Karen Sexton

Default Looking for Good Chocolate Recipes

hello,

I'm not diabetic, just controlling my sugar intake and trying to lose
weight. I lurked on some of the diet forums and they are so busy
arguing and putting each other down that I thought I'd ask over here.

What i'm looking for are some links for some good chocolate recipes-
cookies and fudge in particular. They don't have to be low-fat or low
carb, just little or no sugar.

I made some oatmeal cookies with Splenda (I like it better than other
sweeteners), and the results were ok, not good, just ok.

I Googled and I went to the Splenda site, and they have some recipes,
but they didn't really look that great. Another site had fudge made
with cocoa, Splenda and cream cheese, but a reader wrote in and said
it was awful.

There is Type II onset diabetes in my family (grandfather) - but so
far my mother (76) and uncle (93) haven't had it. I don't feel good
when I eat sugar, just sluggish, mostly.

Thanks,

karen
None Given

"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message

> There is Type II onset diabetes in my family (grandfather) - but so
> far my mother (76) and uncle (93) haven't had it. I don't feel good
> when I eat sugar, just sluggish, mostly.

You should get a meter and test after you do that, it may tell you why you
feel that way. That feeling usually means my BG went too high. That too
high figure for me is still far below the diagnosis criteria.

If you just want to cut back the amount of sugar you could use the Splenda
or the Splenda blend in regular recipes, or even cut the blend with more
straight Splenda. I find substituting straight Splenda for sugar one to one
leaves an aftertaste so I use a little less than the recipe calls for. You
can also use Splenda mixed with another sweetener like Diabetisweet, not
sure of the spelling but it is a sugar alcohol and available in the pharmacy
section of Wal-Mart. You should also google for low carb or diabetic
recipes, that's where you will find the ones that cut down on the sugar.
There was a recipe that uses tofu on one of these groups, I don't remember
who posted it but here it is. I haven't tried it yet.

SUGAR-FREE TOFU MOUSSE

1 pound pack silken tofu
4 ounces bitter baking chocolate
1/4 - 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Water to dissolve the cocoa powder in (Add by tablespoonfuls.)
Artificial sweetener to taste (Start with 25 packs.)
1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract (optional but good)
1 -2 egg whites from "Just Whites," beaten stiff (but not
dry)(Optional)

Beat the tofu until all liquidy, preferably in a food processor. Mix the
cocoa powder with cold water until it is dissolved but thick (paste like,
not cocoa drink- like). Melt the baking chocolate. Add chocolate,
sweetener, cocoa and vanilla to the tofu and mix until well blended. Fold
in egg whites if using. Serve at room temperature in small portions as it
is quite overwhelming.

It keeps pretty well in the fridge for several days. It would keep longer
without the egg whites.
+++++++++++++
I got this one from the low carb show on the food network, I may try it
with almond flour instead of soy next time. I thank the soy tastes a
little flat. I didn't bother with the frosting because I've never used a
frosting on brownies.

Low Carb Double Chocolate Walnut Brownies
Yield: 25 servings

1 1/2 tablespoons wheat bran, or oat bran
1 1/4 cups plus 1/2 tablespoon soy flour
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
1/2 cup heavy cream
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon no sugar added vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Low Carb Chocolate Frosting, recipe follows

Special Equipment: 8-inch square baking pan

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Spray pan with nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray.
Set aside. Mix wheat bran and 1/2 tablespoon soy flour
together and sprinkle evenly over the inside of the
greased pan, also coating the sides.

Place the unsweetened chocolate and butter in a steel
bowl and melt over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk
in 1 cup sugar substitute and 1/4 cup heavy cream. Once
thoroughly blended, turn off heat and keep warm until
needed.

With an electric mixer on high, beat the eggs, 1 cup
sugar substitute and the vanilla extract just until
blended. Reduce to low speed and then blend in the
chocolate mixture.

With a wooden spoon, mix in the baking powder,
1 1/4 cups soy flour, walnuts, and 1/4 cup heavy cream.
Spread evenly into the prepared pan and bake on the
center rack for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick
inserted in the center comes out clean. (Do not over-
bake or brownies will be dry and hard.) Cool completely
before frosting with low carb chocolate frosting. Cut
into 5 rows by 5 rows to make 25 pieces.

Low Carb Chocolate Frosting:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (not melted)
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon no sugar added vanilla extract
Few drops hot water, as needed, to thin consistency

Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until
well combined. Use to frost brownies, but make sure
brownies are completely cooled, or the butter in the
frosting will melt.

Nutrition Information
Nutritional Analysis per Serving Calories 152
Total Fat 14 grams Saturated Fat 7 grams
Carbohydrates 6 grams Net Carbohydrates 4 grams
Fiber 2 grams

Episode#: LL1A13
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All
ights Reserved

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Alan S

On Tue, 31 May 2005 05:16:53 GMT, Karen Sexton
> wrote:

>hello,
>
>I'm not diabetic, just controlling my sugar intake and trying to lose
>weight.

