Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Joe

Default Smell the Garlic ahhhhh!

Anyone have a good way to make garlic bread? The stuff in the freezer case
is 20-24 carb's a slice. I'm "OK" with the bread I'm using(Wonder Lite
7carbs a slice), I just need a way to get the garlic flavor to it. I've
tried mixing garlic powder with butter then spreading it on toast or plain
bread. I've also tried to put it under the broiler with not much success.
I'm thinking maybe a jar of garlic paste or oil, something like that anyway.
I don't make Spaghetti a lot, so spoilage may be an issue with garlic paste.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl

I do it the same way I make regular garlic bread or rolls.
Mix lots of paste to butter, spread on bread and bake til
the butter melts and goes into the bread. Not very long in a
warm to hot oven. The paste I keep in the fridge, it lasts
ages. I use it in stir frys, meat sauces etc as well.

Joe wrote:
> Anyone have a good way to make garlic bread? The stuff in

the freezer
> case is 20-24 carb's a slice. I'm "OK" with the bread I'm
> using(Wonder Lite 7carbs a slice), I just need a way to

get the
> garlic flavor to it. I've tried mixing garlic powder with

butter then
> spreading it on toast or plain bread. I've also tried to

put it under
> the broiler with not much success. I'm thinking maybe a

jar of garlic
> paste or oil, something like that anyway. I don't make

Spaghetti a
> lot, so spoilage may be an issue with garlic paste.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Joe

Great thanks for the info, I'll try the paste. I was real worried about
wasting the stuff.

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>I do it the same way I make regular garlic bread or rolls.
> Mix lots of paste to butter, spread on bread and bake til
> the butter melts and goes into the bread. Not very long in a
> warm to hot oven. The paste I keep in the fridge, it lasts
> ages. I use it in stir frys, meat sauces etc as well.
>
> Joe wrote:
>> Anyone have a good way to make garlic bread? The stuff in

> the freezer
>> case is 20-24 carb's a slice. I'm "OK" with the bread I'm
>> using(Wonder Lite 7carbs a slice), I just need a way to

> get the
>> garlic flavor to it. I've tried mixing garlic powder with

> butter then
>> spreading it on toast or plain bread. I've also tried to

> put it under
>> the broiler with not much success. I'm thinking maybe a

> jar of garlic
>> paste or oil, something like that anyway. I don't make

> Spaghetti a
>> lot, so spoilage may be an issue with garlic paste.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Joe wrote:
> Anyone have a good way to make garlic bread? The stuff in
> the freezer case is 20-24 carb's a slice. I'm "OK" with
> the bread I'm using(Wonder Lite 7carbs a slice), I just
> need a way to get the garlic flavor to it. I've tried
> mixing garlic powder with butter then spreading it on
> toast or plain bread. I've also tried to put it under the
> broiler with not much success. I'm thinking maybe a jar
> of garlic paste or oil, something like that anyway. I
> don't make Spaghetti a lot, so spoilage may be an issue
> with garlic paste.

Try warming some olive oil (fairly hot, but not boiling) and crushing fresh
garlic into the warm oil.
Let it sit for 30 minutes or so to absorb the garlic flavor then paint it on
the bread along with some butter.
Or add a few fresh herbs and just a dash of balsamic vinegar.
Put it in a bowl on the table and dip your bread in that mixture.

That's the fancy "bread dip" you get in restaurants.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
bop

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:20:37 +0000, Joe wrote:

> Great thanks for the info, I'll try the paste. I was real worried about
> wasting the stuff.
>
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>I do it the same way I make regular garlic bread or rolls.
>> Mix lots of paste to butter, spread on bread and bake til
>> the butter melts and goes into the bread. Not very long in a
>> warm to hot oven. The paste I keep in the fridge, it lasts
>> ages. I use it in stir frys, meat sauces etc as well.
>>
>> Joe wrote:
>>> Anyone have a good way to make garlic bread? The stuff in

>> the freezer
>>> case is 20-24 carb's a slice. I'm "OK" with the bread I'm
>>> using(Wonder Lite 7carbs a slice), I just need a way to

>> get the
>>> garlic flavor to it. I've tried mixing garlic powder with

>> butter then
>>> spreading it on toast or plain bread. I've also tried to

>> put it under
>>> the broiler with not much success. I'm thinking maybe a

>> jar of garlic
>>> paste or oil, something like that anyway. I don't make

>> Spaghetti a
>>> lot, so spoilage may be an issue with garlic paste.

In a morter & pestle (or equiv) crush peeled garlic and
fresh rosemary together add to a good olive oil and put
away (not refrigerated) for a week, strain out the solids
and use the oil to make your own mayonnaise.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

bop wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:20:37 +0000, Joe wrote:
>
>> Great thanks for the info, I'll try the paste. I was
>> real worried about wasting the stuff.
>>
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>> I do it the same way I make regular garlic bread or
>>> rolls. Mix lots of paste to butter, spread on bread
>>> and bake til the butter melts and goes into the bread.
>>> Not very long in a warm to hot oven. The paste I keep
>>> in the fridge, it lasts ages. I use it in stir frys,
>>> meat sauces etc as well.

>>> the freezer
>>> get the
>>> butter then
>>> put it under
>>> jar of garlic
>>> Spaghetti a
>>>

> In a morter & pestle (or equiv) crush peeled garlic and
> fresh rosemary together add to a good olive oil and put
> away (not refrigerated) for a week, strain out the solids
> and use the oil to make your own mayonnaise.

Unfortunately there's a very high probablility of getting Botulism toxcicity
from garlic stored in oil unless there's also an acidifying agent present.
You might want to read a couple of articles on the topic.

http://www.colostate.edu/Orgs/safefo...R/v2n4s08.html
http://cecalaveras.ucdavis.edu/garlic.htm

"STORING GARLIC IN OIL
Extreme care must be taken when preparing flavored oils with garlic or when
storing garlic in oil. Peeled garlic cloves may be submerged in oil and
stored in the freezer for several months. Do not store garlic in oil at room
temperature. Garlic-in-oil mixtures stored at room temperature provide
perfect conditions for producing botulism toxin (low acidity, no free oxygen
in the oil, and warm temperatures). The same hazard exists for roasted
garlic stored in oil. At least three outbreaks of botulism associated with
garlic-in-oil mixtures have been reported in North America.

By law, commercially prepared garlic in oil has been prepared using strict
guidelines and must contain citric or phosphoric acid to increase the
acidity. Unfortunately, there is no easy or reliable method to acidify
garlic in the home. Acidifying garlic in vinegar is a lengthy and highly
variable process; a whole clove of garlic covered with vinegar can take from
3 days to more than 1 week to sufficiently acidify. As an alternative,
properly dried garlic cloves may be safely added to flavor oils. "

However a fresh, warm oil will absorb a good deal of the garlic essence and
would then make a fine aioli or garlic mayo which could be safely stored in
the refrigerator. Take a look at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe16602

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
quietguy

Me too, but I use a french bread stick - I cut nearly thru the bread at
3/4 inch or so intervals, spread these 'slices' with my garlic
paste/butter mixture, then pop the loaf into the oven until the butter
mixture melts into the bread. Works fine for me.

David

Ozgirl wrote:

> I do it the same way I make regular garlic bread or rolls.
> Mix lots of paste to butter, spread on bread and bake til
> the butter melts and goes into the bread. Not very long in a
> warm to hot oven. The paste I keep in the fridge, it lasts
> ages. I use it in stir frys, meat sauces etc as well.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
quietguy

My jar of garlic paste is about 2 years old at the moment, and still tastes
OK. Naturally I keep it in the fridge

David