Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Default Texas Caviar

This is a recipe I'm doing today. Haven't done a picture just yet.
Blackeyes on New Year's day is said to bring good luck for the year.

It certainly won't hurt.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Texas Caviar

good holiday snack, very easy to make. Looks good on the table

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 24
Cuisine: TexMex
Main Ingredient: Beans
Categories: Diabetic, Vegetarian, Vegan, Kid Friendly, Superbowl, New Year,
No Cook, Advance, Simple - Easy, Snacks, Brunch, Appetizers

-= Ingredients =-
6 ounces Pinto beans ; (1/2 can)
12 ounces Blackeyed peas w/ jalapeno ; (1 can)
12 ounces White shoepeg corn ; (1 can)
4 ounces Pimento pepper ; (small jar)
1 cup Green pepper ; chopped
1 cup Celery ; chopped
1 small Onion ; finely chopped
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1 tbs Water
3/4 cup Cider vinegar
1/2 cup Vegetable oil
1 cup Splenda ; - or sugar if you wish

-= Instructions =-
Drain beans, peas, corn and pimento and mix together

In a saucepan, bring to boil salt, pepper, water, vinegar, oil and sugar.
Cool completely before pouring over bean mixture. Marinate at least 24
hours before serving. Drain and serve on a leaf of lettuce. Serve low carb
tortilla chips alongside. Store in saved marinade. Keeps in refrigerator for
2 months

Low Carb Tortilla Chips:
I take low-carb tortillas, cut them in wedges, spray them lightly with oil
and bake them until crisp. Sprinkle a bit of sea salt in them if you desire.

Each (3/4 cup) serving (excluding any chips) contains an estimated:
Cals: 107, FatCals: 44, Total Fat: 5g
SatFat: 1g, PolyFat: 3g, MonoFat: 1g
Chol: 0mg, Na: 174mg, K: 210mg
TotCarbs: 14g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars 3g
NetCarbs: 11g, Protein: 2g

** BigOven.com ID= 160205 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> This is a recipe I'm doing today. Haven't done a picture just yet.
> Blackeyes on New Year's day is said to bring good luck for the year.
>
> It certainly won't hurt.
>
> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> Texas Caviar
>
> good holiday snack, very easy to make. Looks good on the table
>
> Recipe By: Pete Romfh
> Serving Size: 24
> Cuisine: TexMex
> Main Ingredient: Beans
> Categories: Diabetic, Vegetarian, Vegan, Kid Friendly, Superbowl, New

Year,
> No Cook, Advance, Simple - Easy, Snacks, Brunch, Appetizers

<snip>

I've seen this recipe before. Or something similar. Have never tried it.
I like black eyed peas, but this recipe doesn't sound appealing to me. I
also fail to see how it would be kid friendly. I ate black eyed peas as a
child, but I've never met another kid who would. In fact, here in the
Pacific Northwest, I've never met a person who would eat them, outside my
own family. There's just something about the texture of them that people
don't like.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
> message ...
>> This is a recipe I'm doing today. Haven't done a picture
>> just yet. Blackeyes on New Year's day is said to bring
>> good luck for the year.
>>
>> It certainly won't hurt.
>>
>> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>>
>> Texas Caviar
>>
>> good holiday snack, very easy to make. Looks good on the
>> table
>>
>> Recipe By: Pete Romfh
>> Serving Size: 24
>> Cuisine: TexMex
>> Main Ingredient: Beans
>> Categories: Diabetic, Vegetarian, Vegan, Kid Friendly,
>> Superbowl, New

> Year,
>> No Cook, Advance, Simple - Easy, Snacks, Brunch,
>> Appetizers

> <snip>
>
> I've seen this recipe before. Or something similar.
> Have never tried it. I like black eyed peas, but this
> recipe doesn't sound appealing to me. I also fail to see
> how it would be kid friendly. I ate black eyed peas as a
> child, but I've never met another kid who would. In
> fact, here in the Pacific Northwest, I've never met a
> person who would eat them, outside my own family.
> There's just something about the texture of them that
> people don't like.
>
> --
> See my webpage:
> http://mysite.verizon.net/juliebove/index.htm

Maybe Texas Kids are different. Often they will eat things at a party that
they otherwise won't touch.
It may not be kid-friendly to all kids but a lot of them seem to like it
down here.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message

> Maybe Texas Kids are different. Often they will eat things at a party that
> they otherwise won't touch.
> It may not be kid-friendly to all kids but a lot of them seem to like it
> down here.

Well, that could be. I remember passing through Texas while on vacation
when I was a kid. I ordered chili in a restaurant because I loved chili.
But it was so hot it brought tears to my eyes and I couldn't eat it. I kept
trying to tell my mom that it was too hot, but she was thinking temperature
and not spice. I finally told her to try it. Then she knew what I meant!
My dad then called the waitress over and said something like, "How could you
serve this to a little kid?" She just shrugged. So maybe Texas kids are
different. Black eyed peas are not a common food up north. Neither is
hominy.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Night Spirit

Julie Bove Boldly typed:
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
>> This is a recipe I'm doing today. Haven't done a picture just yet.
>> Blackeyes on New Year's day is said to bring good luck for the year.
>>
>> It certainly won't hurt.
>>
>> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>>
>> Texas Caviar
>>
>> good holiday snack, very easy to make. Looks good on the table
>>
>> Recipe By: Pete Romfh
>> Serving Size: 24
>> Cuisine: TexMex
>> Main Ingredient: Beans
>> Categories: Diabetic, Vegetarian, Vegan, Kid Friendly, Superbowl,
>> New Year, No Cook, Advance, Simple - Easy, Snacks, Brunch, Appetizers

> <snip>
>
> I've seen this recipe before. Or something similar. Have never
> tried it. I like black eyed peas, but this recipe doesn't sound
> appealing to me. I also fail to see how it would be kid friendly. I
> ate black eyed peas as a child, but I've never met another kid who
> would. In fact, here in the Pacific Northwest, I've never met a
> person who would eat them, outside my own family. There's just
> something about the texture of them that people don't like.

I was raised on dried field peas, pinto beans, butterbeans, colards, turnip greens, potatoes, and corn bread. We would only have meat on sundays. White bread was only for sandwiches. My mom made bisquits or what we called whole cake which was actually just bisquit dough baked in a cast iron skillet like cornbread.

--
Happy New Year!
Nightspirit

Bullwinkle: You just leave that to my pal. He's the brains
of the outfit.
General: What does that make you ?
Bullwinkle: What else? An executive..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Wanda Blackmon

This sounds good, but what I'd always heard of as Texas caviar is a lot
simpler. Just mix a can of blackeyed peas with a can of Rotel chopped
tomatoes and peppers, It makes a great dip.

Mike
** wishes for a Blessed new Year to all **

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Wanda Blackmon wrote:
> This sounds good, but what I'd always heard of as Texas
> caviar is a lot simpler. Just mix a can of blackeyed
> peas with a can of Rotel chopped tomatoes and peppers,
> It makes a great dip.
>
> Mike
> ** wishes for a Blessed new Year to all **

That's the East Texas (Hillbilly) version.
Those of us in the Metropolitian areas are a bit (but only a little bit)
more sophisticated.
Or, at least we we put on uppity airs. =

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Texas Caviar Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 15 09-09-2012 11:08 PM
Corn Cakes With Texas "Caviar" Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 11-09-2007 01:17 AM
Buy caviar [email protected] General Cooking 0 17-04-2007 07:19 PM
Caviar Joslin Home Joslin Home Wine 0 05-12-2005 11:34 PM
Aubergine Caviar (Poor Man's Caviar) [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 05-11-2004 02:18 PM