fruit, for my efforts.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? Would any of the sugr alcohols
make such "danied" fruits or fruit peels plssible? The discussion had
started over candied ginger, something I do miss:-(

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> The discussion had
> started over candied ginger, something I do miss:-(

It's possible (occasionally) to get an Australian sugar-free candied ginger
over here, in my favourite kitchen appliances shop - it's done with sugar
alcohols, so it must be possible, but as I seem to absorb most of them as if
they were pure sugar, I give in and eat the real thing from time to time - I
figure a piece of candied ginger is about 5g CHO, and might take me half an
hour to eat, so what the heck : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> There ws a brief discussion on a food mailing list I read requesting a way
> o make candies orange and/or grapefruit peels with artificial sweeteners.
> I don't think you can really do this without the sugar as you will just
> get a kind of stewed fruit peels. I had ried to make something like my
> Mother;s crabapple and kumquat dishes that were cooked in a sugar syrup
> until they became translucent and the sryup became very think adn gummy.
> i just had pleasant stewed fruit, for my efforts.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about this? Would any of the sugr alcohols
> make such "danied" fruits or fruit peels plssible? The discussion had
> started over candied ginger, something I do miss:-(

I don't think it's possible because the sugar in candied fruit is what gives
it the texture it has. Artificial sweeteners add only sweetness. Not bulk.
And they don't caramelize.

--
See my webpage:

Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Baker
Would any of the sugr alcohols
make such "danied" fruits or fruit peels plssible? The discussion had
started over candied ginger, something I do miss:-(
Maltitol can be subbed 1 for 1 with sugar in your Mother's dishes. It will also work for crystallized ginger. It can be laxating, though. Erythritol isn't laxating and will crystallize but it has a strong cooling effect so the ginger will have a mintyness to it. Polydextrose will get thick and syrupy, just a like a sugar syrup will, but it won't crystallize.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon 30 Jan 2006 06:56:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it scott123?

> W. Baker Wrote:
>> Would any of the sugr alcohols
>> make such "danied" fruits or fruit peels plssible? The discussion
>> had started over candied ginger, something I do miss:-(

> Maltitol can be subbed 1 for 1 with sugar in your Mother's dishes. It
> will also work for crystallized ginger. It can be laxating, though.
> Erythritol isn't laxating and will crystallize but it has a strong
> cooling effect so the ginger will have a mintyness to it. Polydextrose
> will get thick and syrupy, just a like a sugar syrup will, but it won't
> crystallize.

You seem to know a lot about these sweeteners, Scott. Do you know of a good
reference on how to use them in recipes? Also sources?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Boatwright

W. Baker Wrote:
Would any of the sugr alcohols
make such "danied" fruits or fruit peels plssible? The discussion
had started over candied ginger, something I do miss:-(

Maltitol can be subbed 1 for 1 with sugar in your Mother's dishes. It
will also work for crystallized ginger. It can be laxating, though.
Erythritol isn't laxating and will crystallize but it has a strong
cooling effect so the ginger will have a mintyness to it. Polydextrose
will get thick and syrupy, just a like a sugar syrup will, but it won't
crystallize.

You seem to know a lot about these sweeteners, Scott. Do you know of a good
reference on how to use them in recipes? Also sources?
A single reference, no. Although commercial outfits have been using polyd for years in sugar free products, it's only been available to the home cook for about a year and a half. Erythritol has a slightly longer home use history, but it's still relatively short when compared to other sugar alcohols such as xylitol or sorbitol that have been available for decades. Because these are new products for the home cook, there isn't a great deal of information about them. At least nothing centralized. I get most of my information from discussion forums, online trade magazines, manufacturers and quite a bit of trial and error/personal observation. Tidbits of information are scattered all over the web. Not only is information scattered here and yond, because most of it is geared toward commercial applications it can get pretty scientific.

When I first read your question, I thought about the possibility of compiling as many links as I could that relate to these ingredients. The more that I thought about it, the more gargantuan the task became. I really can't spend that kind of time on it, but if you want, say 15-20 introductory links, I could compile a list for you.

As far as sources go, that's a piece of cake. I don't bake with maltitol due to it's potentially laxating effects and sketchy GI, but I get my erythritol and polydextrose from Honeyville Grains.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

scott123 > wrote:

: W. Baker Wrote:
: > Would any of the sugr alcohols
: > make such "danied" fruits or fruit peels plssible? The discussion
: > had
: > started over candied ginger, something I do miss:-(

: Maltitol can be subbed 1 for 1 with sugar in your Mother's dishes. It
: will also work for crystallized ginger. It can be laxating, though.
: Erythritol isn't laxating and will crystallize but it has a strong
: cooling effect so the ginger will have a mintyness to it. Polydextrose
: will get thick and syrupy, just a like a sugar syrup will, but it won't
: crystallize.

: --
: scott123

Thanks for the information. I will pass it on, but I don't think I am
likely to try it. I woudl hae to use the erythritol, as I fear that
Malatol causes me severe distress. Might try it with the crab aples or
kumquats, s they are ot "candied" just syrupy and raslucent.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

scott123 > wrote:

: As far as sources go, -that's- a piece of cake. I don't bake with
: maltitol due to it's potentially laxating effects and sketchy 'GI'
: (http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm), but I get my erythritol and
: polydextrose from 'Honeyville Grains' (http://tinyurl.com/c3pb8).

: --
: scott123

Is plydextrose non-laxitive too?

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker Boldly typed:
> There ws a brief discussion on a food mailing list I read requesting
> a way o make candies orange and/or grapefruit peels with artificial
> sweeteners. I don't think you can really do this without the sugar
> as
> you will just get a kind of stewed fruit peels. I had ried to make
> something like my Mother;s crabapple and kumquat dishes that were
> cooked in a sugar syrup until they became translucent and the sryup
> became very think adn gummy. i just had pleasant stewed fruit, for
> my
> efforts.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about this? Would any of the sugr
> alcohols
> make such "danied" fruits or fruit peels plssible? The discussion
> had started over candied ginger, something I do miss:-(
>
> Wendy

What about Stevia?
--
Blessed Be,
Nightspirit

The world wide web at my finger tips and I can't find anything
interesting.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed 01 Feb 2006 05:11:26a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it scott123?

> Wayne Boatwright Wrote:
>> On Mon 30 Jan 2006 06:56:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> scott123? -
>>
>> W. Baker Wrote: -
>> Would any of the sugr alcohols
>> make such "danied" fruits or fruit peels plssible? The discussion
>> had started over candied ginger, something I do miss:-( -
>>
>> Maltitol can be subbed 1 for 1 with sugar in your Mother's dishes. It
>> will also work for crystallized ginger. It can be laxating, though.
>> Erythritol isn't laxating and will crystallize but it has a strong
>> cooling effect so the ginger will have a mintyness to it.
>> Polydextrose
>> will get thick and syrupy, just a like a sugar syrup will, but it won't
>> crystallize.-
>>
>> You seem to know a lot about these sweeteners, Scott. Do you know of a
>> good reference on how to use them in recipes? Also sources?

> A single reference, no. Although commercial outfits have been using
> polyd for years in sugar free products, it's only been available to the
> home cook for about a year and a half. Erythritol has a slightly longer
> home use history, but it's still relatively short when compared to other
> sugar alcohols such as xylitol or sorbitol that have been available for
> decades. Because these are new products for the home cook, there isn't
> a great deal of information about them. At least nothing centralized. I
> get most of my information from discussion forums, online trade
> magazines, manufacturers and quite a bit of trial and error/personal
> observation. Tidbits of information are scattered all over the web. Not
> only is information scattered here and yond, because most of it is
> geared toward commercial applications it can get pretty scientific.
>
> When I first read your question, I thought about the possibility of
> compiling as many links as I could that relate to these ingredients.
> The more that I thought about it, the more gargantuan the task became.
> I really can't spend that kind of time on it, but if you want, say 15-20
> introductory links, I could compile a list for you.
>
> As far as sources go, -that's- a piece of cake. I don't bake with
> maltitol due to it's potentially laxating effects and sketchy 'GI'
> (http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm), but I get my erythritol and
> polydextrose from 'Honeyville Grains' (http://tinyurl.com/c3pb8).

Thanks, Scott. You've given me a lot to think about and look for.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Night Spirit > wrote:
: W. Baker Boldly typed:
: > There ws a brief discussion on a food mailing list I read requesting
: > a way o make candies orange and/or grapefruit peels with artificial
: > sweeteners. I don't think you can really do this without the sugar
: > as
: > you will just get a kind of stewed fruit peels. I had ried to make
: > something like my Mother;s crabapple and kumquat dishes that were
: > cooked in a sugar syrup until they became translucent and the sryup
: > became very think adn gummy. i just had pleasant stewed fruit, for
: > my
: > efforts.
: >
: > Does anyone have any ideas about this? Would any of the sugr
: > alcohols
: > make such "danied" fruits or fruit peels plssible? The discussion
: > had started over candied ginger, something I do miss:-(
: >
: > Wendy

: What about Stevia?

It wouldn't fit the bill. It doesn't crystalize or make thicky syrupy
liquits adn translucent fruit. Same reason Splenda, Sweet and Low or
Aspertame wouldn't work for this purpose.

Wendy
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Baker
Yes... and no. It's a little complex. Polyd acts like fiber in the body (with all the associated health benefits), so for people not use to consuming fiber, it can cause some gastric distress. Unlike non erythritol sugar alcohols (such as maltitol), a tolerance can be developed. My recommendation is to start small until your body becomes adjusted to it. Even when gastric distress is reported, the magnitude of it is no where near the symptoms caused by maltitol and lactitol. It's usually just gas.

It isn't perfect. Out of, say, the 400 people who I know have tried polyd/are baking with it, maybe 5 people can't consume it in any quantity no matter what they do. Don't forget, though, that the vast majority of these 400 chose to bake with polyd because they couldn't consume maltitol. When you start looking at polyd sensitivity from a national perspective, I'd say the number of peole with low tolerance is fairly miniscule.

Maltitol is a slightly closer replica to the texture of sugar (polyd is more like corn syrup), but polyd blows it out of the water when you look it from a laxation/GI perspective. For people looking for sugary texture (gooey/chewy/moist) and can't consume maltitol, this is definitely the top banana. As it's a crystallization inhibitor, it's ideal for use with erythritol. With the right ratio, the erythritol can't crystallize and will have no cooling effect.

If you're concerned about your tolerance, take a trip to the supermarket. The list of sugar free products that utilize polyd is huge. Grab a low carb ice cream- they're all polyd based. I prefer Chocolate Turkey Hill but Breyer's carbsmart might be more widely available. There's some sorbitol in it so that might skew the results a bit, but it should give you an idea of how well you tolerate polyd.

As you might have guessed, I love the stuff It's completely revolutionized my approach to sugar free baking.