Old 30-05-2005, 03:16 AM
Tiger Lily

oh good it's not just me

and i have the same problem with all peppers
except orange peppers (and don'tcook ANY of them
or i have trouble)

same problems your wife has

i wonder what is in the skin that causes it!

kate

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Alan S"
wrote in message
On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:47:27 -0500, Sherry
wrote:

Alan S

wrote in

:

snip

Can't argue with that - individual allergies

are always a
problem for any food item. You've done it

correctly, by
elimination with medical supervision.

Similarly, my wife
cannot eat tomato skin, but that doesn't make

it wrong or
dangerous for the great majority of those

considering
whether tomatoes should be part of their

diet. snip
Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Tomato *skin*? Can she eat the rest of the

tomato?

I always wondered - the rest of the plant is

poisonous (as is the
potato plant, except for the tuber) - when they

discovered that part of
the plant was poisonous, who was dumb enough to

keep trying the other
parts until they found the part that wasn't???

Sherry

She has a unique gastric system (I hope she

never reads
this). Skinned tomatoes are OK, but if she eats

them with
the skin on they just come back up in little

bits for an
hour or two. No discomfort or medical

difficulties, but
rather disconcerting.

So, when making a salad we've developed

techniques for
skinning, like putting the tomato in a mug of

boiling water
for a few minutes, then dunking it in cold water

before
peeling. It becomes just an accepted part of

general food
preparation. Alternatively, I cut the skins off

a cold
tomato for my salad and she has the rest.

So, I understand why those who have a particular

allergy may
tend to see that it applies to all; but that's

no truer than
that carbs will spike everyone - she is

non-diabetic and
loves her potatoes and pasta and never has BGs

above
5.5(100). And we have both been drinking copious

quantities
of aspartame-sweetened soft drinks for over

three years.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Old 30-05-2005, 05:04 AM
Sherry

Alan S wrote in
:

snip
She has a unique gastric system (I hope she never reads
this). Skinned tomatoes are OK, but if she eats them with
the skin on they just come back up in little bits for an
hour or two. No discomfort or medical difficulties, but
rather disconcerting.

snip
Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Well, I guess I can understand that. When my son was really little, I
can't remember what he had to eat for dinner, but the next morning, I
found "urped" olives in his bed - that's all that came back up! Too
weird!

Sherry
Old 30-05-2005, 05:41 AM
Alan S

On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:16:02 -0600, "Tiger Lily"
wrote:

oh good it's not just me

and i have the same problem with all peppers
except orange peppers (and don'tcook ANY of them
or i have trouble)

same problems your wife has

i wonder what is in the skin that causes it!

kate

Hi Kate

Now I'm trying to work out how to let her know she's not the
only one, without letting her know I broadcast her situation
to the world. She also has a problem with capsicum (bell
peppers), but the symptoms are different. Similar to
metformin I'm told.

Hmmmm..

Anyway, I hope I helped in how to peel a tomato:-)

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Old 30-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Damsel

Alan S said:

She has a unique gastric system (I hope she never reads
this). Skinned tomatoes are OK, but if she eats them with
the skin on they just come back up in little bits for an
hour or two. No discomfort or medical difficulties, but
rather disconcerting.

So, when making a salad we've developed techniques for
skinning, like putting the tomato in a mug of boiling water
for a few minutes, then dunking it in cold water before
peeling. It becomes just an accepted part of general food
preparation. Alternatively, I cut the skins off a cold
tomato for my salad and she has the rest.

My sweetie has the exact same problem. Thanks for sharing your peeling
technique!

Carol
Old 30-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Sherry

Alan S wrote in
:
Snip

Hi Kate

Now I'm trying to work out how to let her know she's not the
only one, without letting her know I broadcast her situation
to the world. She also has a problem with capsicum (bell
peppers), but the symptoms are different. Similar to
metformin I'm told.

Capsaicin in bell peppers???? Hmm. That's the "hot" to chili peppers.

"Bell peppers are not ‘hot’. They contain a recessive gene which
eliminates capsaisin, the compound responsible for the ‘hotness’ found
in other peppers."
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=50

Similar to metformin??? How's that?

Sherry

Old 30-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Tiger Lily

you helped in the how to peel a tomatoe

now......... i can eat EVERY other kind of pepper
except for bell peppers (unless they are FRESH
ORANGE ONES)

go figure (urp urp urp)

kate

Old 30-05-2005, 08:43 PM
ted rosenberg

It is nonsense
exhaustive double blind tests have failed to find ANYONE who has
problems with Aspartame.

Many people have problems with caffeine, others have psychosomatic
reactions when they THINK they are getting Aspartame, but there are no
confirmed reactions of any kind, and people have been trying for years.

Gabe wrote:
"Alan S" wrote in message

Do what you like - but the nonsense written about aspartame
is exactly that - nonsense.

Alan,
If aspartame doesn't bother you then use it but it does affect some people
adversely. It is not nonsense. I agree saying that it will cause everyone
a problem is nonsense but to say it will not cause problems in some people
is wrong. Both my daughter and I cannot tolerate aspartame in any form.
We have done diet elimination and every time we add aspartame back to our
diet we have problem. For us we will avoid aspartame. She also cannot
tolerate Splenda so she is out of luck. Very chemically sensitive.

--
"...in addition to being foreign territory the past is, as history, a
hall of mirrors that reflect the needs of souls observing from the present"
Old 30-05-2005, 09:55 PM
None Given

"Sherry" wrote in message
. 97.142...

Capsaicin in bell peppers???? Hmm. That's the "hot" to chili peppers.

Capsicum is the name for bell peppers in Australia

Old 30-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Alan S

On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:53:48 -0500, Sherry
wrote:

Alan S wrote in
:
Snip

Hi Kate

Now I'm trying to work out how to let her know she's not the
only one, without letting her know I broadcast her situation
to the world. She also has a problem with capsicum (bell
peppers), but the symptoms are different. Similar to
metformin I'm told.

Capsaicin in bell peppers???? Hmm. That's the "hot" to chili peppers.

"Bell peppers are not ‘hot’. They contain a recessive gene which
eliminates capsaisin, the compound responsible for the ‘hotness’ found
in other peppers."
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=50

Similar to metformin??? How's that?

Sherry

Regional nomenclature.

The vegetable you call "Bell Pepper" we call "Capsicum".
They are part of the same family, but as you say, they are
fleshy and sweet, not hot.

And I was attempting to be discreet as to the "similar to
metformin". Think about the early stage effects, but on the
GI tract, not on BGs.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Old 30-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Priscilla Ballou

Alan S wrote:

The vegetable you call "Bell Pepper" we call "Capsicum".
They are part of the same family, but as you say, they are
fleshy and sweet, not hot.

And I was attempting to be discreet as to the "similar to
metformin". Think about the early stage effects, but on the
GI tract, not on BGs.

Hmmm. Bell peppers and metformin both can affect me gaseously but in
two different directions.

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong

Old 30-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Sherry

Alan S wrote in
:

snip
Capsaicin in bell peppers???? Hmm. That's the "hot" to chili
peppers.

snip

Similar to metformin??? How's that?

Sherry

Regional nomenclature.

The vegetable you call "Bell Pepper" we call "Capsicum".
They are part of the same family, but as you say, they are
fleshy and sweet, not hot.

And I was attempting to be discreet as to the "similar to
metformin". Think about the early stage effects, but on the
GI tract, not on BGs.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Ah, ok - I was thinking that you had just misspelled "capsaisin" and
was saying that capsaisin was what affected your wife.... Thanks for
the clarification.

Never had any side effects to metformin so I wouldn't *even* begin to
think of GI effects in relation to the drug!

Sherry