Old 29-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Julie Bove

"Jennifer" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hey Julie...

I did a Google for "low carb baked beans"...

Here's what I found:

snip

Thanks! But those wouldn't do. Angela is allergic to wheat, gluten, soy,
bananas, peanuts, eggs and dairy. So soybeans are totally out of the
question. Also can't use most prepackaged sauces because they tend to
contain wheat. This might be disguised in the form of modified food starch,
mono and diglycerides and a whole slew of other names. It is getting very
tough finding things we can all eat.

--
See my webpage:

Old 29-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Vicki Beausoleil

Julie Bove wrote:

"None Given" wrote in message

Maybe davinci has a flavor that would work. DH puts onions and bacon in
his, but he uses brown sugar.

Maybe. But they are rather watery. Seems like that would not give the
right consistency.

--
See my webpage:

If your beans are too watery then remove some, mash them, mix back in
and cook a bit more. Natural thickener.

Here's what I do. I never use a recipe, but this is the method.

Soak 1 lb. pea beans overnight. Change water, bring to a boil then
simmer about an hour until the skins split. Drain, put in Dutch oven
with a ton of onions, a couple of tablespoons prepared mustard, about
1/4 cup ketchup or you could use tomato paste, lots of pepper, 1/4 - 1/2
cup molasses or as much as you think you should. Cover beans with
boiling water and cook in a 200 degree F oven for at least 8 hours. Add
boiling water if necessary. Uncover and continue to bake to darken and
thicken. Stir occasionally. This recipe gets better the longer it cooks,
I've cooked it for 24 hours and it's great. I put neither meat nor
sweetener in my beans.

Very important: Don't salt anything until beans are very tender. Salt
will toughen the beans and they won't absorb water well.

This recipe makes my 8-qt. Dutch oven almost full. 15 - 20 servings at
least. They never seem to taste the same twice, but hub always gobbles
them up with a 'you should make these more often'. Excellent with eggs
for breakfast in the morning.
I've used the same method in the crockpot, but they don't darken as
much. The oven works better.

HTH

Vicki
Old 30-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Julie Bove

"Vicki Beausoleil" wrote in message

If your beans are too watery then remove some, mash them, mix back in
and cook a bit more. Natural thickener.

Here's what I do. I never use a recipe, but this is the method.

snip

That sounds good! I might try 1/2 a recipe of that, unless I find out that
a lot of people will be dining with me. I would probably add a little bacon
since my family seems to like them that way. I have an ancient bean pot
that works very well, but it only holds maybe 4 servings. I'm also worried
that there might be lead in the glaze, so I just use it and the 4 little
serving cups as a decoration. I don't know why I had not thought to mash
the beans. I do that all the time with soups and also when I make "refried"
beans. I don't actually fry my pintos. I simply cook them and mash them
with a touch of olive oil. Yummy!

--
See my webpage:

Old 04-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Julie Bove

"Vicki Beausoleil" wrote in message

If your beans are too watery then remove some, mash them, mix back in
and cook a bit more. Natural thickener.

Here's what I do. I never use a recipe, but this is the method.

snip

I made my beans last night/today and they came out great! I pretty much
followed your recipe. I did use 2 pounds of beans and added not quite a
pound of bacon. I cut the bacon in tiny pieces, fried it till crisp and
then used the bacon grease to caramelize the onions before I added them. I
drained most of the grease from the bacon and onions before adding them. I
only used about 1/2 cup of molasses for the whole recipe. I did add 6
packets of Splenda for additional sweetness. I think the molasses is
essential though for the dark color and also the flavor. I could not use
any of the other browning things I might have used in the past because they
contain things my daughter can't eat.

I put everything in the crockpot around midnight last night and left them to
cook on low. The beans tasted wonderful this morning and were beginning to
brown nicely around the edges. They've now been cooking for about 13 hours.
They are getting more brown and taste even better. I figure that by dinner
they will be to die for! I have a vent in my kitchen and the baked bean
scent is wafting through the neighborhood. Smells divine! But it's making
me want to eat them.

I will have to try to restrain myself come dinner time. Last night, my
daughter and I made some gluten free, egg free, soy free, dairy free
chocolate brownies. We used a very thin chocolate glaze on top and also
some acceptable chocolate sprinkles. Not all of them would fit on the
serving plate. She and I kept going back and sampling the ones left in the
pan. Okay for her maybe, but not something I should be doing! I did cut
them into tiny pieces so it wasn't too much damage. But they sure were
good!

I also made some sugar free Jell-O in a flag mold. I used a mix of cherry
and raspberry and added those canned, tart pie cherries. I drained them
very well and mixed with Splenda. Tastes just like cherry pie!

--
See my webpage:

Old 09-07-2005, 11:00 PM
MaryL

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Jennifer" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hey Julie...

I did a Google for "low carb baked beans"...

Here's what I found:

snip

Thanks! But those wouldn't do. Angela is allergic to wheat, gluten, soy,
bananas, peanuts, eggs and dairy. So soybeans are totally out of the
question. Also can't use most prepackaged sauces because they tend to
contain wheat. This might be disguised in the form of modified food
starch,
mono and diglycerides and a whole slew of other names. It is getting very
tough finding things we can all eat.

--
See my webpage:

Julie,

This doesn't answer your specific question, but have you looked at recipe
sites that are designed for people with celiac disease? I have a friend
with celiac, and she has to avoid much of what Angela also cannot have.
Perhaps you could get some ideas from one of their recipes.

MaryL

Old 10-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Julie Bove

news:[email protected]

Julie,

This doesn't answer your specific question, but have you looked at recipe
sites that are designed for people with celiac disease? I have a friend
with celiac, and she has to avoid much of what Angela also cannot have.
Perhaps you could get some ideas from one of their recipes.

Yeah. Unfortunately, soy is included in many of their recipes. And then my
diabetes seems to complicate things because I want to come up with something
we can all eat. I did come up with a way to make the beans and they were
wonderful! I used 2 pounds of navy beans. Soaked them for about 5 hours.
Decided this was long enough of a soak since they were getting nicely soft.
I drained off the water, added fresh water, brought to a boil and simmered
for about an hour. They were soft at this point.

I then drained and transferred them to my large crockpot, added not quite a
full package of bacon that had been fried to a crisp and cut into tiny
pieces, 3 chopped yellow onions that had been caramelized in the bacon
grease, about 1/4 cup of GF molasses, plenty of 1 carb ketchup, some
prepared mustard, 6 packets of Splenda, salt and pepper and a bit of water.
I didn't really measure these other ingredients. Just added to taste.

I set the crockpot on low and cooked the beans for about 17 hours. I did
have to stir them a few times towards the end. They got very nice and brown
and very sweet! Had I gone by taste alone, I would have thought them to be
loaded with sugar. I think the trick is in getting the onions nicely
caramelized to start with and the slow cooking for such a long time.

--
See my webpage:

Old 28-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Jack Allen

Julie,

What kind of beans did you use. I always use cannoli beans and they are
not bad and are low on the glycemic index.

news:[email protected]

Old 28-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Julie Bove

"Jack Allen" wrote in message
Julie,

What kind of beans did you use. I always use cannoli beans and they are
not bad and are low on the glycemic index.

I used navy beans.

--
See my webpage: