Old 08-07-2005, 10:31 PM
WeeBit

Default food supplies

We are fixing to be hit by Hurricane Dennis they told us to get ready now.
We have to prepare as though we have no water and source to cook. I am a
Type II. I am lost guys at what food to get. I need help please. I am
new at this. I sure don't need to be stuck at home without be able to leave
and no phone and power and my numbers going up. I apologize for the cross
posting but this is important.

Old 08-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Susan

x-no-archive: yes

WeeBit wrote:
We are fixing to be hit by Hurricane Dennis they told us to get ready now.
We have to prepare as though we have no water and source to cook. I am a
Type II. I am lost guys at what food to get. I need help please. I am
new at this. I sure don't need to be stuck at home without be able to leave
and no phone and power and my numbers going up. I apologize for the cross
posting but this is important.

Nuts, jerky, cheeses (assuming you'll have a cooler with some ice for a
while) and more nuts.

Good luck.

Susan
Old 08-07-2005, 10:40 PM
None Given

"WeeBit" wrote in message
We are fixing to be hit by Hurricane Dennis they told us to get ready now.
We have to prepare as though we have no water and source to cook. I am a
Type II. I am lost guys at what food to get. I need help please. I am
new at this. I sure don't need to be stuck at home without be able to

leave
and no phone and power and my numbers going up. I apologize for the

cross
posting but this is important.

Canned veggies and meats, green beans, asparagus, spam, chicken, vienna
sausage, stew, bottled water, club soda, no sugar added fruits, etc. Maybe
fiber crackers or low carb bread, peanut butter, nuts. Whatever you like
that comes in a can or is shelf stable and that doesn't make you go too
high. If you are subject to hypos be sure you have extra glucose or candy,
or maybe small cans of juice.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Old 08-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Cheri

I would go for things like tuna, salmon, kippered snacks, and canned
meat that can be eaten from the can such as Spam, corned beef etc. All
of these mixed with a little mayo and spread on Wasa Crackers can get
you through anything for awhile, especially no water or electricity.
Make sure you have a manual can opener. I hope for the best for you.
Take care and be safe.

--
Cheri

Old 08-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Priscilla H. Ballou

"WeeBit" wrote:

We are fixing to be hit by Hurricane Dennis they told us to get ready now.
We have to prepare as though we have no water and source to cook. I am a
Type II. I am lost guys at what food to get. I need help please. I am
new at this. I sure don't need to be stuck at home without be able to leave
and no phone and power and my numbers going up. I apologize for the cross
posting but this is important.

Assuming I were anticipating having no power or water for a couple of
days, I'd lay in a supply of:

bottled water, seltzer, and diet soda
bottled iced tea (I'm a tea drinker)
powdered milk
genuine whole grain bread (not just brown white bread) -- one loaf in
the bread box and one loaf put in the freezer now.
cans of tuna, salmon, corned beef, deviled ham/chicken
little packets of mayo if I could find them, ditto mustard
celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, berries, peaches/apples
good dark green lettuce (start the powerless period with a big salad)
nuts
dark chocolate
peanut butter
jerky
more bottles of water
candles
batteries for radio
aspirin and other first aid kit items
pet food (heck, even if you don't have a pet, some needy neighbor might
and be really grateful to you) ;-)
more bottles of water
any prescription meds which will run out within a week

None of the food stuffs above actually needs to be refrigerated if it's
just for a couple of days. Finish any cans that are opened within an
hour or so.

Right now take a bunch of plastic containers, fill them with water and
put them in the freezer. They can keep things cold later. Do you have
a cold chest or chiller bag? This will be useful when the power's out
and you don't want to open the fridge often. Put the jar of mayo,
carton of milk/cream, and other stuff you want cold but want to access
frequently in the chiller bag with some of your pre-made ice chunks.
That'll allow you to not open your fridge, thus possibly preserving its
contents longer.

Fill the bathtub with cold water. Also any buckets you have. (This is
for toilet flushing.)

That's all that comes to mind right now.

Good luck!

Priscilla

Old 08-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Jennifer

Canned or pouched tuna and salmon (they make "kits" now that even
include small single serving packets of mayo, if you need that to eat
your tuna).
Canned chicken.
Wasa crackers.
Canned green beans.
Canned
Bottled water
Beef or turkey jerky
Nuts
Peanut butter
Low carb protein bars (good in a pinch)
V8 juice

And don't forget a manual can opener... especially if the one you have
is electric.
And try to refill your prescriptions early... have some extra on hand
(I'm in earthquake country and this is part of my "kit")

Best of luck!!

