Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Rich

Default Snack Foods

What eaving TV smack food is good.
Small thin Pretzels? Penut Butter?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Jennifer

Rich wrote:

> What eaving TV smack food is good.
> Small thin Pretzels? Penut Butter?

It depends on what type of food plan you're following.

Low fat?
Low carb?
Low salt?
Low cost?

Let us know and I'm sure people will jump in with suggestions.

Jennifer

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
TigerLily

the "free" foods are : cabbage, lettuce, tomato
(only 1), cucumber, zucchini, marrow (like
spaghetti squash or eggplant), cauliflower,
celery, rhubarb, yellow or green beans, bean
sprouts, spinach, greens (beet greens, swiss
chard), radishes, red or green or orange peppers,
broccoli, brussel sprouts, asparagus, mushrooms,
parsley, onions (1/2 cup)

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Rich" > wrote in message
> What eaving TV smack food is good.
> Small thin Pretzels? Penut Butter?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Joe

Almonds are pretty good, although before my diabetes it was Ben & Jerry's.
Thats probably why I'm eating Almonds now. lol
Pork rinds & Salsa works too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Rich

That doesn't seam to spark and interest

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Rich" > wrote in message
> That doesn't seam to spark and interest

Food is not supposed to spark interest. Not when you have diabetes,
anyway...

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl

Rich wrote:
> That doesn't seam to spark and interest

Popcorn, raw vegetables dipped in salsa, hommus, tzatsiki,
cottage cheese or guacamole.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Rich

Popcorn, Some Veges, I thought Large amounts of Chees was a no no.

To day I has brefast lunch no afternoon snack. and before supper I was 103.
It's 930 and I have 5 penut butter and ritzes crackers. and maby a hand
full if thin pretixels.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Rich" > wrote in message
>> That doesn't seam to spark and interest

> Food is not supposed to spark interest. Not when you have diabetes,
> anyway...

I'm still very interested in my food, and long may it continue! What needs
to happen is to STOP being interested in food when you've eaten enough. I
needed thyroxine and a low carb routine to achieve that.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Nicky" > wrote in message

> I'm still very interested in my food, and long may it continue! What needs
> to happen is to STOP being interested in food when you've eaten enough. I
> needed thyroxine and a low carb routine to achieve that.

Well, I guess you and I are different then. I have no interest whatever in
low carb foods. Yes, I eat them, but only because I have to. I also was
never one to overeat. Yes, I remember a few, very few occasions like
Christmas or Thanksgiving when I ate too much as a child and was miserable.
I do not wish to remember those days. These days I'm having a harder and
harder time summoning up any appetite whatever. And very few foods seem
appealing.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Priscilla H. Ballou

In article >,
"Rich" > wrote:

> What eaving TV smack food is good.
> Small thin Pretzels? Penut Butter?

(nonsweet) pickles
olives
whole nuts (slow down your consumption by having to shell them)

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Rich" > wrote:
>
> > What eaving TV smack food is good.
> > Small thin Pretzels? Penut Butter?

> (nonsweet) pickles
> olives
> whole nuts (slow down your consumption by having to shell them)

A dill pickle split lengthwise and filled with peanut butter is good!

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
LouisG

"Joe" > wrote in
:

> Almonds are pretty good, although before my diabetes it was Ben &
> Jerry's. Thats probably why I'm eating Almonds now. lol
> Pork rinds & Salsa works too.

being new to this diabete's thing , and now having to watch everything i
eat and how much ,, i was so glad to see that salsa is okay and very low on
everything that i have to watch ,,, i found a really good black bean salsa
that is to die for ,,,,oh , i guess that;s the reason why i have to watch
what i eat now ,,
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
LouisG

"TigerLily" > wrote in :

> the "free" foods are : cabbage, lettuce, tomato
> (only 1), cucumber, zucchini, marrow (like
> spaghetti squash or eggplant), cauliflower,
> celery, rhubarb, yellow or green beans, bean
> sprouts, spinach, greens (beet greens, swiss
> chard), radishes, red or green or orange peppers,
> broccoli, brussel sprouts, asparagus, mushrooms,
> parsley, onions (1/2 cup)

I have to thank my mother for introducing me to all different types of
veggies and to urge me to at least try them once before saying i didn't
like them ,, now some 40 years later , it's coming full circle that the
things that i can have freely are the things that she urged me to try
,,,,thanks mom.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Joe

"LouisG" > wrote in message
> "TigerLily" > wrote in :
>
>> the "free" foods are : cabbage, lettuce, tomato
>> (only 1), cucumber, zucchini, marrow (like
>> spaghetti squash or eggplant), cauliflower,
>> celery, rhubarb, yellow or green beans, bean
>> sprouts, spinach, greens (beet greens, swiss
>> chard), radishes, red or green or orange peppers,
>> broccoli, brussel sprouts, asparagus, mushrooms,
>> parsley, onions (1/2 cup)
>>

> I have to thank my mother for introducing me to all different types of
> veggies and to urge me to at least try them once before saying i didn't
> like them ,, now some 40 years later , it's coming full circle that the
> things that i can have freely are the things that she urged me to try
> ,,,,thanks mom.

