Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Ferd Berfle

Default Any good home made ketchup recipies for diabetics?

I'm a ketchup lover, and really miss piling it on ground beef dishes
such as meatloaf and hamburgers. With soooo much sugar and how much I
like to pile on, it's been forbidden since Dx.

A couple weeks ago, I used simple Hunt's tomato sauce with some
Splenda and a dash of garlic sauce. Of course it was not as good as
real ketchup, but it had possibilities. Has anybody experimented with
home made ketchup, replacing the sugars and syrups with no-cal
sweeteners?

Fred
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Blash

Ferd Berfle writes:

> I'm a ketchup lover, and really miss piling it on ground beef dishes
> such as meatloaf and hamburgers. With soooo much sugar and how much I
> like to pile on, it's been forbidden since Dx.

Heinz ketchup has only 4g sugar in a tsp......have you tried just using a
little less???...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S

x-post cut

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:27:07 -0500, Ferd Berfle
> wrote:

>I'm a ketchup lover, and really miss piling it on ground beef dishes
>such as meatloaf and hamburgers. With soooo much sugar and how much I
>like to pile on, it's been forbidden since Dx.
>
>A couple weeks ago, I used simple Hunt's tomato sauce with some
>Splenda and a dash of garlic sauce. Of course it was not as good as
>real ketchup, but it had possibilities. Has anybody experimented with
>home made ketchup, replacing the sugars and syrups with no-cal
>sweeteners?
>
>Fred

Hi Fred

Not ketchup, but a tomatoey sauce of my own.

This is a re-post from a while back.

I cook this sauce up in bulk, then use it in various other
recipes like Spaghetti Bolognese, Stuffed Mushrooms etc. I
also like it as a sugar-free alternative to ketchup on
steak, hamburgers and other cooked meats.

It will keep for a few days in the fridge, but I mostly
freeze it in two ways. About half of a bulk lot I freeze as
ice cubes which I then transfer to an old ice-cream
container in the freezer for ready use. Then I can defrost
the number necessary without waste, as I often cook for one.
The remainder I freeze in larger 2 or 3 cup serves for use
in making Spag Bol etc.

All of my recipes are very flexible. In this case vary
ingredients, particularly herbs, to your own taste. However,
it's best to follow the recipe with a small test try first.

Bulk Napoli Sauce

Basic units:

1 can (about 400g or 14 oz) peeled tomatoes,
or fresh equivalent.
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste (optional)
1 clove of garlic, minced
olive oil
1 teaspoon of dried basil or a few chopped leaves. If you
like other herbs such as oregano, thyme etc, just adjust to
your taste, but basil is basic to the recipe.
cracked black pepper to taste
salt to taste

Sweat the chopped onion in a large pot over medium heat
until translucent but not brown. Use a little olive oil to
prevent sticking to the pot.
Add the minced garlic and cook until also translucent.
Chop the tomatoes and add to the pot with their juice. For
large quantities drain the liquid into the onion mix and use
a processor for the solids in batches.
Add the basil/herbs and bring to a slow covered simmer.
Allow to simmer as long as possible, but at least an hour,
until the tomato breaks down and the onion seems to almost
disappear.
Check and stir occasionally to prevent sticking; add a
little water if the mixture gets too thick.
When the sauce is cooked it should be thickish but still
liquid and pourable. Adjust seasoning near the end.
For a richer, thicker sauce add the tomato paste towards the
finish and cook while stirring until it is cooked in. If you
add it too early you will need to watch more closely for
sticking.

For bulk cooking I just multiply; usually I cook about six
cans worth. How much you cook depends on the size of your
saucepan/cooker and storage/freezing facilities.

As you increase the quantity you may need to adjust the
onion, garlic and basil quantities down a little in
proportion.

Bon Appetit
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ferd Berfle

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:50:06 +1100, Alan S
> wrote:

>x-post cut
>
>On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:27:07 -0500, Ferd Berfle
> wrote:

Thank you, this sounds good for many applications. You demonstrate
cooking skills. Any suggestions to make impromptu ketchup? Going by
the lable: maybe a tablespoon each of sauce and paste(natural no added
sweeteners), some artificial sweetener, a few drops of vinegar, and a
dash of garlic powder/garlic salt.