Jennifer

Old 08-07-2005, 10:56 PM
WeeBit

Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
: In article ,
: "WeeBit" wrote:
:
[...]

list they told us to have:

Bottled Water plus
Food

Store at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food. Select foods that
require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking, and little or no water. If
you must heat food, pack a can of sterno. Select food items that are compact
and lightweight. Include a selection of the following foods in your Disaster
Supplies Kit:
Ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits, and vegetables
Canned juices
Staples (salt, sugar, pepper, spices, etc.)
High energy foods
Vitamins
Food for infants
Comfort/stress foods

Old 08-07-2005, 11:02 PM
BessieBee

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 17:31:46 -0400, "WeeBit"
wrote:

We are fixing to be hit by Hurricane Dennis they told us to get ready now.
We have to prepare as though we have no water and source to cook. I am a
Type II. I am lost guys at what food to get. I need help please. I am
new at this. I sure don't need to be stuck at home without be able to leave
and no phone and power and my numbers going up. I apologize for the cross
posting but this is important.

It would appear that you're getting lots of food advice. Hopefully I
can help with some advice for other supplies. I lived in Florida for
almost 20 years and survived the wrath of Andrew in 1992.

Stock up on as much ice as you can manage. Fill your freezer,
coolers, whatever you can get your hands on. Ice becomes as precious
as solid gold in the days following a hurricane. If it's not too late
buy gallons of bottled water. You'll also end up with potable water
from melted ice.

Fill the gas tanks of all vehicles.

Stock up on toilet paper. Lots and lots of toilet paper. Get more
toilet paper. Learn how to flush a toilet using a bucket of water.

If you have good solid hiking shoes/boots put them someplace where
you'll be able to get them. Stuff several pairs of socks into the
shoes/boots so you'll have several clean and dry pairs. Flimsy summer
shoes and flip flops are NOT a good idea if you're in an area with
damage.

Make sure you have a battery powered radio with extra batteries.
Listen to the authorities.

Hold on tight! Sending positive thoughts your way. Let us know how
you fare. Where on Dennis' path are you?

BessieBee
"Life is hard. Itís even harder if youíre stupid." Ė Anonymous
Old 08-07-2005, 11:31 PM
WeeBit

: wrote:
:
[...]
: "Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid." - Anonymous

We are getting the 80mph winds here and up to 12 inches of rain maybe more.
On the GA FLA boarder

mayonnaise is out guys. It makes me spike. Tuna I will put on my list but
I am not sure about the potted meats etc. spam and such? I kind of thought
they were loaded with carbs because of the fillers in them? I haven't
found a cracker yet I can eat. I am stuck with water also. Crystal Light
so far works for me though. Thanks everyone for your help I am making a
list now. I just hope the store isn't depleted of this stuff. I
stuffed my freezer with everything i could that would hold water. I even
have the door lined with a row of platic cups with water in them. It was by
Gods grace i ended up with a cooler last week. My daughter left it behind
because she didint have room for it in the car. I don't own boots. I will
get my papers together too in the morning. Plus get the paper goods also.
You all are a big help. Thanks guys your swell.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Anon

A lot depends on where you live. If you live in a large city I wouldn't
worry about it much. Just get what you always eat. If you think you might
need to evacuate, you should get some of the nonperishable foods, mention in
other responses, to take with you.

When I went through hurricane Celia in Texas (1970), my electricity was off
for a week. The food in the refrigerator was only good for 2 days. The food
will last longer in a freezer if you don't open the door. After 4 days,
everybody had a block long barbeque on the front lawns with free food from
their freezers before it spoiled. Ice was the big thing, none to be had
except at the Navy base.

Anon

Old 08-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Cheri

Actually Spam, and corned beef are very low in carbs, check the labels.
Have you tried Wasa Crackers? They work well for me, but as we all know,
what works for one might not work for another. My daughter is in Alabama
and she just called saying they're supposed to get hit pretty good too.
Prayers to all of you.

--
Cheri

Old 09-07-2005, 05:37 AM
DLynch

"WeeBit" wrote in message
We are fixing to be hit by Hurricane Dennis they told us to get ready now.
We have to prepare as though we have no water and source to cook. I am a
Type II. I am lost guys at what food to get. I need help please. I am
new at this. I sure don't need to be stuck at home without be able to
leave
and no phone and power and my numbers going up. I apologize for the
cross
posting but this is important.

I feel for you WeeBit,
Been there , done that, or BTDT. I lived in SE Florida for over 25 years,
from 1969 to 1996. Just make sure you have enough water, if you lose power.
But take heart, the Red Cross will be there distributing water if you don't
have power for a while. I have relatives that went through the hurricanes in
Florida last year, and were without power for a week or more. Everyone
survived, so you will too. All of the suggestions for food are great, and
you will just snack here and there. The heat and humidity kind of take away
your appetite anyway. But as a warning, if the local authorities tell you
to evacuate, go right away. If you have no transportation, start calling
local Red Cross shelters and find a way. Hope everything turns out alright
for you.

Old 09-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Julie Bove

"WeeBit" wrote in message
We are fixing to be hit by Hurricane Dennis they told us to get ready now.
We have to prepare as though we have no water and source to cook. I am a
Type II. I am lost guys at what food to get. I need help please. I am
new at this. I sure don't need to be stuck at home without be able to

leave
and no phone and power and my numbers going up. I apologize for the

cross
posting but this is important.

Buy plenty of canned things. You can simply open the can and eat them, no
heating required. Sure, some things taste better heated, but when you've
got no choice, you've got no choice! Canned green beans are a good low carb
thing to keep onhand. For protein, look for shelf stable cheeses. Velveeta
is one such, but must be refrigerated after opening. So if you get that
kind, buy small ones. I was able to get some locally made shelf stable
cheese when I lived in NY that came in individually wrapped wedges. The
taste was no so great, but it was edible. You could also buy cans or
pouches of tuna, chicken or Vienna sausages. Just make sure to buy things
in small portions unless you are feeding a family. Canned soup and chili
are other options. Just eat them without heating. Peanut butter and
crackers are a good option if you can eat that many carbs. Now granted the
shelf stable peanut butter contains trans-fats that you wouldn't normally
want to eat, but it's okay in an emergency. You could also try beef jerky.
And make sure to have plenty of bottled water in both gallon size and
individual bottles.

We managed to survive that power outage during the heat wave when I lived in
NY. We are mainly peanut butter on bread or crackers, shelf stable cheese
and veggies straight from the can. I also had a few of those packages of
tuna with crackers. It wasn't fun. And do to the severe heat and lack of
AC, we were very tired and not very hungry. Mainly we drank a lot of water
(our water wasn't shut off, luckily) and tried to rest.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if you are unable to eat properly for 2-3
days. After all, this is an emergency situation.
--
See my webpage:

Old 09-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Julie Bove

"WeeBit" wrote in message
We are fixing to be hit by Hurricane Dennis they told us to get ready now.

snip

I realize it is probably too late to get any MRIs, unless perhaps you live
on a military base. But I heard these advertised on the radio and I looked
them up. They sounded like a good thing to keep onhand for such situations.

http://labriutemeals.com/

I have not tried these yet, but they do list the nutritional analysis and
some would be suitable for my diet. Alas, they don't look suitable for my
daughter now that we know about her food allergies. Otherwise I'd get some.

--
See my webpage:

Old 09-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Ozgirl

BessieBee wrote:

Stock up on toilet paper. Lots and lots of toilet paper.

Get more
toilet paper. Learn how to flush a toilet using a bucket

of water.

Why bother about flushing? I remember when toilet ''cans"
were emptied once a week, lol. I'd prefer to conserve my
water personally, nothing gonna come up and bite you. Or
keep a porta potty handy if living in a hurricane belt. Now
toilet paper, that's a whole new ballgame, I can't live
without my toilet paper.

food service supplies Mike P. General Cooking 1 18-09-2007 05:13 PM
Emergency Food Supplies Mike P. Marketplace 0 21-08-2007 04:36 PM
Supplies Puester Preserving 1 01-05-2007 01:03 AM
looking for winemaking supplies Tater Winemaking 11 15-03-2007 09:38 PM
Supplies Jason Thomas Winemaking 0 21-01-2004 09:39 AM