Old 03-05-2005, 12:31 AM
EwwHww

RR wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

I love the Diet Rite cola.

Even over Pepsi and Coke.

It is caffiene free and uses Splenda. Tastes great to my taste buds!

Jennifer

Any idea which company bottles (cans) this stuff? Can't say as I've
ever seen it in stores in my area (Southern Ontario, Canada).
The only Splenda sweetened soft drinks I can find are Crush Orange and
Crush Cream Soda by Cadbury Beverages. I'm not big on cream soda so it
really limits me.
Ross
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

It is made by R.C. Cola company, the same company that makes RC. You
remember back in the 60's when it was popular to have an RC and a Moonpie?

Old 03-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Siobhan Perricone

On Mon, 02 May 2005 22:56:43 +1000, Alan S
wrote:

Similarly, don't get too excited about caffeine unless you
are over-indulging significantly.

Alan, Caffeine is a psychotropic in the same class as cocaine. *Some*
people react badly to it. I happen to be one who does. It also does
interact with some drugs and so it is suggested that people stop drinking
caffeinated drinks while on those meds.

Since you're not a qualfied doctor, perhaps you should be a little more
careful about what you tell people to "not get too excited" about.

For me to say "don't get too excited about caffeine unless
you are over-indulging significantly" is hardly dramatic
medical advice.

You could have approached this dispassionately with a
contrary opinion - or with a personal attack, as you have.

What personal attack is that?

I did approach the point I was trying to make dispassionately.

My point was that even "mild" advice such as you stated is still
unqualified medical advice and I *suggested* (note the usage of the word
"perhaps") that it might be better to be more careful about saying such
things in the future. In no part of my post (which I have included in its
entirety here) did I say one negative thing about you, personally. Unless
disagreeing with you and implying by my suggestion that you might have been
less that completely careful is somehow an insult?

I further add that I have not gotten at all personal in my reply to you.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"I ain't afraid of your Yahweh

Old 03-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Siobhan Perricone

On Mon, 02 May 2005 22:56:43 +1000, Alan S
wrote:

On Mon, 02 May 2005 14:06:42 +1000, Alan S
wrote:

Similarly, don't get too excited about caffeine unless you
are over-indulging significantly.

And since you're being snarky about this, I'll point out that this comment
in no way helps the OP but rather answers a question that the OP didn't
even ask through implication. You decided that the OP was ignorant and
needed to be better informed (instead of just answering his question) and
flat out *told* him not to worry about caffeine.

Your entire post was one order after another directing the OP on how to
choose what to drink and why. You didn't ask if he'd been advised by his
doctor to stop drinking caffeine, you assumed he was listening to some
idiot advice about the "dangers" of aspartame or caffeine, when previous
posts clearly indicated he simply didn't like the taste of it, and he
didn't like how he felt when he drank it.

And no, pet, you've not done anything to me personally, my first response
to you was a mild attempt at tilting your windmill. This post is a stronger
go at your windmill.

It is a peeve of mine that people on usenet don't *answer the damn
question*, and instead tend to go off on the OP, pontificating,
proselytizing, and advising. You didn't answer his question at all, you
instead assumed that all of his decisions were just wrong, and proceeded to
tell him so.

So no, nothing personal unless you think my dislike of posts that don't
actually answer the questions posted says something about you (little hint
here, it doesn't), or you think that there's something somehow "wrong"
about not answering the question.

Old 03-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Alan S

On Tue, 03 May 2005 11:14:29 GMT, Siobhan Perricone
wrote:

And since you're being snarky about this,

Interesting word, but translation is not required.

OK. Pax. At least from this end.

You've made your points, I've made mine. We probably agree
on some things, I can agree to disagree on others.

If I think I can assist by offering more info more than was
asked, I still will. If you think that was presumptuous,
you'll probably still tell me. I rarely just post for the
OP, often for the lurkers.

If you want to keep going - up to you. I'm happy to stop
here.

Alan

Old 03-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Jennifer

Maybe you could ask or find out he

http://www.dietrite.com/index.aspx

Jennifer

Old 04-05-2005, 05:25 PM
RR

RR wrote:

Any idea which company bottles (cans) this stuff? Can't say as I've
ever seen it in stores in my area (Southern Ontario, Canada).
The only Splenda sweetened soft drinks I can find are Crush Orange and
Crush Cream Soda by Cadbury Beverages. I'm not big on cream soda so it
really limits me.
Ross

Following up my own post ;-).

I was in Sam's Club yesterday where I found a Nestlé Pure Life product
called Splash which comes in four fruit flavours. 0 carbs, 0 calories,
0 caffeine. http://www.nestle-purelife.ca/engl/home.htm
Thirty two 500ml bottles for CDN $12.73, 8 bottles of each flavour.
The label says it's "Naturally Fruit Flavoured Water Beverage" and in
smaller print elsewhere on the bottle it says "Contains No Juice".
That's tricky.
Rather expensive water but, I seem to have a real problem drinking
straight water and this stuff goes down OK so I'll see how it is after
32 bottles.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:30 PM
None Given

"RR" wrote in message

I was in Sam's Club yesterday where I found a Nestlé Pure Life product
called Splash which comes in four fruit flavours. 0 carbs, 0 calories,
0 caffeine. http://www.nestle-purelife.ca/engl/home.htm
Thirty two 500ml bottles for CDN $12.73, 8 bottles of each flavour.
The label says it's "Naturally Fruit Flavoured Water Beverage" and in
smaller print elsewhere on the bottle it says "Contains No Juice".
That's tricky.
Rather expensive water but, I seem to have a real problem drinking
straight water and this stuff goes down OK so I'll see how it is after
32 bottles.

Walmart also has a flavored water, Clear America, IIRC. DH likes the black
cherry.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Old 26-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Damsel

Siobhan Perricone said:

I've had some success getting my local supermarkets to carry Diet Rite. I
just told them that I don't like aspartame, but I'd buy more soda if it had
splenda, and suggested diet rite. Both of them are carrying it.

Hi Siobhan!

It pays to ask, doesn't it? I found out that I hate Diet Rite. I hope
that that won't be true of other Splenda-sweetened sodas as manufacturers
make the switch. My favorites right now are Diet A&W root beer and Diet
Orange Crush. On that rare occasion when I want a gin and sour, I'll grab
a 12-pack of Fresca.

Carol

Old 29-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Gabe

Diet Rite is caffeine free and made with splenda. It has several flavors
including cola.
"EwwHww" wrote in message
news
Tiger Lily wrote:
Diet Pepsi Caffiene free

available at your grocery........ or ask them for
it if they don't carry it yet

kate

Thanks Kate. At the stores in Fort Worth, the only Diet Pepsi that is
caffeine free uses Aspartame, and I can't have that.

Wayne

Old 29-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Gabe

"Alan S" wrote in message
Do what you like - but the nonsense written about aspartame
is exactly that - nonsense.

Alan,
If aspartame doesn't bother you then use it but it does affect some people
adversely. It is not nonsense. I agree saying that it will cause everyone
a problem is nonsense but to say it will not cause problems in some people
is wrong. Both my daughter and I cannot tolerate aspartame in any form.
We have done diet elimination and every time we add aspartame back to our
diet we have problem. For us we will avoid aspartame. She also cannot
tolerate Splenda so she is out of luck. Very chemically sensitive.

Old 29-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Alan S

On Sun, 29 May 2005 19:56:48 GMT, "Gabe"
wrote:

"Alan S" wrote in message
.. .
Do what you like - but the nonsense written about aspartame
is exactly that - nonsense.

Alan,
If aspartame doesn't bother you then use it but it does affect some people
adversely. It is not nonsense. I agree saying that it will cause everyone
a problem is nonsense but to say it will not cause problems in some people
is wrong. Both my daughter and I cannot tolerate aspartame in any form.
We have done diet elimination and every time we add aspartame back to our
diet we have problem. For us we will avoid aspartame. She also cannot
tolerate Splenda so she is out of luck. Very chemically sensitive.

Hi Gabe

Can't argue with that - individual allergies are always a
problem for any food item. You've done it correctly, by
elimination with medical supervision. Similarly, my wife
cannot eat tomato skin, but that doesn't make it wrong or
dangerous for the great majority of those considering
whether tomatoes should be part of their diet.

My comment was concerning "the nonsense written about
aspartame" attributing most of the world's ills to this
substance; most of the nonsense originates from the
followers of a particular fanatical source. Gradually, the
lie becomes part of general belief.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Old 29-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Sherry

Alan S wrote in
:

snip

Can't argue with that - individual allergies are always a
problem for any food item. You've done it correctly, by
elimination with medical supervision. Similarly, my wife
cannot eat tomato skin, but that doesn't make it wrong or
dangerous for the great majority of those considering
whether tomatoes should be part of their diet. snip
Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Tomato *skin*? Can she eat the rest of the tomato?

I always wondered - the rest of the plant is poisonous (as is the
potato plant, except for the tuber) - when they discovered that part of
the plant was poisonous, who was dumb enough to keep trying the other
parts until they found the part that wasn't???

Sherry
Old 30-05-2005, 12:47 AM
Alan S

On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:47:27 -0500, Sherry
wrote:

Alan S wrote in
:

snip

Can't argue with that - individual allergies are always a
problem for any food item. You've done it correctly, by
elimination with medical supervision. Similarly, my wife
cannot eat tomato skin, but that doesn't make it wrong or
dangerous for the great majority of those considering
whether tomatoes should be part of their diet. snip
Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Tomato *skin*? Can she eat the rest of the tomato?

I always wondered - the rest of the plant is poisonous (as is the
potato plant, except for the tuber) - when they discovered that part of
the plant was poisonous, who was dumb enough to keep trying the other
parts until they found the part that wasn't???

Sherry

She has a unique gastric system (I hope she never reads
this). Skinned tomatoes are OK, but if she eats them with
the skin on they just come back up in little bits for an
hour or two. No discomfort or medical difficulties, but
rather disconcerting.

So, when making a salad we've developed techniques for
skinning, like putting the tomato in a mug of boiling water
for a few minutes, then dunking it in cold water before
peeling. It becomes just an accepted part of general food
preparation. Alternatively, I cut the skins off a cold
tomato for my salad and she has the rest.

So, I understand why those who have a particular allergy may
tend to see that it applies to all; but that's no truer than
that carbs will spike everyone - she is non-diabetic and
loves her potatoes and pasta and never has BGs above
5.5(100). And we have both been drinking copious quantities
of aspartame-sweetened soft drinks for over three years.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.