Old 29-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Raleighgirl

Default snack foods

Hi all.
I'm newly diagnosed so am reeling from all of the dietary
changes.
The main things I miss are snack foods! I didn't realize how
often
I'd been snacking on crunchy things- chips, crackers, party mix,
etc. So,
what am I to do now?!?! Besides avoid all of those things or eat
just 2 of anything? Celery and carrots don't count.
Does anyone have recipes for low carb party mix (Chex mix)?
Any good crackers that are low carb? I did find "Just the
Cheese"
snacks which are .5 gm carbs. Very yummy but at $1. per 1/2 oz
cannot be more than an occasional treat.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Raleighgirl

Old 29-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Jennifer

Nuts.

Spiced Nuts

You can use walnuts, or pecans, or any nut you like... or mixed.

2 1/2 T butter
2 tsp dried rosemary, crumbled
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne or more or less to your taste
2 Cups nuts

Melt butter, mix in spices.
Pour over nuts.
Spread onto a cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for 10 - 12 minutes.

Let cool a bit. The nuts will not be crunchy right out of the oven, but
they will snap up within 5 minutes.

You can experiment with spices. Sometimes I like to add a packet of
Splenda for that hot/sweet taste... I've also used
ginger/corriander/garlic/salt for an Asian flavor.

Use your imagination... they make great hostess gifts and it ensures
that you'll have one low carb nibble at holiday parties.

Jennifer

Old 29-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Alan S

On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:34:01 GMT, "Raleighgirl"
wrote:

Celery and carrots don't count.

Er..why?

Use celery stalks or strips of carrot as dippers in a good
low-carb dip - a guacamole, or some form of cheese dip. It's
low carb, but keep an eye on the calories in the dip.

I posted this one a while back, but there are plenty of
recipes if you search around.

http://tinyurl.com/calsh

If you can't handle celery or carrots try low-carb crackers
- but again keep an eye on the fat calories too. Crackers
tend to have saturated or trans fats.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Old 30-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Alan S wrote on 29 May 2005 in alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

Celery and carrots don't count.

Er..why?

Use celery stalks or strips of carrot as dippers in a good
low-carb dip - a guacamole, or some form of cheese dip. It's
low carb, but keep an eye on the calories in the dip.

I posted this one a while back, but there are plenty of
recipes if you search around.

http://tinyurl.com/calsh

If you can't handle celery or carrots try low-carb crackers
- but again keep an eye on the fat calories too. Crackers
tend to have saturated or trans fats.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Carrots are a little Carbish...for me.

Try a old fashion salad idea with a twist...
A little vinegar, a little water, some sweetner and a plate full of
thinly sliced cucumber and Diakon radish.

Make enough of the liquid to just cover the veggies. Try equal parts
vinegar and water to start, sweeten to your personal taste...adjust
from there. Some people add a few crushed red chilli peppers. Some add
a dash of salt. You get the Idea.

Put the veggies in the liquid and let them sit at least 20 minutes to
marry the flavours, then eat them.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban

Old 30-05-2005, 01:19 AM
Priscilla Ballou

In article . net,
Jennifer wrote:

Nuts.

And olives. You'd be amazed how many kinds of green and black olives
there are! I find they satisfy that craving for salt and sharp zingy
flavor which is part of what potato chips satisfy.

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong
Old 30-05-2005, 01:34 AM
Priscilla Ballou

Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

Try a old fashion salad idea with a twist...
A little vinegar, a little water, some sweetner and a plate full of
thinly sliced cucumber and Diakon radish.

Make enough of the liquid to just cover the veggies. Try equal parts
vinegar and water to start, sweeten to your personal taste...adjust
from there. Some people add a few crushed red chilli peppers. Some add
a dash of salt. You get the Idea.

Put the veggies in the liquid and let them sit at least 20 minutes to
marry the flavours, then eat them.

Oooh! I call those "fresh pickles" and make them with rice vinegar and
sometimes a little fresh sliced ginger root. Wonderful on a hot day.

