Damsel

Default Hiya!

'Tis I, once again.

I'm just re-subscribing to the group because I started behaving more like a
diabetic and less like an idiot about a week ago.

Two years ago, I lost 40 pounds in six months on Atkins. But I couldn't
sustain that lifestyle, gained the weight back, and went in to severe
diabetic denial.

Last week, I told my doctor that the only reason I had had picture perfect
labs was that I was living on 10-15 grams of carbs per day, and that I
needed a medication adjustment so I could lead a little more normal life.

She prescribed Avandia 4mg/am, and my fasting BG has gone from 247 on the
21st to 166 this morning. Still higher than it ought to be, but a very
significant improvement, nonetheless. I also take Metformin ER, 2000mg/pm.

One of the things I'm happiest about is being able to eat oatmeal for
breakfast without gnawing pangs of guilt and failure. I'm not mentally
controlled enough yet to buy a container of loose oatmeal. For now, I'm
using the little (costly) packets, which provide portion control.

Oh yeah! If your eating plan allows for oatmeal, and you wish you could
flavor it with brown sugar, I have a solution. I've been using Da Vinci
sugar free French Vanilla syrup. Tastes very much like brown sugar to me,
and doesn't have that nasty before, during and after-taste that fake brown
sugar has.

Thanks for listenin',
Carol
Type II diabetic, brought on by Prednisone
Alan S

On Thu, 26 May 2005 07:07:35 -0500, Damsel
> wrote:

>'Tis I, once again.
>
>I'm just re-subscribing to the group because I started behaving more like a
>diabetic and less like an idiot about a week ago.
>
>Two years ago, I lost 40 pounds in six months on Atkins. But I couldn't
>sustain that lifestyle, gained the weight back, and went in to severe
>diabetic denial.
>
>Last week, I told my doctor that the only reason I had had picture perfect
>labs was that I was living on 10-15 grams of carbs per day, and that I
>needed a medication adjustment so I could lead a little more normal life.
>
>She prescribed Avandia 4mg/am, and my fasting BG has gone from 247 on the
>21st to 166 this morning. Still higher than it ought to be, but a very
>significant improvement, nonetheless. I also take Metformin ER, 2000mg/pm.
>
>One of the things I'm happiest about is being able to eat oatmeal for
>breakfast without gnawing pangs of guilt and failure. I'm not mentally
>controlled enough yet to buy a container of loose oatmeal. For now, I'm
>using the little (costly) packets, which provide portion control.
>
>Oh yeah! If your eating plan allows for oatmeal, and you wish you could
>flavor it with brown sugar, I have a solution. I've been using Da Vinci
>sugar free French Vanilla syrup. Tastes very much like brown sugar to me,
>and doesn't have that nasty before, during and after-taste that fake brown
>sugar has.
>
>Thanks for listenin',
>Carol
>Type II diabetic, brought on by Prednisone

Hi Carol

If you're interested in low-spike, as against low-carb, have
a look at
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

It works. However, you may be less enamoured of oatmeal for
breakfast if you try a few tests an hour after you finish
eating.

On a different matter, it's possible that Prednisone or a
similar setrioid may be in my future for a different
ailment. Can you give any details on what I should be saying
to my haemotologist if that day comes? It's too late for me
to worry about getting type 2, but I don't need to
exacerbate it.

You'll find a wider audience over at alt.support.diabetes or
misc.health.diabetes.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Tiger Lily

Alan...... i just had to have a corticosteroid
shot for frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) and
it had basically NO impact on me given that it was
a shot and not pills

having said that, i told this same thing to a
friend and he's now on insulin as a result of the
steroid shot he had

you can't tell until it's too late sort of deal

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Alan S" >
wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 May 2005 07:07:35 -0500, Damsel
> > wrote:
>
> >'Tis I, once again.
> >
> >I'm just re-subscribing to the group because I

started behaving more like a
> >diabetic and less like an idiot about a week

ago.

> >Two years ago, I lost 40 pounds in six months

on Atkins. But I couldn't
> >sustain that lifestyle, gained the weight back,

and went in to severe
> >diabetic denial.
> >
> >Last week, I told my doctor that the only

reason I had had picture perfect
> >labs was that I was living on 10-15 grams of

carbs per day, and that I
> >needed a medication adjustment so I could lead

a little more normal life.

> >She prescribed Avandia 4mg/am, and my fasting

BG has gone from 247 on the
> >21st to 166 this morning. Still higher than it

ought to be, but a very
> >significant improvement, nonetheless. I also

take Metformin ER, 2000mg/pm.

> >One of the things I'm happiest about is being

able to eat oatmeal for
> >breakfast without gnawing pangs of guilt and

failure. I'm not mentally
> >controlled enough yet to buy a container of

loose oatmeal. For now, I'm
> >using the little (costly) packets, which

provide portion control.

