FoodBanter.com

-   -   REC: Curry Spiced Cauliflower (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/79201-rec-curry-spiced-cauliflower.html)

Pete Romfh 17-01-2006 01:51 PM

REC: Curry Spiced Cauliflower

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Curry Spiced Cauliflower (Sukhi Gobi)

Cauliflower in the Indian (Hindu) traditional manner

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 6
Cuisine: Indian
Main Ingredient: Cauliflower
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Atkins-Friendly, Vegetarian, Vegan, Low
Carb, Meatless, Low Fat, Saute, Simple - Easy, Side Dish

-= Ingredients =-
1 pound cauliflower
1 clove garlic
5 large green onions
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Curry powder ; - to taste
1 teaspoon ground almonds

-= Instructions =-
Cut cauliflower into florets. Steam or boil about 4 minutes or until
tender-crisp, then drain (do not overcook).

Finely chop garlic and cut green onions into 1/4-inch pieces. Heat oil in
wok (karahi) or skillet over heat. Add mustard seeds. When they start
popping (spluttering), add garlic, salt and curry. Mix and cover. Cook for 2
minutes.

Add green onions and ground almonds. Add cauliflower and cook for 3 minutes,
stirring constantly, until cauliflower is heated through.

Remove from heat and serve as a side dish.
Serves 6. Each (90g - 3/4 cup) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 52, FatCals: 26, TotFat: 3g
SatFat: 0g, PolyFat: 2g, MonoFat: 1g
Chol: 68mg, Na: 418mg, K: 280mg
TotalCarbs: 4g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 2g
NetCarbs: 2g, Protein: 2g

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Pete Romfh 19-01-2006 05:18 AM

Curry con Chris

Chris J. wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 07:51:14 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
wrote:

I've been reading up on the many health benefits of
curry, in particular combined with cauliflower, as seen
in this link:

http://washingtontimes.com/national/...1518-4976r.htm

So, I thought I'd share what I came up with for my dinner
tonight.

Ingredients
1 pound frozen diced cauliflower & broccoli
1/4 pound frozen chopped spinach
1/4 pound cooked shredded pork, or chicken, or turkey, or
beef, or meat of your choice. (optional)
5 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
1 bundle (about 9) green onions (chopped)
1 cup canned chopped ortega chili peppers
1 can diced tomato
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
a 1 1/4 ounce package of curry powder, containing tumeric
and other spices. You might want to use less, but I like
my curry with a kick. 1 teaspoon sumak (optional)
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (you can use plain
yogurt as a substitute, or go half and half, which is
what I did.).

soy sauce to taste.

Preparation:
Put the frozen vegetables in a shallow dish or large
plate, and microwave on high until cooked. Drain if
needed.

Put the olive oil in the pan, and use it to saute the
garlic to a golden brown, adding the green onions once
the garlic is almost done. When the onions are done, add
the microwaved vegetables with the heat on high. When the
pan is very hot, add a few dashes of soy sauce to flavor
and brown them. I use low sodium, but use what suits you.
This will be the source of the vast majority of the salt
in the meal.

Once the veg are browned, add the canned chilis and
chopped tomatoes and cook until they are hot. Then add
your curry powder (some can be added later if needed, so
you might want to try half the first time). Then add the
mustard powder, sumak, and stir again. Then add the sour
cream and/or yogurt, and once hot add the cooked shredded
or cubed meat. This dish also is fine without the meat.

Simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the
final ingredient (black pepper) once on the plate.

This sounds delicious.