Douglas Sur

Alan wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:56:54 GMT, Douglas Sur > wrote:
>

> |> first off - I sometimes say " I think" when I actually know
> |> but lets face it when it comes to nutrition there are alot of opinions.
> |>
> |> Most of what I studied about nutrition before diagnosed diabetic
> |> was from mostly professional body building ( nope never had a body like that
> |> but have looked good from time to time )
> |> When I was into weight lifting I thought of food more along the lines
> |> as a fuel and didn't think of it as turning to sugar as I do now.
> |> in body building nutrition is probably 1 of the most important areas.
> |> if you don't fuel your body right you will not become a champion.
> |> That is basically why I eat the way I do and it is the easiest way I know of
> |> have constant energy.
> |> I eat 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks a day 45 carbs each meal and snack - snacks
> |> usually don't have protein.
> |> breakfast -
> |> 15 carbs of fruit
> |> 15 Net carbs of bran cereal + the nice amount of fiber.
> |> about 10 carbs from milk.
> |>
> |> I believe eating something fast acting like
> |> a fruit will prevent me from having a liver dump.
> |> but I guess veggies is also a good choice if not better
> |> depends on the rest of your diet I guess. something like
> |> bread would take longer for me.
> |> anyway the fuel part.
> |> the fruit gives me energy first and fastest
> |> as I come down from the fruit the bran kicks in
> |> as energy. if there wasn't any bran there or something like whole wheat
> |> bread or what ever
> |> my energy level and blood sugar would go way down.
> |> In short I always time my carbs so as one is almost used
> |> up another one is waiting to take its place.
> |> so
> |> 45 carbs from bread with fruit is not the same as
> |> 45 carbs from bread or
> |> 45 carbs from fruit.
> |> I don't know how much you know about this stuff
> |> but a dietitian is a great starting place.
> |>

> |> Tom
> |>
> |> Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
> |> Your American Diabetes Association
> |> http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp
> |> See My Little Doggies
> |> http://www.gantlet.000k2.com/
> |>

> |What resource do you use to find how "fast acting" a food is? Does this
> |have to do with Glycemic values?
>
> Hi Douglas
>
> The resource I use is my meter, but the glycemic load (GL) is the basic
> indicator. The GL is a combination of the glycemic index and the portion
> size; but that still only gives a broad indication of the effect that a
> particular food will have on a diabetic's body.
>
> Tom and I disagree quite strongly on aspects of suitable diet for
> diabetics. However, you should listen most carefully to the type 1s here
> for advice of this type, not the type 2s like us.
>
> Sugar is just another carb for my purposes, albeit a fast-acting one.
>

> Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
> Remove weight and carbs to email.

Good idea.
Thomas Muffaletto

"Douglas Sur" > wrote in message
> Thomas Muffaletto wrote:
>> "Douglas Sur" > wrote in message

>>>How so? Can you explain further?

>> first off - I sometimes say " I think" when I actually know
>> but lets face it when it comes to nutrition there are alot of opinions.
>>
>> Most of what I studied about nutrition before diagnosed diabetic
>> was from mostly professional body building ( nope never had a body like
>> that but have looked good from time to time )
>> When I was into weight lifting I thought of food more along the lines
>> as a fuel and didn't think of it as turning to sugar as I do now.
>> in body building nutrition is probably 1 of the most important areas.
>> if you don't fuel your body right you will not become a champion.
>> That is basically why I eat the way I do and it is the easiest way I know
>> of to
>> have constant energy.
>> I eat 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks a day 45 carbs each meal and snack -
>> snacks usually don't have protein.
>> breakfast -
>> 15 carbs of fruit
>> 15 Net carbs of bran cereal + the nice amount of fiber.
>> about 10 carbs from milk.
>>
>> I believe eating something fast acting like
>> a fruit will prevent me from having a liver dump.
>> but I guess veggies is also a good choice if not better
>> depends on the rest of your diet I guess. something like
>> bread would take longer for me.
>> anyway the fuel part.
>> the fruit gives me energy first and fastest
>> as I come down from the fruit the bran kicks in
>> as energy. if there wasn't any bran there or something like whole wheat
>> bread or what ever
>> my energy level and blood sugar would go way down.
>> In short I always time my carbs so as one is almost used
>> up another one is waiting to take its place.
>> so
>> 45 carbs from bread with fruit is not the same as
>> 45 carbs from bread or
>> 45 carbs from fruit.
>> I don't know how much you know about this stuff
>> but a dietitian is a great starting place.
>>

