FoodBanter.com

-   -   Alternate pastas (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/77149-alternate-pastas.html)

Julie Bove 22-12-2005 09:30 AM

Alternate pastas

Due to my daughter's food allergies, we must use special pasta. She can't
eat wheat or egg. Some are made with rice, corn, buckwheat, or a
combination of things. Some have pea or bean protein added. We prefer the
kind made with corn or corn and a combination of things simply because the
pasta holds up better when reheating leftovers. Some of these pastas have
more protein and fiber in them than regular pasta. And they seem to work
well for me in terms of BG. So if you like pasta and find that you can't
eat the regular kind, you might give these a try! Here, I can find some in
my regular grocery stores. But I also buy them at the health food store and
online. The best selection is online.

Tonight, I made chicken and noodles. I don't have exact proportions because
I didn't measure some of what I put in. And this type of recipe is easy to
vary by using more chicken and vegetables and less pasta. Or however you
want it.

Start by putting a splash of olive oil in a really big, skillet/sauté pan
with lid. Then add 2 chicken breasts (4 halves), cut into bite size pieces,
one medium yellow onion, finely chopped, about 8 thin carrots, sliced, 6 big
stalks of celery, sliced, 1/2 cup frozen peas, salt, pepper and parsley.
Cook for a few minutes, turning the pieces until the chicken browns a bit.
Then add a bit of chicken broth. Cook for a few more minutes, then add more
chicken broth. I used 32 ounces in it total. Put on the lid and cook until
the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.

Meanwhile, get a pot of salted water boiling for the pasta, and make a
slurry to thicken the chicken broth into gravy. You can skip the slurry if
you want a more soup-like quality. This will also lower the carb count. I
used about 3 T. of sweet rice flour, mixed with water to make a thick paste.
Add this a bit at a time to the broth, stirring well. It is important to
have the broth boiling while you do this or it won't thicken. Boil for at
least a minute or until you reach the desired thickness. You might also
want to add a bit more olive oil at this point.

Boil your noodles about a minute less than the package instructs you do to.
Alternate pastas cook really fast and if overcooked will turn quite mushy.
Drain the pasta, and add to the chicken mixture, stirring well. Allow to
sit for a minute or two before serving. The pasta will soak up some of the
gravy and become very flavorful!

You can also add green or wax beans, or mushrooms to this dish. It's very
yummy! I don't have the total carb count of this, but I can safely eat 1
1/2 to 2 cups of this, depending on how many veggies I put in. I do make an
effort to take more chicken and veggies than I do pasta when I dish up my
plate.

If you don't have sweet rice flour, you can use other things to thicken,
such as cornstarch, potato starch or tapioca starch.

--
See my webpage: