Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

Default Turkey Stuffing

Due to my daughter's and mom's food allergies, I will have to come up with a
new recipe for stuffing. However, I will still modify it the way I've been
doing since diagnosis. I always add plenty of sautéed onion, celery,
sometimes carrot, and additional sage to the stuffing. The resulting mix
has more vegetables than bread in it, making it much lower in carbs. But by
chopping the veggies to the size of the bread cubes and adding the
additional seasoning, nobody seems to notice. I always get compliments on
my stuffing. And I actually like it better this way. Never cared much for
the all bread stuffing.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sherry

"Julie Bove" > wrote in

> Due to my daughter's and mom's food allergies, I will have to come
> up with a new recipe for stuffing. However, I will still modify it
> the way I've been doing since diagnosis. I always add plenty of
> sautéed onion, celery, sometimes carrot, and additional sage to the
> stuffing. The resulting mix has more vegetables than bread in it,
> making it much lower in carbs. But by chopping the veggies to the
> size of the bread cubes and adding the additional seasoning, nobody
> seems to notice. I always get compliments on my stuffing. And I
> actually like it better this way. Never cared much for the all
> bread stuffing.

When I make stuffing, I use my low-carb high fiber bread (Healthy Way
is the brand). There's nothing that says stuffing needs to be made
with icky nutrition-less white bread!

Lots of veggies is good. Toss in a few mushrooms and some giblets and
yum yum yum.

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Sherry" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> When I make stuffing, I use my low-carb high fiber bread (Healthy Way
> is the brand). There's nothing that says stuffing needs to be made
> with icky nutrition-less white bread!

I can't do low carb bread because of the soy. And due to my daughter's and
my mom's food allergies, any bread with wheat in it is out.

> Lots of veggies is good. Toss in a few mushrooms and some giblets and
> yum yum yum.

That wouldn't go over well in our family. My brother won't eat anything
with mushrooms in it. And I can't stand giblets. But I do love the
veggies!

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sharp

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 17:37:53 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Sherry" > wrote in message
.97.142...
>> When I make stuffing, I use my low-carb high fiber bread (Healthy Way
>> is the brand). There's nothing that says stuffing needs to be made
>> with icky nutrition-less white bread!

>I can't do low carb bread because of the soy. And due to my daughter's and
>my mom's food allergies, any bread with wheat in it is out.
>>
>> Lots of veggies is good. Toss in a few mushrooms and some giblets and
>> yum yum yum.

>That wouldn't go over well in our family. My brother won't eat anything
>with mushrooms in it. And I can't stand giblets. But I do love the
>veggies!

How would cornbread dressing rate for carbs? Would it beat the allergy
problems? Cornbread dressing is a true Southern staple.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Sharp" > wrote in message

> How would cornbread dressing rate for carbs? Would it beat the allergy
> problems? Cornbread dressing is a true Southern staple.

Cornbread is higher in carbs than regular bread. A serving for a diabetic
of cornbread is a 1" square. That's why I rarely ever eat it. As for the
allergies, I'd have to make a special cornbread that is free of gluten, eggs
and dairy. The regular stuff wouldn't work.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sharp

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 01:17:18 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Sharp" > wrote in message
.. .

>> How would cornbread dressing rate for carbs? Would it beat the allergy
>> problems? Cornbread dressing is a true Southern staple.

>Cornbread is higher in carbs than regular bread. A serving for a diabetic
>of cornbread is a 1" square. That's why I rarely ever eat it. As for the
>allergies, I'd have to make a special cornbread that is free of gluten, eggs
>and dairy. The regular stuff wouldn't work.

Jus can't win, can we!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sherry

Sharp > wrote in
:

<snip>
> How would cornbread dressing rate for carbs? Would it beat the
> allergy problems? Cornbread dressing is a true Southern staple.

Cornbread generally has a lot of sugar in it. At one restaurant we went
to awhile back, they use cornbread for their croutons. Yum, yum, yum!

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sherry

"Julie Bove" > wrote in

> "Sherry" > wrote in message
> . 97.142...
>> When I make stuffing, I use my low-carb high fiber bread (Healthy
>> Way is the brand). There's nothing that says stuffing needs to be
>> made with icky nutrition-less white bread!

> I can't do low carb bread because of the soy. And due to my
> daughter's and my mom's food allergies, any bread with wheat in it
> is out.

This bread is great because it doesn't have soy in it, although they do
have a couple of varieties in their "organic grain" series that are
soy. http://www.olafsons.com/hw.html

All the varieties do have organic whole sprouted wheat so if wheat's
out then so would all of their breads.

IMHO, they make the absolute best lower carb bread - 10 to 16 grams of
carbs per slice, depending on variety and 4-6 grams of fiber and it's
"crunchy". I love bread with some "feel" to it - can't stand the mushy
stuff <g>

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Sherry" > wrote in message
7.142...
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
>

> > "Sherry" > wrote in message
> > . 97.142...
> >> When I make stuffing, I use my low-carb high fiber bread (Healthy
> >> Way is the brand). There's nothing that says stuffing needs to be
> >> made with icky nutrition-less white bread!

> > I can't do low carb bread because of the soy. And due to my
> > daughter's and my mom's food allergies, any bread with wheat in it
> > is out.