>> Tom
>>
>> Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
>> Your American Diabetes Association
>> http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp
>> See My Little Doggies
>> http://www.gantlet.000k2.com/
>>

> What resource do you use to find how "fast acting" a food is? Does this
> have to do with Glycemic values?

for the most part my diet is already established.
with small changes here and there.
glycemic values are very important and easy to find
on the internet. there are simple ways to explain it
to a newbie but posts like that will get nitpicked to no end.
Tom
--
Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
Your American Diabetes Association
http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp
See the Empire State Building Pose with my VTX
http://www.gantlet.000k2.com/
GOD BLESS AMERICA - THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!

Douglas Sur

Thomas Muffaletto wrote:
> "Douglas Sur" > wrote in message
>
>>Thomas Muffaletto wrote:
>>
>>>"Douglas Sur" > wrote in message

>>>first off - I sometimes say " I think" when I actually know
>>>but lets face it when it comes to nutrition there are alot of opinions.
>>>
>>>Most of what I studied about nutrition before diagnosed diabetic
>>>was from mostly professional body building ( nope never had a body like
>>>that but have looked good from time to time )
>>>When I was into weight lifting I thought of food more along the lines
>>>as a fuel and didn't think of it as turning to sugar as I do now.
>>>in body building nutrition is probably 1 of the most important areas.
>>>if you don't fuel your body right you will not become a champion.
>>>That is basically why I eat the way I do and it is the easiest way I know
>>>of to
>>>have constant energy.
>>>I eat 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks a day 45 carbs each meal and snack -
>>>snacks usually don't have protein.
>>>breakfast -
>>>15 carbs of fruit
>>>15 Net carbs of bran cereal + the nice amount of fiber.
>>>about 10 carbs from milk.
>>>
>>>I believe eating something fast acting like
>>>a fruit will prevent me from having a liver dump.
>>>but I guess veggies is also a good choice if not better
>>>depends on the rest of your diet I guess. something like
>>>bread would take longer for me.
>>>anyway the fuel part.
>>>the fruit gives me energy first and fastest
>>>as I come down from the fruit the bran kicks in
>>>as energy. if there wasn't any bran there or something like whole wheat
>>>bread or what ever
>>>my energy level and blood sugar would go way down.
>>>In short I always time my carbs so as one is almost used
>>>up another one is waiting to take its place.
>>>so
>>>45 carbs from bread with fruit is not the same as
>>>45 carbs from bread or
>>>45 carbs from fruit.
>>>I don't know how much you know about this stuff
>>>but a dietitian is a great starting place.
>>>

>>>Tom
>>>
>>>Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
>>>Your American Diabetes Association
>>>http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp
>>>See My Little Doggies
>>>http://www.gantlet.000k2.com/
>>>

>>What resource do you use to find how "fast acting" a food is? Does this
>>have to do with Glycemic values?

> for the most part my diet is already established.
> with small changes here and there.
> glycemic values are very important and easy to find
> on the internet. there are simple ways to explain it
> to a newbie but posts like that will get nitpicked to no end.
> Tom

I appreciate the Glycemic Index. A read about 1/2 of "The New Glucose
Revolution: The Authoritative Guide to The Glcemic Index" book. I think
it is a little too much for me to digest right now. My takeaway, for
now, from the book is try to eat more whole grain starch. White Rice
and Potatoes are bad. When I understand more about carb counting, I can
refine it more by adding in the Glycemic Index.
Sherry

Alan > wrote in
:

<snip>
>|I had Chinese the other night and like a bad girl, didn't do my
>|blood sugar afterwards.
>|
>|A lot of the dishes contain sugar. Ask them to hold the sugar.
>|Yeah, it'll taste like it's missing something, but it does anyway
>|when I ask them to hold the MSG.
>|
>|And just don't eat rice (love fried rice myself)
>|
>|Sherry
>
> Hi Sherry
>
> I presume you also tell them to hold the flour, cornflour, honey,
> noodles, oyster sauce, chinese sherry and any other carbs in the
> dish that may spike you......
>

> Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
> Remove weight and carbs to email.

