Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Andrea2

Default Falafel

Falafel

1 cup dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight and well drained
1 cup dried shelled fava beans, soaked overnight and well drained
1/2 cup garbanzo flour, can substitute whole wheat flour
1/4 cup fine bulgur wheat
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1/2 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Oil for deep frying

Run the drained garbanzo beans and fava beans through the fine blade
on your meat grinder or in your food processor. Add more water if
necessary; mixture should be thick but not dry. Blend in all the
remaining ingredients and let the mixture stand at least an hour or
store in refrigerator for several days.

Form into little patties 1/3 inch thick and 1 1/2 inches round. Or,
you can
form them into balls. Deep-fry in oil until brown and crunchy on the
outside, about 4 minutes.

I make medium size patties and pan fry it in oil and eat with Greek
style salad. Could be used in sandwiches or Gyros.

Andrea2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Anon

I've had it in restaurants as gyros. It is very tasty. Can it be bought
already mixed so I could cook it at home? Too many ingredients for me to
make.

Anon

"Andrea2" > wrote in message
news Falafel

[...]

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Vicki Beausoleil

Anon wrote:
> I've had it in restaurants as gyros. It is very tasty. Can it be bought
> already mixed so I could cook it at home? Too many ingredients for me to
> make.
>
> Anon
>
> "Andrea2" > wrote in message
> news > Falafel

snip

> Andrea2

If you can find it, it comes dried. Just add water, let sit a bit, then
fry. It's in the section of the grocery store with the couscous, bean
dip and stuff like that.

I've had the brand available around here, and it's very good. There's
several types of add-water dips available.

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl

Anon wrote:
> I've had it in restaurants as gyros. It is very tasty. Can

it be
> bought already mixed so I could cook it at home? Too many

ingredients
> for me to make.

I have seen Falafel mixes here in Oz where you just add
water to the dry mix, not sure what part of a supermarket
you would look for it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Anon" > wrote:

>I've had it in restaurants as gyros. It is very tasty. Can it be bought
>already mixed so I could cook it at home? Too many ingredients for me to
>make.
>
>Anon

We really enjoy falafel, particularly the ones that used to be made in
a local shop called The Sultan Market. Don't know why they stopped
making them but, they still make a fantastic shwarma.
So, we bought some falafel mix (just add water) at a large bulk food
chain in Canada called The Bulk Barn, to try making our own.
It was gross. Inedible.
Definitely going to try Andrea 2's recipe, probably this week-end.

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

REC: Falafel Mike Muth General Cooking 0 18-02-2012 08:56 PM
Falafel notbob[_5_] General Cooking 40 02-03-2011 08:36 AM