Old 05-09-2005, 01:39 AM
Trinity

Default Any baklava recipe that is carb friendly?

One thing that I miss and I admit cheat on every now and then. One bite
at a time mind you, is baklava. I can only have the kind without eggs.

Anyone out there know????

Trinity
--

remove nospam
dx Oct 2003, Type 2,

Old 05-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Priscilla Ballou

Trinity wrote:

One thing that I miss and I admit cheat on every now and then. One bite
at a time mind you, is baklava. I can only have the kind without eggs.

Anyone out there know????

I wish I could imagine a baklava that wouldn't spike, but I'm not up to
the task. ;-) I think that portion control is our friend in this area.

Priscilla, very fond of Greek pastry
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong
Old 05-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Sherry

Trinity wrote in
:

One thing that I miss and I admit cheat on every now and then. One
bite at a time mind you, is baklava. I can only have the kind
without eggs.

Anyone out there know????

Trinity

Umm... baklava is phyllo filled with honey, sugar and nuts. No eggs
(unless they're in the phyllo) Eliminate the phyllo, sugar and honey and
you'll have a carb friendly baklava.

Sherry
Old 05-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Sherry

Priscilla Ballou wrote in
:

snip

I wish I could imagine a baklava that wouldn't spike, but I'm not up
to the task. ;-) I think that portion control is our friend in
this area.

Priscilla, very fond of Greek pastry

Not even sure portion control would help me there! My bgs are *soooo*
sensitive to honey! BD (before diabetes), I used to just scoop a
spoonful of honey out of the honey jar and eat it... or would munch on
the honeycomb, savoring the marvelous flavor of honey. I'd try all
sorts of different honeys beyond the basic clover - they all have
different and wonderful flavors.

The last time I tried a tsp of honey on my low-carb toast, with lots of
butter too, my bgs just absolutely soared!

Sherry

Old 05-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article 42,
Sherry wrote:

Trinity wrote in
:

One thing that I miss and I admit cheat on every now and then. One
bite at a time mind you, is baklava. I can only have the kind
without eggs.

Anyone out there know????

Trinity

Umm... baklava is phyllo filled with honey, sugar and nuts. No eggs
(unless they're in the phyllo) Eliminate the phyllo, sugar and honey and
you'll have a carb friendly baklava.

Heh. Pass the nuts. ;-)

Priscilla, who still believes in portion control

Old 05-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Peanutjake

Trinity wrote in message
One thing that I miss and I admit cheat on every now and then. One bite
at a time mind you, is baklava. I can only have the kind without eggs.

Anyone out there know????

Trinity

Go to the bakery with your camera.

Take a picture of the baklava.

Develop the picture.

Put the picture under your pillow.

Go to sleep.

You will have a zero carb sweet dream.

PJ

Old 06-09-2005, 12:28 AM
Alan S

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 12:10:31 -0400, Priscilla Ballou
wrote:

One thing that I miss and I admit cheat on every now and then. One bite
at a time mind you, is baklava. I can only have the kind without eggs.

Anyone out there know????

I wish I could imagine a baklava that wouldn't spike, but I'm not up to
the task. ;-) I think that portion control is our friend in this area.

Priscilla, very fond of Greek pastry

Portion control.

Swmbo brought home two small ones from a friend last week.
Each was about the size of a test strip bottle - a cylinder
5cm (2") long and about 2cm (3/4") diameter.

I cut them into four portions each, as a tiny after-dinner
treat with coffee. I went mad one night and had two
quarters:-)

There is no confection I know that has quite the same taste.

Cheers Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:29 AM
Alan S

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:09:32 -0400, "Peanutjake"
wrote:

Trinity wrote in message
. ..
One thing that I miss and I admit cheat on every now and then. One bite
at a time mind you, is baklava. I can only have the kind without eggs.

Anyone out there know????

Trinity

Go to the bakery with your camera.

Take a picture of the baklava.

Develop the picture.

Put the picture under your pillow.

Go to sleep.

You will have a zero carb sweet dream.

PJ

Or a nightmare...
Cheers Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Trinity

Priscilla Ballou wrote:
In article ,
Trinity wrote:

One thing that I miss and I admit cheat on every now and then. One bite
at a time mind you, is baklava. I can only have the kind without eggs.

Anyone out there know????

I wish I could imagine a baklava that wouldn't spike, but I'm not up to
the task. ;-) I think that portion control is our friend in this area.

Priscilla, very fond of Greek pastry

There is one place that I like, but they haven't had any lately. It's
not drowning in syrup. The one I bought the other day was drowning and
even a couple of bites and a 15 minute stairs walking didn't drop it
down too fast. So I know not to buy that particular one.

We will even just buy the phyllo dough and layer it with butter and bake
it. Portion contol is key because it's just so damn good.

Trinity

Old 06-09-2005, 01:13 AM
Trinity

Sherry wrote:
Trinity wrote in
:

One thing that I miss and I admit cheat on every now and then. One
bite at a time mind you, is baklava. I can only have the kind
without eggs.

Anyone out there know????

Trinity

Umm... baklava is phyllo filled with honey, sugar and nuts. No eggs
(unless they're in the phyllo) Eliminate the phyllo, sugar and honey and
you'll have a carb friendly baklava.

Sherry

Aw nuts!

:P

Trinity

Old 06-09-2005, 01:18 AM
Trinity

Peanutjake wrote:
Trinity wrote in message

One thing that I miss and I admit cheat on every now and then. One bite
at a time mind you, is baklava. I can only have the kind without eggs.

Anyone out there know????

Trinity

Go to the bakery with your camera.

Take a picture of the baklava.

Develop the picture.

Put the picture under your pillow.

Go to sleep.

You will have a zero carb sweet dream.

PJ

I definitely would be getting indigestion from eating the picture.

Trinity

Old 06-09-2005, 01:19 AM
Trinity

wrote:

One thing that I miss and I admit cheat on every now and then. One bite
at a time mind you, is baklava. I can only have the kind without eggs.

Anyone out there know????

I wish I could imagine a baklava that wouldn't spike, but I'm not up to
the task. ;-) I think that portion control is our friend in this area.

Priscilla, very fond of Greek pastry

Portion control.

Swmbo brought home two small ones from a friend last week.
Each was about the size of a test strip bottle - a cylinder
5cm (2") long and about 2cm (3/4") diameter.

I cut them into four portions each, as a tiny after-dinner
treat with coffee. I went mad one night and had two
quarters:-)

There is no confection I know that has quite the same taste.

Cheers Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.

That is so true. This last piece was too sweet and so I let my dogs have
the rest of it. Of course they just inhale it. I even asked them if they
even tasted on their tongues!!!

Trinity

Old 06-09-2005, 01:31 AM
Priscilla Ballou

Trinity wrote:
Priscilla Ballou wrote:
In article ,
Trinity wrote:
One thing that I miss and I admit cheat on every now and then. One bite
at a time mind you, is baklava. I can only have the kind without eggs.
Anyone out there know????

I wish I could imagine a baklava that wouldn't spike, but I'm not up to
the task. ;-) I think that portion control is our friend in this area.
Priscilla, very fond of Greek pastry

There is one place that I like, but they haven't had any lately. It's
not drowning in syrup. The one I bought the other day was drowning and
even a couple of bites and a 15 minute stairs walking didn't drop it
down too fast. So I know not to buy that particular one.
We will even just buy the phyllo dough and layer it with butter and bake
it. Portion contol is key because it's just so damn good.

Amen, sister!

A few years ago, pre-diagnosis, I stopped in at the annual bakesale at
the school where our elections are held. Some kid's grandmother had
made a pan of homemade baklava. I bought the entire thing and took it
to work. I was beloved of my coworkers that day! *sigh* I can still
remember how good it tasted. Oh, well....

Priscilla
Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 AM
Priscilla Ballou

Trinity wrote:

Sherry wrote:
Priscilla Ballou wrote in
:

snip

I wish I could imagine a baklava that wouldn't spike, but I'm not up
to the task. ;-) I think that portion control is our friend in
this area.

Priscilla, very fond of Greek pastry

Not even sure portion control would help me there! My bgs are *soooo*
sensitive to honey! BD (before diabetes), I used to just scoop a
spoonful of honey out of the honey jar and eat it... or would munch on
the honeycomb, savoring the marvelous flavor of honey. I'd try all
sorts of different honeys beyond the basic clover - they all have
different and wonderful flavors.

The last time I tried a tsp of honey on my low-carb toast, with lots of
butter too, my bgs just absolutely soared!

Sherry

Especially they come in the triangle shapes and I always have to get it
to go, and just do a bite or two. But the dang thing is really slow to
burn off even with exercising it off. I try to time it i.e. before
mowing the lawn or some other strenuous activity.

I wonder if it's the honey that is slow......

IIRC, I once investigated recipes, and the stuff it's soaked in isn't
honey. It's a sugar syrup.

Priscilla
Old 06-09-2005, 01:44 AM
Trinity

Priscilla Ballou wrote:
In article ,
Trinity wrote:

Sherry wrote:

Priscilla Ballou wrote in
:

snip

[...]

Well maybe one day someone will come up with an artificial sweetened
version that's acceptable to us. Eh?

Trinity