Well, actually - cornstarch is a slow carb, so that shouldn't be a
problem for most people, not to mention the tiny amount used in
cooking. There was no flour in the foods I ate, well, I take that
back - I did have a spring roll - nor was there honey, noodles, oyster
sauce and I have no idea about chinese sherry, but I doubt that was in
there too.

So we were careful about what we ordered. There are some chinese
foods I love but won't order because of the sweetness or they're
floured - Kung Pao chicken, sweet & sour anything, chow mein (or I'll
insist on noodles on the side), plum sauce, etc.

Sherry
Sherry

"gman99" > wrote in
oups.com:

>> What is the best way to get carbohydrate information on
>> restaurants

> IMO, your best bet is to learn the carb counts in foods. This isn't
> exact but will let you count things up for yourself. For example, a
> piece of regular bread is roughly 15 g of carbs. I try to work in
> 100g units...easier to do my goesinta's that way
>
> It will take time but over time (this is a lifelong endeavor) you
> will get the hang of it.

Uh, all the regular bread I see in the store is 20-25 grams and zip on
the fiber, maybe up to 2 grams. Only the low-carb breads are less
than 15 grams - at least in the store I go to...

Healthy Way makes a marvelous low-carb high fiber bread - about 13
grams per slice with 3-5 grams of fiber, depending on the variety of
bread.

Sherry

Ma˘k

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:00:44 -0500, "Douglas Sur" >
Huffed and Puffed the following into the madness of usenet:

>"Ma˘k " > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 03:33:46 GMT, Douglas Sur > Huffed
>> and Puffed the following into the madness of usenet:
>>

>>>Tonight the transplant coordinator called and asked if I wanted to be
>>>the 2nd backup for a new pancreas. I said no. I am not sure I did the
>>>right thing.
>>>
>>>After reading all the posts today, it seems like it is very complicated
>>>to get Bg into the right range. It's like the diabetes is stealing a
>>>lot of brain cycles from my day. I am more focused on this than work or
>>>anything else. With my pancreas transplant, I took my meds in the
>>>morning then I was off on my merry way. I didn't have to worry about
>>>what I was eating or what my Bg was.
>>>
>>>Unfortunately, the decision is not that easy. There are lots of
>>>downsides to the 2nd pancreas transplant. I wish decisions were easier.

>> what kind of downsides are there over and above those you had with the
>> first transplant?
>>
>> Mck©®
>> Type 1 since 1975
>> http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
>> http://www.diabetic-talk.org
>> http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

>I have been reading some JAMA articles and talking to various doctors. The
>success rate for the 2nd pancreas in the first few years is not great. It
>depends a lot on your surgeon and the post-op care. Another thing is the
>2nd pancreas tends not to last as long as the 1st pancreas transplant.
>
>It is a lot of trouble to get a transplant. If it only last a few years, is
>it worth it? Albeit, the years that you have it life is good. Another
>issue is there is talk about what caused my original pancreas to stop
>producing insulin. The theory is the autoimune disease that eventually
>killed my original pancreas, killed my transplanted pancreas and will kill
>eventually any future pancreas transplants I get.
>
>So the question is should I gamble and get the pancreas transplant and hope
>for the best or should I resign myself to the safe route and become a well
>controlled type 1 diabetic.

If the "talk" is from your doctors in regards to the autoimmune
response that killed off your first pancreas' "ability" to produce
insulin, not the pancreas itself, then you can be tested for the
antibodies that caused the beta cell death.

There is research that shows once the beta cells have been completely
killed off that at least in some type 1s the autoimmune system stops
the attack and may indeed correct itself which is what allows a type 1
after many years to have the transplant and not have to worry about
being type 1 anymore. It's also what allows the transplant of the
insulin producing cells as in the edmonton protocol.

But if you can live with the injections or with an insulin pump, do
what you feel is best for you. I started injections when I was 8, I
really don't know any other way.

Mck©®
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o o)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."

Alan wrote:
> However, you should listen most carefully to the type 1s here
> for advice of this type, not the type 2s like us.

Good advice.
In fact, let me take this a bit further:
DM1 & DM2 are - in many ways - two very different diseases, and to
informally discuss topics relevant to BOTH diseases can be overwhelming
and confusing, especially when you are a nebie.
So why not split mhd into two groups?

Bob
T2/HbA1c 5.6/D&E/Dx 2/98
--------------------------
Quod me nutrit me destruit

Jefferson

Hi Bob:
> Alan wrote:
>
>>However, you should listen most carefully to the type 1s here
>>for advice of this type, not the type 2s like us.

> Good advice.
> In fact, let me take this a bit further:
> DM1 & DM2 are - in many ways - two very different diseases, and to
> informally discuss topics relevant to BOTH diseases can be overwhelming
> and confusing, especially when you are a nebie.
> So why not split mhd into two groups?

Some of the best advice that is directed at type 2s on this group is
by Old Al. He was initially diagnosed as a type 2 but was a LADA and
eventually classified as a type 1.

There are probably many different kinds of type 2s. Different
combinations of genes may promote type 2 susceptibility. I suppose
there would be a need to subdivide type 2s by their genetic makeup.
There are even gender differences when it comes to type 2s.

Frank

Ma˘k

On 20 Jan 2005 03:54:50 -0800, Huffed and Puffed the
following into the madness of usenet:

>Alan wrote:
>> However, you should listen most carefully to the type 1s here
>> for advice of this type, not the type 2s like us.
>>

>Good advice.
>In fact, let me take this a bit further:
>DM1 & DM2 are - in many ways - two very different diseases, and to
>informally discuss topics relevant to BOTH diseases can be overwhelming
>and confusing, especially when you are a nebie.
>So why not split mhd into two groups?
>
>Bob
>T2/HbA1c 5.6/D&E/Dx 2/98
>--------------------------
>Quod me nutrit me destruit

not needed if everyone adds a simple disclaimer to there signature
like you and I do, stating which type of diabetic we are. and
occasionally throw into the body of the post the same admission that
loretta always does when discussing this with a diabetic who is not
the same type she is. she normally says something I am not a type 1
but I just want to say,,,,,,,

the reason being that even though both have many things that a very
different they also have many things that are very similar. and we
can learn from each other, and many type 2s will eventually start
taking insulin and will benefit from the experiences of the type 1s
and other insulin using type 2s.

Unity will help us more than separation.

Mck©®
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o o)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
Thomas Muffaletto

"Douglas Sur" > wrote in message

excuse me while I chop up your post a bit.

> I appreciate the Glycemic Index.

It is a very valuable tool.

A read about 1/2 of "The New Glucose
> Revolution: The Authoritative Guide to The Glcemic Index" book. I think
> it is a little too much for me to digest right now.

I have no comment about the book. but the above is just about
the smartest thing I have heard someone say in a long time.
I think nutrition is too much to digest right now or anytime.
Now, Now I am not saying do not learn, just dont expect to learn
all there is to know right off the bat. To be honest I wouldnt believe
anyone
that told me they know all there is to know about nutrition.
I like to think my life absorbed diabetes rather than diabetes aborbing my
life.
I look at my diabetes as a hobby and in the long run for me this works best.
I am slowly changing myself to become healthier. simple changes so far.
taking the stairs when ever possible instead of the elevator.
walking to the store a few blocks away instead of the one on the corner.
things like that.

>My takeaway, for
> now, from the book is try to eat more whole grain starch.

when I have the will power I prefer to use whole grain rye crackers
instead of whole wheat. I do eat anything I want just not in the amounts I
want
or should i say used to want. I eat alot yes but I dont do it in 1 sitting.
a few fast examples of what i do and what I think.
lets say I have fruit and some whole grain rye crackers.\
if i eat another piece of fuit lets say about 1 hour after eating
the fruit and crackers - i would be afraid of the 2nd serving of fruit
turning to sugar
at the same time the crackers are. If i was hungry I would go with
something
whole grain like the whole grain rye crackers. If i could wait 2 - 2 1/2
hours
I would go with the fruit.

> White Rice

lets face it to me brown rice sucks.
white rice taste nice .
I do eat both but with white rice its harder for me to stop eating when i
should cause it taste so damn good.
brown rice sucks and frankly after about 1/3 a cup ( about what I should
have as part of my meal) I certainly dont want more.
so when ever possible i go back and think about food as nothing more than
nutrition and fuel.
there are so many things to concider when even thinking about a days meal
plan
but at this point for me it comes some what naturally. and I hardly think
about diabetes
unless I am looking something up or posting.