Ever tried this?

Fred
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Ferd Berfle

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:35:28 -0500, Blash > wrote:

>Ferd Berfle writes:
>
>> I'm a ketchup lover, and really miss piling it on ground beef dishes
>> such as meatloaf and hamburgers. With soooo much sugar and how much I
>> like to pile on, it's been forbidden since Dx.

>Heinz ketchup has only 4g sugar in a tsp......have you tried just using a
>little less???...

I can't pronounce "tsp" without a lisp. Something that small is for
thissies!

Thank you for trying.

Fred

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl

Ferd Berfle wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:35:28 -0500, Blash

> wrote:
>
>>Ferd Berfle writes:
>>
>>> I'm a ketchup lover, and really miss piling it on ground

beef dishes
>>> such as meatloaf and hamburgers. With soooo much sugar

and how
>>> much I like to pile on, it's been forbidden since Dx.

>>Heinz ketchup has only 4g sugar in a tsp......have you

tried just
>>using a little less???...

> I can't pronounce "tsp" without a lisp. Something that

small is for
> thissies!

I have seen low calorie tomato sauces, low cal can mean low
carb too. I am looking at my current tomato sauce right now.
It is a supermarket own brand - has added sugar. Total carb
for 15 ml (around 3 teaspoons) is 3.6 gr of which sugar carb
is 3.4 gr. Double that would make an adequate splurt over
steak etc and still only totalling 7.2 gr carb. If you are
not whacking into spuds, rice or pasta etc in the same meal
then 7.6 gr would be a drop in the bucket.

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes Ferd Berfle > wrote:

: I'm a ketchup lover, and really miss piling it on ground beef dishes
: such as meatloaf and hamburgers. With soooo much sugar and how much I
: like to pile on, it's been forbidden since Dx.

: A couple weeks ago, I used simple Hunt's tomato sauce with some
: Splenda and a dash of garlic sauce. Of course it was not as good as
: real ketchup, but it had possibilities. Has anybody experimented with
: home made ketchup, replacing the sugars and syrups with no-cal
: sweeteners?

: Fred

I have made home made chili auce and canned it. Recipe in the Ball Blue
Book of canning.

There iare som low carb ketchups on the market now that are nt bad. Check
ut a large supermarket and if you don't find it, ask the manager. Heinz
makes some.

Wendy
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Dan Abel

In article >,
Blash > wrote:

> Ferd Berfle writes:
>
> > I'm a ketchup lover, and really miss piling it on ground beef dishes
> > such as meatloaf and hamburgers. With soooo much sugar and how much I
> > like to pile on, it's been forbidden since Dx.

> Heinz ketchup has only 4g sugar in a tsp......have you tried just using a
> little less???...

Things vary by country, but the Heinz on my kitchen table right now says
4g sugar (and no other carb) for a tablespoon, not a teaspoon.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Jennifer

Heinz makes a 1 carb ketchup.

And here's a recipe I found for you:

BETTER "HEINZ" KETCHUP
6 ounce can tomato paste
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
5 teaspoons Splenda or about equivalent liquid Splenda
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix all ingredients well. Be sure to add the spices. They are important
for that "Heinz" flavor.

Makes 1 1/3 cups

Made with granular Splenda:
1 tablespoon: 7 Calories; trace Fat; trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate;
trace Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
1/4 cup: 30 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary
Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
1 cup: 111 Calories; trace Fat; 6g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary
Fiber; 24g Net Carbs

Ferd Berfle wrote:
> I'm a ketchup lover, and really miss piling it on ground beef dishes
> such as meatloaf and hamburgers. With soooo much sugar and how much I
> like to pile on, it's been forbidden since Dx.
>
> A couple weeks ago, I used simple Hunt's tomato sauce with some
> Splenda and a dash of garlic sauce. Of course it was not as good as
> real ketchup, but it had possibilities. Has anybody experimented with
> home made ketchup, replacing the sugars and syrups with no-cal
> sweeteners?
>
> Fred

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Jennifer wrote:
> Heinz makes a 1 carb ketchup.
>
> And here's a recipe I found for you:
>
> BETTER "HEINZ" KETCHUP
> 6 ounce can tomato paste
> 1/2 cup water
> 1/4 cup vinegar
> 5 teaspoons Splenda or about equivalent liquid Splenda
> 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/8 teaspoon allspice
> 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
> 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
>
> Mix all ingredients well. Be sure to add the spices. They are important
> for that "Heinz" flavor.
>
> Makes 1 1/3 cups
>
> Made with granular Splenda:
> 1 tablespoon: 7 Calories; trace Fat; trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate;
> trace Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
> 1/4 cup: 30 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary
> Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
> 1 cup: 111 Calories; trace Fat; 6g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary
> Fiber; 24g Net Carbs
>

> Ferd Berfle wrote:
> > I'm a ketchup lover, and really miss piling it on ground beef dishes
> > such as meatloaf and hamburgers. With soooo much sugar and how much I
> > like to pile on, it's been forbidden since Dx.
> >
> > A couple weeks ago, I used simple Hunt's tomato sauce with some
> > Splenda and a dash of garlic sauce. Of course it was not as good as
> > real ketchup, but it had possibilities. Has anybody experimented with
> > home made ketchup, replacing the sugars and syrups with no-cal
> > sweeteners?
> >
> > Fred

Hey, this looks great. I'm one of those folks that likes a little
meatloaf with her catsup so my eye went right to the 1/4 cup data--6
net carbs I can handle. Thanks for posting this Jennifer!

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Michelle

I use Heinz One Carb. It's made with Splenda.

Michelle

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Ferd Berfle" > wrote in message

> I'm a ketchup lover, and really miss piling it on ground beef dishes
> such as meatloaf and hamburgers. With soooo much sugar and how much I
> like to pile on, it's been forbidden since Dx.
>
> A couple weeks ago, I used simple Hunt's tomato sauce with some
> Splenda and a dash of garlic sauce. Of course it was not as good as
> real ketchup, but it had possibilities. Has anybody experimented with
> home made ketchup, replacing the sugars and syrups with no-cal
> sweeteners?

I have never tried to make it since I would not use enough of it to warrant
making it. However, they do make a One Carb ketchup that takes just like
the real stuff. I just buy that. It's made by Heinz. There are other low
carb ketchups on the market, but I find them either lacking or just plain
awful! Most taste like straight tomato paste.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Ferd Berfle

This looks great!

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 03:26:46 GMT, Jennifer
> wrote:

>Heinz makes a 1 carb ketchup.
>
>And here's a recipe I found for you:
>
>BETTER "HEINZ" KETCHUP
>6 ounce can tomato paste
>1/2 cup water
>1/4 cup vinegar
>5 teaspoons Splenda or about equivalent liquid Splenda
>1/4 teaspoon onion powder
>1 teaspoon salt
>1/8 teaspoon allspice
>1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
>1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
>1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
>
>Mix all ingredients well. Be sure to add the spices. They are important
>for that "Heinz" flavor.
>
>Makes 1 1/3 cups
>
>Made with granular Splenda:
>1 tablespoon: 7 Calories; trace Fat; trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate;
>trace Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
>1/4 cup: 30 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary
>Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
>1 cup: 111 Calories; trace Fat; 6g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary
>Fiber; 24g Net Carbs
>

>Ferd Berfle wrote:
>> I'm a ketchup lover, and really miss piling it on ground beef dishes
>> such as meatloaf and hamburgers. With soooo much sugar and how much I
>> like to pile on, it's been forbidden since Dx.
>>
>> A couple weeks ago, I used simple Hunt's tomato sauce with some
>> Splenda and a dash of garlic sauce. Of course it was not as good as
>> real ketchup, but it had possibilities. Has anybody experimented with
>> home made ketchup, replacing the sugars and syrups with no-cal
>> sweeteners?
>>
>> Fred

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Ferd Berfle

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 04:49:14 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Ferd Berfle" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I'm a ketchup lover, and really miss piling it on ground beef dishes
>> such as meatloaf and hamburgers. With soooo much sugar and how much I
>> like to pile on, it's been forbidden since Dx.
>>
>> A couple weeks ago, I used simple Hunt's tomato sauce with some
>> Splenda and a dash of garlic sauce. Of course it was not as good as
>> real ketchup, but it had possibilities. Has anybody experimented with
>> home made ketchup, replacing the sugars and syrups with no-cal
>> sweeteners?

>I have never tried to make it since I would not use enough of it to warrant
>making it. However, they do make a One Carb ketchup that takes just like
>the real stuff. I just buy that. It's made by Heinz. There are other low
>carb ketchups on the market, but I find them either lacking or just plain
>awful! Most taste like straight tomato paste.

I've tried low carb ketchups, and they WERE horrible. I've never tried
Heinz, I will look for it.

Also, two weeks ago I discovered Walden Farms pancake syrup. -0- cals!
It's good, but of course not as good as regular Log Cabin, Aunt
Jemima, so on. It let's me float my slice of French toast(whole
wheat) in syrup and eat it with a spoon.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:01:41 -0500, Ferd Berfle
> wrote:

>Thank you, this sounds good for many applications. You demonstrate
>cooking skills. Any suggestions to make impromptu ketchup? Going by
>the lable: maybe a tablespoon each of sauce and paste(natural no added
>sweeteners), some artificial sweetener, a few drops of vinegar, and a
>dash of garlic powder/garlic salt.
>
>Ever tried this?
>
>Fred

Hi Fred

No - I either use my own at home, or a tiny amount (or none)
when I'm out. I found that most foods are quite OK without
it; I may have problems on my trip to New Zealand next month
- from what I'm told eating a dish without tomato sauce may
be seen as subversive.

For steak and some other meats I use the pan juices and red
wine. I trim the fat well and drain any oil excess after
cooking, then I put the steak aside for a minute or two to
rest while I de-glaze the skillet with a good slurp of red
wine. I let it sizzle and mix with the brownings and juice
and reduce until it's the right viscosity, then pour it over
the steak as a sauce. Sometimes I'll cook some sliced
mushrooms or onions in the pan as I cook the steak, then
move them to a cooler part until the steak is finished and
add them back in to the sauce process.

This may work for your hamburger; not sure about meatloaf.

Experiment.

I also use hot English mustard as a side garnish for pork or
corned beef. It adds flavour and heat - and it's very hard
to use too much:-) A little goes a very long way.

I used to love a number of different sauces and condiments.
It's amazing what you can learn to like without sauce once
you realise that your life may depend on it.

What really surprised me was how good some things tasted
when their flavours weren't drowned in ketchup, or
mayonnaise, or worcestershire sauce or whatever.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Alan S

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 06:21:20 -0500, Ferd Berfle
> wrote:

>Also, two weeks ago I discovered Walden Farms pancake syrup. -0- cals!
>It's good, but of course not as good as regular Log Cabin, Aunt
>Jemima, so on. It let's me float my slice of French toast(whole
>wheat) in syrup and eat it with a spoon.

As a matter of interest, what were your BGs an hour later?
I'm thinking of the toast, not the syrup:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Nico Kadel-Garcia

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 06:21:20 -0500, Ferd Berfle
> > wrote:
>
>>Also, two weeks ago I discovered Walden Farms pancake syrup. -0- cals!
>>It's good, but of course not as good as regular Log Cabin, Aunt
>>Jemima, so on. It let's me float my slice of French toast(whole
>>wheat) in syrup and eat it with a spoon.
>>

> As a matter of interest, what were your BGs an hour later?
> I'm thinking of the toast, not the syrup:-)

Hmm. I'm a big believer in tiny bits of the *real* stuff, rather than
gallons of the fake stuff. I'm trying to teach my 4-year-old Type 1 the same
way: her mommy and I are having arguments about breakfast cereal. (Being
"honey-nut Cheerios" does not make up for the "honey-nut" part......)

