Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Default Flaming Cheese. (de-Carbed)

This can be a fun way to start an evening or just have a bit of fun at the
table.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Saganaki (Greek Flaming Cheese) (Low Carb Version)

This is a nice bit of fun at the table. De-carbed to make it more diabetic
friendly

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 8
Cuisine: Greek
Main Ingredient: Cheese
Categories: Diabetic, Vegetarian, Meatless, Winter, Superbowl, New Year,
Fall, Fry, Simple - Easy, Snacks, Hors dOeuvres, Brunch, Appetizers

-= Ingredients =-
8 ounces Hard Greek Cheese ; - Kasseri, Graviera, or Kefalotyri
1/4 cup Egg Substitute
1/4 cup Low Carb Baking Mix
1/2 cup pure olive oil ; - not extra virgin
1 large ~~ lemon ~~; - OR
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons brandy ; - optional

-= Instructions =-
Cut the cheese into four 1/4" slices and put them in a bowl with the egg
substitute. Place the baking mix is a zip-lock bag, then take each piece of
cheese and shake it in the bag.

Place the cheese in the freezer for 30 minutes before frying. Remove from
the freezer just before frying. (The secret to the dish is to have the
cheese very cold and the oil very hot.)

When ready, drop the cheese into a very hot frying pan with a thin layer of
olive oil. It browns nicely before the cheese melts.

You may do the next part in the hot pan or on a warmed plate at the table
depending on the situation. I like to do the whole thing tableside on a
small burner but I'm kind of a "show off".

Add the brandy to the hot pan and tip it to ignite the fumes. Let it flame
for a few moments and then put the flames out by squeezing a couple quarters
of a big lemon on it. It is traditional to shout "Opa!" (Hooray!) while
doing this.

Serve with sections of Whole-wheat pita that have been lightly brushed with
oil and toasted in the oven.
A full-bodied dark beer or strong lemonade may be served with this.

AN ALTERNATIVE OPTION: (Southwestern Flamin' Cheese)
Change the cheese to Pepper Jack. Change the liquor to Tequila, and shout
"Yee Haw!"
Dust the fried cheese with a bit of chile powder and serve it with toasted
low-carb tortilla wedges.
Margaritas go well with this version.

Each (1.2 oz) serving (exclusive to the pita or tortilla) contains:
Cals: 177, FatCals: 127, TotFat: 24g
SatFat: 6g; PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 6g
Chol: 25mg, Na: 165mg, K: 133mg
TotCarb: 2g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 1g
NetCarbs: 1g, Protein: 9g

** Recipe & photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe160265 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl

Pete Romfh wrote:
> [...]

> flame for a few moments and then put the flames out by

squeezing a
> couple quarters of a big lemon on it. It is traditional

to shout
> "Opa!" (Hooray!) while doing this.
>
> Serve with sections of Whole-wheat pita that have been

lightly
> brushed with oil and toasted in the oven.
> A full-bodied dark beer or strong lemonade may be served

with this.

> AN ALTERNATIVE OPTION: (Southwestern Flamin' Cheese)
> Change the cheese to Pepper Jack. Change the liquor to

Tequila, and
> shout "Yee Haw!"
> Dust the fried cheese with a bit of chile powder and serve

it with
> toasted low-carb tortilla wedges.
> Margaritas go well with this version.
>

> Each (1.2 oz) serving (exclusive to the pita or tortilla)

Pete, you were cutting down the sat fat by using egg sub? I
find hard cheese sends my numbers fairly high, eggs don't.
Also the fat break-up - I have read that the % of fat left
after deducting sat, poly, mono etc is trans fat - the real
baddy. If that is correct the unaccounted 11 gr fat in your
total has to be trans fats? Where is it coming from?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Ozgirl wrote:
> Pete Romfh wrote:
>> Each (1.2 oz) serving (exclusive to the pita or tortilla)

> contains:
>> Cals: 177, FatCals: 127, TotFat: 24g
>> SatFat: 6g; PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 6g
>> Chol: 25mg, Na: 165mg, K: 133mg
>> TotCarb: 2g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 1g
>> NetCarbs: 1g, Protein: 9g

> Pete, you were cutting down the sat fat by using egg sub?
> I find hard cheese sends my numbers fairly high, eggs
> don't. Also the fat break-up - I have read that the % of
> fat left after deducting sat, poly, mono etc is trans fat
> - the real baddy. If that is correct the unaccounted 11
> gr fat in your total has to be trans fats? Where is it
> coming from?

'
That's a good question. My understanding is that trans-fats come from
hydrogenation and I don't see anything in here that's been processed. I'll
do a bit of reading and see what I can find.

