Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Default More budget gourmet (Chicken-Spinach Roulades)

Boneless chicken breasts were on sale recently for $1.29/lb. I stocked up.
With the spinach and a package of sun-dried tomatoes this comes out under
$2/serving.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Roulade

Tasty, filling, low carb, and low fat.

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Chicken
Categories: Low Carb, Low Fat, Sauté, Simple - Easy, Main Dish

-= Ingredients =-
1 pkg spinach ; (10 oz) frozen, chopped
1/4 cup onion ; finely chopped
2 clove garlic ; crushed or grated
1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese ; grated
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes ; (dry-packed) chopped
1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar ; - or more - to taste
4 chicken cutlets ; (about 4 oz each)
~~ -- OR -- ~~
4 chicken ~~ breast halves ~~; trimmed and pounded thin
1/2 cup chicken broth ; (or dry white wine)

-= Instructions =-
1. Heat spinach in sauté pan. If excess moisture doesn't cook off, transfer
to strainer and press firmly with back of spoon or squeeze to remove excess
moisture. There should be at least 1/2 cup spinach. Set aside in bowl.

2. Meanwhile, combine onion, garlic, red-pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon of the
oil, and 1 tablespoon water in skillet. Turn heat to medium; when onion
sizzles, turn heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring once, until softened,
about 3 minutes. In small bowl, stir together onion mixture, cheese, and
spinach.

Set skillet aside for step 5.

3. Soften tomatoes in hot water. Add balsamic vinegar and run in blender to
a coarse paste. Spread paste evenly on smooth side of chicken.

4. Divide spinach mixture among cutlets. Spread to edges of 3 sides, leaving
about 1" at narrow tip free of spinach. Loosely roll up chicken, ending with
narrow tip, and secure with wooden picks.

5. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to skillet. Add chicken and cook over medium
heat,
turning, until golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add broth,
cover, and
cook over low heat, about 7 minutes. Uncover and transfer roulades to
serving platter. Cover with foil to keep warm.

6. Boil juices in skillet until reduced to a glaze, about 5 minutes.
Diagonally slice
roulades into one inch-thick pieces, drizzle with pan juices, and serve.

Adapter from recipe by Marie Simmons, Prevention Magazine, Sept. '05

Each (146g) serving contains:
Cals: 216, FatCals: 79, TotFat: 9g
SatFat: 3g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat 4g
Chol: 69mg, Na: 456mg, K: 431mg
TotCarbs: 5g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 2g
Protein: 29g

** Photo and recipe at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe159269 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> Boneless chicken breasts were on sale recently for $1.29/lb. I stocked up.

Holy cow! Where do you live? I just paid $6.99 a lb. and here, that's a
good price!

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
> message ...
>> Boneless chicken breasts were on sale recently for
>> $1.29/lb. I stocked up.

> Holy cow! Where do you live? I just paid $6.99 a lb.
> and here, that's a good price!

Houston, TX

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
> > "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
> > message ...
> >> Boneless chicken breasts were on sale recently for
> >> $1.29/lb. I stocked up.

> > Holy cow! Where do you live? I just paid $6.99 a lb.
> > and here, that's a good price!

Oh, okay. I used to run a recipe site with a woman from Texas. She was
always buying cheap chicken. I think Texas must be the only state in the US
where you can get it that cheap!

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message

> I wait until the supermarket has a sale, and then I buy family packs of
> boneless breasts for $1.99 a pound. I eat some and freeze the rest.
> Since I got a George Foreman Grill I've been eating a lot more boneless
> chicken breast. It makes it so tender and juicy! I've got some
> marinating in rosemary lime vinaigrette for tonight.

I used to stock up like that sometimes when I lived in CA, but I've never
seen any chicken that cheap anywhere I lived. Here, I can't stock up on
frozen stuff. I have a side by side and the freezer doesn't hold much.
Angela has a tiny freezer on her fridge, but I use that with stuff
specifically for her, like gluten free bread.

I was given a George Foreman Grill as a gift when they first came out.
Hated the thing and threw it out. Maybe they've made changes in them since
then. But the one I had cooked the meat very slowly. I could cook it far
faster in a pan. And it was a royal pain to clean!

I got a gift certificate for a store where I don't usually shop. Couldn't
really find anything I needed or wanted, so I got a big huge, deep skillet,
sauté pan with a lid on it. Works great for cooking meat in a hurry but I
have to make sure not to walk off and leave it. I've burned the pork chops
the last two times I made them. But when I cook chicken, I usually cook it
in some broth.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Susan" > wrote in message

> I'm in metro NY, and I pay a maximum of $4.99lb and often less, for
> organic boneless chicken breast, or between $1.79 for a naturally raised
> whole chicken.

I can't remember how much it was when I lived on Staten Island, but then I
was doing most of my meat shopping at the commissary there, so it would be
cheaper than the civilian price. Then again, I didn't buy a lot of raw
chicken when I lived there. So many places delivered food, and if the
family wanted chicken, we usually had it delivered.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

I noticed this morning that the local "Food-A-Rama" has Skinless,
boneless breasts for $1.49/lb in 10 pound packages.
I'll have to stop on the way home and grab a couple packages if they
look any good.

