Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Default Tuna Salad (with diabetic Option)

Here's something Peggy and I created today:

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Low Fat Tuna Sandwich (Diabetic Option)

Open faced tuna salad sandwiches that won't destroy your diet.

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Tuna
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Low Fat, Broil, Simple - Easy, Snacks,
Sandwiches, Brunch

-= Ingredients =-
6 ounces Tuna ; - 1 can, water packed
1 stalk Celery ; - chopped fine
2 medium Scallions ; - chopped fine
1 tablespoon Pickle relish, sweet
1/4 cup Plain yogurt ; - fat-free
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 pinch Kosher salt
4 slices Whole grain bread ; - Toasted
2 slices Non-fat Cheese slices
4 slices Fresh Tomato
4 leaves Fresh loose-leaf lettuce ; -Diabetic option

-= Instructions =-
Blend together Tuna, celery, Scallions, and relish. Blend the lemon juice
into the yogurt and add to the tuna mixture. Season to taste with salt &
pepper.

Spread 1/4 of the mixture on each slice of toast. Top with 1/2 slice of
cheese and pop it under the broiler (on in the toaster oven) just long
enough to melt the cheese.

Garnish with a tomato slice, lightly sprinkled with pepper.

The creaminess of the yogurt combined with the tang of the lemon makes a low
fat replacement for the traditional mayo used in tuna salad.

Cals: 263, Fat: 6g, Carb: 31g, Fiber: 4g, Prot: 22g

DIABETIC OPTION:
You can make this diabetic-friendly by serving it on lettuce leaves instead
of the bread. That cuts 27 grams of carbs and 150 calories from the dish.

Cals: 121, Fat: 4g, Chol: 10mg, Na: 311mg, K: 233mg, Carbs: 5g, Fiber: 1g,
Prot: 16g

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. BigOven.com ID=
160011 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> Here's something Peggy and I created today:
>
> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> Low Fat Tuna Sandwich (Diabetic Option)
>
> Open faced tuna salad sandwiches that won't destroy your diet.
>
> Recipe By: Pete Romfh
> Serving Size: 4
> Cuisine: American
> Main Ingredient: Tuna
> Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Low Fat, Broil, Simple - Easy, Snacks,
> Sandwiches, Brunch
>
> -= Ingredients =-
> 6 ounces Tuna ; - 1 can, water packed
> 1 stalk Celery ; - chopped fine
> 2 medium Scallions ; - chopped fine
> 1 tablespoon Pickle relish, sweet
> 1/4 cup Plain yogurt ; - fat-free
> 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
> 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
> 1 pinch Kosher salt
> 4 slices Whole grain bread ; - Toasted
> 2 slices Non-fat Cheese slices
> 4 slices Fresh Tomato
> 4 leaves Fresh loose-leaf lettuce ; -Diabetic option
>
> -= Instructions =-
> Blend together Tuna, celery, Scallions, and relish. Blend the lemon juice
> into the yogurt and add to the tuna mixture. Season to taste with salt &
> pepper.
>
> Spread 1/4 of the mixture on each slice of toast. Top with 1/2 slice of
> cheese and pop it under the broiler (on in the toaster oven) just long
> enough to melt the cheese.
>
> Garnish with a tomato slice, lightly sprinkled with pepper.
>
> The creaminess of the yogurt combined with the tang of the lemon makes a

low
> fat replacement for the traditional mayo used in tuna salad.
>
> Cals: 263, Fat: 6g, Carb: 31g, Fiber: 4g, Prot: 22g
>
> DIABETIC OPTION:
> You can make this diabetic-friendly by serving it on lettuce leaves

instead
> of the bread. That cuts 27 grams of carbs and 150 calories from the dish.
>
> Cals: 121, Fat: 4g, Chol: 10mg, Na: 311mg, K: 233mg, Carbs: 5g, Fiber: 1g,
> Prot: 16g