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Thanks for posting that.
I'm a confirmed ketchup addict.
I'm adding it to my recipe file.

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Shawn Hirn

In article >,
Ferd Berfle > wrote:

> I'm a ketchup lover, and really miss piling it on ground beef dishes
> such as meatloaf and hamburgers. With soooo much sugar and how much I
> like to pile on, it's been forbidden since Dx.
>
> A couple weeks ago, I used simple Hunt's tomato sauce with some
> Splenda and a dash of garlic sauce. Of course it was not as good as
> real ketchup, but it had possibilities. Has anybody experimented with
> home made ketchup, replacing the sugars and syrups with no-cal
> sweeteners?

Why not try Heinz's One Carb ketchup? I am a Heinz ketchup lover from
way back and I find that ketchup very good, but it is a bit expensive.
Failing that, just take whatever ketchup recipe that interests you and
substitute any sugar with Splenda and it should be fine.
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Cuz

Ferd Berfle > wrote:
|| I'm a ketchup lover, and really miss piling it on ground beef
|| dishes such as meatloaf and hamburgers. With soooo much
|| sugar and how much I like to pile on, it's been forbidden
|| since Dx.
|| A couple weeks ago, I used simple Hunt's tomato sauce with
|| some Splenda and a dash of garlic sauce. Of course it was not
|| as good as real ketchup, but it had possibilities. Has
|| anybody experimented with home made ketchup, replacing the
|| sugars and syrups with no-cal sweeteners?
|| Fred

Good Ketchup is an oxymoron...

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes Ferd Berfle > wrote:
: On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 04:49:14 GMT, "Julie Bove"
: > wrote:

: >
: >
: >
: >"Ferd Berfle" > wrote in message
: .. .
: >>
[...]

I find the low carb breads are great for french toast adn I can have a
full 2 sice ortion! A Sunday morning treat.

Wendy

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Ferd Berfle

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:10:12 +1100, Alan S
> wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 06:21:20 -0500, Ferd Berfle
> wrote:
>
>>Also, two weeks ago I discovered Walden Farms pancake syrup. -0- cals!
>>It's good, but of course not as good as regular Log Cabin, Aunt
>>Jemima, so on. It let's me float my slice of French toast(whole
>>wheat) in syrup and eat it with a spoon.
>>

>As a matter of interest, what were your BGs an hour later?
>I'm thinking of the toast, not the syrup:-)
>
>Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Schedule:
5:00 AM BG 95, Amaryl 1/2 MG with 500 mg glucophage,
6:00 AM slice french toast made with 100% ww bread
7:15-7:45 AM, BG 130

If I take the meds same time as when I eat, BG goes to about 160

Fred
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Ferd Berfle

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 04:49:14 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Ferd Berfle" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I'm a ketchup lover, and really miss piling it on ground beef dishes
>> such as meatloaf and hamburgers. With soooo much sugar and how much I
>> like to pile on, it's been forbidden since Dx.
>>
>> A couple weeks ago, I used simple Hunt's tomato sauce with some
>> Splenda and a dash of garlic sauce. Of course it was not as good as
>> real ketchup, but it had possibilities. Has anybody experimented with
>> home made ketchup, replacing the sugars and syrups with no-cal
>> sweeteners?

>I have never tried to make it since I would not use enough of it to warrant
>making it. However, they do make a One Carb ketchup that takes just like
>the real stuff. I just buy that. It's made by Heinz. There are other low
>carb ketchups on the market, but I find them either lacking or just plain
>awful! Most taste like straight tomato paste.

To all of you that suggested Heinz One Car with the green top, TYVM!!
I just tried some, it's great!

Fred
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Alan S

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:27:43 -0500, "Nico Kadel-Garcia"
> wrote:

>"Alan S" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 06:21:20 -0500, Ferd Berfle
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Also, two weeks ago I discovered Walden Farms pancake syrup. -0- cals!
>>>It's good, but of course not as good as regular Log Cabin, Aunt
>>>Jemima, so on. It let's me float my slice of French toast(whole
>>>wheat) in syrup and eat it with a spoon.
>>>

>> As a matter of interest, what were your BGs an hour later?
>> I'm thinking of the toast, not the syrup:-)

>Hmm. I'm a big believer in tiny bits of the *real* stuff, rather than
>gallons of the fake stuff. I'm trying to teach my 4-year-old Type 1 the same
>way: her mommy and I are having arguments about breakfast cereal. (Being
>"honey-nut Cheerios" does not make up for the "honey-nut" part......)

Yep, I have to agree in principle - except for sugar. I
rarely, if ever buy "low-carb", but I do use Splenda etc
sparingly and drink diet soft-drinks.

I use sugar very sparingly in my own cooking and can
understand why others may be looking for low-sugar recipes.
Unfortunately, that focus can sometimes miss the carbs that
still remain in the basic food, especially when you add a
low-carb sauce to a high-carb food.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Alan S

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:29:35 -0500, Ferd Berfle
> wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:10:12 +1100, Alan S
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 06:21:20 -0500, Ferd Berfle
> wrote:
>>
>>>Also, two weeks ago I discovered Walden Farms pancake syrup. -0- cals!
>>>It's good, but of course not as good as regular Log Cabin, Aunt
>>>Jemima, so on. It let's me float my slice of French toast(whole
>>>wheat) in syrup and eat it with a spoon.
>>>

>>As a matter of interest, what were your BGs an hour later?
>>I'm thinking of the toast, not the syrup:-)
>>
>>Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

>Schedule:
>5:00 AM BG 95, Amaryl 1/2 MG with 500 mg glucophage,
>6:00 AM slice french toast made with 100% ww bread
>7:15-7:45 AM, BG 130
>
>If I take the meds same time as when I eat, BG goes to about 160
>
>Fred

Thanks for responding Fred. Numbers aren't bad - but, as the
Devil's advocate, my first thought is to wonder whether
you'd need the Amaryl at all if you had an omelette - or
whether you'd have a 35 point rise if you had the meds and
an omelette:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

>>>As a matter of interest, what were your BGs an hour later?
>>>I'm thinking of the toast, not the syrup:-)
>>>
>>>Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

>>Schedule:
>>5:00 AM BG 95, Amaryl 1/2 MG with 500 mg glucophage,
>>6:00 AM slice french toast made with 100% ww bread
>>7:15-7:45 AM, BG 130
>>
>>If I take the meds same time as when I eat, BG goes to about 160
>>
>>Fred

>Thanks for responding Fred. Numbers aren't bad - but, as the
>Devil's advocate, my first thought is to wonder whether
>you'd need the Amaryl at all if you had an omelette - or
>whether you'd have a 35 point rise if you had the meds and
>an omelette:-)
>
>Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

If I don't eat carbs, I can skip the Amaryl.
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 09:41:44 -0500, Ferd Berfle

>>>Schedule:
>>>5:00 AM BG 95, Amaryl 1/2 MG with 500 mg glucophage,
>>>6:00 AM slice french toast made with 100% ww bread
>>>7:15-7:45 AM, BG 130
>>>
>>>If I take the meds same time as when I eat, BG goes to about 160
>>>
>>>Fred

>>Thanks for responding Fred. Numbers aren't bad - but, as the
>>Devil's advocate, my first thought is to wonder whether
>>you'd need the Amaryl at all if you had an omelette - or
>>whether you'd have a 35 point rise if you had the meds and
>>an omelette:-)
>>
>>Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

>If I don't eat carbs, I can skip the Amaryl.

Hi Fred (or is it Ferd?)

As individuals, we make our own choices. I choose to
minimise my medications by careful diet management. You
choose freedom in your diet by adding medications.

We probably won't know whether either of us, or both, were
right or wrong for many years. In fact, I hope that it is
many, many complication-free years - for both of us:-)

Have your read this link?
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

I know it's a few days later, but here goes....

I was a Chef/Catering Manager for an International Outfit and frequently
when logistics were not very good, had to use brainpower to make
substitutes.

Here is a recipe I formulated after a few trials when we were in Nigeria.
This makes a Litre or almost 2 pints. Thin it down with a mix of Vinegar &
Water if you prefer a much thinner pouring Ketchup, making the sugar
substitute to taste.
I still make this in preference to bought stuff.
It stores FOREVER in Sealed bottles. I moderated the recipe after I was Dx'd
as T2. Do NOT add extra Salt until Directed!

600 Grams Double-Concentrated Organic Tomato Puree (Tomato Paste and I
prefer Napolina Brand)
1 Pint (or 568 Ml Bottle) Distilled MALT Vinegar, with the juices of a HEFTY
bunch of both Basil and Parsley. (Done in a whizzer)
(You COULD use a Non-Brewed Condiment, such as a solution of Acetic Acid,
but the flavour would not be the same, A sister now uses this recipe, but
uses Organic Cider Vinegar)
1/4 teaspoon Granulated Anhydrous Citric Acid.
1 Standard can of Plum Tomatoes, blitzed and strained through a fine mesh
jelly bag. (Takes a whole night or longer) Solids tossed out, liquid into
the recipe.
Juice from a Grated Bombay Onion - strained.
Juice from a BIG thumb of root Ginger - strained
1/4 Teaspoon each of "MILLSTONE" Brand (or other reliable source) Onion
Salt, Garlic Salt & Celery Salt. Hefty VERY generous grind of Black
Peppercorns. 20 Crushed Dried Juniper berries.

Bring all to a very slow simmer in a thick bottomed saucepan, and once a
simmer has been established for several minutes, (Continual stirring) start
to add a granulated sweetener such as Splenda, which should be added quite
freely at the start - it will take a fair amount to counterbalance the
acidic flavours and elements.
An example would be my own formulation of 25 teaspoons granulated Splenda
for this recipe amounts.
Unfortunately, you HAVE to add a small amount of REAL Sugar - just simple
Granulated Sugar - which is required to improve the texture of the finished
product - I have on occasion used rather than sugar, Tasmanian Leatherwood
Honey, just because it was in the store cupboard.
A Tablespoon or a Desertspoon is quite sufficient. (I NEVER used Honey in
Nigeria!)
Requires to be "Passed" through a fine seive or similar to remove unwanted
solids. NOW add any required EXTRA Common Salt or Sea-Salt to taste.

Once the Ketchup has cooked for at least 10 minutes, it's ready for
bottling. Bottle it while still very hot

Pour into clean HOT sterilised jars or bottles, and once cool, (Cold) wipe
the edges of the jars or bottles with raw vinegar to sterilise them.
Cap and store.

Keeps for MONTHS without refrigeration. I have not done any Dietary Analysis
on this, anyone - feel free. I consider it so low in carbs as to be not
worth the trouble.

For a Deli-Type Tomato Catsup, add Crushed Celery, Crushed Sweet Green Bell
Peppers and a Load of Basil and Dill in the cooking stage. Let that sit for
an hour before filtration and bottling.
For a "Hotter" sauce with "Bite" - simply add a few Fat Green Chillies at
the cooking stage.

