Posted to alt.food.diabetic
LouisG

Default A Newbie to the group ,, a question to start off

I've recently been diagnosed a type 2 and have started to go through the
stages of seeing a dietitian , econologist(sp) , and diabetes "classes" and
the first step was to see my dietitian today ,,, and i have a question to
toss out here.

She is telling me that she would like to see me cut down or out my juices
,,eg: cranberry , tomato , but her only suggestions to replace these is
water or something like crystal lite.

I'm going to go nuts if i have to exist on those only ,, i love my juice
and i realize that i'm going to have to cut out/down on somethings ,, but
what other suggestions are there.

I've been lurking here for a bit ,, but i'm sure after all this has sunk in
and all the food changes , doctors appt's , etc are taking place i'll be
posting a lot more often ,, there are just so many damn questions that i
can't spit them all out right now.

Thanks
Gord
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
LouisG

Alice Faber > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> LouisG > wrote:
>
>> I've recently been diagnosed a type 2 and have started to go through
>> the stages of seeing a dietitian , econologist(sp) , and diabetes
>> "classes" and the first step was to see my dietitian today ,,, and i
>> have a question to toss out here.
>>
>> She is telling me that she would like to see me cut down or out my
>> juices ,,eg: cranberry , tomato , but her only suggestions to replace
>> these is water or something like crystal lite.
>>
>> I'm going to go nuts if i have to exist on those only ,, i love my
>> juice and i realize that i'm going to have to cut out/down on
>> somethings ,, but what other suggestions are there.
>>
>> I've been lurking here for a bit ,, but i'm sure after all this has
>> sunk in and all the food changes , doctors appt's , etc are taking
>> place i'll be posting a lot more often ,, there are just so many damn
>> questions that i can't spit them all out right now.

> From the point of diabetes, fruit juice is almost pure sugar. It will
> affect your blood sugar as much as regular (non-diet) soda will, for a
> similar serving size.
>
> Once you get your blood sugar meter, you can test this for yourself.
> When I was diagnosed, there were a lot of things I thought were
> non-negotiable food choices. But seeing what they did to my blood
> sugar made me rethink things.
>
> If you have to have fruit juice, your best bet (still not a very good
> one) is to get Ocean Spray light cranberry juice. Since cranberries
> are so tart, all commercial cranberry juices are sweetened, and the
> Ocean Spray light uses Splenda, an artificial sweetener. Then, check
> your kitchen for juice glasses, those tiny little glasses that hold
> 4-6 ounces of liquid, and drink that small amount only. And see how it
> affects your blood sugar.
>
> These days, the only time I ever have fruit juice is if I'm at a hotel
> with an expensive breakfast buffet. Mostly I load up on protein, but
> I'll have a *very* small glass (2 sips, maybe) of fresh squeezed
> orange juice.

This is the type of cranberry that i've been drinking ,, after reading
another thread earlier in the group ,, some of the drinks like Diet Rite
,,though not available it seems here in Canada ,, or the link to the 0
Carbs , 0 sugar , 0 caffiene flavored water by Nestles might be something
to look into ,,, what do you think??
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
LouisG

Susan > wrote in
:

> Diet V8 splash may be okay, especially if you cut it with some water
> (it's very sweet).

V8 would be great , as i tried to get her to change her mind with tomato
juice ,, but that didn't work ,,, i'm really going to miss my juices

> Water. Really. Maybe with frozen lemon or lime slice floating in it.
> My favorite is lemon/lime seltzer. Sometimes I'll add a TBS of
> Pomegranate juice to it, but drinking juice is completely off the
> menu.
>
> You won't go nuts, you'll be too busy having fun with all your new
> energy. :-)
>

>> I've been lurking here for a bit ,, but i'm sure after all this has
>> sunk in and all the food changes , doctors appt's , etc are taking
>> place i'll be posting a lot more often ,, there are just so many damn
>> questions that i can't spit them all out right now.

> It's a lot to take in at first, but getting control and feeling better
> is very rewarding.
>
> Susan

Well when i get into a better frame of mind and get my exercise routine
underway , then i hope to see some rewards ,,,and see 30 less pounds in
the mirror ,, then maybe it'll put a good spin on all this.

