Seehear

Default Chicken Koh-Samui

Friggin gorgeous!

Ok - 1 portion needs a breast from a free-range 3Lb chicken that;'s been
LIGHTLY roasted. If it's overcooked - you can't make this - the breast MUST
be JUST set and real juicy!

Dice the cooked juicy breast into bite size - I mean SMALL bites - not
Goliath bites.

Now take 1 shallott, 1/4 each green and red peppers, a clove of garlic
squashed, and cut all into strips equal and small. + A thumb of ginger cut
into hair fine strips, get these into a wok or frypan, stirfast and need to
be still VERY crunchy!
Add the chicken and a half bottle of Ancona Thai Hot Sweet Chili Sauce and
some previously fried-till-caramelised Pineapples.
Boil it up and simmer 1 minute and pour onto a plate. Garnish with finely
sliced Bird's Eye chillies.
On the side, a whopping portion of Steamed Green Beans.
Your eyes will water, taste buds scream with delight, you'll probably choke
at least once, and you will want this time and time again!
No need for rice - or anything else.

Alan S

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 17:20:45 +0100, "Seehear"
> wrote:

>Friggin gorgeous!
>
>Ok - 1 portion needs a breast from a free-range 3Lb chicken that;'s been
>LIGHTLY roasted. If it's overcooked - you can't make this - the breast MUST
>be JUST set and real juicy!
>
>Dice the cooked juicy breast into bite size - I mean SMALL bites - not
>Goliath bites.
>
>Now take 1 shallott, 1/4 each green and red peppers, a clove of garlic
>squashed, and cut all into strips equal and small. + A thumb of ginger cut
>into hair fine strips, get these into a wok or frypan, stirfast and need to
>be still VERY crunchy!
>Add the chicken and a half bottle of Ancona Thai Hot Sweet Chili Sauce and
>some previously fried-till-caramelised Pineapples.
>Boil it up and simmer 1 minute and pour onto a plate. Garnish with finely
>sliced Bird's Eye chillies.
>On the side, a whopping portion of Steamed Green Beans.
>Your eyes will water, taste buds scream with delight, you'll probably choke
>at least once, and you will want this time and time again!
>No need for rice - or anything else.

Sounds delicious. You imply that this is a one-serve recipe.
Are you a diabetic? T1 or T2?

What was the carb count in a half-bottle of Ancona Thai Hot
Sweet Chili Sauce and the fried-till-caramelised Pineapples?
What are your BGs like an hour after eating it?

Definitely no rice for me - but you could try experimenting
if you want to low-carb it. As an alternative to the Sweet
Chili Sauce I'd suggest a combination of a tablespoon of
splenda, some finely chopped hot chili or chili powder, a
tablespoon of vinegar, a squirt of lemon juice and a
half-cup of finely chopped tinned tomato or some tomato
puree. Adjust with water or white wine as it cooks. With
that sort of sauce I may be able to handle a little
pineapple.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
Alan S > wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 17:20:45 +0100, "Seehear"
> > wrote:
>
> >Friggin gorgeous!
> >
> >Ok - 1 portion needs a breast from a free-range 3Lb chicken that;'s been
> >LIGHTLY roasted. If it's overcooked - you can't make this - the breast MUST
> >be JUST set and real juicy!
> >
> >Dice the cooked juicy breast into bite size - I mean SMALL bites - not
> >Goliath bites.
> >
> >Now take 1 shallott, 1/4 each green and red peppers, a clove of garlic
> >squashed, and cut all into strips equal and small. + A thumb of ginger cut
> >into hair fine strips, get these into a wok or frypan, stirfast and need to
> >be still VERY crunchy!
> >Add the chicken and a half bottle of Ancona Thai Hot Sweet Chili Sauce and
> >some previously fried-till-caramelised Pineapples.
> >Boil it up and simmer 1 minute and pour onto a plate. Garnish with finely
> >sliced Bird's Eye chillies.
> >On the side, a whopping portion of Steamed Green Beans.
> >Your eyes will water, taste buds scream with delight, you'll probably choke
> >at least once, and you will want this time and time again!
> >No need for rice - or anything else.
> >

> Sounds delicious. You imply that this is a one-serve recipe.
> Are you a diabetic? T1 or T2?
>
> What was the carb count in a half-bottle of Ancona Thai Hot
> Sweet Chili Sauce and the fried-till-caramelised Pineapples?
> What are your BGs like an hour after eating it?
>
> Definitely no rice for me - but you could try experimenting
> if you want to low-carb it. As an alternative to the Sweet
> Chili Sauce I'd suggest a combination of a tablespoon of
> splenda, some finely chopped hot chili or chili powder, a
> tablespoon of vinegar, a squirt of lemon juice and a
> half-cup of finely chopped tinned tomato or some tomato
> puree. Adjust with water or white wine as it cooks. With
> that sort of sauce I may be able to handle a little
> pineapple.

Oooh, you guys are inspiring me. I was wondering what to do with that
boneless chicken breast for tonight. Hmmm, I don't like hot stuff, but
peppers, garlic, ginger, a sauce made with vinegar, splenda, tomato
puree, a little bit of pineapple, served on shiritaki (soluble fiber
"noodles") sounds pretty darn good. Hmmm. What else can I add?
Mushrooms, scallions....

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong
Seehear

Hi Alan,
T2 for 5 years (DoB 1951)
1/2 Bottle Encona - (Spelled it wrong first time around) 1 bottle is 220 ml,
there isn't a nutritional breakdown on the label - just ingredients and
SUGAR is at the top.
Fried Pineapples - just a few bits - say 2 Oz.
BG pre say 5.9. + 1 Hr = 13.... + 2 Hr = about 7 to 8

I know this is an indulgence meal! But 1/2 hour later, I'm usually walking
somewhere on on the treadmill.

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 17:20:45 +0100, "Seehear"
> > wrote:
>
>>Friggin gorgeous!
>>
>>Ok - 1 portion needs a breast from a free-range 3Lb chicken that;'s been
>>LIGHTLY roasted. If it's overcooked - you can't make this - the breast
>>MUST
>>be JUST set and real juicy!
>>
>>Dice the cooked juicy breast into bite size - I mean SMALL bites - not
>>Goliath bites.
>>
>>Now take 1 shallott, 1/4 each green and red peppers, a clove of garlic
>>squashed, and cut all into strips equal and small. + A thumb of ginger cut
>>into hair fine strips, get these into a wok or frypan, stirfast and need
>>be still VERY crunchy!
>>Add the chicken and a half bottle of Ancona Thai Hot Sweet Chili Sauce and
>>some previously fried-till-caramelised Pineapples.
>>Boil it up and simmer 1 minute and pour onto a plate. Garnish with finely
>>sliced Bird's Eye chillies.
>>On the side, a whopping portion of Steamed Green Beans.
>>Your eyes will water, taste buds scream with delight, you'll probably
>>choke
>>at least once, and you will want this time and time again!
>>No need for rice - or anything else.
>>

> Sounds delicious. You imply that this is a one-serve recipe.
> Are you a diabetic? T1 or T2?
>
> What was the carb count in a half-bottle of Ancona Thai Hot
> Sweet Chili Sauce and the fried-till-caramelised Pineapples?
> What are your BGs like an hour after eating it?
>
> Definitely no rice for me - but you could try experimenting
> if you want to low-carb it. As an alternative to the Sweet
> Chili Sauce I'd suggest a combination of a tablespoon of
> splenda, some finely chopped hot chili or chili powder, a
> tablespoon of vinegar, a squirt of lemon juice and a
> half-cup of finely chopped tinned tomato or some tomato
> puree. Adjust with water or white wine as it cooks. With
> that sort of sauce I may be able to handle a little
> pineapple.
>

> Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Alan S

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 00:31:15 +0100, "Seehear"
> wrote:

>Hi Alan,
>T2 for 5 years (DoB 1951)
>1/2 Bottle Encona - (Spelled it wrong first time around) 1 bottle is 220 ml,
>there isn't a nutritional breakdown on the label - just ingredients and
>SUGAR is at the top.
>Fried Pineapples - just a few bits - say 2 Oz.
>BG pre say 5.9. + 1 Hr = 13.... + 2 Hr = about 7 to 8
>
>I know this is an indulgence meal! But 1/2 hour later, I'm usually walking
>somewhere on on the treadmill.

Hi "Seehear"

I hope you have that treadmill set uphill. You'll need a
good long walk.

I'll try to put this calmly.

To me, deliberately eating something that would give me
13(235) at one hour, and was still at 7 or 8 (125-145) at
two hours would not be an indulgence.

It would be a slow form of painful suicide.

I'd suggest, in the interests of your own health, that you
do two things. First, read this link:

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

Second, come over and join the mad, kook-prone,
well-trolled, noisy, rarely agreeing but usually agreeable
mob on alt.support.diabetes.

It may save your life, limbs and sight.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
"Seehear" > wrote:

> Hi Alan,
> T2 for 5 years (DoB 1951)
> 1/2 Bottle Encona - (Spelled it wrong first time around) 1 bottle is 220 ml,
> there isn't a nutritional breakdown on the label - just ingredients and
> SUGAR is at the top.
> Fried Pineapples - just a few bits - say 2 Oz.
> BG pre say 5.9. + 1 Hr = 13....

Yikes! 13 = 234!

> + 2 Hr = about 7 to 8
>
> I know this is an indulgence meal!

And how.

> But 1/2 hour later, I'm usually walking
> somewhere on on the treadmill.

Maybe eat while you're walking? ;-)

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Alan S wrote on 04 Jun 2005 in alt.food.diabetic

> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 00:31:15 +0100, "Seehear"
> > wrote:
>
> >Hi Alan,
> >T2 for 5 years (DoB 1951)
> >1/2 Bottle Encona - (Spelled it wrong first time around) 1 bottle
> >is 220 ml, there isn't a nutritional breakdown on the label -
> >just ingredients and SUGAR is at the top.
> >Fried Pineapples - just a few bits - say 2 Oz.
> >BG pre say 5.9. + 1 Hr = 13.... + 2 Hr = about 7 to 8
> >
> >I know this is an indulgence meal! But 1/2 hour later, I'm
> >usually walking somewhere on on the treadmill.

> Hi "Seehear"
>
> I hope you have that treadmill set uphill. You'll need a
> good long walk.
>
> I'll try to put this calmly.
>
> To me, deliberately eating something that would give me
> 13(235) at one hour, and was still at 7 or 8 (125-145) at
> two hours would not be an indulgence.
>
> It would be a slow form of painful suicide.
>
> I'd suggest, in the interests of your own health, that you
> do two things. First, read this link:
>
> http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm
>
> Second, come over and join the mad, kook-prone,
> well-trolled, noisy, rarely agreeing but usually agreeable
> mob on alt.support.diabetes.
>
> It may save your life, limbs and sight.
>

> Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Maybe Seehear doesn't know that after 7.6 permenent damage occurs.
That's PERMENENT DAMAGE, as in lasts till you die. Which can build up
to cause stroke, heart attack, blindness, limb loss and nerve damage.
Hope the meal was worth it. It probably took a month off your quality
of life.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 215 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Seehear

I thought it was after you got over 12mmol/L on a regular basis that damage
STARTED to happen!
At least, that's what I've been told.
My BG's are - for me - normally varying from as low as 3.9 (best ever) to
17.6 (worst ever) but the median is 7.2.
My last Bloods are attached.
Requested

22.03.05
Received

22.03.05
Laboratory No.

7162676

CPA Clinical Biochemistry

CPA ACCREDITED LABORATORY

140
Sodium 135-145 mmol/L

4.1
Potassium 3.5 - 5.0 mmol/L

102
Chloride 98 - 108 mmol/L

Bicarbonate 21 - 28 mmol/L

4.7
Urea 2.5-7.5 mmol/L

83
Creatinine 40-130 § ?mol/L

*8.4
Glucose 3.5-5.5 mmol/L

CRP < 10 mg/L

Amylase < 100 U/L

Urate § mmol/L

*0.3
Troponin l < 0.2 ?.g/L

CK < 210 U/L

12
Billirubin 12-22 ?mol/L

22
AST < 40 U/L

27
ALT < 50 U/L

*138
Gamma-GT < 90 U/L

150
Alk.Phos 80-280 U/L

Protein 60-80 g/L

44
Albumin 36-52 g/L

Globulins 19-33 g/L

Calcium mmol/L

Adjusted Calcium 2.10-2.60 mmol/L

Phosphate 0.70-1.40 mmol/L

Magnesium 0.7- 1.00 mmol/L

3.7
Cholesterol target < 5.0 mmol/L

1.0
HDL target < 1.0 mmol/L

3.7
Chol/HDL ratio

*3.8
Triglycerides target < 2.3 mmol/L

2.02
LDL Cholesterol target < 3.0 mmol/L

*6.8
TSH 0.2 - 5.0 mU/L

15
Free T4 9 - 25 pmol/L

T3 0.8 - 3.0 nmol/L

SUMMARY
High TSH. Investigate Thyroid function

Triglycerides abnormal.

Suggest repeat TFT's in 3 months

Now you are scaring me!

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Seehear" > wrote:
>
>> Hi Alan,
>> T2 for 5 years (DoB 1951)
>> 1/2 Bottle Encona - (Spelled it wrong first time around) 1 bottle is 220
>> ml,
>> there isn't a nutritional breakdown on the label - just ingredients and
>> SUGAR is at the top.
>> Fried Pineapples - just a few bits - say 2 Oz.
>> BG pre say 5.9. + 1 Hr = 13....

> Yikes! 13 = 234!
>
>> + 2 Hr = about 7 to 8
>>
>> I know this is an indulgence meal!

> And how.
>
>> But 1/2 hour later, I'm usually walking
>> somewhere on on the treadmill.

> Maybe eat while you're walking? ;-)
>
> Priscilla
> --
> "Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
> the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
"Seehear" > wrote:

> I thought it was after you got over 12mmol/L on a regular basis that damage
> STARTED to happen!

12 is 216 where I am. I hope I never see numbers that high! My
understanding is that damage starts at 140 -- 7.8 in your numbers.

> At least, that's what I've been told.
> My BG's are - for me - normally varying from as low as 3.9 (best ever) to
> 17.6 (worst ever) but the median is 7.2.
> My last Bloods are attached.
>
> *8.4
> Glucose 3.5-5.5 mmol/L

Is this fasting or HbA1c? Either would be scarily high, from where I'm
sitting.

> SUMMARY
> High TSH. Investigate Thyroid function
>
> Triglycerides abnormal.
>
> Suggest repeat TFT's in 3 months

Nothing about your glucose? There was an asterix next to it. Didn't
that mean they thought it was out of bounds?

> Now you are scaring me!

Sounds like you need to be scared. You can be doing yourself some
serious damage and either shortening your life or ensuring that at some
point you'll wish your life were shorter.

Seriously. Check out the advice for newbies at
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm then come on over
to alt.support.diabetes and read people like Jennifer, OldAl, Alan S.
and others.

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong
Alan S

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:16:32 +0100, "Seehear"
> wrote:

>I thought it was after you got over 12mmol/L on a regular basis that damage
>STARTED to happen!
>At least, that's what I've been told.
>My BG's are - for me - normally varying from as low as 3.9 (best ever) to
>17.6 (worst ever) but the median is 7.2.
>My last Bloods are attached.

<snip>

> *8.4
> Glucose 3.5-5.5 mmol/L

Based on the others, that's a fasting glucose. US equivalent
is 150mg/dl - and it's very high for someone who should be
under some control after five years.

<snip>

I've included the US numbers and rearranged slightly:

Cholesterol......3.7(143)........target < 5.0
HDL...............1.0(39)........target < 1.0
Chol/HDL ratio 3.7
Triglycerides...*3.8(336)........target < 2.3
LDL Cholesterol..2.02(78)........target < 3.0
TSH..................*6.8........0.2 - 5.0 mU/L

<snip>

>Now you are scaring me!

I certainly hope so. Well done Priscilla:-)

One of the indicators used for insulin resistance is the
ratio of triglycerides to HDL. The prefered maximum for
mmol/L is 1.3 (3 in mg/dl). Yours is 3.8. I'd love to have
your LDL - but those high trigs and low HDL aren't good
news.

Nothing wrong with being scared, as long as you use that as
a motivator for action.

Read http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm
Print it out, and read it again.

Then come back and ask lots of questions.

Two further comments - 3.9(70) is about as low as you want
to go, not the "best ever". In fact, if you get the shakes
occasionally, or a feeling of vertigo or nausea, you may be
surprised if you test at that moment.

Did I miss an HbA1c in there somewhere? I would make a wild
guess that it's somewhere between 7% and 8.5% - but that
average number may mean that it's marginally under 7.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Diet and not enough exercise.
I have no medical qualifications beyond my own experience.

Seehear

OK, as i said -its an exceptional Pig-Out receipt,
but buggerme silly, I'm on leaves for a week now.
Maybe eat a chili at bedtime instead of listerine!
I just lurrrv chillies!
Rite, OK, you scared me enuf.
gottaget my numbers down.
Oki.
TA
P.S. - I eat oily fish 14/21meals a week.
Trigs high because I'm a boozer.

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:16:32 +0100, "Seehear"
> > wrote:
>
>>I thought it was after you got over 12mmol/L on a regular basis that
>>damage
>>STARTED to happen!
>>At least, that's what I've been told.
>>My BG's are - for me - normally varying from as low as 3.9 (best ever) to
>>17.6 (worst ever) but the median is 7.2.
>>My last Bloods are attached.

> <snip>
>>
>> *8.4
>> Glucose 3.5-5.5 mmol/L

> Based on the others, that's a fasting glucose. US equivalent
> is 150mg/dl - and it's very high for someone who should be
> under some control after five years.
>
> <snip>
>>

> I've included the US numbers and rearranged slightly:
>
> Cholesterol......3.7(143)........target < 5.0
> HDL...............1.0(39)........target < 1.0
> Chol/HDL ratio 3.7
> Triglycerides...*3.8(336)........target < 2.3
> LDL Cholesterol..2.02(78)........target < 3.0
> TSH..................*6.8........0.2 - 5.0 mU/L
>>

> <snip>
>>
>>Now you are scaring me!
>>

> I certainly hope so. Well done Priscilla:-)
>
> One of the indicators used for insulin resistance is the
> ratio of triglycerides to HDL. The prefered maximum for
> mmol/L is 1.3 (3 in mg/dl). Yours is 3.8. I'd love to have
> your LDL - but those high trigs and low HDL aren't good
> news.
>
> Nothing wrong with being scared, as long as you use that as
> a motivator for action.
>
> Read http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm
> Print it out, and read it again.
>
> Then come back and ask lots of questions.
>
> Two further comments - 3.9(70) is about as low as you want
> to go, not the "best ever". In fact, if you get the shakes
> occasionally, or a feeling of vertigo or nausea, you may be
> surprised if you test at that moment.
>
> Did I miss an HbA1c in there somewhere? I would make a wild
> guess that it's somewhere between 7% and 8.5% - but that
> average number may mean that it's marginally under 7.
>
> Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> Diet and not enough exercise.
> I have no medical qualifications beyond my own experience.
> Choose your advisers carefully, because experience can be
> an expensive teacher.
>
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Alan S

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 00:06:29 +0100, "Seehear"
> wrote:

>P.S. - I eat oily fish 14/21meals a week.

Glad to see I can give some compliments for something - keep
that up. Now, about the booze.....you're not also a suicidal
smoker are you?

Read Jennifer.
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

Oh, sorry, did I say that before? Careless of me...this
disease does affect the memory cells too.

Read Jennifer.
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

Darn, I did it again. Must be a reason for that. Strange
compulsion.

Am I getting a message across here? :-)

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Nicky

"Alan S" > wrote in message

I missed that first time round - thanks, Alan. This needs sorting out too -
you will feel a million times better when that's around the 2-mark!

Now, have you read Jennifer's advice yet? It's incredibly powerful, direct
feedback and will help you sort out your own blood glucose levels in short
order.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/76/72Kg