Member

Default Black currant jam for diabetes

We are a small black currant jam supplier in Ontario and I have had numerous requests for a diabetic jam or sugar free jam.
Can anyone recommend how to make our jam with a substitute or recommend another alternative so we could provide an alternative to someone with diabetes.

Thanks

Russell
Jennifer

Sadly, you'd also need a sub for the black currants.

It's not only the carbs in the sugar, but the carbs in the fruit that
we must be aware of.

Jennifer

camelot wrote:

> We are a small black currant jam supplier in Ontario and I have had
> numerous requests for a diabetic jam or sugar free jam.
> Can anyone recommend how to make our jam with a substitute or recommend
> another alternative so we could provide an alternative to someone with
> diabetes.
>
> Thanks
>
> Russell

Gerry

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:11:24 +0000, camelot
> wrote:

>We are a small black currant jam supplier in Ontario and I have had
>numerous requests for a diabetic jam or sugar free jam.
>Can anyone recommend how to make our jam with a substitute or recommend
>another alternative so we could provide an alternative to someone with
>diabetes.

This is probably a worthwhile project. You probably want to increase
the amount of fruit in your recipe and use some sort of artificial
sweetner. You probably want to check with the nearest Canadian
Department of Agriculture Food Lab for suggestions. Black currants
have a lot of healthful properties that diabetics would find helpful.

You might want to check out some potentially similar products such as
the New Zealand product Keto Fruit Spread Black Currant at:
http://carbolyte.com/product_info.ph...products_id/81
It claims only 2 g of carbs per 1 tbsp serving and says it is safe for
diabetics.

Even without carb reduction black currant jam is featured in some
lower carb recipes such as this one for pork chops from the Mayo
Clinic.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm...71C03BFBA540CB

Gerry

Small Berry Packs Awesome Health Benefits

Black currants, a forgotten fruit in most American diets (but
extremely popular in Europe), may be just what the doctor ordered.
This dark-colored fruit is jam packed with antioxidants, which have
been shown to have significant health benefits. Studies show that
antioxidants can prevent various types of degenerative diseases, such
as heart disease and cancer, as well as slow down the aging process
and protect the body's vision and neurological functions.

Until now, blueberries have long been regarded as the "king of
antioxidants." Research has shown that the black currant has a much
higher source of antioxidants than the blueberry and has three times
the amount of Vitamin C found in oranges. Black currants also contain
significant amounts of vitamin B6, vitamin E, potassium, copper and
soluble fiber. They are rich in phytochemicals called anthocyanins,
which are known for their outstanding anti-inflammatory benefits.
Anthocyanins are the plant pigments that give black currants their
dark color - the darker the fruit, the higher the amount of
anthocyanin and the more antioxidant benefits available.

Source: http://www.aucurrant.com/health_effects.html

Gerry near Brandon in south-western Manitoba
49° 52' 20"N and -100° 2' 0"W Zone 3 (formerly 2b)
Priscilla H. Ballou

Terry Collins wrote:

> camelot wrote:
> >
> > We are a small black currant jam supplier in Ontario and I have had
> > numerous requests for a diabetic jam or sugar free jam.
> > Can anyone recommend how to make our jam with a substitute or recommend
> > another alternative so we could provide an alternative to someone with
> > diabetes.

> Honey or one of the artifical seetners.

Honey? No, that's as loaded with carbs as sugar.

> It really is a case of reducing carbs (and ??) and GI if possible and
> giving them the information.

Priscilla
Sherry

Terry Collins > wrote in
:

> camelot wrote:

<snip>
>> Can anyone recommend how to make our jam with a substitute or
>> recommend another alternative so we could provide an alternative to
>> someone with diabetes.

> Honey or one of the artifical seetners.

HONEY??? AAACK - even a small amount of honey shoots my blood sugars
way up (tested after having a slice of low-carb, high fiber bread with
honey butter on it)- No way would I consider buying anything with honey
in it!

Sherry

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:11:24 +0000, camelot
> wrote:

>We are a small black currant jam supplier in Ontario and I have had
>numerous requests for a diabetic jam or sugar free jam.
>Can anyone recommend how to make our jam with a substitute or recommend
>another alternative so we could provide an alternative to someone with
>diabetes.
>
>Thanks
>
>Russell

I have made a number of jams and conserves, and a cute little lime
marmalade by simply cutting back.... way back on the recommended
amount of sugar. By 1/2 is my starting point for testing.
The finished product no doubt doesn'thave the shelf life it might
otherwise
have, but it sure tastes fruitier.
Please let me know what you come up with.
Best regards from the southern provinces.
Ed WRight