Gord
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"LouisG" > wrote in message
> or the link to the 0
> Carbs , 0 sugar , 0 caffiene flavored water by Nestles might be something
> to look into ,,, what do you think??

No caffeine? Where's the fun in that? : )

I've become a big fan of green tea. I get a number of fruit flavoured
varieties and mix the teabags up (OK, I'm a peasant to use teabags!). These
satisfy my urge for a fruit taste, whilst giving me a healthy drink that
boosts my metabolism. In the summer, it's great iced.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Jennifer

LouisG wrote:

> Susan > wrote in
> :
>

>>Diet V8 splash may be okay, especially if you cut it with some water
>>(it's very sweet).

> V8 would be great , as i tried to get her to change her mind with tomato
> juice ,, but that didn't work ,,, i'm really going to miss my juices

Diet V8 Splash isn't tomato... it's a fruit juice.

http://www.v8juice.com/splash.aspx

Only 10 calories and 3 grams of carbs per 8-ounce serving.

It seems very frustrating at the beginning... but it will come clearer
and clearer as time passes.

Here's the advice I give all newbies:

Sounds like you're planning a move to take control of your diabetes... good
for you.

There is so much to absorb... you don't have to rush into anything. Begin
by using your best weapon in this war, your meter. You won't keel over
today, you have time to experiment, test, learn, test and figure out just
how your body and this disease are getting along. The most important
thing you can do to learn about yourself and diabetes is test test test.

More than most anything, what you eat will affect your diabetes and
your blood glucose numbers.

And more than anything you eat, carbs will affect your diabetes and
your blood glucose numbers.

So, the most important information you can begin to compile about
yourself, is how your body handles carbs.

This sounds like you would need a low carb food plan right?

You don't... what you need to uncover is YOUR Personalized Carb Number.

Which actually works better for most everyone. Because low to one
person is wildly high to another, but waaaaay too low for someone
else.

Is low carb less than 30g a day? Is it anything less than the
Pyramid reccomendations?

Finding your Personalized Carb Number is easy.

Here's how you can figure out your own Personalized Carb Number.

The single biggest question a diabetic has to answer is:

What do I eat?

Unfortunately, the answer is pretty confusing.

What confounds us all is the fact that different diabetics can get great
results on wildly different food plans. Some of us here achieve
great blood glucose control eating a high complex carbohydrate diet.
Others find that anything over 75 - 100g of carbs a day is too
much. Still others are somewhere in between.

At the beginning all of us felt frustrated. We wanted to be handed
THE way to eat, to ensure our continued health. But we all
learned that there is no one way. Each of us had to find our own path,
using the experience of those that went before, but still having
to discover for ourselves how OUR bodies and this disease were coexisting.

Ask questions, but remember each of us discovered on our own what works best
for us. You can use our experiences as jumping off points, but eventually
you'll work up a successful plan that is yours alone.

What you are looking to discover is how different foods affect you. As I'm
sure you've read, carbohydrates (sugars, wheat, rice... the things our
Grandmas called "starches") raise blood sugars the most rapidly. Protein
and fat do raise them, but not as high and much more slowly... so if you're
a T2, generally the insulin your body still makes may take care of the rise.

You might want to try some experiments.

First: Eat whatever you've been
currently eating... but write it all down.
Test yourself at the following times:

Upon waking (fasting)
1 hour after each meal
2 hours after each meal
At bedtime

That means 8 x each day. What you will discover by this is how long
after a meal your highest reading comes... and how fast you return to
"normal". Also, you may see that a meal that included bread, fruit or
other carbs gives you a higher reading.

Then for the next few days, try to curb your carbs. Eliminate breads,
cereals, rices, beans, any wheat products, potato, corn, fruit... get all
your carbs from veggies. Test at the same schedule above.

If you try this for a few days, you may find some pretty damn good
readings. It's worth a few days to discover.

Eventually you can slowly add back carbs until you see them affecting your
meter.

The thing about this disease... though we share much in common and we
need to
follow certain guidelines... in the end, each of our bodies dictate our
treatment and our success.

The closer we get to non-diabetic numbers, the greater chance we have of
avoiding horrible complications. The key here is AIM... I know that
everyone is at a different point in their disease... and it is progressive.
But, if we aim for the best numbers and do our best, we give ourselves the
best shot at heath we've got.
That's all we can do.

Here's my opinion on what numbers to aim for, they are non-diabetic numbers.

FBG under 100
One hour after meals under 140
Two hours after meals under 120

or for those in the mmol parts of the world:

Fasting Under 6
One hour after meals Under 8
Two hours after meals Under 6.5

Recent studies have indicated that the most important numbers are your
"after meal" numbers. They may be the most indicative of future
complications, especially heart problems.

Listen to your doctor, but you are the leader of your diabetic
care team. While his /her advice is learned, it is not absolute. You
will end up knowing much more about your body and how it's handling
diabetes than your doctor will. Your meter is your best weapon.

Just remember, we're not in a race or a competition with anyone but
ourselves... Play around with your food plan... TEST TEST TEST. Learn what
foods cause spikes, what foods cause cravings... Use your body as a science
experiment.

You'll read about a lot of different ways people use to control their
diabetes... Many are diametrically opposed. After awhile you'll learn that
there is no one size fits all around here. Take some time to experiment
and you'll soon discover the plan that works for you.

Now come on over to alt.support.diabetes!

We've got other Canadians there.

Jennifer

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
LouisG

"Nicky" > wrote in
:

> "LouisG" > wrote in message
>> or the link to the 0
>> Carbs , 0 sugar , 0 caffiene flavored water by Nestles might be
>> something to look into ,,, what do you think??

> No caffeine? Where's the fun in that? : )
>
> I've become a big fan of green tea. I get a number of fruit flavoured
> varieties and mix the teabags up (OK, I'm a peasant to use teabags!).
> These satisfy my urge for a fruit taste, whilst giving me a healthy
> drink that boosts my metabolism. In the summer, it's great iced.
>
> Nicky.

Figured i'd save the caffiene for my coffee fix.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Mr Libido Incognito

Nicky wrote on 07 Dec 2005 in alt.food.diabetic

> "LouisG" > wrote in message
> > or the link to the 0
> > Carbs , 0 sugar , 0 caffiene flavored water by Nestles might be
> > something to look into ,,, what do you think??

> No caffeine? Where's the fun in that? : )
>
> I've become a big fan of green tea. I get a number of fruit flavoured
> varieties and mix the teabags up (OK, I'm a peasant to use teabags!).
> These satisfy my urge for a fruit taste, whilst giving me a healthy
> drink that boosts my metabolism. In the summer, it's great iced.
>
> Nicky.

Tetley sells a nice vanilla herbal tea ...almost needs no sweetener...in
Safeway and Super Stores at least in WPG. Mb.

I've been in the low 5's (mmol) for a year now. My daily input of carbs is
round about 20-30 and I've kept off 65 lbs. Find out about Net
Carbs...Those are the ones that count the most. The energy you'll have on
low carb is amazing! Even your eyesight will improve slightly...

Breaking your addictions to certain foods (like white sugar) is harder than
quiting smoking...It was for me, anyways...Err By the Way 95% of diabetic
smokers loose at least part of one leg.

More on fruit juices...those fresh squeezed jobs that are 100% fruit juice
take multiple fruits to fill a glass..so a glass of oj could be the same as
4 oir 5 oranges. I survive on Crystal Lite Ice tea...for cold drinks for
hot drinks I take my coffee black.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sherry

Susan > wrote in
:

> Diet V8 splash may be okay, especially if you cut it with some water
> (it's very sweet).

Love the stuff!

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sherry

LouisG > wrote in
:

> I've recently been diagnosed a type 2 and have started to go through
> the stages of seeing a dietitian , econologist(sp) , and diabetes
> "classes" and the first step was to see my dietitian today ,,, and i
> have a question to toss out here.
>
> She is telling me that she would like to see me cut down or out my
> juices ,,eg: cranberry , tomato , but her only suggestions to
> replace these is water or something like crystal lite.<snip>
>
> Thanks
> Gord

Oh juices - no good unless you're hypo and need to bring your blood
sugars up fast!!!!

Tomato juice isn't too bad, but stay away from the other ones!
Cranberry juice is loaded with sugar to make it palatable.

The whole fruit is always best - more nutritious and more fiber
although it can spike some people. (Melons and other tropical fruit
are bad)

I hear ya about how frustrating it is to cut out favorite foods!

Sherry

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl

LouisG wrote:
> Susan > wrote in
> :
>

>> Diet V8 splash may be okay, especially if you cut it with

some water
>> (it's very sweet).

> V8 would be great , as i tried to get her to change her

mind with
> tomato juice ,, but that didn't work ,,, i'm really

going to miss
> my juices

Here's something to ponder. Fruit juices are what a lot of
use to come out of hypos, i.e. it is a fast acting carb and
raises the bg's, often too high. The amount you probably
COULD handle may not be worth it. 2nd thought. The part
about not being able to change the mind of the dietitican...
this is YOUR body, no one else's. If you haven't tested the
effect of tomato juice on your bg's then no one knows
whether you tolerate it or not. I personally can drink
tomato juice with no spike in bg's. I can't do that with any
of the fruit juices.

Finding what works for each of us is through trial and
error. Take a test, eat or drink the test food/drink, then
test at least at the 1 hour point and 2 hour post meal
point. If bg's went too high then adjust the amount of the
food. If it ends up being a tiny amount of food or drink
then probably better to skip it entirely for the time being.

> Well when i get into a better frame of mind and get my

exercise
> routine underway , then i hope to see some rewards ,,,and

see 30 less
> pounds in the mirror ,, then maybe it'll put a good spin

on all this.

Rome wasn't built in a day, it all comes together, usually
within a couple of months. You learn what foods and drinks
affect you, you learn how much you need to eat before
exercise, etc etc.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Priscilla H. Ballou

In article >,
LouisG > wrote:

> Well when i get into a better frame of mind and get my exercise routine
> underway , then i hope to see some rewards ,,,and see 30 less pounds in
> the mirror ,, then maybe it'll put a good spin on all this.

Gord, I dropped 40 lbs over my first couple of years as a type 2
diabetic -- almost entirely from cutting back on carb consumption.
Exercise is really good for you, but don't discount the positive effects
of limiting carb intake.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
LouisG

Sherry > wrote in
. 97.142:

> LouisG > wrote in
> :
>
>> I've recently been diagnosed a type 2 and have started to go through
>> the stages of seeing a dietitian , econologist(sp) , and diabetes
>> "classes" and the first step was to see my dietitian today ,,, and i
>> have a question to toss out here.
>>
>> She is telling me that she would like to see me cut down or out my
>> juices ,,eg: cranberry , tomato , but her only suggestions to
>> replace these is water or something like crystal lite.<snip>
>>
>> Thanks
>> Gord

> Oh juices - no good unless you're hypo and need to bring your blood
> sugars up fast!!!!
>
> Tomato juice isn't too bad, but stay away from the other ones!
> Cranberry juice is loaded with sugar to make it palatable.
>
> The whole fruit is always best - more nutritious and more fiber
> although it can spike some people. (Melons and other tropical fruit
> are bad)
>
> I hear ya about how frustrating it is to cut out favorite foods!
>
> Sherry

I figured that most are gone now ,, the tomato juice kibosh was mostly
about the salt in it ,,,have to look around and see if there's something
like this out there that's low in salt ,,i tried out some Tetly Tea
tonight that has no sugar , no caffeine , yada yada ,,a Strawberry blend
of some type ,,drank it black and wasn't to bad ,,,also picked up some
Nestle's flavored water that was mentioned in another thread ,,even warm
it wasn't bad tasting ,,,it has no carbs , no sugars , no caffeine , no
juice ,,, can't wait to try it cold.

Guess i'll have to make some new favorite foods ,,,,,thank god i love
salads ,, just have to come up with some recipes for dressing.

Gord
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Night Spirit

LouisG Boldly typed:
> I've recently been diagnosed a type 2 and have started to go through
> the stages of seeing a dietitian , econologist(sp) , and diabetes
> "classes" and the first step was to see my dietitian today ,,, and i
> have a question to toss out here.
>
> She is telling me that she would like to see me cut down or out my
> juices ,,eg: cranberry , tomato , but her only suggestions to
> replace
> these is water or something like crystal lite.
>
> I'm going to go nuts if i have to exist on those only ,, i love my
> juice and i realize that i'm going to have to cut out/down on
> somethings ,, but what other suggestions are there.
>
> I've been lurking here for a bit ,, but i'm sure after all this has
> sunk in and all the food changes , doctors appt's , etc are taking
> place i'll be posting a lot more often ,, there are just so many
> damn
> questions that i can't spit them all out right now.
>
> Thanks
> Gord

Have you tried fresh squeezed Orange juice and homemade lemonaide
using a sugar sub?

