Gumbo

Default Irish Soda Bread

Irish Soda Bread

Caraway seeds and currants add an interesting texture and a bit of sweetness to this traditional soda bread recipe. Since soda bread is low in fat and quite dense in texture, it doesn't keep very long. Serve it warm from the oven and freeze the leftovers.

Number of Servings: 16
Serving Size: 1 wedge

Ingredients Measure Weight
all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons of flour added 2 cup ---
baking soda 2 tsp ---
sugar 2 tsp ---
salt 1 tsp ---
margarine 2 Tbsp ---
currants, dried 1/2 cup ---
orange zest 1 Tbsp ---
caraway seeds 2 tsp ---
fat-free milk 3/4 cup ---
vinegar 1 Tbsp ---
Nutrition Information
Amount per serving
Calories 98
Calories From Fat 14
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholestrol 0 mg
Sodium 327 mg
Total Carbohydrate 18 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 2 g

Preparation Instructions

1.. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare an 8-inch diameter round cake pan with nonstick pan spray.
2.. Sift 2 cups of the flour, the baking soda, sugar, and salt into a large bowl.
3.. Cut in the margarine with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add the currants, orange zest, and caraway seeds if desired. Set aside.
4.. Combine the milk and vinegar; add 1/2 of the milk mixture and stir only until blended.
5.. Turn the dough onto a surface sprinkled with remaining 2 tablespoons flour. Knead about 10 times and shape into a round loaf. Place in the prepared pan.
6.. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Cut into 16 thin wedges.

marriz

We just made this version of Soda Bread but used buttermilk rather than
the regular milk. We also omitted the vinegar.
It was WONDERFUL we had it fresh out of the oven with unsalted
Kerrigold butter,
fresh raspberry jam and tea.
What a great afternoon tea break.
It was lovely and tomorrow will make a marvelous toast for breakfast
with soft boiled eggs and bacon.

Irish Soda Bread MummyChunk General Cooking 4 12-03-2014 03:05 AM
Irish Soda Bread Janet Wilder Recipes (moderated) 0 12-03-2006 08:46 AM
Irish Soda Bread 2 Tim Recipes 0 16-06-2005 02:08 PM
Irish Soda Bread Tim Recipes 0 16-06-2005 02:07 PM
Irish Soda Bread Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 10-08-2004 12:07 PM