Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Default Fun Veggie Snack (Oven Fried Zucchini)

I brought the carbs down on this already low-fat recipe.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Oven Fried Zucchini

Crisp and spicy outside, tender inside, Diabetic friendly, and low fat.

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Zucchini
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Vegetarian, Vegan, Low Carb, Kid Friendly,
Bake, Simple - Easy, Vegetables, Snacks, Side Dish, Appetizers

-= Ingredients =-
1/2 pound Zucchini squash ; - two squash
1/4 cup Cornmeal ; - I use the yellow version
1/4 cup Oat Bran
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 tablespoon Cajun spice mix ; - salt free (or don't add salt)
1/2 cup Buttermilk ; - low fat if you wish
~~ -- Oven spray oil -- ~~

-= Instructions =-
Slice the squash on a diagonal into 1/2 - 3/4 inch rounds. Par-boil them for
3-4 minutes to tenderize (but not completely cook) them. Drain and let them
dry for a few minutes on paper towel.

Place the buttermilk in a shallow bowl. Put the cornmeal and bran in a
plastic bag. Add the salt and Cajun spice to the meal mixture and shake the
bag to mix.

Pre-heat oven to 400° Lightly spray a cookie sheet

Dip each piece of zucchini in buttermilk to coat it then drop it in the bag.
When you have a few pieces in the bag, close it and shake to coat the
squash. Place the coated pieces on the cookie sheet.

When all zucchini are breaded spray them lightly with oil to help with
browning.

Bake them for about 15 minutes until they are golden brown.

Each (about 6 piece) serving contains:
Cals: 39, Fat Cals: 7, TotFat: 1g
Chol: 1mg, Na: 624mg, K: 244mg
Total Carbs: 8g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 3g
Protein: 3g, NetCarbs: 6g

** Recipe and photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe160170 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
pinecone

Yum! I will take these to our next church supper where the norm is
super-carb and super-fat!

pc