> >Oh yeah! If your eating plan allows for

oatmeal, and you wish you could
> >flavor it with brown sugar, I have a solution.

I've been using Da Vinci
> >sugar free French Vanilla syrup. Tastes very

much like brown sugar to me,
> >and doesn't have that nasty before, during and

after-taste that fake brown
> >sugar has.
> >
> >Thanks for listenin',
> >Carol
> >Type II diabetic, brought on by Prednisone

> Hi Carol
>
> If you're interested in low-spike, as against

low-carb, have
> a look at

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

> It works. However, you may be less enamoured of

oatmeal for
> breakfast if you try a few tests an hour after

you finish
> eating.
>
> On a different matter, it's possible that

Prednisone or a
> similar setrioid may be in my future for a

different
> ailment. Can you give any details on what I

should be saying
> to my haemotologist if that day comes? It's too

late for me
> to worry about getting type 2, but I don't need

> exacerbate it.
>
> You'll find a wider audience over at

alt.support.diabetes or
> misc.health.diabetes.
>

> Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Tiger Lily

wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 May 2005 07:07:35 -0500, Damsel
> > wrote:
>
> >'Tis I, once again.
> >
> >I'm just re-subscribing to the group because I

started behaving more like a
> >diabetic and less like an idiot about a week

ago.

> >Two years ago, I lost 40 pounds in six months

on Atkins. But I couldn't
> >sustain that lifestyle, gained the weight back,

and went in to severe
> >diabetic denial.
> >
> >Last week, I told my doctor that the only

reason I had had picture perfect
> >labs was that I was living on 10-15 grams of

carbs per day, and that I
> >needed a medication adjustment so I could lead

a little more normal life.

> >She prescribed Avandia 4mg/am, and my fasting

BG has gone from 247 on the
> >21st to 166 this morning. Still higher than it

ought to be, but a very
> >significant improvement, nonetheless. I also

take Metformin ER, 2000mg/pm.

> >One of the things I'm happiest about is being

able to eat oatmeal for
> >breakfast without gnawing pangs of guilt and

failure. I'm not mentally
> >controlled enough yet to buy a container of

loose oatmeal. For now, I'm
> >using the little (costly) packets, which

provide portion control.

> >Oh yeah! If your eating plan allows for

oatmeal, and you wish you could
> >flavor it with brown sugar, I have a solution.

I've been using Da Vinci
> >sugar free French Vanilla syrup. Tastes very

much like brown sugar to me,
> >and doesn't have that nasty before, during and

after-taste that fake brown
> >sugar has.
> >
> >Thanks for listenin',
> >Carol
> >Type II diabetic, brought on by Prednisone

> Hi Carol
>
> If you're interested in low-spike, as against

low-carb, have
> a look at

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

> It works. However, you may be less enamoured of

oatmeal for
> breakfast if you try a few tests an hour after

you finish
> eating.
>
> On a different matter, it's possible that

Prednisone or a
> similar setrioid may be in my future for a

different
> ailment. Can you give any details on what I

should be saying
> to my haemotologist if that day comes? It's too

late for me
> to worry about getting type 2, but I don't need

> exacerbate it.
>
> You'll find a wider audience over at

alt.support.diabetes or
> misc.health.diabetes.
>

> Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Damsel

Alan S > said:

>On a different matter, it's possible that Prednisone or a
>similar setrioid may be in my future for a different
>ailment. Can you give any details on what I should be saying
>to my haemotologist if that day comes? It's too late for me
>to worry about getting type 2, but I don't need to
>exacerbate it.

I took Prednisone for several months (6, I think), to control my asthma.
When I told my allergist that I'd become diabetic, he looked so sad and
guilty. Then he put me on Advair, which is an inhaled steroid. That works
great on my asthma, and doesn't make me gain weight, as the Prednisone did.

If your doctor is reputable at all, they should bring up the probability
that your BGs will run high while you're taking the medication. Even our
vet did that when our dog needed steroids.

You may want to get whoever you see for diabetes to consult with your
haemotologist and perhaps adjust your diabetes medication or insulin while
you're taking the steroids.

Carol

Damsel

Alan S > said:

>If you're interested in low-spike, as against low-carb, have
>a look at
>http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

Jennifer's welcome message! I'm glad that it's so readily available.

>It works. However, you may be less enamoured of oatmeal for
>breakfast if you try a few tests an hour after you finish
>eating.

I think I do spike from oatmeal. I'll run some PPs for the next few days
and see what happens.

Thanks, and good luck with your steroids,
Carol
Siobhan Perricone

On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:15:48 +1000, Alan S
> wrote:

>On a different matter, it's possible that Prednisone or a
>similar setrioid may be in my future for a different
>ailment.

My husband had to take prednizone because of a serious allergic reaction to
cashews and our dermatologist warned him it would cause his BG to go up. So
we went on extreme low carbs until he was off the pills and he walked more.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"I ain't afraid of your Yahweh