<snip>

>There is Type II onset diabetes in my family (grandfather) - but so
>far my mother (76) and uncle (93) haven't had it. I don't feel good
>when I eat sugar, just sluggish, mostly.

Hi Karen

I'm sorry to say that, with that genetic background, and
those symptoms, I don't think your opening comment will
remain one you can make for too much longer.

Particularly if you continue looking for good chocolate cake
recipes, unless you can find ones that also have no flour as
well as no sugar.

Have you been tested by your doctor for diabetes? If not,
I'd suggest you ask specifically at your next regular
appointment.

I'll echo NoneGiven's advice. Cheap blood glucose meters are
available - let people here know where you live and they can
offer advice there. Even if you aren't diabetic, you may be
surprised at your blood glucose readings at the times you
are "feeling sluggish".

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Karen Sexton

On Tue, 31 May 2005 08:43:10 -0500, "None Given"
> wrote:

>"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
.. .

> [...]

>into 5 rows by 5 rows to make 25 pieces.
>
>Low Carb Chocolate Frosting:
>3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (not melted)
>5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
>1 cup sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
>1/3 cup heavy cream
>1 teaspoon no sugar added vanilla extract
>Few drops hot water, as needed, to thin consistency
>
>Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until
>well combined. Use to frost brownies, but make sure
>brownies are completely cooled, or the butter in the
>frosting will melt.
>
>Nutrition Information
>Nutritional Analysis per Serving Calories 152
>Total Fat 14 grams Saturated Fat 7 grams
>Carbohydrates 6 grams Net Carbohydrates 4 grams
>Fiber 2 grams
>
>Episode#: LL1A13
>Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All

Hey, thanks alot- I'm going to try the brownies. I just need a
chocolate fix without too much sugar!

About my BG level- I've had so many glucose tolerance tests (the 7
hour one) and it always comes out ok. Just once they said it was low,
but not low enough to be considered hypoglycemic.

I just think that since I've been dieting, I got my system used to not
having sugar, and now it bothers me in some way.

Karen
Karen Sexton

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:15:46 +1000, Alan S
> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 May 2005 05:16:53 GMT, Karen Sexton
> wrote:
>
>>hello,
>>
>>I'm not diabetic, just controlling my sugar intake and trying to lose
>>weight.

><snip>
>>
>>There is Type II onset diabetes in my family (grandfather) - but so
>>far my mother (76) and uncle (93) haven't had it. I don't feel good
>>when I eat sugar, just sluggish, mostly.
>>

>Hi Karen
>
>I'm sorry to say that, with that genetic background, and
>those symptoms, I don't think your opening comment will
>remain one you can make for too much longer.
>
>Particularly if you continue looking for good chocolate cake
>recipes, unless you can find ones that also have no flour as
>well as no sugar.
>
>Have you been tested by your doctor for diabetes? If not,
>I'd suggest you ask specifically at your next regular
>appointment.
>
>I'll echo NoneGiven's advice. Cheap blood glucose meters are
>available - let people here know where you live and they can
>offer advice there. Even if you aren't diabetic, you may be
>surprised at your blood glucose readings at the times you
>are "feeling sluggish".
>

>Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

I hope I'm not a T2 in the making, but that's why I watch my sugar- I
don't eat that much flour or white starches. I've never used almond
flour, so I'll try to find some.

My mom is 76, and even though she has no diabetes, I am concerned- she
is terribly overweight and eats so much sugar and starch. She knows
what she's doing is bad, but doesn't have the willpower to stop (she's
very depressed and eats "comfort foods". We both have physicals
regularly, but if a person doesn't have the willpower, what can you
do? I've tried to get her to go to weight-watchers, to no avail.

Thank you,

Karen

None Given

"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
> About my BG level- I've had so many glucose tolerance tests (the 7
> hour one) and it always comes out ok. Just once they said it was low,
> but not low enough to be considered hypoglycemic.

You can be well on the way toward getting diabetes and they might still tell
you you're ok. You need to know the numbers and times of the results to
know for yourself. Having the symptoms you mentioned, I would want to take
action now to avoid a dx in the future, by tracking what different foods in
my diet were doing to my BGs and adjusting my meals to minimize BG spikes.
Every time your BG goes high it could be causing damage to your body, before
your fasting #s or A1c reaches the dx criteria, even before the OGTT reaches
it. I think you have to be 200 to be dx but I feel bad >140 and try to stay
below that at all times.
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/...0Diagnosed.htm

> I just think that since I've been dieting, I got my system used to not
> having sugar, and now it bothers me in some way.

If your diet has been serving to lower your average or PP BGs by reducing
the amount of fast carb you are eating, it is possible that your body was
accustomed to running with higher BGs than healthy and now you are getting
lower BGs and so you notice the difference when you eat the fast carb and go
too high.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

None Given

"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message

> My mom is 76, and even though she has no diabetes, I am concerned- she
> is terribly overweight and eats so much sugar and starch. She knows
> what she's doing is bad, but doesn't have the willpower to stop (she's
> very depressed and eats "comfort foods". We both have physicals
> regularly, but if a person doesn't have the willpower, what can you
> do? I've tried to get her to go to weight-watchers, to no avail.

Take baby steps, start with a high protein breakfast. When carbohydrates
are a problem, morning can be the worst time to eat them, if you have any
foods containing carbs at breakfast make them lower carb ones, like peppers,
onion, mushroom, etc in an omelet or berries in plain yogurt, etc.
Adequate protein in the morning can help reduce carb cravings for the rest
of the day, whereas I found that eating oatmeal first thing in the morning
can actually triple my appetite for the rest of the day.

Also, add more non starchy veggies throughout the day for lunch, dinner, and
snacks. They have lots of water and fiber in them besides the vitamins and
things so they help fill you up. You can prepare ahead of time, carrot,
celery, or other raw veggie sticks/chunks for dipping, a sour cream, plain
yogurt, or cheese based dip, salad greens torn and mixed in a ziploc bag or
large plastic container and have other things ready like radish or cucumber
slices, small tomatoes, cheese cubes, boiled eggs, grilled chicken, whatever
sounds good to be eaten with the salad greens with some type of oily
dressing which helps your body metabolize the nutrients in the veggies.
Fill yourself up with good things and drink plenty of water to keep things
moving and you will almost automatically develop the willpower to reduce the
amount of bad things because it probably isn't willpower that's the problem
in the first place. Just make sure it's as easy to reach for the good
stuff as the bad stuff and eat often enough that you never get to the point
of being ravenous.

Many older women do not get adequate protein, especially when they are
filling up on comfort foods. Getting your mother to promise to add some
things to her diet may be much, much easier than getting her to promise to
reduce her comfort foods. Eating carby comfort foods raise serotonin levels
in the brain temporarily, then they crash again making you want more, I
think the effect is worse in the carbohydrate intolerant than in normals and
can be a factor in depression. Getting more exercise can help with that,
also, maybe you can get your mother to take walks with you, or if mobility
is a problem there are exercise videos available for special needs, the PBS
series Sit and be Fit is one resource. Make sure to consult with her
doctor about any health problems, for example, kidney disease may require
her to keep protein fairly low and go with mostly vegetable sources of it,
heart disease may affect what kind of exercise she can do.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Nicky

"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
> My mom is 76, and even though she has no diabetes, I am concerned- she
> is terribly overweight and eats so much sugar and starch. She knows
> what she's doing is bad, but doesn't have the willpower to stop (she's
> very depressed and eats "comfort foods". We both have physicals
> regularly, but if a person doesn't have the willpower, what can you
> do?

Try a low-carb diet - if she wants to, some would say that she ought to be
able to eat what she wants at 76! It has two great benefits - first it's
appetite-supressing, so doesn't need huge amounts of willpower, and second
it breaks the cycle that often builds up, where you eat something starchy,
your body over-reacts in terms of insulin production, so you get hungry
quickly, eat something starchy... You might find you benefit too.

Of course, checking with a doctor first - particularly your mother - is a
good idea before starting any diet.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/76/72Kg
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Jennifer

Nicky wrote:

> "Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
>
>>My mom is 76, and even though she has no diabetes, I am concerned- she
>>is terribly overweight and eats so much sugar and starch. She knows
>>what she's doing is bad, but doesn't have the willpower to stop (she's
>>very depressed and eats "comfort foods". We both have physicals
>>regularly, but if a person doesn't have the willpower, what can you
>>do?

You say your mother is very depressed.

Depression is a physical / chemical disease. It can be helped by a
combination of medical and psychological intervention.

Perhaps what you call her lack of willpower may be her clinical
depression.

Jennifer

Priscilla Ballou

In article t>,
Jennifer > wrote:
> Nicky wrote:
> > "Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
> >>My mom is 76, and even though she has no diabetes, I am concerned- she
> >>is terribly overweight and eats so much sugar and starch. She knows
> >>what she's doing is bad, but doesn't have the willpower to stop (she's
> >>very depressed and eats "comfort foods". We both have physicals
> >>regularly, but if a person doesn't have the willpower, what can you
> >>do?

> You say your mother is very depressed.
>
> Depression is a physical / chemical disease. It can be helped by a
> combination of medical and psychological intervention.
> Perhaps what you call her lack of willpower may be her clinical
> depression.

Very very true. Inability to get things done or to take care of oneself
is a big hallmark of depression for some folks. Believe me -- I know
all too well what I'm talking about! Your mother needs psychiatric
intervention. Depression is a serious illness and has very negative
effects on the body -- brain and cardiac system among others.

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong

Alan S

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:08:34 GMT, Karen Sexton
> wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:15:46 +1000, Alan S
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 31 May 2005 05:16:53 GMT, Karen Sexton
> wrote:
>>
>>>hello,
>>>
>>>I'm not diabetic, just controlling my sugar intake and trying to lose
>>>weight.

>><snip>
>>>
>>>There is Type II onset diabetes in my family (grandfather) - but so
>>>far my mother (76) and uncle (93) haven't had it. I don't feel good
>>>when I eat sugar, just sluggish, mostly.
>>>

>>Hi Karen
>>
>>I'm sorry to say that, with that genetic background, and
>>those symptoms, I don't think your opening comment will
>>remain one you can make for too much longer.
>>
>>Particularly if you continue looking for good chocolate cake
>>recipes, unless you can find ones that also have no flour as
>>well as no sugar.
>>
>>Have you been tested by your doctor for diabetes? If not,
>>I'd suggest you ask specifically at your next regular
>>appointment.
>>
>>I'll echo NoneGiven's advice. Cheap blood glucose meters are
>>available - let people here know where you live and they can
>>offer advice there. Even if you aren't diabetic, you may be
>>surprised at your blood glucose readings at the times you
>>are "feeling sluggish".
>>

>>Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

>I hope I'm not a T2 in the making, but that's why I watch my sugar- I
>don't eat that much flour or white starches. I've never used almond
>flour, so I'll try to find some.
>
>My mom is 76, and even though she has no diabetes, I am concerned- she
>is terribly overweight and eats so much sugar and starch. She knows
>what she's doing is bad, but doesn't have the willpower to stop (she's
>very depressed and eats "comfort foods". We both have physicals
>regularly, but if a person doesn't have the willpower, what can you
>do? I've tried to get her to go to weight-watchers, to no avail.

Hi Karen

First, on willpower, are you referring to Mum or yourself?
Obviously you can't give her willpower and there's a limit
beyond which advice becomes nagging. I don't have any simple
answers beyond setting her an example and some oblique
persuasion.

However, for yourself, "watching my sugar" is not the point.
My general advice would be to buy that meter, not to get
stressed about it but to give yourself the advantage of an
advance warning if the time comes when you do need to come
back to us as a fully qualified member of the club.

One thing that I've seen repeatedly since joining these
groups is that those diagnosed early in the progression find
it easier to gain some control using diet and exercise.

So, don't become a hypochondriac but occasional tests an
hour after you eat may provide some warning messages.

In the interim, I'd suggest "watching" the starches (flours,
breads, rice, potatoes, corn, pasta, corn products etc) as
well as the sugars and snacking on nuts instead of cakes and
cookies.

Also, congratulations on starting to lose weight - what I
just said won't hurt there either.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Tiger Lily

and to Alan's fine post may i add

eat lots of 'free veggies' which can be found in
my sig file......... go to the web page :-)

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Alan S" >
wrote in message
> [...]

joining these
> groups is that those diagnosed early in the

progression find
> it easier to gain some control using diet and

exercise.

> So, don't become a hypochondriac but occasional

tests an
> hour after you eat may provide some warning

messages.

> In the interim, I'd suggest "watching" the

starches (flours,
> breads, rice, potatoes, corn, pasta, corn

products etc) as
> well as the sugars and snacking on nuts instead

of cakes and
> cookies.
>
> Also, congratulations on starting to lose

weight - what I
> just said won't hurt there either.
>

> Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Karen Sexton

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:24:08 GMT, Jennifer
> wrote:

>Nicky wrote:
>
>> "Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
>>
>>>My mom is 76, and even though she has no diabetes, I am concerned- she
>>>is terribly overweight and eats so much sugar and starch. She knows
>>>what she's doing is bad, but doesn't have the willpower to stop (she's
>>>very depressed and eats "comfort foods". We both have physicals
>>>regularly, but if a person doesn't have the willpower, what can you
>>>do?

> You say your mother is very depressed.
>
>Depression is a physical / chemical disease. It can be helped by a
>combination of medical and psychological intervention.
>
>Perhaps what you call her lack of willpower may be her clinical
>depression.

She has been under the Dr's care for decades and takes
anti-depressants which also make it harder to lose weight, so I can't
fault her- I know what it's like- I have also inherited the gene for
depression and anxiety. On one hand, I can see that at 76 she might
as well eat what she wants- it just makes me feel burdened that she
can't enjoy her life because of her weight.

KS
Karen Sexton

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 05:56:51 +1000, Alan S

Karen S. wrote:

>>I hope I'm not a T2 in the making, but that's why I watch my sugar- I
>>don't eat that much flour or white starches. I've never used almond
>>flour, so I'll try to find some.
>>
>>My mom is 76, and even though she has no diabetes, I am concerned- she
>>is terribly overweight and eats so much sugar and starch. She knows
>>what she's doing is bad, but doesn't have the willpower to stop (she's
>>very depressed and eats "comfort foods". We both have physicals
>>regularly, but if a person doesn't have the willpower, what can you
>>do? I've tried to get her to go to weight-watchers, to no avail.
>>

>Hi Karen
>
>First, on willpower, are you referring to Mum or yourself?

My mother.

>Obviously you can't give her willpower and there's a limit
>beyond which advice becomes nagging.

I know that all too well.

> I don't have any simple
>answers beyond setting her an example and some oblique
>persuasion.
>
>However, for yourself, "watching my sugar" is not the point.
>My general advice would be to buy that meter, not to get
>stressed about it but to give yourself the advantage of an
>advance warning if the time comes when you do need to come
>back to us as a fully qualified member of the club.

I thought about it all last night- what you said about chocolate
recipes. What did you mean- that craving chocolate, even with Splenda
is a warning sign?

>One thing that I've seen repeatedly since joining these
>groups is that those diagnosed early in the progression find
>it easier to gain some control using diet and exercise.

My grandfather was T2 and controlled it with diet.

>So, don't become a hypochondriac but occasional tests an
>hour after you eat may provide some warning messages.
>
>In the interim, I'd suggest "watching" the starches (flours,
>breads, rice, potatoes, corn, pasta, corn products etc) as
>well as the sugars and snacking on nuts instead of cakes and
>cookies.
>
>Also, congratulations on starting to lose weight - what I
>just said won't hurt there either.

I'm trying- you all know how hard it is to lose weight after 50!

>Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

KS
Karen Sexton

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:14:37 -0600, "Tiger Lily" >
wrote:

>and to Alan's fine post may i add
>
>eat lots of 'free veggies' which can be found in
>my sig file......... go to the web page :-)

Thank you!

KS
>kate

Karen Sexton

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:20:11 -0500, "None Given"
> wrote:

>"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
.. .
>> About my BG level- I've had so many glucose tolerance tests (the 7
>> hour one) and it always comes out ok. Just once they said it was low,
>> but not low enough to be considered hypoglycemic.

>You can be well on the way toward getting diabetes and they might still tell
>you you're ok.

Oh great Now I'm paranoid! And all I wanted was good recipes:-)

> You need to know the numbers and times of the results to
>know for yourself. Having the symptoms you mentioned, I would want to take
>action now to avoid a dx in the future, by tracking what different foods in
>my diet were doing to my BGs and adjusting my meals to minimize BG spikes.

Aren't those glucose meters expensive? there are diabteics who can't
afford them.

>Every time your BG goes high it could be causing damage to your body, before
>your fasting #s or A1c reaches the dx criteria, even before the OGTT reaches
>it. I think you have to be 200 to be dx but I feel bad >140 and try to stay
>below that at all times.
> http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/...0Diagnosed.htm

I try real hard to not let myself get hungry, so as to avoid low-blood
sugar- and to not eat a ton of carbs at meals, and try to eat healthy
snacks - somehing with fiber in between meals to prevent lows and
spikes- my husband learned that from a trainer who was teaching him
about working out. That was about 20 years ago- I hope I've done ok-
it's just that when you get older you think- "This is the only body
I've got- it has to last me"...

>> I just think that since I've been dieting, I got my system used to not
>> having sugar, and now it bothers me in some way.

>If your diet has been serving to lower your average or PP BGs by reducing
>the amount of fast carb you are eating, it is possible that your body was
>accustomed to running with higher BGs than healthy and now you are getting
>lower BGs and so you notice the difference when you eat the fast carb and go
>too high.

So that would be good? I don't know what a PP is

KS

Karen Sexton

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:19:34 -0500, "None Given"
> wrote:

>"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
.. .

>> My mom is 76, and even though she has no diabetes, I am concerned- she
>> is terribly overweight and eats so much sugar and starch. She knows
>> what she's doing is bad, but doesn't have the willpower to stop (she's
>> very depressed and eats "comfort foods". We both have physicals
>> regularly, but if a person doesn't have the willpower, what can you
>> do? I've tried to get her to go to weight-watchers, to no avail.

>Take baby steps, start with a high protein breakfast.

Not sure if you're speaking of my mom or I. She knows very well what
she should do and not do- she's just having a hard time practicing it.
She's been through a lot of stress- we all have, emotional, financial,
etc. The trouble is, stress alone can do damage, even more of a
reason to eat healthy.

>When carbohydrates
>are a problem, morning can be the worst time to eat them, if you have any
>foods containing carbs at breakfast make them lower carb ones, like peppers,
>onion, mushroom, etc in an omelet or berries in plain yogurt, etc.
>Adequate protein in the morning can help reduce carb cravings for the rest
>of the day, whereas I found that eating oatmeal first thing in the morning
>can actually triple my appetite for the rest of the day.
>
>Also, add more non starchy veggies throughout the day for lunch, dinner, and
>snacks. They have lots of water and fiber in them besides the vitamins and
>things so they help fill you up. You can prepare ahead of time, carrot,
>celery, or other raw veggie sticks/chunks for dipping, a sour cream, plain
>yogurt, or cheese based dip, salad greens torn and mixed in a ziploc bag or
>large plastic container and have other things ready like radish or cucumber
>slices, small tomatoes, cheese cubes, boiled eggs, grilled chicken, whatever
>sounds good to be eaten with the salad greens with some type of oily
>dressing which helps your body metabolize the nutrients in the veggies.
>Fill yourself up with good things and drink plenty of water to keep things
>moving and you will almost automatically develop the willpower to reduce the
>amount of bad things because it probably isn't willpower that's the problem
>in the first place. Just make sure it's as easy to reach for the good
>stuff as the bad stuff and eat often enough that you never get to the point
>of being ravenous.
>
>Many older women do not get adequate protein, especially when they are
>filling up on comfort foods. Getting your mother to promise to add some
>things to her diet may be much, much easier than getting her to promise to
>reduce her comfort foods.

That's the problem- she has no trouble eating healthy foods- she LOVES
veggies and fruits- but still loves her pastries.

KS

>Eating carby comfort foods raise serotonin levels
>in the brain temporarily, then they crash again making you want more, I
>think the effect is worse in the carbohydrate intolerant than in normals and
>can be a factor in depression. Getting more exercise can help with that,
>also, maybe you can get your mother to take walks with you, or if mobility
>is a problem there are exercise videos available for special needs, the PBS
>series Sit and be Fit is one resource. Make sure to consult with her
>doctor about any health problems, for example, kidney disease may require
>her to keep protein fairly low and go with mostly vegetable sources of it,
>heart disease may affect what kind of exercise she can do.

Karen Sexton

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 17:15:39 +0100, "Nicky"
> wrote:

>"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
.. .
>> My mom is 76, and even though she has no diabetes, I am concerned- she
>> is terribly overweight and eats so much sugar and starch. She knows
>> what she's doing is bad, but doesn't have the willpower to stop (she's
>> very depressed and eats "comfort foods". We both have physicals
>> regularly, but if a person doesn't have the willpower, what can you
>> do?

>Try a low-carb diet - if she wants to, some would say that she ought to be
>able to eat what she wants at 76! It has two great benefits - first it's
>appetite-supressing, so doesn't need huge amounts of willpower, and second
>it breaks the cycle that often builds up, where you eat something starchy,
>your body over-reacts in terms of insulin production, so you get hungry
>quickly, eat something starchy...

That's true...

KS

> You might find you benefit too.
>
>Of course, checking with a doctor first - particularly your mother - is a
>good idea before starting any diet.
>
>Nicky.

Nicky

"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
> Oh great Now I'm paranoid! And all I wanted was good recipes:-)

Paranoid is good, with diabetes. Can you get your last few glucose tolerance
test results, and discuss any trend with your doctor?

> Aren't those glucose meters expensive? there are diabteics who can't
> afford them.

The meters are cheap, or free. The test strips cost about 50c each.

> I try real hard to not let myself get hungry, so as to avoid low-blood
> sugar- and to not eat a ton of carbs at meals, and try to eat healthy
> snacks - somehing with fiber in between meals to prevent lows and
> spikes- my husband learned that from a trainer who was teaching him
> about working out. That was about 20 years ago- I hope I've done ok-
> it's just that when you get older you think- "This is the only body
> I've got- it has to last me"...

Yup, good snack.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/76/72Kg
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
T2 DX 05/2004

Nicky

"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
> I thought about it all last night- what you said about chocolate
> recipes. What did you mean- that craving chocolate, even with Splenda
> is a warning sign?

Some of us understand that craving chocolate has little or nothing to do
with diabetes - switching to dark chocolate, and eating it in moderation,
actually has some health benefits : )

Craving pastries, or potatoes, or pasta is a problem.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/76/72Kg
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
T2 DX 05/2004

Alan S

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 06:01:03 GMT, Karen Sexton
> wrote:

>That's the problem- she has no trouble eating healthy foods- she LOVES
>veggies and fruits- but still loves her pastries.

You'll find that for diabetics there are good fruits - and
dangerous fruits. Your meter helps you find out which is
which.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Alan S

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 05:41:41 GMT, Karen Sexton
> wrote:

>>However, for yourself, "watching my sugar" is not the point.
>>My general advice would be to buy that meter, not to get
>>stressed about it but to give yourself the advantage of an
>>advance warning if the time comes when you do need to come
>>back to us as a fully qualified member of the club.

>I thought about it all last night- what you said about chocolate
>recipes. What did you mean- that craving chocolate, even with Splenda
>is a warning sign?

Hi karen

Splenda is irrelevant in this context. Actually the right
sort of chocolate - 70% cocoa, not too much sugar - is good
for you in moderation. That word - moderation - may
eventually drive you nuts but it's the secret to controlling
this beast. See my sig:-) Extremes and diabetes are
unhealthy partners.

In the recipe you initially wanted, the problem is not the
chocolate, it's the things that raise your blood glucose
levels, the carbohydrates and the sugar. It's not strictly
chemically correct, but I treat sugar as just another fast
acting carb, like flour, potatos, rice and the other
starches. NoneGiven's recipes were far superior to the norm
and very lowcarb. Personally I found that it was easier to
simply use alternatives to cake and cookies - because the
low-carb ones won't always be available to "feed the habit".
You may be different.

As to warning signs, hopefully you will never get any
physical symptoms if you use regular blood tests (whether
home-test BGs, or glucose and HbA1c at your doctor's) to
catch things early if they do appear.

I'm not trying to be alarmist, just cautious. Your genes and
your excess weight are enough to advise you to ensure that
your doc checks your BGs and A1c regularly.

This part is purely my opinion (as was most of the rest:-)
If you don't want to buy the meter (they're cheap, the
strips are the expense) then at least cut the starches and
cakes in your diet. If you like fruit, don't overdo it (high
carbs), berries are the best form, and treat fruit juices as
just as dangerous as sugared sodas.

I know you just came for a recipe - and got a lot more than
you expected. Sorry about that:-)

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
None Given

"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
> I thought about it all last night- what you said about chocolate
> recipes. What did you mean- that craving chocolate, even with Splenda
> is a warning sign?

Cravings can sometimes be the sign of an allergy, not all of them make you
sneeze or break out in a rash.
Whatever, I'm not giving up chocolate, myself, but I'm not eating a lot of
it, either, and it's usually the 70% cocoa type.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

None Given

"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
> >Take baby steps, start with a high protein breakfast.

> Not sure if you're speaking of my mom or I. She knows very well what
> she should do and not do- she's just having a hard time practicing it.

Either one.
Not everyone knows, I always thought a bowl of oatmeal or dry cereal, fruit
and milk was a healthy breakfast, that is what I was always told. It just
drove me to eat more carbs, it was all a lie, at least for me. Eating
adequate protein in the morning reduced my appetite and suddenly I don't
need a lot of willpower and I don't feel like I'm starving all day.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Karen Sexton

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:17:15 +1000, Alan S
> wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 05:41:41 GMT, Karen Sexton
> wrote:
>

>>>However, for yourself, "watching my sugar" is not the point.
>>>My general advice would be to buy that meter, not to get
>>>stressed about it but to give yourself the advantage of an
>>>advance warning if the time comes when you do need to come
>>>back to us as a fully qualified member of the club.

>>I thought about it all last night- what you said about chocolate
>>recipes. What did you mean- that craving chocolate, even with Splenda
>>is a warning sign?

>Hi karen
>
>Splenda is irrelevant in this context. Actually the right
>sort of chocolate - 70% cocoa, not too much sugar - is good
>for you in moderation.

That's what I do.

> That word - moderation - may
>eventually drive you nuts but it's the secret to controlling
>this beast. See my sig:-) Extremes and diabetes are
>unhealthy partners.

>In the recipe you initially wanted, the problem is not the
>chocolate, it's the things that raise your blood glucose
>levels, the carbohydrates and the sugar.

I was looking for chocolate recipes w/o sugar- yes, I know flour is a
carb.

> It's not strictly
>chemically correct, but I treat sugar as just another fast
>acting carb, like flour, potatos, rice and the other
>starches.

So do I.

> NoneGiven's recipes were far superior to the norm
>and very lowcarb. Personally I found that it was easier to
>simply use alternatives to cake and cookies - because the
>low-carb ones won't always be available to "feed the habit".
>You may be different.
>
>As to warning signs, hopefully you will never get any
>physical symptoms if you use regular blood tests (whether
>home-test BGs, or glucose and HbA1c at your doctor's) to
>catch things early if they do appear.
>
>I'm not trying to be alarmist, just cautious. Your genes and
>your excess weight

My "excess weight"? I beg your pardon-:-) I was 20lb overweight
until lately, now I'm only 10lb overweight- just wanting to be able to
wear some cap sleeves before I'm 60 years old:-)

>are enough to advise you to ensure that
>your doc checks your BGs and A1c regularly.
>
>This part is purely my opinion (as was most of the rest:-)
>If you don't want to buy the meter (they're cheap, the
>strips are the expense) then at least cut the starches and
>cakes in your diet. If you like fruit, don't overdo it (high
>carbs), berries are the best form, and treat fruit juices as
>just as dangerous as sugared sodas.

Yeah- I know- I see mothers starting their babies and toddlers on
fruit juice because they don't want to give them sodas- not good.

>I know you just came for a recipe - and got a lot more than
>you expected. Sorry about that:-)

I fogive you:-)

KS

>Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Karen Sexton

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 08:14:24 -0500, "None Given"
> wrote:

>"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I thought about it all last night- what you said about chocolate
>> recipes. What did you mean- that craving chocolate, even with Splenda
>> is a warning sign?

>Cravings can sometimes be the sign of an allergy, not all of them make you
>sneeze or break out in a rash.
>Whatever, I'm not giving up chocolate, myself, but I'm not eating a lot of
>it, either, and it's usually the 70% cocoa type.

The darker, the better. These milk chocolate candy bars, especially
here in the US are so sweet, I wonder how I ever ate them. I swear
they have more sugar in them now than they did when I was a kid. it
completely ruins the chocolate taste.

KS

Karen Sexton

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 08:32:48 +0100, "Nicky"
> wrote:

>"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I thought about it all last night- what you said about chocolate
>> recipes. What did you mean- that craving chocolate, even with Splenda
>> is a warning sign?

>Some of us understand that craving chocolate has little or nothing to do
>with diabetes - switching to dark chocolate, and eating it in moderation,
>actually has some health benefits : )

That's what I've heard- "feel good chemicals" or something:-)

KS

>Craving pastries, or potatoes, or pasta is a problem.
>
>Nicky.

Alan S

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 08:46:26 GMT, Karen Sexton
> wrote:

>>I'm not trying to be alarmist, just cautious. Your genes and
>>your excess weight

>My "excess weight"? I beg your pardon-:-) I was 20lb overweight
>until lately, now I'm only 10lb overweight- just wanting to be able to
>wear some cap sleeves before I'm 60 years old:-)

Sorry - I was going on the info in your first post where you
said:

"I'm not diabetic, just controlling my sugar intake and
trying to lose weight."

Congratulations on the 10lb - I know it ain't easy. As a
mere male I haven't the faintest idea what a cap sleeve is -
my goal is to wear the uniform I wore when I retired from
the Air Force 21 years ago. And I wasn't skinny then:-)

I actually got there - then got complacent, so back at work
now.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
None Given

"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message

> >Some of us understand that craving chocolate has little or nothing to do
> >with diabetes - switching to dark chocolate, and eating it in moderation,
> >actually has some health benefits : )

> That's what I've heard- "feel good chemicals" or something:-)

I found this interesting site, all about chocolate.
http://www.chocolate.org/

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

None Given

"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
> The darker, the better. These milk chocolate candy bars, especially
> here in the US are so sweet, I wonder how I ever ate them. I swear
> they have more sugar in them now than they did when I was a kid. it
> completely ruins the chocolate taste.

Everything seems to have more sugar in it than when I was a kid. A few
years ago I found a spaghetti sauce we liked, then it disappeared. Later on
I found a similar flavor with a slightly different name, same brand, I
suspect the slight difference in taste is due to the addition of high
fructose corn syrup.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Karen Sexton

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:30:53 -0500, "None Given"
> wrote:

>"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
.. .

>> >Some of us understand that craving chocolate has little or nothing to do
>> >with diabetes - switching to dark chocolate, and eating it in moderation,
>> >actually has some health benefits : )

>> That's what I've heard- "feel good chemicals" or something:-)

>I found this interesting site, all about chocolate.
>http://www.chocolate.org/

Hmmm,,, very interesting.

KS
Karen Sexton

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 18:58:11 +1000, Alan S
> wrote:

>On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 08:46:26 GMT, Karen Sexton
> wrote:
>
>>>I'm not trying to be alarmist, just cautious. Your genes and
>>>your excess weight

>>My "excess weight"? I beg your pardon-:-) I was 20lb overweight
>>until lately, now I'm only 10lb overweight- just wanting to be able to
>>wear some cap sleeves before I'm 60 years old:-)

>Sorry - I was going on the info in your first post where you
>said:
>
>"I'm not diabetic, just controlling my sugar intake and
>trying to lose weight."

No offense taken:-)

>Congratulations on the 10lb - I know it ain't easy. As a
>mere male I haven't the faintest idea what a cap sleeve is -
>my goal is to wear the uniform I wore when I retired from
>the Air Force 21 years ago. And I wasn't skinny then:-)

After age 40 it's really hard to lose.

KS

Good Recipes ItsMe Mexican Cooking 1 01-12-2007 07:22 PM
looking for some good recipes to try [email protected] General Cooking 13 07-03-2007 04:14 AM
Chocolate is good for the geezers Victor Sack General Cooking 1 02-04-2006 12:53 AM
Really good Chocolate Cupcakes Tracy General Cooking 7 18-10-2005 12:29 AM
chocolate is good. Frida Chocolate 5 13-10-2003 02:48 AM