HAPPY POURINGS!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

See Hear wrote:
> [...]
> solids. NOW add any required EXTRA Common Salt or Sea-Salt to taste.
>
> Once the Ketchup has cooked for at least 10 minutes, it's ready for
> bottling. Bottle it while still very hot
>
> Pour into clean HOT sterilised jars or bottles, and once cool, (Cold) wipe
> the edges of the jars or bottles with raw vinegar to sterilise them.
> Cap and store.
>
> Keeps for MONTHS without refrigeration. I have not done any Dietary Analysis
> on this, anyone - feel free. I consider it so low in carbs as to be not
> worth the trouble.
>
> For a Deli-Type Tomato Catsup, add Crushed Celery, Crushed Sweet Green Bell
> Peppers and a Load of Basil and Dill in the cooking stage. Let that sit for
> an hour before filtration and bottling.
> For a "Hotter" sauce with "Bite" - simply add a few Fat Green Chillies at

not xposted

AT THE VERT LEAST your product should be stored refrigerated at all
times. Barring that, sterilized jars sealed with sterile, new 2 piece
lids should be used and product should be submerged in a boiling water
bath for a minimum of ten minutes after the jars are filled with boiling
product.

Your recipe sounds good, but your canning practices are potentially
deadly. Botulism can kill you without changing the taste or smell of the
food.

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ok even later now. I've been on holiday.

Vicki, perhaps you have not seen the recipe properly?
There is more than enough acidity in the recipe to not only retard bacterial
growth,
but kill it completely and before it gets started.
The recipe was passed as safe by a chemist supervisor in the cracker labs.
I should also have mentioned that the BOILING sauce is poured into jars that
are over 120 degrees C - taken straight from the oven, but I thought it
would be an obvious standard bottling procedure.
The jars are sealed while very, very hot, ergo anaerobic conditions.
There is NO NEED - REPEAT - NO NEED For refrigeration because of the
intensity of the acidity.
I think you are taking a step too far and comparing high-acid foods with
those simply stored dangerously in minimum acidity and oil.
But thanks for the comment. At least I know someone read it.

"Vicki Beausoleil" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]
>> be not worth the trouble.
>>
>> For a Deli-Type Tomato Catsup, add Crushed Celery, Crushed Sweet Green
>> Bell Peppers and a Load of Basil and Dill in the cooking stage. Let that
>> sit for an hour before filtration and bottling.
>> For a "Hotter" sauce with "Bite" - simply add a few Fat Green Chillies at
>> the cooking stage.
>>
>> HAPPY POURINGS!
>>

> not xposted
>

> AT THE VERT LEAST your product should be stored refrigerated at all times.
> Barring that, sterilized jars sealed with sterile, new 2 piece lids should
> be used and product should be submerged in a boiling water bath for a
> minimum of ten minutes after the jars are filled with boiling product.
>
> Your recipe sounds good, but your canning practices are potentially
> deadly. Botulism can kill you without changing the taste or smell of the

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"See Hear" > wrote in message
> But thanks for the comment. At least I know someone read it.

Hey, I read it - I'm even planning on making some, when I've worked my way
through the commercial stuff in my cupboard! It looks good.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Experienced Member

I read it too When it comes to ketchup, though, I'm a major stick in the mud. I've always bowed down to the Heinz altar (now 1 carb altar) and, as far as I can tell, will continue to do so until I shed this mortal coil. Hmmm... is there ketchup in heaven? Anyway, don't get me wrong, I'm a vastly innovative chef, constantly trying new ingredients/methods. You name it, I'll figure a way of jazzing it up. But jazzing up ketchup with basil juice?! Not going to happen. I'm sure it's delicious, but it far exceeds the boundaries of my ketchup definition. That's just me- adventurous with just about everything but ketchup.

See Hear, sugar (or honey) isn't that essential for the texture of ketchup. Heinz's 1 carb is sugar free and is phenomenal.

Last edited by scott123 : 13-02-2006 at 11:14 AM

What exactly is 'home made'? A Moose in Love General Cooking 51 03-03-2014 12:23 AM
NEED A GOOD COOK BOOK TO MAKE A GOOD GRAVY LIKE MOM MADE! [email protected] General Cooking 16 18-03-2011 08:12 PM
What is a good recipe for home made carbonated cola (with a similar kick as coca cola or pepsi)? Elmo[_2_] General Cooking 26 27-04-2010 01:36 AM
Home Made Pop? Gregor Winemaking 11 06-02-2005 04:47 AM
I need some good cookie recipies rhinoman98 Baking 7 28-07-2004 09:15 PM