Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Default Low-Carb Oven Fried Fish

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Low-Carb Breaded Fish

Oven fried for crisp w/ extra fiber in the breading which keeps the net
carbs low. Cajun spice accents the flavor.

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 2
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Fish
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Kid Friendly, Bake, Simple - Easy, Snacks,
Main Dish, Brunch

-= Ingredients =-
2 tablespoons 7 grain cereal
2 Tablespoons Flaxseed Meal
1/4 cup Corn meal
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 teaspoon Cajun Spice mix
1/8 cup Buttermilk
1/8 cup Egg Substitute
10 ounces Whitefish ; - 2 fillets

-= Instructions =-
Mix dry (first five) ingredients in a zip-lock bag.
Blend buttermilk and egg together in a bowl.
Cut up fish into fingers or bite-sized pieces.

Preheat oven to 425°

Dip fish pieces in bowl then drop them in the bag. Shake the bag to evenly
coat the fish.
Place breaded fish on a sprayed cookie sheet then lightly spray tops with
oil.

Bake about 15 mins until lightly browned and crispy.

Each (6 oz) serving contains:
Cals: 328, FatCals: 121, TotFat, 13g
SatFat: 2g, PolyFat: 7g, MonoFat: 4g
Chol: 60mg, Na: 691mg, K: 577mg
TotCarbs: 25g, Fiber 7g, Sugars: 1g
NetCarbs: 18g, Protein: 27g

** Recipe and photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe160199 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sherry

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in
:

> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> Low-Carb Breaded Fish
>
> Oven fried for crisp w/ extra fiber in the breading which keeps the
> net carbs low. Cajun spice accents the flavor.
>
> -= Ingredients =-
> 2 tablespoons 7 grain cereal
> 2 Tablespoons Flaxseed Meal
> 1/4 cup Corn meal
> 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
> 1/2 teaspoon Cajun Spice mix
> 1/8 cup Buttermilk
> 1/8 cup Egg Substitute
> 10 ounces Whitefish ; - 2 fillets

<snip>

> Each (6 oz) serving contains:
> Cals: 328, FatCals: 121, TotFat, 13g
> SatFat: 2g, PolyFat: 7g, MonoFat: 4g
> Chol: 60mg, Na: 691mg, K: 577mg
> TotCarbs: 25g, Fiber 7g, Sugars: 1g
> NetCarbs: 18g, Protein: 27g

How about zero carb broiled fish???? No breading. That sounds a heck
of a lot better than 18-25 grams of carbs (depending on whether or not
you subtract the fiber).

It certainly wouldn't be an acceptable "low-carb" dinner for someone on
a low-carb diet!

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Sherry" > wrote in message
. 97.142...

> How about zero carb broiled fish???? No breading. That sounds a heck
> of a lot better than 18-25 grams of carbs (depending on whether or not
> you subtract the fiber).
>
> It certainly wouldn't be an acceptable "low-carb" dinner for someone on
> a low-carb diet!

I am not a fish lover, but if I'm going to eat that many carbs in a meal,
I'll have it in the form of dried beans, potatoes, bread, etc. No way would
I waste it on breading!

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sherry

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
newsh8qf.11791$CL.9784@trnddc04:

<snip>

> I am not a fish lover, but if I'm going to eat that many carbs in a
> meal, I'll have it in the form of dried beans, potatoes, bread, etc.
> No way would I waste it on breading!

Well, I'd skip the potatoes or bread (unless it's a good high-fiber whole
grain bread) and go for the beans, lentils, barley....

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> Low-Carb Breaded Fish

Had mine tonight in a mixture of coconut and oat bran. Was nicely crispy,
and coloured well.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

That's a cool idea Nicky. Did you fry it or do it in the oven ?
Almost like a high fiber, low-fat Coconut Shrimp.

The oil from the coconut probably eliminates the need to spray the food
in the "Oven Fried" scenario.

I could try a small piece of Tilapia along with the Flatiron steaks
I've got planned for this evening.
Sort of a "Surf-n-Turf" dinner.

Thanks for the idea.
Pete Romfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
TigerLily

the beauty of this dish is that those who can eat
the carbs, can eat it as presented.......... i
know that i would make the fish this way for my
family, and have my fish 'nude' and enjoy a bit of
potatoes or basmati rice with the fish

your receipes are much appreciated, to the OP,
than you very much (i don't have to think 'what is
dinner tonight' it's usually posted her for me to
add to the list of 'things to cook'

we have turkey carcas coming up soon........ i'm
making it with barley rather than rice this
time..........

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Sherry" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> "Julie Bove" > wrote

in
> newsh8qf.11791$CL.9784@trnddc04:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > I am not a fish lover, but if I'm going to eat

that many carbs in a
> > meal, I'll have it in the form of dried beans,

potatoes, bread, etc.
> > No way would I waste it on breading!
> >

> Well, I'd skip the potatoes or bread (unless

it's a good high-fiber whole
> grain bread) and go for the beans, lentils,

barley....

> Sherry

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> That's a cool idea Nicky. Did you fry it or do it in the oven ?
> Almost like a high fiber, low-fat Coconut Shrimp.

Pretty well dry-fried - I had put a slick of olive oil in the pan before I
added the carb-eaters' breaded fish, but there was none visible by the time
mine went in. I use small monkfish goujons, so I can call it "fish fingers"
for the benefit of my fish-hating kids.

Next time I'll add a bit of cayenne pepper, and maybe some lime zest.

One hour pp was 5.7, I was a bit worried about the carbiness of the oat bran
(unlabelled), but it clearly wasn't a problem : )

Nicky.