I don't understand why you would want this to be low fat? I don't yogurt,
but doesn't yogurt have carbs? And non-fat cheese is higher in carbs than
the regular stuff. Plus it has a horrible taste and texture. I'll just
stick to the way I make it. Water packed tuna from a pouch, a bit of mayo
and plenty of fresh veggies. I always use onion and celery, but sometimes
add carrots and radishes. My mom just mixes tuna and chopped cucumber. No
dressing whatever. That works for her, but I don't like cucumber very much.
I used to always use the pickle relish but discovered that I like it better
without.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
> message ...
>> Here's something Peggy and I created today:
>>
>> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>>
>> Low Fat Tuna Sandwich (Diabetic Option)
>>
>> Open faced tuna salad sandwiches that won't destroy your
>> diet.
>>
>> Recipe By: Pete Romfh
>> Serving Size: 4
>> Cuisine: American
>> Main Ingredient: Tuna
>> Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Low Fat, Broil, Simple -
>> Easy, Snacks, Sandwiches, Brunch
>>
>> -= Ingredients =-
>> 6 ounces Tuna ; - 1 can, water packed
>> 1 stalk Celery ; - chopped fine
>> 2 medium Scallions ; - chopped fine
>> 1 tablespoon Pickle relish, sweet
>> 1/4 cup Plain yogurt ; - fat-free
>> 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
>> 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
>> 1 pinch Kosher salt
>> 4 slices Whole grain bread ; - Toasted
>> 2 slices Non-fat Cheese slices
>> 4 slices Fresh Tomato
>> 4 leaves Fresh loose-leaf lettuce ; -Diabetic option
>>
>> -= Instructions =-
>> Blend together Tuna, celery, Scallions, and relish.
>> Blend the lemon juice into the yogurt and add to the
>> tuna mixture. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
>>
>> Spread 1/4 of the mixture on each slice of toast. Top
>> with 1/2 slice of cheese and pop it under the broiler
>> (on in the toaster oven) just long enough to melt the
>> cheese.
>>
>> Garnish with a tomato slice, lightly sprinkled with
>> pepper.
>>
>> The creaminess of the yogurt combined with the tang of
>> the lemon makes a

> low
>> fat replacement for the traditional mayo used in tuna
>> salad.
>>
>> Cals: 263, Fat: 6g, Carb: 31g, Fiber: 4g, Prot: 22g
>>
>> DIABETIC OPTION:
>> You can make this diabetic-friendly by serving it on
>> lettuce leaves

> instead
>> of the bread. That cuts 27 grams of carbs and 150
>> calories from the dish.
>>
>> Cals: 121, Fat: 4g, Chol: 10mg, Na: 311mg, K: 233mg,
>> Carbs: 5g, Fiber: 1g, Prot: 16g

> I don't understand why you would want this to be low fat?
> I don't yogurt, but doesn't yogurt have carbs? And non-
> fat cheese is higher in carbs than the regular stuff.
> Plus it has a horrible taste and texture. I'll just
> stick to the way I make it. Water packed tuna from a
> pouch, a bit of mayo and plenty of fresh veggies. I
> always use onion and celery, but sometimes add carrots
> and radishes. My mom just mixes tuna and chopped
> cucumber. No dressing whatever. That works for her, but
> I don't like cucumber very much. I used to always use the
> pickle relish but discovered that I like it better
> without.

My spouse is on a low-fat diet and I did that part to suit her needs.
I know the cheese in pretty bad which is why I used it in great moderation.
I'll run the analysis on both versions and see what the number come out as.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Pete Romfh wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
>> message ...
>>> Here's something Peggy and I created today:

== snipped ===

>> I don't understand why you would want this to be low fat?
>> I don't yogurt, but doesn't yogurt have carbs? And non-
>> fat cheese is higher in carbs than the regular stuff.
>> Plus it has a horrible taste and texture. I'll just
>> stick to the way I make it. Water packed tuna from a
>> pouch, a bit of mayo and plenty of fresh veggies. I
>> always use onion and celery, but sometimes add carrots
>> and radishes. My mom just mixes tuna and chopped
>> cucumber. No dressing whatever. That works for her, but
>> I don't like cucumber very much. I used to always use the
>> pickle relish but discovered that I like it better
>> without.

> My spouse is on a low-fat diet and I did that part to
> suit her needs. I know the cheese in pretty bad which is
> why I used it in great moderation. I'll run the analysis
> on both versions and see what the number come out as.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Pete Romfh wrote:
> Pete Romfh wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
>>> message -
>>> pc.org...
>>>>

> == snipped ===
>>>
>>> I don't understand why you would want this to be low
>>> fat? I don't yogurt, but doesn't yogurt have carbs?
>>> And non- fat cheese is higher in carbs than the regular
>>> stuff. Plus it has a horrible taste and texture. I'll
>>> just stick to the way I make it. Water packed tuna
>>> from a pouch, a bit of mayo and plenty of fresh
>>> veggies. I always use onion and celery, but sometimes
>>> add carrots and radishes. My mom just mixes tuna and
>>> chopped cucumber. No dressing whatever. That works
>>> for her, but I don't like cucumber very much. I used to
>>> always use the pickle relish but discovered that I like
>>> it better without.

>> My spouse is on a low-fat diet and I did that part to
>> suit her needs. I know the cheese in pretty bad which is
>> why I used it in great moderation. I'll run the analysis
>> on both versions and see what the number come out as.

AN D... If I'd learn to type I wouldn't hit the send button beore adding my
comments.

I looked up Miracle Whip vs. Lucerne yogurt.
Yogurt has 1/4 the calories and fat and 1/3 the carbs of Miracle Whip.
You actually gain 30% more carbs with the "fat-free" version of either
ingredient. The stuff they use to replace the fat and give the emulsion
"structure" is a starch. I've been avoiding the Fat-free versions of
ingredients in many cases but I haven't found a decent low-fat yogurt that's
available in small containers.

Thanks for challenging my assumption. It made me do my homework and was
quite educational. Sometime I get caught up in the advertising hype and
assume the manufacturers wouldn't mis-lead me. They DID tell me there IS a
Santa Claus you know.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
None Given

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> Thanks for challenging my assumption. It made me do my homework and was
> quite educational. Sometime I get caught up in the advertising hype and
> assume the manufacturers wouldn't mis-lead me. They DID tell me there IS a
> Santa Claus you know.

Mayo has less carbs than miracle whip.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Vicki Beausoleil

None Given wrote:

> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> > Thanks for challenging my assumption. It made me do my homework and was
> > quite educational. Sometime I get caught up in the advertising hype and
> > assume the manufacturers wouldn't mis-lead me. They DID tell me there IS a
> > Santa Claus you know.

> Mayo has less carbs than miracle whip.
>
> --
> No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Best thing to do is make your own with olive oil. Then turn half into
Aioli <insert Homer Simpson drool here> mmmmmm Aioooooliiii

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
> None Given wrote:
>>
>> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
>> message ...
>>> Thanks for challenging my assumption. It made me do my
>>> homework and was quite educational. Sometime I get
>>> caught up in the advertising hype and assume the
>>> manufacturers wouldn't mis-lead me. They DID tell me
>>> there IS a Santa Claus you know.

>> Mayo has less carbs than miracle whip.
>>
>> --
>> No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

> Best thing to do is make your own with olive oil. Then
> turn half into Aioli <insert Homer Simpson drool here> mmmmmm Aioooooliiii
>
> Vicki

Aioli certainly tastes best. But the 419 calories and 45 grams of fat per
serving (3 tbs) isn't something you'd want to go frequently unless you're
very active.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
>> Best thing to do is make your own with olive oil. Then
>> turn half into Aioli <insert Homer Simpson drool here> mmmmmm
>> Aioooooliiii

> Aioli certainly tastes best. But the 419 calories and 45 grams of fat per
> serving (3 tbs) isn't something you'd want to go frequently unless you're
> very active.

Well, I'd normally use a single tablespoon, but that's the advantage of a
low-carb lifestyle over a low-fat one - a tablespoon of polyunsaturated fat
seasoned with all those lovely flavinols fits right in to my diet : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Vicki Beausoleil

Nicky wrote:

> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> > Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
> >> Best thing to do is make your own with olive oil. Then
> >> turn half into Aioli <insert Homer Simpson drool here> mmmmmm
> >> Aioooooliiii

> > Aioli certainly tastes best. But the 419 calories and 45 grams of fat per
> > serving (3 tbs) isn't something you'd want to go frequently unless you're
> > very active.

> Well, I'd normally use a single tablespoon, but that's the advantage of a
> low-carb lifestyle over a low-fat one - a tablespoon of polyunsaturated fat
> seasoned with all those lovely flavinols fits right in to my diet : )
>
> Nicky.
>
> --
> A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
> 1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
> 95/73/72Kg

I usually use around 2 tablespoons, plus a splash of cider vinegar for
extra zing. I basically only watch carbs and type of fat. I'm scrawny,
so I should eat more calories, not less! Garlicky yogurt would do the
job. I've recently gotten quite addicted to Mediterranean yogurt, to me
it's like eating sour cream. It makes labneh to die for!

Vicki

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
> Nicky wrote:
>>
>> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
>> message ...
>>>
>>> Aioli certainly tastes best. But the 419 calories and
>>> 45 grams of fat per serving (3 tbs) isn't something
>>> you'd want to go frequently unless you're very active.

>> Well, I'd normally use a single tablespoon, but that's
>> the advantage of a low-carb lifestyle over a low-fat one
>> - a tablespoon of polyunsaturated fat seasoned with all
>> those lovely flavinols fits right in to my diet : )
>>
>> Nicky.
>>
>> --
>> A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
>> 1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
>> 95/73/72Kg

> I usually use around 2 tablespoons, plus a splash of
> cider vinegar for extra zing. I basically only watch
> carbs and type of fat. I'm scrawny, so I should eat more
> calories, not less! Garlicky yogurt would do the job.
> I've recently gotten quite addicted to Mediterranean
> yogurt, to me it's like eating sour cream. It makes
> labneh to die for!
>
> Vicki

I wish I was so blessed. I've got to cut fat, cals, and carbs.
I won't be seeing a real double cheeseburger for a looooong time.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
None Given

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message

> I wish I was so blessed. I've got to cut fat, cals, and carbs.
> I won't be seeing a real double cheeseburger for a looooong time.

Throw out the bun and have it on a salad.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
>> It makes
>> labneh to die for!

What's that, Vicki?

> I wish I was so blessed. I've got to cut fat, cals, and carbs.
> I won't be seeing a real double cheeseburger for a looooong time.

Um, Pete - what are you going to live on? : ) Most diabetics find that a
low-carb diet keeps the blood sugar controlled best, although some seem to
cope on a low-fat, low-GI carb diet. Generally people pick one diet or the
other (with sensible substitutions such as watching sat fats), not both...

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Vicki Beausoleil

Nicky wrote:

> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> > Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
> >> It makes
> >> labneh to die for!

> What's that, Vicki?
>
> > I wish I was so blessed. I've got to cut fat, cals, and carbs.
> > I won't be seeing a real double cheeseburger for a looooong time.

> Um, Pete - what are you going to live on? : ) Most diabetics find that a
> low-carb diet keeps the blood sugar controlled best, although some seem to
> cope on a low-fat, low-GI carb diet. Generally people pick one diet or the
> other (with sensible substitutions such as watching sat fats), not both...
>
> Nicky.
>
> --
> A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
> 1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
> 95/73/72Kg

Labneh is the arabic word for yogurt cheese. I love the stuff.

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Vicki Beausoleil" > wrote in message
> Labneh is the arabic word for yogurt cheese. I love the stuff.

Ah! OK, thanks. I love new words!

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Vicki Beausoleil

Nicky wrote:

> "Vicki Beausoleil" > wrote in message
> > Labneh is the arabic word for yogurt cheese. I love the stuff.

> Ah! OK, thanks. I love new words!
>
> Nicky.
>
> --
> A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
> 1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
> 95/73/72Kg

Sooo, you're a linguaphile, are you?

Check this out.

http://wordsmith.org

I've been a member since my first day with internet access.

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Nicky wrote:
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
> message ...
>> Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
>>> It makes
>>> labneh to die for!

> What's that, Vicki?
>
>> I wish I was so blessed. I've got to cut fat, cals, and
>> carbs. I won't be seeing a real double cheeseburger for
>> a looooong time.

> Um, Pete - what are you going to live on? : ) Most
> diabetics find that a low-carb diet keeps the blood sugar
> controlled best, although some seem to cope on a low-fat,
> low-GI carb diet. Generally people pick one diet or the
> other (with sensible substitutions such as watching sat
> fats), not both...
>
> Nicky.

I'm dealing with metabolic syndrome. Hyperlipidemia, Hypertension, Obesity,
and Diabetes.
It's moderately common in older males.
High blood sugar make the others twice as risky but getting fat levels down
is equally important.
So far I've brought my weight down 30 lbs, blood pressure down 40 points,
lipids in half, and HgA1c is now 6.4.
Thus I'm trying to develop dishes that aere low in both fat and carbs.
Otherwise I die from a stroke or MI.
Of course, they *might* stand over the casket and say, "Weren't his sugar
levels low? He certainly *looks* healthy."

I agree that one or the other diet would be easier but not everyone has the
luxury of choosing.
--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
None Given

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> > Susan

> There is when your HDL is high and you're being threatened with a heart
> attack or stroke.

HDL is GOOD, you want it to be high.
Fat is only dangerous in the presence of refined carbs. Eat fat with a
little protein and lots of low carb veggies.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:36:56 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> wrote:

>> Cutting out carbs *and* fat is unhealthy and unsavory.
>> Bleah. There's no healthy reason to do both.
>>
>> Susan

>There is when your HDL is high and you're being threatened with a heart
>attack or stroke.

There's a little too much generalisation there. There are
many types of fat; some you do want to cut, like trans-fats,
some you may not, like mono-unsaturated. Starvation is only
effective as a final and terminal method.

I hope you meant LDL; most of us want higher HDL.

Whatever the threat, panic reactions are less effective than
thoughtful reactions (unless you are in an ER:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Alan S wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:36:56 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> > wrote:
>
>>> Cutting out carbs *and* fat is unhealthy and unsavory.
>>> Bleah. There's no healthy reason to do both.
>>>
>>> Susan

>> There is when your HDL is high and you're being
>> threatened with a heart attack or stroke.