Yea Well, I'm still not eating that rhubarb! rofl!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
LouisG > wrote:

> "Joe" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Almonds are pretty good, although before my diabetes it was Ben &
> > Jerry's. Thats probably why I'm eating Almonds now. lol
> > Pork rinds & Salsa works too.
> >

> being new to this diabete's thing , and now having to watch everything i
> eat and how much ,, i was so glad to see that salsa is okay and very low on
> everything that i have to watch ,,, i found a really good black bean salsa
> that is to die for ,,,,oh , i guess that;s the reason why i have to watch
> what i eat now ,,

I had a salsa omelet for breakfast. YUM!

How's the carb count with black beans in it?

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
LouisG

Priscilla Ballou > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> LouisG > wrote:
>
>> "Joe" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > Almonds are pretty good, although before my diabetes it was Ben &
>> > Jerry's. Thats probably why I'm eating Almonds now. lol
>> > Pork rinds & Salsa works too.
>> >

>> being new to this diabete's thing , and now having to watch
>> everything i eat and how much ,, i was so glad to see that salsa is
>> okay and very low on everything that i have to watch ,,, i found a
>> really good black bean salsa that is to die for ,,,,oh , i guess
>> that;s the reason why i have to watch what i eat now ,,

> I had a salsa omelet for breakfast. YUM!
>
> How's the carb count with black beans in it?
>
> Priscilla

I don't have any left at the moment ,, but i dug the jar out of the
recycling bin and it's 4g for every 2 tbsp
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Joe" > wrote in message

> Yea Well, I'm still not eating that rhubarb! rofl!

Mmmm... I love rhubarb!

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"LouisG" > wrote in message

> I don't have any left at the moment ,, but i dug the jar out of the
> recycling bin and it's 4g for every 2 tbsp

That's kind of high in carbs. Salsa is one of those things that needs to be
eaten in limited quantities. Of course, the amount of carbs really varies!
I seem to do best with a fresh salsa made of things like chopped tomato,
onion, peppers, etc.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
MaryL

"Rich" > wrote in message
> What eaving TV smack food is good.
> Small thin Pretzels? Penut Butter?

I often eat almonds (raw, unsalted) and some low-fat cheese. One of my
favorites is a bowl of fresh strawberries and blueberries with some plain
nonfat yogurt. This may sound strange, but I also snack on large quantities
of raw cauliflower. It has a "nutty" taste and texture when I just break
off small segments and eat while watching TV. As to peanut butter, that is
a rarity, but I will occasionally have peanut butter on Ezekiel toast (a
flourless bread made from sprouted grains). But pretzels? Never! They
were a favorite in my pre-diabetes day, but now I *never* eat *any* flour,
rice, pasta, potatoes, or added sugar (but I do obviously get sugar from
natural sources, such as fruit).

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

> I often eat almonds (raw, unsalted) and some low-fat cheese. One of my
> favorites is a bowl of fresh strawberries and blueberries with some plain
> nonfat yogurt. This may sound strange, but I also snack on large

quantities
> of raw cauliflower. It has a "nutty" taste and texture when I just break
> off small segments and eat while watching TV. As to peanut butter, that

is
> a rarity, but I will occasionally have peanut butter on Ezekiel toast (a
> flourless bread made from sprouted grains). But pretzels? Never! They
> were a favorite in my pre-diabetes day, but now I *never* eat *any* flour,
> rice, pasta, potatoes, or added sugar (but I do obviously get sugar from
> natural sources, such as fruit).

Newman's Own makes a high protein pretzel that I sometimes eat as a bedtime
snack. These along with a bit of cheese work well for me.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
TaniO

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 21:26:51 -0500, MaryL wrote
(in message <MxIrf.11193$9G.7969@dukeread10>):

> "Rich" > wrote in message
>> What eaving TV smack food is good.
>> Small thin Pretzels? Penut Butter?
>>

> I often eat almonds (raw, unsalted) and some low-fat cheese. One of my
> favorites is a bowl of fresh strawberries and blueberries with some plain
> nonfat yogurt. This may sound strange, but I also snack on large quantities
> of raw cauliflower. It has a "nutty" taste and texture when I just break
> off small segments and eat while watching TV. As to peanut butter, that is
> a rarity, but I will occasionally have peanut butter on Ezekiel toast (a
> flourless bread made from sprouted grains). But pretzels? Never! They
> were a favorite in my pre-diabetes day, but now I *never* eat *any* flour,
> rice, pasta, potatoes, or added sugar (but I do obviously get sugar from
> natural sources, such as fruit).

