Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Default Cornbread w/ no sugar/flour

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Southern Style Cornbread (no sugar or flour)

This is lower in carbs than other recipes. I use it to make cornbread
stuffing.

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 12
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Corn
Categories: Diabetic, Low Carb, Bake, Simple - Easy, Bread

-= Ingredients =-
2 cups cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs ; beaten
2 cups buttermilk ; (no substitutions)
2 tablespoons bacon drippings ; veg. oil or melted butter

-= Instructions =-
Heat oven to 450. Grease a well-seasoned 9 inch cast iron skillet with 2
tablespoons oil or bacon drippings. Leave oil in bottom of pan. Place pan in
oven to heat. Combine ingredients using the muffin method and mix well. Pour
into hot skillet. Batter will sizzle.

Bake at 450 for 35 minutes or until golden brown. For a crispier bottom
crust, sprinkle a little cornmeal into pan before adding batter. Serves 6 to
8

Muffin method: Combine dry ingredients, mix. Combine wet ingredients, mix.
Add wet to dry and mix.
Adapted from recipe by: Vicki Beausoleil

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 25 Nov 2005 09:18:08a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pete
Romfh?

> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> Southern Style Cornbread (no sugar or flour)
>
> This is lower in carbs than other recipes. I use it to make cornbread
> stuffing.
>
> Recipe By: Pete Romfh
> Serving Size: 12
> Cuisine: American
> Main Ingredient: Corn
> Categories: Diabetic, Low Carb, Bake, Simple - Easy, Bread
>
> -= Ingredients =-
> 2 cups cornmeal
> 2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 2 large eggs ; beaten
> 2 cups buttermilk ; (no substitutions)
> 2 tablespoons bacon drippings ; veg. oil or melted butter
>
> -= Instructions =-
> Heat oven to 450. Grease a well-seasoned 9 inch cast iron skillet with 2
> tablespoons oil or bacon drippings. Leave oil in bottom of pan. Place
> pan in oven to heat. Combine ingredients using the muffin method and mix
> well. Pour into hot skillet. Batter will sizzle.
>
> Bake at 450 for 35 minutes or until golden brown. For a crispier bottom
> crust, sprinkle a little cornmeal into pan before adding batter. Serves
> 6 to 8

That's exactly how our family has always made cornbread, except that we use
baking soda instead of baking powder. I've never liked cornbread that
contained flour.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*