Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Default Curtido (Pickled Cabbage Slaw)

I make this in a lage bowl then transfer it to a gallon freezer bag for easy
storage in the refrigerator. It's even better in a couple of days. You can
add habanero pepper of you prefer a hotter taste.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Salvadoran Curtido Or Pickled Cabbage Slaw

This colorful tangy-spicy cabbage slaw is popular with papusas or other
Salvadoran dishes.

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 8
Cuisine: Mexican
Main Ingredient: Cabbage
Categories: Salads, Side Dish, Vegetables, No Cook, Low Fat, Low Carb

-= Ingredients =-
1/2 head Green Cabbage ; - shredded
2 cups Shredded Carrots ; - shredded
2 cups Broccoli slaw
2 medium Jalapeno peppers ; (red) ; - shopped fine
1 medium Red onion ; - chopped
1/2 cup Cider vinegar
2 large Limes ; - Juice of
1 tablespoon Lime zest
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/4 cup Splenda ; -granulated
1 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil

-= Instructions =-
Heat vinegar, salt, and lime juice in a small pan. Turn off heat, add
Splenda and allow to cool a bit.
Toss vegetable ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the olive oil to
the vinegar mix and pour over vegetables while tossing. Store, covered, in
the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Overnight is better.

Makes about 8 (1 cup) servings.
Each serving contains:
Cals: 68, FatCals: 18
Total Fat 2g, MonoFat: 1g
Chol: 0mg, Sodium: 237mg, Potassium: 277mg
Carbs: 13g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 5g
Protein: 1g.

** Photo posted at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe159963 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> 2 cups Broccoli slaw

I need a translation - what's this in UK English, anyone know?

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
None Given

"Nicky" > wrote in message

> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> > 2 cups Broccoli slaw

> I need a translation - what's this in UK English, anyone know?

Shredded broccoli stems with a little shredded carrot and red cabbage mixed
in. It comes in a12 oz. bag, you add your own salad dressing or I guess you
could use it in stir frys.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Nicky" > wrote in message

> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> > 2 cups Broccoli slaw

> I need a translation - what's this in UK English, anyone know?

It's broccoli that is chopped up and sold in a bag to make slaw out of. It
might contain other ingredients. Not sure since I don't care for broccoli
so I wouldn't buy it. Regular slaw is usually just shredded carrots and
cabbage, sold in a bag. You then add your dressing of choice and whatever
other ingredients you want. I rarely buy it that way since it is easy and
much cheaper to make my own.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:48:05 -0600, "None Given"
> wrote:

>Shredded broccoli stems with a little shredded carrot and red cabbage mixed
>in. It comes in a12 oz. bag, you add your own salad dressing or I guess you
>could use it in stir frys.

Blimey.

The things I miss by buying fresh veges at the market and
using a knife.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
>> > 2 cups Broccoli slaw

>> I need a translation - what's this in UK English, anyone know?

> It's broccoli that is chopped up and sold in a bag to make slaw out of.
> It
> might contain other ingredients. Not sure since I don't care for broccoli
> so I wouldn't buy it. Regular slaw is usually just shredded carrots and
> cabbage, sold in a bag. You then add your dressing of choice and whatever
> other ingredients you want. I rarely buy it that way since it is easy and
> much cheaper to make my own.

Thanks, Julie and None Given. You learn something new every day : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
None Given

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> so I wouldn't buy it. Regular slaw is usually just shredded carrots and
> cabbage, sold in a bag. You then add your dressing of choice and whatever
> other ingredients you want. I rarely buy it that way since it is easy and
> much cheaper to make my own.

DH won't eat anything with carrot in it. I guess being color blind makes
them look like shit to him.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:02:38 -0600, "None Given"
> wrote:

>> so I wouldn't buy it. Regular slaw is usually just shredded carrots and
>> cabbage, sold in a bag. You then add your dressing of choice and whatever
>> other ingredients you want. I rarely buy it that way since it is easy and
>> much cheaper to make my own.

>DH won't eat anything with carrot in it. I guess being color blind makes
>them look like shit to him.

I presume that he doesn't drink beer.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
None Given

"Alan S" > wrote in message

> I presume that he doesn't drink beer.

Occasionally.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 00:33:53 -0600, "None Given"
> wrote:

>"Alan S" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I presume that he doesn't drink beer.

>Occasionally.

Obviously his imagination is more fertile when looking at
solid objects. Do you know the Australian colloquial term
for beer? Hint - it is related to the colour and is also one
of the results of imbibing it:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Alan S wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:48:05 -0600, "None Given"
> > wrote:
>
>> Shredded broccoli stems with a little shredded carrot
>> and red cabbage mixed in. It comes in a12 oz. bag, you
>> add your own salad dressing or I guess you could use it
>> in stir frys.

> Blimey.
>
> The things I miss by buying fresh veges at the market and
> using a knife.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Bag Salad is one of the hottest new food items over here.
Many folks don't cook at all. They only order, open, or assemble their
meals.

I use broccoli slaw because my wife likes it, it's quick to use, and keeps
well in the fridge.
One could certainly take the time to peel & julliene fresh stems and shed
cabbage if they so desired.
The result would certainly be fresher, more colorful and flavorful. Depends
on the time one has available.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
None Given

"Alan S" > wrote in message

> Obviously his imagination is more fertile when looking at
> solid objects. Do you know the Australian colloquial term
> for beer? Hint - it is related to the colour and is also one
> of the results of imbibing it:-)

Beer, unlike carrots, does not look like turds on his plate.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> Bag Salad is one of the hottest new food items over here.
> Many folks don't cook at all. They only order, open, or assemble their
> meals.

Most of the people I know don't cook at all, ever. I do cook but I also buy
bagged salad. The reason I buy it is that I like a blend of greens and if I
were to buy a head of each type of lettuce and combine them, I'd have salad
coming out of my ears! I also buy the peeled "baby" carrots and the sliced
apples in individual packs. These are easy to tuck into Angela's lunch and
I've found she is much more likely to eat something that comes prepackaged
than if I were to package it myself. I also buy fruit salad. Yes, it is
expensive, but again if I were to buy the same mix of whole fruits, I'd have
fruit coming out my ears!

> I use broccoli slaw because my wife likes it, it's quick to use, and keeps
> well in the fridge.
> One could certainly take the time to peel & julliene fresh stems and shed
> cabbage if they so desired.
> The result would certainly be fresher, more colorful and flavorful.

Depends
> on the time one has available.

About the only time I ever bought the packages slaw was when I was staying
with my in-laws some years back. I was often fixing food for a large number
of people in an unfamiliar kitchen and also doing additional work in caring
for my disabled mother in law. So anything I could do in terms of shortcuts
was a big help!

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:47:14 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> wrote:

>Alan S wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:48:05 -0600, "None Given"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Shredded broccoli stems with a little shredded carrot
>>> and red cabbage mixed in. It comes in a12 oz. bag, you
>>> add your own salad dressing or I guess you could use it
>>> in stir frys.

>> Blimey.
>>
>> The things I miss by buying fresh veges at the market and
>> using a knife.
>>
>> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

>Bag Salad is one of the hottest new food items over here.
>Many folks don't cook at all. They only order, open, or assemble their
>meals.
>
>I use broccoli slaw because my wife likes it, it's quick to use, and keeps
>well in the fridge.
>One could certainly take the time to peel & julliene fresh stems and shed
>cabbage if they so desired.
>The result would certainly be fresher, more colorful and flavorful. Depends
>on the time one has available.

Try this Pete:
http://tinyurl.com/ac6tc

For example the one in the fridge right now includes
cabbage, broccoli, cauli, sweet corn, spanish onion,
capsicum (bell pepper), olives, celery, and carrot.

I only need to make it up every few days. Properly sealed
and stored it keeps well. I used it for at least one meal
daily - yesterday lunch stir-fry with salmon, garlic,
ginger, oyster sauce and fish sauce; day before as a vege
curry stir-fry with garlic, ginger, turmeric, chili, cloves,
cumin, garam masala, coconut cream; this morning sauteed as
an omelette filling with a little cheese on top.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Alan S wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:47:14 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> > wrote:
>
>> Alan S wrote:
>>> On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:48:05 -0600, "None Given"

>>> Blimey.
>>>
>>> The things I miss by buying fresh veges at the market
>>> and using a knife.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

>> Bag Salad is one of the hottest new food items over here.
>> Many folks don't cook at all. They only order, open, or
>> assemble their meals.
>>
>> I use broccoli slaw because my wife likes it, it's quick
>> to use, and keeps well in the fridge.
>> One could certainly take the time to peel & julliene
>> fresh stems and shed cabbage if they so desired.
>> The result would certainly be fresher, more colorful and
>> flavorful. Depends on the time one has available.

> Try this Pete:
> http://tinyurl.com/ac6tc
>
> For example the one in the fridge right now includes
> cabbage, broccoli, cauli, sweet corn, spanish onion,
> capsicum (bell pepper), olives, celery, and carrot.
>
> I only need to make it up every few days. Properly sealed
> and stored it keeps well. I used it for at least one meal
> daily - yesterday lunch stir-fry with salmon, garlic,
> ginger, oyster sauce and fish sauce; day before as a vege
> curry stir-fry with garlic, ginger, turmeric, chili,
> cloves, cumin, garam masala, coconut cream; this morning
> sauteed as an omelette filling with a little cheese on
> top.
>

> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

That looks like a useful trick. I'll have to chop up a batch next weekend.