> There's a little too much generalisation there. There are
> many types of fat; some you do want to cut, like trans-
> fats, some you may not, like mono-unsaturated. Starvation
> is only effective as a final and terminal method.
>
> I hope you meant LDL; most of us want higher HDL.
>
> Whatever the threat, panic reactions are less effective
> than thoughtful reactions (unless you are in an ER:-)
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Yes, I meant LDL.
This isn't a panic reaction. I'm not cutting out all fats. But I'm certainly
reducing the amount of animal fat I take in based on (what I consider to be)
sound medical advice. A double cheeseburger isn't good for me any way you
slice it, with or without the bun.

A Burger King "Double Whopper with cheese" BTW works out to:
1090 cals (I'm trying to stay around 1500/day). 69g fat (I get 49/day) with
70% of it cholesterol, 56g Protein (I'm good there), 53g Carbs, and 4g fiber
and close to a gram of salt. That would pretty well wreck my diet for
several days. I'd be mainlining Zocor and HCTZ for a week exclusive of what
it would do to my glucose level.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:15:41 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> wrote:

>Alan S wrote:

>>> There is when your HDL is high and you're being
>>> threatened with a heart attack or stroke.

>> There's a little too much generalisation there. There are
>> many types of fat; some you do want to cut, like trans-
>> fats, some you may not, like mono-unsaturated. Starvation
>> is only effective as a final and terminal method.
>>
>> I hope you meant LDL; most of us want higher HDL.
>>
>> Whatever the threat, panic reactions are less effective
>> than thoughtful reactions (unless you are in an ER:-)
>>
>> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

>Yes, I meant LDL.
>This isn't a panic reaction. I'm not cutting out all fats. But I'm certainly
>reducing the amount of animal fat I take in based on (what I consider to be)
>sound medical advice. A double cheeseburger isn't good for me any way you
>slice it, with or without the bun.
>
>A Burger King "Double Whopper with cheese" BTW works out to:
>1090 cals (I'm trying to stay around 1500/day). 69g fat (I get 49/day) with
>70% of it cholesterol, 56g Protein (I'm good there), 53g Carbs, and 4g fiber
>and close to a gram of salt. That would pretty well wreck my diet for
>several days. I'd be mainlining Zocor and HCTZ for a week exclusive of what
>it would do to my glucose level.

I'm glad you clarified that.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Night Spirit

My fast food demon is Big Macs

--

Thank Ye Kindly,

Dale aka Night Spirit
"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> Alan S wrote:

>>> There is when your HDL is high and you're being
>>> threatened with a heart attack or stroke.

>> There's a little too much generalisation there. There are
>> many types of fat; some you do want to cut, like trans-
>> fats, some you may not, like mono-unsaturated. Starvation
>> is only effective as a final and terminal method.
>>
>> I hope you meant LDL; most of us want higher HDL.
>>
>> Whatever the threat, panic reactions are less effective
>> than thoughtful reactions (unless you are in an ER:-)
>>
>> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

> Yes, I meant LDL.
> This isn't a panic reaction. I'm not cutting out all fats. But I'm
> certainly
> reducing the amount of animal fat I take in based on (what I
> consider to be)
> sound medical advice. A double cheeseburger isn't good for me any
> way you
> slice it, with or without the bun.
>
> A Burger King "Double Whopper with cheese" BTW works out to:
> 1090 cals (I'm trying to stay around 1500/day). 69g fat (I get
> 49/day) with
> 70% of it cholesterol, 56g Protein (I'm good there), 53g Carbs, and
> 4g fiber
> and close to a gram of salt. That would pretty well wreck my diet
> for
> several days. I'd be mainlining Zocor and HCTZ for a week exclusive
> of what
> it would do to my glucose level.
>
> --
> Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
> http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
> promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Vicki Beausoleil" > wrote in message
> http://wordsmith.org

Oh, cool, thanks! I've been enjoying Google's word-a-day thing, but words
that come to me are even better : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> I'm dealing with metabolic syndrome. Hyperlipidemia, Hypertension,
> Obesity,
> and Diabetes.

They're all one syndrome, don't panic! And inflammation is the link. Try
researching about the Cypriot diet or the Polymath diet, which specifically
target all the areas you're worried about, without being low fat. You'd have
to see what your meter says about individual items and your blood sugar
levels.

> So far I've brought my weight down 30 lbs,

Well, that's the big key! Congratulations, and may you achieve and maintain
goal weight : ) What exercise routine are you following?

> I agree that one or the other diet would be easier but not everyone has
> the
> luxury of choosing.