Priscilla
Old 30-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Nicky

"Raleighgirl" wrote in message
m...
Hi all.
I'm newly diagnosed so am reeling from all of the dietary
changes.
The main things I miss are snack foods!

I buy large bags of pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds, dry-roast them
until golden in a skillet (I burn them if I put them in an oven!), and then
add salt and spices to taste.

You can make those cheese crisps yourself - google for a recipe. Personally,
I prefer a small piece of Brie or cheddar.

There's always pork scratchings : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/6 Weight 95/77/72Kg
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Old 30-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Alan S

On Mon, 30 May 2005 08:51:13 +0100, "Nicky"
wrote:

"Raleighgirl" wrote in message
om...
Hi all.
I'm newly diagnosed so am reeling from all of the dietary
changes.
The main things I miss are snack foods!

I buy large bags of pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds, dry-roast them
until golden in a skillet (I burn them if I put them in an oven!), and then
add salt and spices to taste.

You can make those cheese crisps yourself - google for a recipe. Personally,
I prefer a small piece of Brie or cheddar.

There's always pork scratchings : )

Nicky.

Hi Nicky

I buy raw unsalted nuts and oven roast them myself.
Something I learnt early - it only takes 8 minutes in a hot
oven for mixed nuts; I'd guess at 3-5 minutes maximum for
pumpkin, sunflower etc.

I don't add salt - to anything. I get more than I need in
the small quantities of processed foods I eat and in eating
out.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Old 30-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Raleighgirl

Thank you so much everyone! I hope to do some baking today
and try out the cheese crisp recipes I found. I anticipate
a grocery trip, too for nuts, pickles and olives.
I knew there would be more crispy things to eat than celery!
Raleighgirl

Old 30-05-2005, 05:19 PM
ms. tonya

(Raleighgirl) Wrote:
Hi all.
I'm newly diagnosed so am reeling from all of the dietary changes.
The main things I miss are snack foods! I didn't realize how often
I'd been snacking on crunchy things- chips, crackers, party mix, etc.
So,
what am I to do now?!?! Besides avoid all of those things or eat just 2
of anything? Celery and carrots don't count. Does anyone have recipes
for low carb party mix (Chex mix)? Any good crackers that are low carb?
I did find "Just the Cheese"
snacks which are .5 gm carbs. Very yummy but at $1. per 1/2 oz cannot be
more than an occasional treat. Thanks in advance for your help!
Raleighgirl----------------------------------------
RESPONSE:
Wasco crackers are good and very low carb. Also tried WaldenFarms 0 carb
veggie dip, also very good just wish I knew how to cloned Waden Farms
dressings.

Old 30-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Siobhan Perricone

wrote:

The main things I miss are snack foods!

I'd give pork rinds (chicharrones) a try. I like 'em a lot. They're salty
and crunchy just like potato chips, and they come in spicy flavours, too.

Also, cheese chips. Here's one thing I do: spray a saucer/salad plate with
nonstick spray, spread grated cheddar cheese around on the plate so it's
evenly covered. Pop in the microwave for 4 mins 30 seconds (the time on
this varies from oven to oven and cheese to cheese) until the cheese no
longer moves when you tip the plate. Take it out of the microwave and drain
off the grease then use a knife or a fork to pop the chip off the plate and
let it sit for a few minutes on a paper towel. This makes crunchy cheese
chips.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"I ain't afraid of your Yahweh

Gluten-Free Foods are no Healthier Than Regular Foods, Study Finds graham[_4_] General Cooking 29 10-07-2015 08:32 AM
NICE FOODS,HEALTH FOODS---------It will enable your life is full ofexuberant energy [email protected] General Cooking 0 28-05-2008 05:31 PM
NICE FOODS,HEALTH FOODS---------It will enable your life is full ofexuberant energy kungfuer[_2_] General Cooking 0 28-05-2008 08:23 AM
Snack Foods Rich Diabetic 27 21-01-2006 08:51 AM
ko- Nabisco Snack Well's Banana Snack Bars ~*~ Bunny ~*~ Recipes 0 13-11-2004 05:14 PM