> This bread is great because it doesn't have soy in it, although they do
> have a couple of varieties in their "organic grain" series that are
> soy. http://www.olafsons.com/hw.html
>
> All the varieties do have organic whole sprouted wheat so if wheat's
> out then so would all of their breads.
>
> IMHO, they make the absolute best lower carb bread - 10 to 16 grams of
> carbs per slice, depending on variety and 4-6 grams of fiber and it's
> "crunchy". I love bread with some "feel" to it - can't stand the mushy
> stuff <g>

I bought that kind before, but I wouldn't call it low carb! Used to work
for me, but now it spikes me. I'm not much of a bread lover. I grew up on
the mushy white stuff, so that's what I prefer if I have a sandwich. But
the crunchy kind is good for toast.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sherry

"Julie Bove" > wrote in

> "Sherry" > wrote in message
> 7.142...
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in

<snip>

>> IMHO, they make the absolute best lower carb bread - 10 to 16 grams
>> of carbs per slice, depending on variety and 4-6 grams of fiber and
>> it's "crunchy". I love bread with some "feel" to it - can't stand
>> the mushy stuff <g>

> I bought that kind before, but I wouldn't call it low carb! Used to
> work for me, but now it spikes me. I'm not much of a bread lover.
> I grew up on the mushy white stuff, so that's what I prefer if I
> have a sandwich. But the crunchy kind is good for toast.

Note, I said *lower* carb. I was used to getting bread that's 22-23
grams of carbs per slice with zilch fiber in it so 10-16 grams is
heaven, esp since it's not loaded with soy nor ultra-thin or tiny
slices.

Bummer that the higher fiber bread spikes you.

Sherry

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Howard S Shubs

In article >,
Sharp > wrote:

> Jus can't win, can we!

No one gets out alive. :-.

Keep asking yourself if ingredient "X" is a carb, and what kind, before
you add it.

--
A few minutes ago I attempted to give a flying fsck, but the best I
could do was to watch it skitter across the floor. (Anthony de Boer)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Sherry" > wrote in message
. 97.142...

> Note, I said *lower* carb. I was used to getting bread that's 22-23
> grams of carbs per slice with zilch fiber in it so 10-16 grams is
> heaven, esp since it's not loaded with soy nor ultra-thin or tiny
> slices.
>
> Bummer that the higher fiber bread spikes you.

The bread that I was buying prior had 15 g or less of carbs per slice and
some fiber, although I can't remember how much. I usuallly bought Kid's
White or Rye. Am currently buying Sourdough, but rarely ever get to eat
any. No biggie. Never was much of a bread lover unless it was freshly
baked.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Julie Bove wrote:
> Due to my daughter's and mom's food allergies, I will have to come up with a
> new recipe for stuffing. However, I will still modify it the way I've been
> doing since diagnosis. I always add plenty of sautéed onion, celery,
> sometimes carrot, and additional sage to the stuffing. The resulting mix
> has more vegetables than bread in it, making it much lower in carbs. Butby
> chopping the veggies to the size of the bread cubes and adding the
> additional seasoning, nobody seems to notice. I always get compliments on
> my stuffing. And I actually like it better this way. Never cared much for
> the all bread stuffing.
>
> --
> See my webpage:
> http://mysite.verizon.net/juliebove/index.htm

Julie;
I adopted your idea for a dressing I'm serving today at an office TG
potluck.
I used cornbread cubes and added celery, onion, shredded carrot,
shredded broccoli, and saute'd mushrooms. I had some nice vegetable
stock in the freezer from a previous project so that became the liquid
for this dish. To help it bind I added a bit of egg white.

As well as sage, I added majoram and a pinch of mace. After baking I've
topped it with some french-fried onion bits.

We'll see how the folks react to it. I'm also slipping my roasted
cauliflower dish onto part of the table. I'm curious how many folks
will differentiate it from mashed potatoes.

Thanks for the idea. I'll let you know how it works.

Pete Romfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Julie Bove wrote:
> Due to my daughter's and mom's food allergies, I will have to come up with a
> new recipe for stuffing. However, I will still modify it the way I've been
> doing since diagnosis. I always add plenty of sautéed onion, celery,
> sometimes carrot, and additional sage to the stuffing. The resulting mix
> has more vegetables than bread in it, making it much lower in carbs. Butby
> chopping the veggies to the size of the bread cubes and adding the
> additional seasoning, nobody seems to notice. I always get compliments on
> my stuffing. And I actually like it better this way. Never cared much for
> the all bread stuffing.
>
> --
> See my webpage:
> http://mysite.verizon.net/juliebove/index.htm

Julie;
I adopted your idea for a dressing I'm serving today at an office TG
potluck.
I used cornbread cubes and added celery, onion, shredded carrot,
shredded broccoli, and saute'd mushrooms. I had some nice vegetable
stock in the freezer from a previous project so that became the liquid
for this dish. To help it bind I added a bit of egg white.

As well as sage, I added majoram and a pinch of mace. After baking I've
topped it with some french-fried onion bits.

We'll see how the folks react to it. I'm also slipping my roasted
cauliflower dish onto part of the table. I'm curious how many folks
will differentiate it from mashed potatoes.

Thanks for the idea. I'll let you know how it works.

Pete Romfh

About Turkey Stuffing Kent General Cooking 14 24-11-2006 06:43 AM
Out of Turkey Stuffing dancertm General Cooking 27 07-10-2006 08:27 PM
Oyster stuffing for Turkey Carnivore269 General Cooking 6 11-11-2003 07:18 AM
Turkey Stuffing CM General Cooking 18 08-11-2003 10:48 PM
Turkey Stuffing CM Historic 0 06-11-2003 09:34 PM