This isn't a recipe you'd want to do every day though as the fats are a bit
high in any case.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Howard S Shubs

In article >,
"Pete Romfh" > wrote:

> This can be a fun way to start an evening or just have a bit of fun at the
> table.

I'm saving all of these. Thanks for posting them.

--
A few minutes ago I attempted to give a flying fsck, but the best I
could do was to watch it skitter across the floor. (Anthony de Boer)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message

> EVOO will work just fine. It's just a bit more expensive and has a

slightly
> lower smoke point than the "second pressing" stuff that isn't labled Extra
> Virgin. For trying and similar tasks I use the less expensive version that

> get in 1/2 gallon containers. For salads and dishes where the flavor of

the
> oil is involved I use EVOO as well. If I were you I wouldn't make a

special
> trip to the store for the other stuff.

<snip>

From an Italian cookbook, I learned that Extra Virgin is best used uncooked,
like salad dressings, dipping bread, etc. The cheaper kind is just fine for
use in cooked dishes. I always buy both. I also buy the "light" kind for
those dishes when I want a less flavorful oil. Like mashed potatoes. My
daughter can't have butter. So I substitute olive oil. Really yummy for
popping popcorn!

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:32:08 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> Huffed and Puffed the following
into the madness of usenet:

>This can be a fun way to start an evening or just have a bit of fun at the
>table.
>
> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> Saganaki (Greek Flaming Cheese) (Low Carb Version)
>
>This is a nice bit of fun at the table. De-carbed to make it more diabetic
>friendly
>
>Recipe By: Pete Romfh
>Serving Size: 8
>Cuisine: Greek
>Main Ingredient: Cheese
>Categories: Diabetic, Vegetarian, Meatless, Winter, Superbowl, New Year,
>Fall, Fry, Simple - Easy, Snacks, Hors dOeuvres, Brunch, Appetizers
>
>-= Ingredients =-
>8 ounces Hard Greek Cheese ; - Kasseri, Graviera, or Kefalotyri
>1/4 cup Egg Substitute
>1/4 cup Low Carb Baking Mix
>1/2 cup pure olive oil ; - not extra virgin
>1 large ~~ lemon ~~; - OR
>1/4 cup lemon juice
>2 tablespoons brandy ; - optional
>
>-= Instructions =-
>Cut the cheese into four 1/4" slices and put them in a bowl with the egg
>substitute. Place the baking mix is a zip-lock bag, then take each piece of
>cheese and shake it in the bag.
>
>Place the cheese in the freezer for 30 minutes before frying. Remove from
>the freezer just before frying. (The secret to the dish is to have the
>cheese very cold and the oil very hot.)

I've never used cold cheese when making saganaki. but I can see that
it would hold it's shape and not melt out of the breading if you
happened to over fry it.

>When ready, drop the cheese into a very hot frying pan with a thin layer of
>olive oil. It browns nicely before the cheese melts.
>
>You may do the next part in the hot pan or on a warmed plate at the table
>depending on the situation. I like to do the whole thing tableside on a
>small burner but I'm kind of a "show off".

for safety, remove the cheese from the oil and let it drip for a few
seconds to remove excess. Brandy(liquor of any kind) and oil and
flame are not good combinations, especially in an amateurs hands.

>Add the brandy to the hot pan and tip it to ignite the fumes. Let it flame
>for a few moments and then put the flames out by squeezing a couple quarters
>of a big lemon on it. It is traditional to shout "Opa!" (Hooray!) while
>doing this.
>
>Serve with sections of Whole-wheat pita that have been lightly brushed with
>oil and toasted in the oven.
>A full-bodied dark beer or strong lemonade may be served with this.
>
>AN ALTERNATIVE OPTION: (Southwestern Flamin' Cheese)
>Change the cheese to Pepper Jack. Change the liquor to Tequila, and shout
>"Yee Haw!"
>Dust the fried cheese with a bit of chile powder and serve it with toasted
>low-carb tortilla wedges.
>Margaritas go well with this version.
>

>Each (1.2 oz) serving (exclusive to the pita or tortilla) contains:
>Cals: 177, FatCals: 127, TotFat: 24g
>SatFat: 6g; PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 6g
>Chol: 25mg, Na: 165mg, K: 133mg
>TotCarb: 2g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 1g
>NetCarbs: 1g, Protein: 9g
>

>** Recipe & photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe160265 **
>** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

change the flavor a little by experimenting with various liquors. You
will pleasantly surprised with many of them.

--
Mck©® Deltec CoZmore Pumper
Type 1 since 1975

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o ô)

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
....Bilbo Baggins

Jesus never hated anyone.

DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message from me
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
..