FoodBanter.com

-   -   looking for recipe zucchini on italian tomato sauce (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/62472-looking-recipe-zucchini-italian.html)

ms. tonya 10-06-2005 02:55 AM

looking for recipe zucchini on italian tomato sauce

Looking for a low carb recipe for zucchini in italian tomato sauce.
Bought a can of Del Monte without looking on back label - was in a rush-
got home and saw the total carbs were 7 grams per serving. Way too much
for me.
TIA

Alan S 10-06-2005 03:16 AM

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 21:55:11 -0400, (ms.
tonya) wrote:

>Looking for a low carb recipe for zucchini in italian tomato sauce.
>Bought a can of Del Monte without looking on back label - was in a rush-
>got home and saw the total carbs were 7 grams per serving. Way too much
>for me.
>TIA

Hi Tonya

Maybe this will help. Just add your Zucchini. An old one of
mine re-posted.

Alan's Bulk Napoli Sauce

My apologies to anyone of Italian extraction - I know it's
not like Momma used to make.

I cook this sauce up in bulk, then use it in various other
recipes like Spaghetti Bolognese, Stuffed Mushrooms etc. I
also like it as a sugar-free alternative to ketchup on
steak, hamburgers and other cooked meats.

It will keep for a few days in the fridge, but I mostly
freeze it in two ways. About half of a bulk lot I freeze as
ice cubes which I then transfer to an old ice-cream
container in the freezer for ready use. Then I can defrost
the number necessary without waste, as I often cook for one.
The remainder I freeze in larger 2 or 3 cup serves for use
in making Spag Bol etc.

All of my recipes are very flexible. In this case vary
ingredients, particularly herbs, to your own taste. However,
it's best to follow the recipe with a small test try first.

Bulk Napoli Sauce

Basic units:

1 can (about 400g or 14 oz) peeled tomatoes,
or fresh equivalent.
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste (optional)
1 clove of garlic, minced
olive oil
1 teaspoon of dried basil or a few chopped leaves. If you
like other herbs such as oregano, thyme etc, just adjust to
your taste, but basil is basic to the recipe.
cracked black pepper to taste salt to taste

Sweat the chopped onion in a large pot over medium heat
until translucent but not brown. Use a little olive oil to
prevent sticking to the pot.
Add the minced garlic and cook until also translucent.
Chop the tomatoes and add to the pot with their juice. For
large quantities drain the liquid into the onion mix and use
a processor for the solids in batches.
Add the basil/herbs and bring to a slow covered simmer.
Allow to simmer as long as possible, but at least an hour,
until the tomato breaks down and the onion seems to almost
disappear.
Check and stir occasionally to prevent sticking; add a
little water if the mixture gets too thick.
When the sauce is cooked it should be thickish but still
liquid and pourable. Adjust seasoning near the end.
For a richer, thicker sauce add the tomato paste towards the
finish and cook while stirring until it is cooked in. If you
add it too early you will need to watch more closely for
sticking.

For bulk cooking I just multiply; usually I cook about six
cans worth. How much you cook depends on the size of your
saucepan/cooker and storage/freezing facilities.

As you increase the quantity you may need to adjust the
onion, garlic and basil quantities down a little in
proportion.

You'll have to work the carbs out yourself - it can vary
depending on how much you reduce the sauce and whether you
add tomato paste.

Bon Appetit

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

ms. tonya 10-06-2005 04:27 AM

Thanks Alan, just printed out recipe.
BTW- Do you have a website for more of your recipes?

Alan S 10-06-2005 06:44 AM

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 23:27:03 -0400, (ms.
tonya) wrote:

>Thanks Alan, just printed out recipe.
>BTW- Do you have a website for more of your recipes?

You're looking at it, here or a.s.d. Just google me on this
addy or my previous ones as
or
:-) I put a few in a thread called
"Alan's Recipes" a year or two back.

I haven't posted that many - but they're all my own simple
practical ones for living with type 2.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.