Hyperlipidaemia, hypertension and high bgs are the usual condition for
diabletics, along with the weight. Pretty well everyone who does low spike
as a diet improves ALL their markers. The choice of what goes in to
low-spike requires a bit of intelligence - I read everything Quentin writes,
and eat pretty well what he recommends. It ends up a low sat, moderate unsat
fat, lowish carb diet that meets 100% of RDA for everything - and tastes
good : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Nicky wrote:
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
> message ...
>> I'm dealing with metabolic syndrome. Hyperlipidemia,
>> Hypertension, Obesity,
>> and Diabetes.

> They're all one syndrome, don't panic! And inflammation
> is the link. Try researching about the Cypriot diet or
> the Polymath diet, which specifically target all the
> areas you're worried about, without being low fat. You'd
> have to see what your meter says about individual items
> and your blood sugar levels.
>
>> So far I've brought my weight down 30 lbs,

> Well, that's the big key! Congratulations, and may you
> achieve and maintain goal weight : ) What exercise
> routine are you following?
>
>> I agree that one or the other diet would be easier but
>> not everyone has the
>> luxury of choosing.

> Hyperlipidaemia, hypertension and high bgs are the usual
> condition for diabletics, along with the weight. Pretty
> well everyone who does low spike as a diet improves ALL
> their markers. The choice of what goes in to low-spike
> requires a bit of intelligence - I read everything
> Quentin writes, and eat pretty well what he recommends.
> It ends up a low sat, moderate unsat fat, lowish carb
> diet that meets 100% of RDA for everything - and tastes
> good : )
>
> Nicky.

Thanks for the info. I'm counting daily steps (6000 average) and hitting the
treadmill (2, 20 min miles) at least 3X/week.
I got attacked by an Indian buffet and 2 cookies during a business
conference yesterday. Today we're having the TG Potluck in the office.
Everyone waits to see what "the chef" will bring.

This time it's vegetable-cornbread dressing (from the ideas discussed on
A.S.D.) and roasted-garlic mashed cauliflower.
If it's successful I'll write up the recipe for the dressing and post it.

The cauliflower recipe is available at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe159985

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the info. I'm counting daily steps (6000 average) and hitting
> the
> treadmill (2, 20 min miles) at least 3X/week.

Nice start!

> I got attacked by an Indian buffet and 2 cookies during a business
> conference yesterday.

Lol! Nice image : )

> Today we're having the TG Potluck in the office.
> Everyone waits to see what "the chef" will bring.
>
> This time it's vegetable-cornbread dressing (from the ideas discussed on
> A.S.D.) and roasted-garlic mashed cauliflower.

The dressing sounds good. The cauli will be a hit, I'm sure - I haven't met
anyone who doesn't like it!

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sherry

"Night Spirit" > wrote in news:b0Aef.716$wf.455
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> My fast food demon is Big Macs

I love those. I order them without the middle bun to make it more carb
friendly. Yeah, I know you can take the middle bun off yourself, but
then you lose all the dressing that they put on the middle bun!

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sherry

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in
:

<snip>
> Thanks for the info. I'm counting daily steps (6000 average) and
> hitting the treadmill (2, 20 min miles) at least 3X/week.
> I got attacked by an Indian buffet and 2 cookies during a business
> conference yesterday. Today we're having the TG Potluck in the
> office. Everyone waits to see what "the chef" will bring.
>
> This time it's vegetable-cornbread dressing (from the ideas
> discussed on A.S.D.) and roasted-garlic mashed cauliflower.
> If it's successful I'll write up the recipe for the dressing and
> post it.
>
> The cauliflower recipe is available at:
> http://www.bigoven.com/recipe159985

The cauliflower sounds good - but I'd stay away from the cornbread
since it can be high in sugar plus it has plain white flour. Looking
at some recipes, a serving is about 30 grams of carbs. Unless you can
find a low-carb version of cornbread, of course. (Love the stuff and
crave good cornbread dripping with butter and honey.......)

Taking another look at the cauliflower recipe - I see there's a smidgen
of potato flakes in it. That sounds even tastier yet!

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Sherry wrote:
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
> :
>
> <snip>
>> Thanks for the info. I'm counting daily steps (6000
>> average) and hitting the treadmill (2, 20 min miles) at
>> least 3X/week. I got attacked by an Indian buffet and 2
>> cookies during a business conference yesterday. Today
>> we're having the TG Potluck in the office. Everyone
>> waits to see what "the chef" will bring.
>>
>> This time it's vegetable-cornbread dressing (from the
>> ideas discussed on A.S.D.) and roasted-garlic mashed
>> cauliflower. If it's successful I'll write up the recipe
>> for the dressing and post it.
>>
>> The cauliflower recipe is available at:
>> http://www.bigoven.com/recipe159985

> The cauliflower sounds good - but I'd stay away from the
> cornbread since it can be high in sugar plus it has plain
> white flour. Looking at some recipes, a serving is about
> 30 grams of carbs. Unless you can find a low-carb
> version of cornbread, of course. (Love the stuff and
> crave good cornbread dripping with butter and
> honey.......)
>
> Taking another look at the cauliflower recipe - I see
> there's a smidgen of potato flakes in it. That sounds
> even tastier yet!
>
> Sherry

Keep in mind that this was a dish for a group of office folks. While it was
lower in carbs than traditional dressing it wasn't intended for diabetic
diners. The folks cleared out both the dressing and the cauliflower.

I held out fairly well with mostly "good" choices until later in the
afternoon. a medium brownie w/ no frosting) kept calling out softly, "I'm
here! Come eat me!". So, extra time on the treadmill this evening and
lower-than-average diet tomorrow.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Vicki Beausoleil

Sherry wrote:

> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
> :
>
> <snip>
> > Thanks for the info. I'm counting daily steps (6000 average) and
> > hitting the treadmill (2, 20 min miles) at least 3X/week.
> > I got attacked by an Indian buffet and 2 cookies during a business
> > conference yesterday. Today we're having the TG Potluck in the
> > office. Everyone waits to see what "the chef" will bring.
> >
> > This time it's vegetable-cornbread dressing (from the ideas
> > discussed on A.S.D.) and roasted-garlic mashed cauliflower.
> > If it's successful I'll write up the recipe for the dressing and
> > post it.
> >
> > The cauliflower recipe is available at:
> > http://www.bigoven.com/recipe159985

> The cauliflower sounds good - but I'd stay away from the cornbread
> since it can be high in sugar plus it has plain white flour. Looking
> at some recipes, a serving is about 30 grams of carbs. Unless you can
> find a low-carb version of cornbread, of course. (Love the stuff and
> crave good cornbread dripping with butter and honey.......)
>
> Taking another look at the cauliflower recipe - I see there's a smidgen
> of potato flakes in it. That sounds even tastier yet!
>
> Sherry

Real southern cornbread doesn't have sugar or flour.

2 cups cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 beaten eggs
2 cups buttermilk (no substitutions)
2 tablespoons melted bacon drippings, veg. oil or melted butter

Heat oven to 450. Grease a well-seasoned 9 inch cast iron skillet with 2
tablespoons oil or bacon drippings. Leave oil in bottom of pan. Place
pan in oven to heat. Combine ingredients using the muffin method and mix
well. Pour into hot skillet. Batter will sizzle. Bake at 450 for 35
minutes or until golden brown. For a crispier bottom crust, sprinkle a
little cornmeal into pan before adding batter. Serves 6 to 8

Muffin method: Combine dry ingredients, mix. Combine wet ingredients,
mix. Add wet to dry and mix.

8 servings with 30 grams carbs per serving. Cornbread has enough
character that 'cutting' it with low-carb veggies is a great way to go
for stuffing. Even saturated with liquid, it holds its own.

---

Using the potato flakes in the cauliflower gives it a more potato-y
mouth feel. Low carbers achieve the same result by adding full fat cream
cheese, about 4 oz. per head of cauliflower.

Vicki

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
> Sherry wrote:
>>
>> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> <snip>
>>> Thanks for the info. I'm counting daily steps (6000
>>> average) and hitting the treadmill (2, 20 min miles) at
>>> least 3X/week. I got attacked by an Indian buffet and 2
>>> cookies during a business conference yesterday. Today
>>> we're having the TG Potluck in the office. Everyone
>>> waits to see what "the chef" will bring.
>>>
>>> This time it's vegetable-cornbread dressing (from the
>>> ideas discussed on A.S.D.) and roasted-garlic mashed
>>> cauliflower. If it's successful I'll write up the
>>> recipe for the dressing and post it.
>>>
>>> The cauliflower recipe is available at:
>>> http://www.bigoven.com/recipe159985

>> The cauliflower sounds good - but I'd stay away from the
>> cornbread since it can be high in sugar plus it has
>> plain white flour. Looking at some recipes, a serving
>> is about 30 grams of carbs. Unless you can find a low-
>> carb version of cornbread, of course. (Love the stuff
>> and crave good cornbread dripping with butter and
>> honey.......)
>>
>> Taking another look at the cauliflower recipe - I see
>> there's a smidgen of potato flakes in it. That sounds
>> even tastier yet!
>>
>> Sherry

> Real southern cornbread doesn't have sugar or flour.
>
> 2 cups cornmeal
> 2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 2 beaten eggs
> 2 cups buttermilk (no substitutions)
> 2 tablespoons melted bacon drippings, veg. oil or melted
> butter
>
> Heat oven to 450. Grease a well-seasoned 9 inch cast iron
> skillet with 2 tablespoons oil or bacon drippings. Leave
> oil in bottom of pan. Place pan in oven to heat. Combine
> ingredients using the muffin method and mix well. Pour
> into hot skillet. Batter will sizzle. Bake at 450 for 35
> minutes or until golden brown. For a crispier bottom
> crust, sprinkle a little cornmeal into pan before adding
> batter. Serves 6 to 8
>
> Muffin method: Combine dry ingredients, mix. Combine wet
> ingredients, mix. Add wet to dry and mix.
>
> 8 servings with 30 grams carbs per serving. Cornbread has
> enough character that 'cutting' it with low-carb veggies
> is a great way to go for stuffing. Even saturated with
> liquid, it holds its own.
>
> ---
>
> Using the potato flakes in the cauliflower gives it a
> more potato-y mouth feel. Low carbers achieve the same
> result by adding full fat cream cheese, about 4 oz. per
> head of cauliflower.
>
> Vicki

That's a great idea.
I'll give it a try.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> I held out fairly well with mostly "good" choices until later in the
> afternoon. a medium brownie w/ no frosting) kept calling out softly, "I'm
> here! Come eat me!". So, extra time on the treadmill this evening and
> lower-than-average diet tomorrow.

Pete, are you testing after these food items blandish you with sweet
nothings? I find high bg readings are a sure-fire way of enabling me to turn
the date down... especially once you've read this:
http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u...gartargets.htm

I still listen to some food items, but generally only if the date involves a
walk immediately afterwards!

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Nicky wrote:
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
> message ...
>> I held out fairly well with mostly "good" choices until
>> later in the afternoon. a medium brownie w/ no frosting)
>> kept calling out softly, "I'm here! Come eat me!". So,
>> extra time on the treadmill this evening and lower-than-
>> average diet tomorrow.

> Pete, are you testing after these food items blandish you
> with sweet nothings? I find high bg readings are a sure-
> fire way of enabling me to turn the date down...
> especially once you've read this:

http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u...gartargets.htm

> I still listen to some food items, but generally only if
> the date involves a walk immediately afterwards!
>
> Nicky.

I wasn't too high that evening. I'll try testing 1 or 2 hrs. PP and see what
they do.
Too bad there isn't "protection" for some of those kind of dates.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sherry

Vicki Beausoleil > wrote in
:

<snip>
> Real southern cornbread doesn't have sugar or flour.

<snip>
> 8 servings with 30 grams carbs per serving. Cornbread has enough
> character that 'cutting' it with low-carb veggies is a great way to
> go for stuffing. Even saturated with liquid, it holds its own.
>
> ---
>
> Using the potato flakes in the cauliflower gives it a more potato-y
> mouth feel. Low carbers achieve the same result by adding full fat
> cream cheese, about 4 oz. per head of cauliflower.
>
> Vicki

Sounds yummy, but at 30 grams of carbs per serving, that leaves 15
grams for that meal..... Wonder how much fiber is in it? Would it
make a difference depending on how fine the cornmeal is ground?
Cornmeal doesn't have much fiber according to the label. Of course, I
could add ground flax or some other high fiber grain (wondering how
much that would alter the taste...)

Hmmm. cream cheese in the cauliflower. Sounds interesting. I do love
cauliflower au gratin - cook it down quite a bit - slightly mushy but
not pureed - and then pour cheese sauce with a dash of dry mustard in
it over the cauliflower.

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> I wasn't too high that evening. I'll try testing 1 or 2 hrs. PP and see
> what
> they do.
> Too bad there isn't "protection" for some of those kind of dates.

Hmm - if I have diet police along, I've been known to eat things just to
spite "them" anyway. Sigh. Headology's the hardest battle!

These days, I'll pick low-carb over low-calorie from time to time, to make
sure I have treats. I bake almond muffins or brownies and keep them in the
freezer, so that if a high-carb treat tries to proposition me, I can
truthfully say I'd rather stay home and wash my hair : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
None Given

"Sherry" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> Sounds yummy, but at 30 grams of carbs per serving, that leaves 15
> grams for that meal..... Wonder how much fiber is in it? Would it
> make a difference depending on how fine the cornmeal is ground?
> Cornmeal doesn't have much fiber according to the label. Of course, I
> could add ground flax or some other high fiber grain (wondering how
> much that would alter the taste...)

My bag of cornmeal says 3g carb per 1/4 cup of cornmeal.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
None Given

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message

> > My bag of cornmeal says 3g carb per 1/4 cup of cornmeal.

> Get a second opinion! Seriously, that seems way low. USDA data base says
> 26.8 g carb per 1/4 cup, of which 2.6 are fiber.

Sorry, that should have read 3g fiber per 1/4 cup of cornmeal

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes