Raleighgirl

Default snack foods

Hi all.
I'm newly diagnosed so am reeling from all of the dietary
changes.
The main things I miss are snack foods! I didn't realize how
often
I'd been snacking on crunchy things- chips, crackers, party mix,
etc. So,
what am I to do now?!?! Besides avoid all of those things or eat
just 2 of anything? Celery and carrots don't count.
Does anyone have recipes for low carb party mix (Chex mix)?
Any good crackers that are low carb? I did find "Just the
Cheese"
snacks which are .5 gm carbs. Very yummy but at $1. per 1/2 oz
cannot be more than an occasional treat.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Raleighgirl

Jennifer

Nuts.

Spiced Nuts

You can use walnuts, or pecans, or any nut you like... or mixed.

2 1/2 T butter
2 tsp dried rosemary, crumbled
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne or more or less to your taste
2 Cups nuts

Melt butter, mix in spices.
Pour over nuts.
Spread onto a cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for 10 - 12 minutes.

Let cool a bit. The nuts will not be crunchy right out of the oven, but
they will snap up within 5 minutes.

You can experiment with spices. Sometimes I like to add a packet of
Splenda for that hot/sweet taste... I've also used
ginger/corriander/garlic/salt for an Asian flavor.

Use your imagination... they make great hostess gifts and it ensures
that you'll have one low carb nibble at holiday parties.

Jennifer

Raleighgirl wrote:

> Hi all.
> I'm newly diagnosed so am reeling from all of the dietary
> changes.
> The main things I miss are snack foods! I didn't realize how
> often
> I'd been snacking on crunchy things- chips, crackers, party mix,
> etc. So,
> what am I to do now?!?! Besides avoid all of those things or eat
> just 2 of anything? Celery and carrots don't count.
> Does anyone have recipes for low carb party mix (Chex mix)?
> Any good crackers that are low carb? I did find "Just the
> Cheese"
> snacks which are .5 gm carbs. Very yummy but at $1. per 1/2 oz
> cannot be more than an occasional treat.
> Thanks in advance for your help!
> Raleighgirl

Alan S

On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:34:01 GMT, "Raleighgirl"
> wrote:

>Celery and carrots don't count.

Er..why?

Use celery stalks or strips of carrot as dippers in a good
low-carb dip - a guacamole, or some form of cheese dip. It's
low carb, but keep an eye on the calories in the dip.

I posted this one a while back, but there are plenty of
recipes if you search around.

http://tinyurl.com/calsh

If you can't handle celery or carrots try low-carb crackers
- but again keep an eye on the fat calories too. Crackers
tend to have saturated or trans fats.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Alan S

On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:34:01 GMT, "Raleighgirl"
> wrote:

>Celery and carrots don't count.

Er..why?

Use celery stalks or strips of carrot as dippers in a good
low-carb dip - a guacamole, or some form of cheese dip. It's
low carb, but keep an eye on the calories in the dip.

I posted this one a while back, but there are plenty of
recipes if you search around.

http://tinyurl.com/calsh

If you can't handle celery or carrots try low-carb crackers
- but again keep an eye on the fat calories too. Crackers
tend to have saturated or trans fats.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Alan S wrote on 29 May 2005 in alt.food.diabetic

> On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:34:01 GMT, "Raleighgirl"
> > wrote:
>
> >Celery and carrots don't count.

> Er..why?
>
> Use celery stalks or strips of carrot as dippers in a good
> low-carb dip - a guacamole, or some form of cheese dip. It's
> low carb, but keep an eye on the calories in the dip.
>
> I posted this one a while back, but there are plenty of
> recipes if you search around.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/calsh
>
> If you can't handle celery or carrots try low-carb crackers
> - but again keep an eye on the fat calories too. Crackers
> tend to have saturated or trans fats.
>

> Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Carrots are a little Carbish...for me.

Try a old fashion salad idea with a twist...
A little vinegar, a little water, some sweetner and a plate full of
thinly sliced cucumber and Diakon radish.

Make enough of the liquid to just cover the veggies. Try equal parts
vinegar and water to start, sweeten to your personal taste...adjust
from there. Some people add a few crushed red chilli peppers. Some add
a dash of salt. You get the Idea.

Put the veggies in the liquid and let them sit at least 20 minutes to
marry the flavours, then eat them.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban

Priscilla Ballou

In article . net>,
Jennifer > wrote:

> Nuts.

And olives. You'd be amazed how many kinds of green and black olives
there are! I find they satisfy that craving for salt and sharp zingy
flavor which is part of what potato chips satisfy.