Like Julie, I have pretzels and peanut butter very
frequently, but can't manage most fruits. i can eat
small amounts of potato, rice and pasta. Snacks have
to be individually worked out, I think.

TaniO

> MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
MaryL

"TaniO" > wrote in message
thlink.net...
> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 21:26:51 -0500, MaryL wrote
> (in message <MxIrf.11193$9G.7969@dukeread10>):
>

>> "Rich" > wrote in message
>>> What eaving TV smack food is good.
>>> Small thin Pretzels? Penut Butter?
>>>

>> I often eat almonds (raw, unsalted) and some low-fat cheese. One of my
>> favorites is a bowl of fresh strawberries and blueberries with some plain
>> nonfat yogurt. This may sound strange, but I also snack on large
>> quantities
>> of raw cauliflower. It has a "nutty" taste and texture when I just break
>> off small segments and eat while watching TV. As to peanut butter, that
>> is
>> a rarity, but I will occasionally have peanut butter on Ezekiel toast (a
>> flourless bread made from sprouted grains). But pretzels? Never! They
>> were a favorite in my pre-diabetes day, but now I *never* eat *any*
>> flour,
>> rice, pasta, potatoes, or added sugar (but I do obviously get sugar from
>> natural sources, such as fruit).

> Like Julie, I have pretzels and peanut butter very
> frequently, but can't manage most fruits. i can eat
> small amounts of potato, rice and pasta. Snacks have
> to be individually worked out, I think.
>
> TaniO
>

>> MaryL

Yes, I think you're right that we need to individualize. For example, I can
eat old-fashioned oatmeal (and have a bowl almost every morning, with a
handful of fresh strawberries) and I can enjoy quite a lot of fruit,
especially berries. However, I avoid flour like the plague. My last
attempt was when I had a single slice of Oroweat whole wheat bread, and it
caused a major spike. If I avoid the "white stuff," I can keep my glucose
under control (averaging about 98) and have not needed any medication since
March of last year.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Larry Dow

No sugar added Edy's ice cream is good. Fairly low carb, low fat, and
tastes a lot like real ice cream.

Larry

"Rich" > wrote in message
> What eaving TV smack food is good.
> Small thin Pretzels? Penut Butter?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Joe" > wrote in message
: ...

: > Yea Well, I'm still not eating that rhubarb! rofl!

: Mmmm... I love rhubarb!

: --
: See my webpage:
: http://mysite.verizon.net/juliebove/index.htm

So do I , but I have to watch how much or how often I eat it as it can
cause me to have gastric problems.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker

MaryL -out-the-litter> wrote:

: I often eat almonds (raw, unsalted) and some low-fat cheese. One of my
: favorites is a bowl of fresh strawberries and blueberries with some plain
: nonfat yogurt. This may sound strange, but I also snack on large quantities
: of raw cauliflower. It has a "nutty" taste and texture when I just break
: off small segments and eat while watching TV. As to peanut butter, that is
: a rarity, but I will occasionally have peanut butter on Ezekiel toast (a
: flourless bread made from sprouted grains). But pretzels? Never! They
: were a favorite in my pre-diabetes day, but now I *never* eat *any* flour,
: rice, pasta, potatoes, or added sugar (but I do obviously get sugar from
: natural sources, such as fruit).

: MaryL

I also eat raw cauliflower adn sometimes dip itinot cocktain sauce tht I
make with low carb ketchup, wite grated horseradis and aoms lemon juice
and worcertershire sauce. ths ia also a god dip fo rany vegetables like
celer piece, baby carots, raw stringbeans, etc.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> So do I , but I have to watch how much or how often I eat it as it can
> cause me to have gastric problems.

I don't think rhubarb bothers me, but then I eat it rarely. Maybe once
every 5 years or so.

--
See my webpage:

Gluten-Free Foods are no Healthier Than Regular Foods, Study Finds graham[_4_] General Cooking 29 10-07-2015 08:32 AM
NICE FOODS,HEALTH FOODS---------It will enable your life is full ofexuberant energy [email protected] General Cooking 0 28-05-2008 05:31 PM
NICE FOODS,HEALTH FOODS---------It will enable your life is full ofexuberant energy kungfuer[_2_] General Cooking 0 28-05-2008 08:23 AM
snack foods Raleighgirl Diabetic 22 02-06-2005 04:14 PM
ko- Nabisco Snack Well's Banana Snack Bars ~*~ Bunny ~*~ Recipes 0 13-11-2004 05:14 PM