Old 09-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Alan S

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 09:52:28 GMT, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

BessieBee wrote:

Stock up on toilet paper. Lots and lots of toilet paper.

Get more
toilet paper. Learn how to flush a toilet using a bucket

of water.

Why bother about flushing? I remember when toilet ''cans"
were emptied once a week, lol. I'd prefer to conserve my
water personally, nothing gonna come up and bite you. Or
keep a porta potty handy if living in a hurricane belt. Now
toilet paper, that's a whole new ballgame, I can't live
without my toilet paper.

To all the Floridians - good luck in the blow.

You do know what a "G'zunda" is? It goes under the bed -
known as a chamber-pot in the pre-flushing days:-) Remember
that sewage pumping systems may not work.

I can relate - and I understand your concern. I was on the
assessment team after Cyclone Tracy in Darwin in 1975.
Fortunately, I wasn't there during the cyclone - but I did
open the fridge on 6th January which had been fully stocked
with 40Kg (90lbs) of banana prawns (giant shrimp) for a
Christmas Dinner.

Whatever you do - don't store any shrimp. That is a smell I
will never, ever, forget:-)

Batten down the hatches.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Priscilla Ballou

"Ozgirl" wrote:

BessieBee wrote:

Stock up on toilet paper. Lots and lots of toilet paper.

Get more
toilet paper. Learn how to flush a toilet using a bucket

of water.

Why bother about flushing?

One doesn't flush *every* time (remember "If it's yellow let it mellow,
if it's brown flush it down?"), but if you leave it too long you can
overstress it, not to mention in the heat without a/c the smell can be
truly disgusting. Bad for morale if nothing else. Keep a paper bag by
the toilet for used toilet paper to help prevent clogs from fewer
flushes.

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong
Old 09-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Nicky

"WeeBit" wrote in message
We are fixing to be hit by Hurricane Dennis they told us to get ready now.

Best of luck, Weebit - we'll be thinking of you.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Old 09-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Julie Bove

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Why bother about flushing? I remember when toilet ''cans"
were emptied once a week, lol. I'd prefer to conserve my
water personally, nothing gonna come up and bite you. Or
keep a porta potty handy if living in a hurricane belt. Now
toilet paper, that's a whole new ballgame, I can't live
without my toilet paper.

I remember the saying, "If it's brown, flush it down. If it's yellow, let
it mellow". If you don't flush the brown down, not only will it stink
pretty badly, but it will also create a huge clog in no time, especially if
you have a low flow toilet.

--
See my webpage:

Old 10-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Alan S

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 17:18:58 GMT, "bj"
wrote:

You might enjoy the tale of the man who caught a humongous tuna recently....
bj

Thx BJ

I never catch anything that big - he should have stuck it on
e-bay:-)

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:37 AM
Ozgirl

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Why bother about flushing? I remember when toilet

''cans"
were emptied once a week, lol. I'd prefer to conserve my
water personally, nothing gonna come up and bite you. Or
keep a porta potty handy if living in a hurricane belt.

Now
toilet paper, that's a whole new ballgame, I can't live
without my toilet paper.

I remember the saying, "If it's brown, flush it down. If

it's yellow, let
it mellow". If you don't flush the brown down, not only

will it stink
pretty badly, but it will also create a huge clog in no

time, especially if
you have a low flow toilet.

I was thinking this might be a 2-3 day problem only, lol.
Not weeks without a flush hee hee

Old 10-07-2005, 04:00 AM
Priscilla Ballou

"Ozgirl" wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Why bother about flushing? I remember when toilet

''cans"
were emptied once a week, lol. I'd prefer to conserve my
water personally, nothing gonna come up and bite you. Or
keep a porta potty handy if living in a hurricane belt.

Now
toilet paper, that's a whole new ballgame, I can't live
without my toilet paper.

I remember the saying, "If it's brown, flush it down. If

it's yellow, let
it mellow". If you don't flush the brown down, not only

will it stink
pretty badly, but it will also create a huge clog in no

time, especially if
you have a low flow toilet.

I was thinking this might be a 2-3 day problem only, lol.
Not weeks without a flush hee hee

In a hot climate like the US south in summer with no a/c, you don't want
to collect it for a full day without a flush.

Priscilla
Old 10-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Julie Bove

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

I was thinking this might be a 2-3 day problem only, lol.
Not weeks without a flush hee hee

Maybe I have an unusual toilet. But I know from experience that if you poop
in there and don't flush it right away, it clogs up.

--
See my webpage:

Old 10-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Ozgirl

Priscilla Ballou wrote:
In article

,
"Ozgirl" wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in

message
news:[email protected]

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
[...]

If it had to come down to an odour in a toilet (that can
have the lid closed and the bathroom door closed) or
drinking water, I'd choose conserving the water. I was
nearly twenty before the holiday house of our choice was
connected to the sewer, pans were the toilet, they were
emptied once a week, there were 11 of us staying in the
holiday house at one time, no air fresheners or spray
deodorants. It's not the end of the world I think in any
emergency situation priorities are set in place, a stinky
toilet is no biggie.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Ozgirl

Julie Bove wrote:
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

I was thinking this might be a 2-3 day problem only, lol.
Not weeks without a flush hee hee

Maybe I have an unusual toilet. But I know from

experience that if
you poop in there and don't flush it right away, it clogs

up.

Dunno about strange, but different to mine I have a
disabled chils who often tosses a toilet roll in the toilet
and flushes it down. Touch wood, no clogs .... yet

Old 10-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Alan S

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:03:01 GMT, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

Maybe I have an unusual toilet. But I know from

experience that if
you poop in there and don't flush it right away, it clogs

up.

Dunno about strange, but different to mine I have a
disabled chils who often tosses a toilet roll in the toilet
and flushes it down. Touch wood, no clogs .... yet

Hi Ozgirl

We learnt the hard way with a blockage. US flushing systems
are quite different to our simple ones. They have a very
small outlet using pressure, ours has a large outlet using
gravity.

How do I elevate the tone of this conversation? Talk about
overhead cisterns?

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Old 11-07-2005, 06:11 AM
Kookie Jones

wow, i think you covered it all. you are very positive and have
everything on the ball. As for the gentleman being hit by Dennis, good
luck and prayers are with you. God bless Hugs-Kookie

food service supplies Mike P. General Cooking 1 18-09-2007 05:13 PM
Emergency Food Supplies Mike P. Marketplace 0 21-08-2007 04:36 PM
Supplies Puester Preserving 1 01-05-2007 01:03 AM
looking for winemaking supplies Tater Winemaking 11 15-03-2007 09:38 PM
Supplies Jason Thomas Winemaking 0 21-01-2004 09:39 AM