Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Default Rec: Beef & Scallion Sushi

If you think Sushi is just raw fish and rice you need to try this version.
No raw fish, no rice, low carbs, and delicious.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Beef and Scallion Rolls (Nege Maki)

These beautiful rolls aren't raw - they're seared to create a flavorful
brown crust and a medium-rare center.

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 8
Cuisine: Japanese
Main Ingredient: Beef
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Atkins-Friendly, Low Carb, Sauté, Fry,
Sushi, Simple - Easy, Snacks, Hors dOeuvres, Brunch, Appetizers

-= Ingredients =-
12 small scallions ; trimmed to 6-inch lengths
1 pound flank steak ; (roughly 6 to 7 inches square)
1/4 cup sake ; (Japanese rice wine)
1/4 cup mirin ; (Japanese sweet rice wine)
3 tablespoons soy sauce ; - low sodium
1 tablespoon Sugar ; - or Splenda
1 tablespoon Olive oil

-= Instructions =-
Prepare scallions:
Blanch scallions in a pot of boiling salted water 45 seconds, then transfer
with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking.
Transfer scallions to paper towels to drain and pat dry.

Prepare beef:
Cut flank steak with the grain holding a large knife at a 30-degree angle to
cutting board into 12 (1/8-inch-thick) slices (1 1/2 to 2 inches wide).
Arrange slices 1 inch apart on a very lightly oiled sheet of parchment paper
or plastic wrap, then cover with another very lightly oiled sheet of
parchment or plastic wrap (oiled side down) and pound slices with flat side
of meat pounder until about 1/16 inch thick.

Assemble rolls:
Arrange 3 beef slices side by side on a fresh sheet of plastic wrap,
overlapping slices slightly to form a 6-inch square with short ends of
slices nearest you. Sprinkle square lightly with a pinch of salt, then lay 3
scallions (with some white parts at both ends) across slices at end closest
to you and tightly roll up meat around scallions to form a log, using
plastic wrap as an aid. Tie log with kitchen string at ends and where meat
slices overlap. Make 3 more nege maki rolls in same manner.

Marinate rolls:
Stir together sake, mirin, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl until sugar
is dissolved.

Put rolls in a small baking dish and pour marinade over them, turning to
coat. Marinate, loosely covered with plastic wrap, turning occasionally, 15
minutes.

Cook rolls:
Heat a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot, 1 to 2
minutes. While skillet is heating, lift rolls out of marinade, letting
excess drip off, and pat dry. (Save marinade.) Add oil to skillet, swirling
to coat bottom, then cook rolls, turning with tongs, until well browned on
all sides, 4 to 5 minutes total for medium-rare. Transfer rolls to cutting
board. Add marinade to skillet and boil until slightly syrupy, 1 to 2
minutes, then remove from heat.

Cut off and discard strings, then cut each roll crosswise into 6 slices.
Pour sauce into a shallow serving dish and arrange nege maki in sauce.

Cook's note:
nege maki can be rolled and tied (but not marinated or cooked) 4 hours ahead
and chilled, wrapped in plastic wrap.

Makes 4 main-course or 6 hors d'oeuvre servings. Cut in app. 1 1/2 inch
lengths

Each (2oz) piece contains an estimated:
Cals: 175, FatCals: 82, TotFat: 9g
SatFat: 3g, PolyFat: 0g, MonoFat: 4g
Chol: 40mg, Na: 250, K: 258
TotCarbs: 3g, Fiber: 0.5g, Sugars: 1g
NetCarbs: 2.5g, Protein: 17g

** Recipe and photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe160440 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
ankalime

Pete Romfh wrote:
> If you think Sushi is just raw fish and rice you need to try this version.
> No raw fish, no rice, low carbs, and delicious.

These *are* delicious. My mother (who is Japanese) made them for me at
Christmas as a low-carb treat. I didn't think to ask for the recipe.
Now I have a recipe and can make them for myself! Thanks Pete!

Technically it isn't sushi. Sushi, by definition, is rice with vinegar
and other ingredients. But since it is a roll (maki) as are some of the
familiar forms of sushi (temaki, futomaki, etc), I can see why someone
might refer to it that way. But a rose by any other name, etc. etc.
etc. :-)

Cindy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

ankalime wrote:
> Pete Romfh wrote:
>> If you think Sushi is just raw fish and rice you need to
>> try this version. No raw fish, no rice, low carbs, and
>> delicious.

> These *are* delicious. My mother (who is Japanese) made
> them for me at Christmas as a low-carb treat. I didn't
> think to ask for the recipe. Now I have a recipe and can
> make them for myself! Thanks Pete!
>
> Technically it isn't sushi. Sushi, by definition, is rice
> with vinegar and other ingredients. But since it is a
> roll (maki) as are some of the familiar forms of sushi
> (temaki, futomaki, etc), I can see why someone might
> refer to it that way. But a rose by any other name, etc.
> etc. etc. :-)
>
> Cindy

You are definitely correct. Maki are often found in a similar setting as
sushi (except real sushi bars).
For a beef roll that actually meets the definition of sushi take a look at
my Texas-Style Beef Sushi.
http://www.bigoven.com/recipe159275

Asking for this would get me thrown out of any respectable sushi bar (if the
Itamae didn't kill me first).
But it's great for parties and office gatherings.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
ankalime

> For a beef roll that actually meets the definition of sushi take a look at
> my Texas-Style Beef Sushi.
> http://www.bigoven.com/recipe159275
>
> Asking for this would get me thrown out of any respectable sushi bar (if the
> Itamae didn't kill me first).
> But it's great for parties and office gatherings.

Oh my goodness... that looks great!! I'm going to try that for my next
dinner party!

Thanks again Pete!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Jennifer

The Japanese name for this is Gyuniku Negimaki or Negimayaki.

I often had it in Yakitori restaurants in Japan.

It is low carb, and yum.

You can also make it with chicken.