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong
Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
Monsur Fromage du Pollet > wrote:

> Try a old fashion salad idea with a twist...
> A little vinegar, a little water, some sweetner and a plate full of
> thinly sliced cucumber and Diakon radish.
>

> Make enough of the liquid to just cover the veggies. Try equal parts
> vinegar and water to start, sweeten to your personal taste...adjust
> from there. Some people add a few crushed red chilli peppers. Some add
> a dash of salt. You get the Idea.
>
> Put the veggies in the liquid and let them sit at least 20 minutes to
> marry the flavours, then eat them.

Oooh! I call those "fresh pickles" and make them with rice vinegar and
sometimes a little fresh sliced ginger root. Wonderful on a hot day.

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong
Nicky

"Raleighgirl" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi all.
> I'm newly diagnosed so am reeling from all of the dietary
> changes.
> The main things I miss are snack foods!

I buy large bags of pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds, dry-roast them
until golden in a skillet (I burn them if I put them in an oven!), and then
add salt and spices to taste.

You can make those cheese crisps yourself - google for a recipe. Personally,
I prefer a small piece of Brie or cheddar.

There's always pork scratchings : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/77/72Kg
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Alan S

On Mon, 30 May 2005 08:51:13 +0100, "Nicky"
> wrote:

>"Raleighgirl" > wrote in message
om...
>> Hi all.
>> I'm newly diagnosed so am reeling from all of the dietary
>> changes.
>> The main things I miss are snack foods!

>I buy large bags of pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds, dry-roast them
>until golden in a skillet (I burn them if I put them in an oven!), and then
>add salt and spices to taste.
>
>You can make those cheese crisps yourself - google for a recipe. Personally,
>I prefer a small piece of Brie or cheddar.
>
>There's always pork scratchings : )
>
>Nicky.

Hi Nicky

I buy raw unsalted nuts and oven roast them myself.
Something I learnt early - it only takes 8 minutes in a hot
oven for mixed nuts; I'd guess at 3-5 minutes maximum for
pumpkin, sunflower etc.

I don't add salt - to anything. I get more than I need in
the small quantities of processed foods I eat and in eating
out.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Raleighgirl

Thank you so much everyone! I hope to do some baking today
and try out the cheese crisp recipes I found. I anticipate
a grocery trip, too for nuts, pickles and olives.
I knew there would be more crispy things to eat than celery!
Raleighgirl

ms. tonya

(Raleighgirl) Wrote:
Hi all.
I'm newly diagnosed so am reeling from all of the dietary changes.
The main things I miss are snack foods! I didn't realize how often
I'd been snacking on crunchy things- chips, crackers, party mix, etc.
So,
what am I to do now?!?! Besides avoid all of those things or eat just 2
of anything? Celery and carrots don't count. Does anyone have recipes
for low carb party mix (Chex mix)? Any good crackers that are low carb?
I did find "Just the Cheese"
snacks which are .5 gm carbs. Very yummy but at $1. per 1/2 oz cannot be
more than an occasional treat. Thanks in advance for your help!
Raleighgirl----------------------------------------
RESPONSE:
Wasco crackers are good and very low carb. Also tried WaldenFarms 0 carb
veggie dip, also very good just wish I knew how to cloned Waden Farms
dressings.

Siobhan Perricone

On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:34:01 GMT, "Raleighgirl"
> wrote:

>The main things I miss are snack foods!

I'd give pork rinds (chicharrones) a try. I like 'em a lot. They're salty
and crunchy just like potato chips, and they come in spicy flavours, too.

Also, cheese chips. Here's one thing I do: spray a saucer/salad plate with
nonstick spray, spread grated cheddar cheese around on the plate so it's
evenly covered. Pop in the microwave for 4 mins 30 seconds (the time on
this varies from oven to oven and cheese to cheese) until the cheese no
longer moves when you tip the plate. Take it out of the microwave and drain
off the grease then use a knife or a fork to pop the chip off the plate and
let it sit for a few minutes on a paper towel. This makes crunchy cheese
chips.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"I ain't afraid of your Yahweh

Tiger Lily

home made pickled beets......... very little sugar
in the vinegar used to pickle them

the beets are carby as well

this isn't something you get to eat a lot of

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Deb" > wrote in
message
.. .
> Aren't pickled beets kind of high in carbs

because of the sugar?

wrote:

> > Oh, yeah! Pickled beets! Yummy, and a good

alternative to other
> snacks!

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Tiger Lily wrote on 31 May 2005 in alt.food.diabetic

> home made pickled beets......... very little sugar
> in the vinegar used to pickle them

Have you heard of Sugar beets...something they make white granular
sugar from. Well the 2 are related. Might as well eat a cup of white
flour.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
None Given

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> home made pickled beets......... very little sugar
> in the vinegar used to pickle them
>
> the beets are carby as well
>
> this isn't something you get to eat a lot of

Do you have a recipe that might work if I substitute sweetener for sugar?

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Tiger Lily

"Monsur Fromage du Pollet" >
wrote in message
> Tiger Lily wrote on 31 May 2005 in

alt.food.diabetic

> > home made pickled beets......... very little

sugar
> > in the vinegar used to pickle them
> >

> Have you heard of Sugar beets...something they

make white granular
> sugar from. Well the 2 are related. Might as

well eat a cup of white
> flour.

common myth that regular beets and sugar beets
(those white beets) have the same carb
content......... i'm talking about a nice ruby
queen dark red beet to eat

everything in moderation

kate

Gerry

From: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/5ada...vegetables.htm

Beets
Serving Size ½ cupAmounts Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 30
Calories from Fat 0
Total Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 55mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate 7g 2%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Sugars 4g
Protein 1g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 6%
Calcium 2%
Iron 4%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Beets used to be only found in salad bars in canned form, and on
European menus, but with the culinary winds changing, this root is now
commonly seen in stateside grocery stores everywhere. This root
vegetable like its turnip cousin has two parts — the edible root and
the edible green leaves.

There are too many varieties to list here, but with more than one type
of beet to choose from, why not try one of each if you get the chance.
This versatile vegetable can be eaten raw, baked, steamed, pickled,
and served as a condiment or alongside soups and entrees.

Availability, Selection, Storage, and Preparation
Beets are available year-round because they thrive in more than 30
states with June through October being their peak season. These roots
come in all shapes, sizes, and colors so try a variety to find your
favorite.

Young beets, about an inch and a ½-inch diameter are fine textured,
tender, and excellent in salads. Medium and large size beets are good
for cooking; very large roots are too woody for eating regardless of
cooking method. Which ever size of beets you choose, look for smooth,
hard, uniformly round beets that are free of cuts and bruises.

It’s best to store beets that have their tops chopped off in
individual plastic bags in the coolest part of the refrigerator. These
should last up to one week. The greens should be eaten as soon as
possible.

Wash and scrub the beets before cooking. Beets peel best after
cooking, so be sure to wear disposable gloves to minimize red stains
on hands.

Make Beets Part of Your 5 to 9 A Day Plan!
Season warm beets with margarine, lemon juice and fresh herbs.
Slice or julienne-cut chilled beets and toss with a vinaigrette
dressing.
Combine with sliced cucumbers; toss with your favorite dressing.
Bake or microwave for easy cooking that retains juices and flavor.
Add beets to salads and slaws for added color.

Gerry

Gerry near Brandon in south-western Manitoba
49° 52' 20"N and -100° 2' 0"W Zone 3 (formerly 2b)
Tiger Lily

we use real sugar in the pickled beets

but it's a very small portion as compared to
'regular' recipes for pickling foods with (you do
NOT want to drink the 'juice' from these pickled
beets).............. mind you........ the kidlet
does want to drink it...... go figure :-)

i'll see if i can find the recipe that uses real
sugar to give you an idea of the
proportions........... (hubby makes this, it's his
flair not mine)

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk
More info: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/
http://www.diabetic-talk.org/freeveggies.htm
I have no medical qualifications beyond my own
experience.
Choose your advisers carefully, because experience
can be
an expensive teacher.

"None Given" > wrote in
message ...
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> > home made pickled beets......... very little

sugar
> > in the vinegar used to pickle them
> >
> > the beets are carby as well
> >
> > this isn't something you get to eat a lot of

> Do you have a recipe that might work if I

substitute sweetener for sugar?

> --
> No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The

Dishes

Gluten-Free Foods are no Healthier Than Regular Foods, Study Finds graham[_4_] General Cooking 29 10-07-2015 08:32 AM
NICE FOODS,HEALTH FOODS---------It will enable your life is full ofexuberant energy [email protected] General Cooking 0 28-05-2008 05:31 PM
NICE FOODS,HEALTH FOODS---------It will enable your life is full ofexuberant energy kungfuer[_2_] General Cooking 0 28-05-2008 08:23 AM
Snack Foods Rich Diabetic 27 21-01-2006 08:51 AM
ko- Nabisco Snack Well's Banana Snack Bars ~*~ Bunny ~*~ Recipes 0 13-11-2004 05:14 PM