Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Joe

Default garlic bread ?

Anyone have a good way to make garlic bread? The stuff in the freezer case
is 20-24 carb's a slice. I'm "OK" with the bread I'm using(Wonder Lite
7carbs a slice), I just need a way to get the garlic flavor to it. I've
tried mixing garlic powder with butter then spreading it on toast or plain
bread. I've also tried to put it under the broiler with not much success.
I'm thinking maybe a jar of garlic paste or oil, something like that anyway.
I don't make Spaghetti a lot, so spoilage may be an issue with garlic paste.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
TigerLily

toast a piece of bread in the regular toaster

when it's cooked, take a clove of garlic and rub
it lightly on the surface of the bread to dispense
the garlic.............. the more you rub on, the
garlicier it becomes.......

enjoy!
(oh, and butter after you do the garlic)

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Joe" > wrote in
message ...
> Anyone have a good way to make garlic bread? The

stuff in the freezer case
> is 20-24 carb's a slice. I'm "OK" with the

bread I'm using(Wonder Lite
> 7carbs a slice), I just need a way to get the

garlic flavor to it. I've
> tried mixing garlic powder with butter then

spreading it on toast or plain
> bread. I've also tried to put it under the

broiler with not much success.
> I'm thinking maybe a jar of garlic paste or oil,

something like that anyway.
> I don't make Spaghetti a lot, so spoilage may be

an issue with garlic paste.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Joe" > wrote in message
> Anyone have a good way to make garlic bread? The stuff in the freezer case
> is 20-24 carb's a slice. I'm "OK" with the bread I'm using(Wonder Lite
> 7carbs a slice), I just need a way to get the garlic flavor to it. I've
> tried mixing garlic powder with butter then spreading it on toast or plain
> bread. I've also tried to put it under the broiler with not much success.
> I'm thinking maybe a jar of garlic paste or oil, something like that

anyway.
> I don't make Spaghetti a lot, so spoilage may be an issue with garlic

paste.

You can buy a "butter" with garlic already in it. I've seen it sold next to
the hot loaves of garlic bread in my local grocery store. I've never bought
it, but I suspect they use transfat laden margarine rather than butter.
I've made garlic bread a few times, but I don't know if the bread you want
to use would work for it. I normally use French bread. You need a crusty
bread rather than a soft one. One thing you might try is to fry the bread
in a skillet. I'd use a mix of butter and olive oil. Not a lot. Just
enough to coat the pan. Sprinkle in a bit of the garlic powder, then put in
your bread. Fry it until crisp and brown on one side, then flip and do the
other. You might also try a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on the bread after
you've flipped it. This will help to crisp it up. Turn it again and cook
briefly to brown the cheese.

Make sure that you are in fact using garlic powder and not garlic salt.
There is a difference. And make sure your garlic powder is fresh. If
you're using the cheap kind, it might not be good.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Joe

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> You can buy a "butter" with garlic already in it. I've seen it sold next
> the hot loaves of garlic bread in my local grocery store. I've never
> bought
> it, but I suspect they use transfat laden margarine rather than butter.
> I've made garlic bread a few times, but I don't know if the bread you want
> to use would work for it. I normally use French bread. You need a crusty
> bread rather than a soft one. One thing you might try is to fry the bread
> in a skillet. I'd use a mix of butter and olive oil. Not a lot. Just
> enough to coat the pan. Sprinkle in a bit of the garlic powder, then put
> in
> your bread. Fry it until crisp and brown on one side, then flip and do
> the
> other. You might also try a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on the bread
> after
> you've flipped it. This will help to crisp it up. Turn it again and cook
> briefly to brown the cheese.
>
> Make sure that you are in fact using garlic powder and not garlic salt.
> There is a difference. And make sure your garlic powder is fresh. If
> you're using the cheap kind, it might not be good.
>
> --
> See my webpage:
> http://mysite.verizon.net/juliebove/index.htm

I never thought of frying it. Hmmmmm Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Joe wrote:
> Anyone have a good way to make garlic bread? The stuff in
> the freezer case is 20-24 carb's a slice. I'm "OK" with
> the bread I'm using(Wonder Lite 7carbs a slice), I just
> need a way to get the garlic flavor to it. I've tried
> mixing garlic powder with butter then spreading it on
> toast or plain bread. I've also tried to put it under the
> broiler with not much success. I'm thinking maybe a jar
> of garlic paste or oil, something like that anyway. I
> don't make Spaghetti a lot, so spoilage may be an issue
> with garlic paste.

This version isn't especially low-carb but I won a medal for it last year.
You could use the same idea and "lighten" it up a bit.

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe158735

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh