Old 06-09-2005, 01:45 AM
Trinity

Priscilla Ballou wrote:
In article ,
Trinity wrote:

Priscilla Ballou wrote:

In article ,
Trinity wrote:

One thing that I miss and I admit cheat on every now and then. One bite
at a time mind you, is baklava. I can only have the kind without eggs.
Anyone out there know????

I wish I could imagine a baklava that wouldn't spike, but I'm not up to
the task. ;-) I think that portion control is our friend in this area.
Priscilla, very fond of Greek pastry

There is one place that I like, but they haven't had any lately. It's
not drowning in syrup. The one I bought the other day was drowning and
even a couple of bites and a 15 minute stairs walking didn't drop it
down too fast. So I know not to buy that particular one.
We will even just buy the phyllo dough and layer it with butter and bake
it. Portion contol is key because it's just so damn good.

Amen, sister!

A few years ago, pre-diagnosis, I stopped in at the annual bakesale at
the school where our elections are held. Some kid's grandmother had
made a pan of homemade baklava. I bought the entire thing and took it
to work. I was beloved of my coworkers that day! *sigh* I can still
remember how good it tasted. Oh, well....

Priscilla

The sucky part is I only started getting into baklava about a year
before dx. But we may not be able to eat them like we used to, but a
bite at a time will do me just fine....
Trinity

--

remove nospam
dx Oct 2003, Type 2,

Old 06-09-2005, 04:41 AM
Sherry

Priscilla Ballou wrote in
:

snip

IIRC, I once investigated recipes, and the stuff it's soaked in
isn't honey. It's a sugar syrup.

Priscilla

I looked at several recipes before I posted. Most had honey *and*
sugar.

From the Global Gourmet:

1 lb. sweet butter
1 lb. filo pastry
1-2 lbs. blanched almonds, chopped
1 lb. shelled walnuts
2/3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
3 dozen whole cloves

Ingredients for the Syrup
2 cups honey
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

and another recipe:
1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
1 pound chopped nuts
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey

Here's one without honey

1 lb. Phyllo dough.
4 to 5 cups walnuts, chopped coarsely.
cup sugar.
tsp. ground cloves.
1 tsp. cinnamon.
lb. sweet butter.
The Syrup:
2 cups of water.
3 cups sugar.
3 tsp. lemon juice.
1 tsp. vanilla

My blood sugar's going up just *reading* the ingredients!

Sherry

Old 06-09-2005, 05:03 AM
Alice Faber

In article 42,
Sherry wrote:

Priscilla Ballou wrote in
:

snip

IIRC, I once investigated recipes, and the stuff it's soaked in
isn't honey. It's a sugar syrup.

Priscilla

I looked at several recipes before I posted. Most had honey *and*
sugar.

I was told at once that there are national differences in the middle
east in the precise ingredients in baclava (honey vs sugar, kind of
nuts, shape you cut the baclava in, etc.). So you could both be right.

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."
Old 06-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Nicky

"Sherry" wrote in message
. 97.142...
From the Global Gourmet:

1 lb. sweet butter
1 lb. filo pastry
1-2 lbs. blanched almonds, chopped
1 lb. shelled walnuts
2/3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
3 dozen whole cloves

Well, that bit doesn't look impossible, especially with Splenda. I wonder
what it would taste like with a Da Vinci poured over?

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Old 06-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Trinity

Nicky wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message
. 97.142...

From the Global Gourmet:

1 lb. sweet butter
1 lb. filo pastry
1-2 lbs. blanched almonds, chopped
1 lb. shelled walnuts
2/3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
3 dozen whole cloves

Well, that bit doesn't look impossible, especially with Splenda. I wonder
what it would taste like with a Da Vinci poured over?

Nicky.

Speaking of splenda. I could just sprinkle some on the just phyllo dough
butter snack. I do admit though, the pine nuts really add a kick to it,
so maybe with some trial and error, we could actually come up with a
carb friendly version.

Trinity

Old 08-09-2005, 03:29 PM
jimbo

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:36:01 -0400, Trinity
wrote:

Nicky wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message
. 97.142...

From the Global Gourmet:

1 lb. sweet butter
1 lb. filo pastry
1-2 lbs. blanched almonds, chopped
1 lb. shelled walnuts
2/3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
3 dozen whole cloves

Well, that bit doesn't look impossible, especially with Splenda. I wonder
what it would taste like with a Da Vinci poured over?

Nicky.

Speaking of splenda. I could just sprinkle some on the just phyllo dough
butter snack. I do admit though, the pine nuts really add a kick to it,
so maybe with some trial and error, we could actually come up with a
carb friendly version.

Trinity

Da Vinci does make just a suger-free simple suger syrup, that might
work out well for a base.

Jelly
T2 since1999
A1C 5.7
Meds to numerous to name
Old 08-09-2005, 04:10 PM
ted rosenberg

couple of comments
1) Walnuts or pistachio are more traditional
2) In some areas,no honey was ever used. My Romanian grandmother used
a solution of super saturated sugar water (sometimes with rose water or
orange water for extra flavor) she made the rolled type, not the sheet
type, so it was simple to dip them and let them dry on a rack.

It gave them a crystal coat, not a gooey one, They lasted longer, and
could be stored in dry sealed tins. My sister still makes them this way

Simply substituting Splenda would do. However not much you can do
about the Phylo

jimbo wrote:
On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:36:01 -0400, Trinity
wrote:

Nicky wrote:

"Sherry" wrote in message
96.97.142...

From the Global Gourmet:

[...]

"...in addition to being foreign territory the past is, as history, a
hall of mirrors that reflect the needs of souls observing from the present"
Glen Cook
Old 08-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Sherry

jimbo wrote in
:

snip

Da Vinci does make just a suger-free simple suger syrup, that might
work out well for a base.

Jelly
T2 since1999
A1C 5.7
Meds to numerous to name

Shame no "honey flavor", but Almond flavor might work. Would it give
the appropriate gooey-ness???

Sherry
Old 08-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Sherry

ted rosenberg wrote in
eenews.net:

snip

Simply substituting Splenda would do. However not much you can
do
about the Phylo

Maybe just less layers???

Sherry
Old 09-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Larry Hazel

Sherry wrote:
Priscilla Ballou wrote in
:

snip

I wish I could imagine a baklava that wouldn't spike, but I'm not up
to the task. ;-) I think that portion control is our friend in
this area.

Priscilla, very fond of Greek pastry

Not even sure portion control would help me there! My bgs are *soooo*
sensitive to honey! BD (before diabetes), I used to just scoop a
spoonful of honey out of the honey jar and eat it... or would munch on
the honeycomb, savoring the marvelous flavor of honey. I'd try all
sorts of different honeys beyond the basic clover - they all have
different and wonderful flavors.

The last time I tried a tsp of honey on my low-carb toast, with lots of
butter too, my bgs just absolutely soared!

Sherry

I just bought a bottle of Honey Tree's sugar free imitation honey.
Claims zero net carbs but has malitol, sorbitol, and "higher polyols" in
addition to acesulfame K. I'm not an expert on honey, but I sampled it
and it tastes like honey to me, looks like honey and is very thick.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Alan S

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:31:07 -0500, Larry Hazel
wrote:

I just bought a bottle of Honey Tree's sugar free imitation honey.
Claims zero net carbs but has malitol, sorbitol, and "higher polyols" in
addition to acesulfame K. I'm not an expert on honey, but I sampled it
and it tastes like honey to me, looks like honey and is very thick.

What was the effect on your BGs - and did it give you any GI
problems?

Cheers Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:43 AM
Larry Hazel

wrote:

I just bought a bottle of Honey Tree's sugar free imitation honey.
Claims zero net carbs but has malitol, sorbitol, and "higher polyols" in
addition to acesulfame K. I'm not an expert on honey, but I sampled it
and it tastes like honey to me, looks like honey and is very thick.

What was the effect on your BGs - and did it give you any GI
problems?

Cheers Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.

I just tasted a drop.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Sherry

Larry Hazel wrote in
:
snip
I just bought a bottle of Honey Tree's sugar free imitation honey.
Claims zero net carbs but has malitol, sorbitol, and "higher
polyols" in addition to acesulfame K. I'm not an expert on honey,
but I sampled it and it tastes like honey to me, looks like honey
and is very thick.

Wish they'd find some other sweetener than sugar alcohols. Certainly no
gas shortage when I consume something with them in it! Even the
erythrytol, that's supposed to not have the same effects, make me
"musical"

Sherry
Old 03-06-2006, 02:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Any baklava recipe that is carb friendly?

Hmmm this sounds like a problem I worked on. I cut the sugar in half and
the honey in half. Kids and family could not tell a diff. DO NOT USE
SPLENDA OR ANY SUAGR SUB When making baklava. I tired it once... hence
the term once. I also cut the number of layers in my phyllo dough on my
recipe from 26 to 20. 5 full sheets of athens brand dough is 37 gr.
carbs. Just do the math? I Figured out my recipe and it came out to
about just under 2 diabetic carbs per piece. and it was a decent large
piece. IF you want my recipe with complete measures just let me know. I
would be happy to post it.
good luck! It can be done.
Greek Momma

Old 03-06-2006, 02:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Phyllo has no eggs. it is water, salt and flour.
also... just a good hint I forgot.. when you make a sugar syrup use a
table spoon of honey to just flavor it up and a little orange peel boiled
in with cinnamon. Remove the peel and cinnamon sticks when you pour it
over the top. Cradle the pan and drain off the remaining syrup back in to
a jar and store in fridge until the next time you need it for pastry. IT
CAN WORK to make it low carb.. I am the mom of a diabetic baklava loving
type 1 teen. Moderation is also a key and using enough insulin prior to
eating it. But remember... Baklava is not a daily thing... it is for
special things.. Greeks don't eat it everyday! although we sometimes
wish! smile