Old 11-01-2006, 01:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Wayne Boatwright

Default Prune Juice?

What is the impact of prune juice on a Type 2 diabetic diet?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
BJ in Texas

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
|| What is the impact of prune juice on a Type 2 diabetic diet?
|| TIA

Likely raise BGs because of sugars. It would also likely
have a laxitive effect.

BJ
--
"If you are planning for one year, grow rice; for 20 years grow
trees; for centuries, grow men" - Chinese Proverb

Old 11-01-2006, 04:40 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sherry

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
:

What is the impact of prune juice on a Type 2 diabetic diet?

TIA

The best way to find out is for you to test and see what it does to
*your* blood sugars!

Sherry
Old 11-01-2006, 04:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sherry

"L, not -L" wrote in
m:

snip
If your goal is to drink the juice for its reputed laxative
benefits, you might want to look into Metamucil sugar-free.

I got tired of that icky gunk from the fiber drinks. I started using
Citrucel caplets (actually switched to the generic when they became
available). No problem when I travel, convenient to use and doesn't
cause the cramping that psyllium fiber does. No sugar in them, at
least not in the generic brand I use.

Just make sure you take them with plenty of water - you *don't* want to
get one stuck in your throat and the water is needed for them to be
effective.

Sherry

Old 11-01-2006, 08:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 11 Jan 2006 05:59:54a, BJ in Texas wrote in alt.food.diabetic:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
|| What is the impact of prune juice on a Type 2 diabetic diet?
|| TIA

Likely raise BGs because of sugars. It would also likely
have a laxitive effect.

BJ

Yes, probably true.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Old 11-01-2006, 08:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 11 Jan 2006 08:10:54a, L, not -L wrote in alt.food.diabetic:

On 11-Jan-2006, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

What is the impact of prune juice on a Type 2 diabetic diet?

TIA

An 8 oz glass of Sunsweet prune juice has 43gr carbohydrate, only 3 of
which come from fiber. Net 40gr carbohydrate is probably not a good
thing for a diabetic, even if it is from fructose. Prunes are a low
glycemic food, but you have to work harder to get the fructose out of
the whole fruit than you do with juice; I think the juice would quickly
cause a spike in your numbers.

If your goal is to drink the juice because you like the taste, why not
try a small glass, say 3 oz - basically a single carb exchange - and
test a couple of times over a two hour period.

If your goal is to drink the juice for its reputed laxative benefits,
you might want to look into Metamucil sugar-free.

I really like it for taste, but I want to drink it primarily for the
laxative benefits. Fiber products like Metamucil just don't work the same
for me. They are bulk fillers and to not induce activity in the same way.

Careful testing, of course, is the best way to go.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Old 11-01-2006, 08:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 11 Jan 2006 08:43:35a, Sherry wrote in alt.food.diabetic:

"L, not -L" wrote in
m:

snip
If your goal is to drink the juice for its reputed laxative benefits,
you might want to look into Metamucil sugar-free.

I got tired of that icky gunk from the fiber drinks. I started using
Citrucel caplets (actually switched to the generic when they became
available). No problem when I travel, convenient to use and doesn't
cause the cramping that psyllium fiber does. No sugar in them, at
least not in the generic brand I use.

Just make sure you take them with plenty of water - you *don't* want to
get one stuck in your throat and the water is needed for them to be
effective.

I must need to research other fiber products. Metamucil and Citrucel (both
types that are mixed with liquid) simply do not work in the same way that
the prune juice does.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Old 11-01-2006, 08:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 11 Jan 2006 08:40:17a, Sherry wrote in alt.food.diabetic:

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
:

What is the impact of prune juice on a Type 2 diabetic diet?

TIA

The best way to find out is for you to test and see what it does to
*your* blood sugars!

Sherry

You're right, of course.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Old 11-01-2006, 09:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
TigerLily

Wayne......... an alternative is to take a prune,
boil it in some water to 're-plump it up' and eat
the prune with your breakfast

my mother does this every morning and she's been
fine ever since :-)

good luck
kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote
in message
On Wed 11 Jan 2006 08:40:17a, Sherry wrote in

alt.food.diabetic:

Wayne Boatwright

wrote in
:

What is the impact of prune juice on a Type 2

diabetic diet?

TIA

The best way to find out is for you to test

and see what it does to
*your* blood sugars!

Sherry

You're right, of course.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any

day.
Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Old 12-01-2006, 02:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 11 Jan 2006 01:35:14p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it TigerLily?

Wayne......... an alternative is to take a prune,
boil it in some water to 're-plump it up' and eat
the prune with your breakfast

my mother does this every morning and she's been
fine ever since :-)

good luck
kate

Thanks, Kate. I will definitely give that a try. I really like prunes. g

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Recipe with Prune Juice? chichi General Cooking 4 16-09-2012 08:36 PM
Deer Prune brooklyn1 General Cooking 0 26-08-2010 12:27 AM
anything other than prune juice for purgative? kalanamak General Cooking 110 04-01-2005 04:19 AM
anything other than prune juice... Carol In WI General Cooking 4 13-12-2004 11:10 AM
Prune Cake Snowfeet1 General Cooking 2 03-01-2004 08:34 PM