> and Potatoes are bad.

for me sometimes they are and sometimes they are not.
no food for me is off limits unless I am unable to stop eating it when I
should.
15 carbs from a potatoe is no problem for me.
now now lets say if i wanted to be a little extra careful I would look up
the gylcmic
load and index on potatoes and see what is the best way to cook them .
I am not a believer in increasing the fat intake to slow up the foods
turning to sugar.
but I have used that at parties.
you can affect the gycemic loads and index according to how you cook them
and for how long.
you like rice so one thing you can do is look up how to cook rice to make it
the most healthy for diabetics.
it also might pay to try different types. I believe someone mentioned
balsimic rice, I have not looked that one up because
I can not find it.

>When I understand more about carb counting, I can
> refine it more by adding in the Glycemic Index.

try looking up 1 food at a time. start with the foods you eat most often.

I am a 40 year old type 2 diabetic ( 2 years January 29th lol if I remember
right )
I am no longer on medications and have been in the 5% club (A1C) for all but
the 3 first months.
I wish you don't take anything I said as advice as to what YOU should do.
I would never even allow myself to be treated by a doctor on the internet.
the only advice I will give you is work with a dietitian to get a good
start.
and don't forget the follow up visits you will be recommended to take.
basically nutritional needs change from day to day - let alone month or year
after year.
I use diabetes to give me motivation to be healthier.
Tom--
Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
Your American Diabetes Association
http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp
See the Empire State Building Pose with my VTX
http://www.gantlet.000k2.com/

None Given

"Thomas Muffaletto" > wrote in message
> it also might pay to try different types. I believe someone mentioned
> balsimic rice, I have not looked that one up because
> I can not find it.

Basmati rice.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Enrico's Uncle

> "Kat" > wrote in
> om:
>

>>I thought I was the only one who had a horrible spike after eating
>>white rice. I love Chinese food, but everytime I eat it, my glucose
>>readings go right out the window. Fried rice really spikes it. I
>>can eat pasta, but lo mein noodles also spike. Does anyone know of
>>any "safe" (for lack of a better word) Chinese food that maybe won't
>>make me spike? (I realize what works for everyone else may not work
>>for me, but I would appreciate suggestions.)

Eating white rice is like pouring gasoline on my diabetic fire. Brown
rice is just slightly less bad. I might as well eat sugar out of a bag.

I can have one or two tablespoons, (no heaping allowed) of cooked rice
mixed into my Chinese food and I'm OK as long as the sauce isn't loaded
with sugar and thickeners, two things often present in sauces. This
small amount of rice is enough to keep me happy after getting over my
carboholism.

Enrico's Uncle
Type II Dx'd '98
Metformin, diet and exercise
A1c 5.3 to 5.6
Recently eliminated glipizide
low/slow carb at 3 meals
3 grams of moderate-speed carbs hourly between meals as needed
Herman Rubin

:

<snip>
>>|I had Chinese the other night and like a bad girl, didn't do my
>>|blood sugar afterwards.

>>|A lot of the dishes contain sugar. Ask them to hold the sugar.
>>|Yeah, it'll taste like it's missing something, but it does anyway
>>|when I ask them to hold the MSG.

>>|And just don't eat rice (love fried rice myself)

>>|Sherry

>> Hi Sherry

>> I presume you also tell them to hold the flour, cornflour, honey,
>> noodles, oyster sauce, chinese sherry and any other carbs in the
>> dish that may spike you......

>> Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
>> Remove weight and carbs to email.

>Well, actually - cornstarch is a slow carb, so that shouldn't be a
>problem for most people, not to mention the tiny amount used in
>cooking.

Raw cornstarch might be slow, but if it is in long enough
to get thoroughly soaked, even if not cooked, it becomes
a fast carb. Any starch has this property.
Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558
Douglas Sur

Ma˘k wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:00:44 -0500, "Douglas Sur" >
> Huffed and Puffed the following into the madness of usenet:
>

>>"Ma˘k " > wrote in message
. ..

>>>On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 03:33:46 GMT, Douglas Sur > Huffed
>>>and Puffed the following into the madness of usenet:

>>>what kind of downsides are there over and above those you had with the
>>>first transplant?
>>>
>>>Mck©®
>>>Type 1 since 1975
>>>http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
>>>http://www.diabetic-talk.org
>>>http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

>>I have been reading some JAMA articles and talking to various doctors. The
>>success rate for the 2nd pancreas in the first few years is not great. It
>>depends a lot on your surgeon and the post-op care. Another thing is the
>>2nd pancreas tends not to last as long as the 1st pancreas transplant.
>>
>>It is a lot of trouble to get a transplant. If it only last a few years, is
>>it worth it? Albeit, the years that you have it life is good. Another
>>issue is there is talk about what caused my original pancreas to stop
>>producing insulin. The theory is the autoimune disease that eventually
>>killed my original pancreas, killed my transplanted pancreas and will kill
>>eventually any future pancreas transplants I get.
>>
>>So the question is should I gamble and get the pancreas transplant and hope
>>for the best or should I resign myself to the safe route and become a well
>>controlled type 1 diabetic.
>>

> If the "talk" is from your doctors in regards to the autoimmune
> response that killed off your first pancreas' "ability" to produce
> insulin, not the pancreas itself, then you can be tested for the
> antibodies that caused the beta cell death.
>
> There is research that shows once the beta cells have been completely
> killed off that at least in some type 1s the autoimmune system stops
> the attack and may indeed correct itself which is what allows a type 1
> after many years to have the transplant and not have to worry about
> being type 1 anymore. It's also what allows the transplant of the
> insulin producing cells as in the edmonton protocol.
>
> But if you can live with the injections or with an insulin pump, do
> what you feel is best for you. I started injections when I was 8, I
> really don't know any other way.
>
> Mck©®
> Type 1 since 1975
> http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
> http://www.diabetic-talk.org
> http://www.insulin-pumpers.org
>

> "To announce that there must be no criticism of the
> President, or that we are to stand by the President
> right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
> but is morally treasonable to the American public."
> ...Theodore Roosevelt
>
> (o o)
> --ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------
>
> "I don't know half of you
> half as well as I should like;
> and I like less than half of you
> half as well as you deserve."

Do you know where I can read more about this?
Tiger Lily

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/islets/trans/edmonton.htm

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Douglas Sur" <.net> wrote in message ...
> Ma˘k wrote:
>> It's also what allows the transplant of the
> > insulin producing cells as in the edmonton protocol.

> Do you know where I can read more about this?

Douglas Sur

Tiger Lily wrote:
> http://www.diabetes.org.uk/islets/trans/edmonton.htm

Oh islet transplants. Yeah, I looked into that. I spoke with some NIH
(http://www.nih.gov) doctors who ran some islet protocols. This
technology is still in it's infancy. There are lots of problems with
this technology still. I dropped this as a viable solution for myself.
I don't like being on the bleeding edge of medical technology.
W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes None Given > wrote:
: "Thomas Muffaletto" > wrote in message
: ...
: > it also might pay to try different types. I believe someone mentioned
: > balsimic rice, I have not looked that one up because
: > I can not find it.

: Basmati rice.

: --
: No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

About potatoes- the little red new potatoes seem to spike less than the
larger brown ones. something about the structure of the starch molecules
being different. If yu like potatoes, it is worth a try, but follow
Jehhifer's advice and test after eatign them to see what they do to you.
You might well be able ultimately, to adjust your insulin amount to
accomodate them.

Wendy- After reading Madison's posts, I am ashamed of my poor typing:-)
That kid is terrific!

Ma˘k

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:53:25 GMT, Douglas Sur > Huffed
and Puffed the following into the madness of usenet:

>> If the "talk" is from your doctors in regards to the autoimmune
>> response that killed off your first pancreas' "ability" to produce
>> insulin, not the pancreas itself, then you can be tested for the
>> antibodies that caused the beta cell death.
>>
>> There is research that shows once the beta cells have been completely
>> killed off that at least in some type 1s the autoimmune system stops
>> the attack and may indeed correct itself which is what allows a type 1
>> after many years to have the transplant and not have to worry about
>> being type 1 anymore. It's also what allows the transplant of the
>> insulin producing cells as in the edmonton protocol.
>>
>> But if you can live with the injections or with an insulin pump, do
>> what you feel is best for you. I started injections when I was 8, I
>> really don't know any other way.
>>
>> Mck©®
>> Type 1 since 1975
>> http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
>> http://www.diabetic-talk.org
>> http://www.insulin-pumpers.org
>>

>> "To announce that there must be no criticism of the
>> President, or that we are to stand by the President
>> right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
>> but is morally treasonable to the American public."
>> ...Theodore Roosevelt
>>
>> (o o)
>> --ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------
>>
>> "I don't know half of you
>> half as well as I should like;
>> and I like less than half of you
>> half as well as you deserve."

>Do you know where I can read more about this?

pub med may have the articles, you can search through their archives
for free.

Mck©®
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o o)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
Nicky

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> About potatoes- the little red new potatoes seem to spike less than the
> larger brown ones. something about the structure of the starch molecules
> being different.

There's been a lot of noise on the news here about a kind called Adora, that
are allegedly lower in calories than regular potatoes. They haven't given
the carb count, irritatingly, but I might try them in the summer!

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.7/<6 Weight 95/79/72Kg
1g Metformin, 75ug Thyroxine

Julie Bove

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> There's been a lot of noise on the news here about a kind called Adora,

that
> are allegedly lower in calories than regular potatoes. They haven't given
> the carb count, irritatingly, but I might try them in the summer!

I've read that they've come up with a lower carb potato. Here is a link:

http://www.carbwire.com/2004/05/31/low-carb-potatoes

Haven't seen it in the stores yet though.

--
See my webpage:

Priscilla H. Ballou

"W. Baker" wrote:

> About potatoes- the little red new potatoes seem to spike less than the
> larger brown ones. something about the structure of the starch molecules
> being different. If yu like potatoes, it is worth a try, but follow
> Jehhifer's advice and test after eatign them to see what they do to you.
> You might well be able ultimately, to adjust your insulin amount to
> accomodate them.

Yes, on the red potatoes, and I've also found that I can eat baked
potato skins without a nasty spike. I have to discard most of the
interior of the baked potato, but baked potato skin "envelopes" with a
pat of butter in them has always been one of my favorite treats, so I've
been very happy to discover that I can still eat them along with
meat/fish and a nice helping of veg.

Priscilla
djlemo

My wife is diabetic and we found that the Calorie King book to be the
best source of reference information. We end up eating out quite often
due to our travels so we found this book to be invaluable. It provides
carbs, calories and fat stats for a ton of restraunts and foods.
Enjoy. It also comes in a pocket guide version to fit in the glove
box.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...&link_code=as1

Jefferson wrote:
> Hi Bob:
> > Alan wrote:
> >
> >>However, you should listen most carefully to the type 1s here
> >>for advice of this type, not the type 2s like us.

> > Good advice.
> > In fact, let me take this a bit further:
> > DM1 & DM2 are - in many ways - two very different diseases, and to
> > informally discuss topics relevant to BOTH diseases can be

overwhelming
> > and confusing, especially when you are a nebie.
> > So why not split mhd into two groups?

> Some of the best advice that is directed at type 2s on this group is
> by Old Al. He was initially diagnosed as a type 2 but was a LADA and
> eventually classified as a type 1.
>
> There are probably many different kinds of type 2s.

That's because type 2 is not a disease per se but a sugar processing
deficiency that affects every individual differently, much so because
every individual responds to it differently.

Different
> combinations of genes may promote type 2 susceptibility.

I suspect different combinations of food groups play a much larger role
in this promotion than different combinations of genes...

Bob
T2/HbA1c 5.6/D&E/Dx 2/98
-------------------------------------
Wisdom sets bounds even to knowledge.
--Nietzsche

None Given

"Shawn Hearn" > wrote in message
> Since I was diagnosed as diabetic three months ago, I find that eating
> out is often a challenge, but its not a big deal either. Just stick with
> a salad and a low-carb vegies with a main course meat, chicken, or fish
> dish and you should be fine. Unless you are severely sensitive to carbs,
> I wouldn't worry about counting carbs while eating out if you only eat
> out ocassionally. Just eye ball it and you should be fine.

As a type 1 Douglas need to know the carb count in order to shoot the
correct amount of insulin.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Carb Counting - Vegetables Ozgirl Diabetic 1 15-12-2005 04:44 PM
Carb Counting - Beans & Legumes Ozgirl Diabetic 0 15-12-2005 07:34 AM
Carb Counting - Grains Ozgirl Diabetic 0 15-12-2005 07:30 AM
Carb Counting - Fruits Ozgirl Diabetic 0 15-12-2005 06:48 AM
new diabetic question - restaurant carb counting Douglas Sur Diabetic 0 18-01-2005 04:35 AM