There's an advantage to having a huge (27cf) freezer at one end of the
kitchen. Along with a 2nd refrigerator.
My spouse drew the line, however, when I considered getting a walk-in
cooler as we re-designed the kitchen.
I pouted... but she won on that issue. Something about "Boys and Toys"
that I didn't understand. =

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
TigerLily

bwha ha ha ha

i love it Pete
thanks for the chuckle

(i'd have said yes to the walk-in cooler) :-)
kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I noticed this morning that the local

"Food-A-Rama" has Skinless,
> boneless breasts for $1.49/lb in 10 pound

packages.
> I'll have to stop on the way home and grab a

couple packages if they
> look any good.
>
> There's an advantage to having a huge (27cf)

freezer at one end of the
> kitchen. Along with a 2nd refrigerator.
> My spouse drew the line, however, when I

considered getting a walk-in
> cooler as we re-designed the kitchen.
> I pouted... but she won on that issue.

Something about "Boys and Toys"
> that I didn't understand. =

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My spouse drew the line, however, when I considered getting a walk-in
> cooler as we re-designed the kitchen.
> I pouted... but she won on that issue. Something about "Boys and Toys"
> that I didn't understand. =

I suppose I ought to be glad that my spousal unit likes to play with PCs,
both smaller and cheaper : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Langerhans

Pete Romfh wrote:

> My spouse drew the line, however, when I considered getting a walk-in
> cooler as we re-designed the kitchen.

I'd have pointed out how useful it would be for her many hot flashes,
but then I'm divorced. :-)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

I'd have gotten a "hot flash" ... right upside the head for something
like that.

I've got 35 years invested in the current spouse. It would take a new
one waaay to long to train me all over again. So I'm staying where I'm
at.

But Kate DID say I could have my walk-in cooler. ... Hmmm...

Nah! I an't goin' there. =

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
TigerLily

LOL
Kate has her partner.......... Kate is trying to
get a house reno adding an office/dining room to
the house.............

i can live with an office in my dining
room.......... and my dining room furniture will
fit around it

however, this all starts with a garage project,
then the sale of my house to do the modifications
on this house

one day, we will see this evenly and it will
happen!

kate (confirmed taken but would LOVE a walk in
cooler as well :-))
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk
More info: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/
http://www.diabetic-talk.org/freeveggies.htm
I have no medical qualifications beyond my own
experience.
Choose your advisers carefully, because experience
can be
an expensive teacher.

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'd have gotten a "hot flash" ... right upside

the head for something
> like that.
>
> I've got 35 years invested in the current

spouse. It would take a new
> one waaay to long to train me all over again. So

I'm staying where I'm
> at.
>
> But Kate DID say I could have my walk-in cooler.

.... Hmmm...

> Nah! I an't goin' there. =

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I noticed this morning that the local "Food-A-Rama" has Skinless,
> boneless breasts for $1.49/lb in 10 pound packages.
> I'll have to stop on the way home and grab a couple packages if they
> look any good.
>
> There's an advantage to having a huge (27cf) freezer at one end of the
> kitchen. Along with a 2nd refrigerator.
> My spouse drew the line, however, when I considered getting a walk-in
> cooler as we re-designed the kitchen.
> I pouted... but she won on that issue. Something about "Boys and Toys"
> that I didn't understand. =

My dream kitchen would be the biggest room in the house. It would have a
huge center island and walk in pantry. It would have two sinks, one just
for washing fruit and veggies. It would have professional appliances,
including an insinkerator (on of those devices that gives you instant
boiling water), refrigerator with glass doors so you could see instantly
what was there, and a small counter top beverage cooler. Of course there
would be huge freezer and ice maker as well. Ah, dream on!

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
elaich

"Julie Bove" > wrote in

>> Boneless chicken breasts were on sale recently for $1.29/lb. I
>> stocked up.

> Holy cow! Where do you live? I just paid $6.99 a lb. and here,
> that's a good price!

I just looked at the tub of boneless chicken breasts I have in my freezer.
$1.69 a pound. Bought at Sherm's Food For Less in Medford, OR. That's the
typical price.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> Boneless chicken breasts were on sale recently for $1.29/lb. I stocked up.
> With the spinach and a package of sun-dried tomatoes this comes out under
> $2/serving.
>
> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Roulade
>
> Tasty, filling, low carb, and low fat.

Made these for supper tonight. Everyone loved it - even those who are
congenitally suspicious of spinach : ) My teen hasn't been eating well
following an operation last week, but she cleared her plate, put her fork
down, and asked if we can have it again next week.

Thanks!

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/72/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"elaich" > wrote in message ...
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
>
> >> Boneless chicken breasts were on sale recently for $1.29/lb. I
> >> stocked up.

> > Holy cow! Where do you live? I just paid $6.99 a lb. and here,
> > that's a good price!

> I just looked at the tub of boneless chicken breasts I have in my freezer.
> $1.69 a pound. Bought at Sherm's Food For Less in Medford, OR. That's the
> typical price.

Bought some today for $5.99 per pound. These were not organic and not on
sale but bought at a store whose prices are cheaper overall than the other
stores. No wonder I'm always broke! Costs too much to eat here!

--
See my webpage:

Gourmet Spinach Soup Sharon[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 15-05-2007 10:39 AM
Gourmet Cucumber Chicken Salad Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 06-07-2006 03:15 AM
Spinach and Chicken Salad Kate Heeringa Recipes (moderated) 0 03-09-2005 04:58 AM
Easy Gourmet Chicken Tim Recipes 0 20-08-2005 11:46 PM
Chicken Pesto Roulades Chef2Chef Recipe Club Recipes (moderated) 0 30-05-2004 04:56 PM