--

Happy Holidays,
Dale aka Nightspirit

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

LouisG wrote:
> Sherry > wrote in
> . 97.142:
>
>> LouisG > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> I've recently been diagnosed a type 2 and have started
>>> to go through the stages of seeing a dietitian ,
>>> econologist(sp) , and diabetes "classes" and the first
>>> step was to see my dietitian today ,,, and i have a
>>> question to toss out here.
>>>
>>> She is telling me that she would like to see me cut
>>> down or out my juices ,,eg: cranberry , tomato , but
>>> her only suggestions to replace these is water or
>>> something like crystal lite.<snip>
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Gord

>> Oh juices - no good unless you're hypo and need to bring
>> your blood sugars up fast!!!!
>>
>> Tomato juice isn't too bad, but stay away from the other
>> ones! Cranberry juice is loaded with sugar to make it
>> palatable.
>>
>> The whole fruit is always best - more nutritious and
>> more fiber although it can spike some people. (Melons
>> and other tropical fruit are bad)
>>
>> I hear ya about how frustrating it is to cut out
>> favorite foods!
>>
>> Sherry
>>

> I figured that most are gone now ,, the tomato juice
> kibosh was mostly about the salt in it ,,,have to look
> around and see if there's something like this out there
> that's low in salt ,,i tried out some Tetly Tea tonight
> that has no sugar , no caffeine , yada yada ,,a
> Strawberry blend of some type ,,drank it black and wasn't
> to bad ,,,also picked up some Nestle's flavored water
> that was mentioned in another thread ,,even warm it
> wasn't bad tasting ,,,it has no carbs , no sugars , no
> caffeine , no juice ,,, can't wait to try it cold.
>
> Guess i'll have to make some new favorite foods
> ,,,,,thank god i love salads ,, just have to come up with
> some recipes for dressing.
>
> Gord

I'm new to this diabetic thing also and have been finding my way food-wise.
Something to try if you like tomato is a "zero-points" soup. I make it
frequently.
The recipe is at http://www.bigoven.com/recipe159866 and there's a
suggestion
for low-sodium as well. You can link from there to my personal "chef's
page"
where you can search for other ideas I've tried. I also post recipes here
from
time-to-time to gather comments and ideas.

There are lots of folks here that have been living with this for a long
time. They
are always willing to share their experience and thoughts. It will take a
while before
you start to figure out what works for you but you can live with diabetes
and
still eat good food.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"LouisG" > wrote in message
> I've recently been diagnosed a type 2 and have started to go through the
> stages of seeing a dietitian , econologist(sp) , and diabetes "classes"

and
> the first step was to see my dietitian today ,,, and i have a question to
> toss out here.
>
> She is telling me that she would like to see me cut down or out my juices
> ,,eg: cranberry , tomato , but her only suggestions to replace these is
> water or something like crystal lite.
>
> I'm going to go nuts if i have to exist on those only ,, i love my juice
> and i realize that i'm going to have to cut out/down on somethings ,, but
> what other suggestions are there.
>
> I've been lurking here for a bit ,, but i'm sure after all this has sunk

in
> and all the food changes , doctors appt's , etc are taking place i'll be
> posting a lot more often ,, there are just so many damn questions that i
> can't spit them all out right now.

You really do have to stop drinking the juice. It is loaded with carbs!!!
And it's not really good for you. Far better to eat whole fruit than to
drink juice. Tomato juice, lemon and lime juice are all lower in carbs than
other juices. You could also try Diet V-8 splash. But even with that you
can't go hog wild and drink it all day or suck down a huge glass of it.
What some people do is to put a small splash of juice in some club soda or
seltzer.

You might also find that once you get your BG (blood glucose) under control,
you'll no longer want juice. I was never much of a juice drinker until I
got pregnant. Then suddenly I was craving juice all the time! That's when
I discovered I had GD (gestational diabetes). I changed my diet and I no
longer wanted the juice. When our BG is high, we sometimes crave sweet
things.

--
See my webpage: