Chuck

Default Looking for low budget meals...

I am a single male, looking for a good tasting low budget meal. Cannot
have fish, mushrooms, or anything pickled. I think I got screwed in the
Gene pool...:P
Julie Bove

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> I am a single male, looking for a good tasting low budget meal. Cannot
> have fish, mushrooms, or anything pickled. I think I got screwed in the

What kind of diet are you on? Are you looking for recipes? Or pre-made
meals?

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> I am a single male, looking for a good tasting low budget meal. Cannot
> have fish, mushrooms, or anything pickled. I think I got screwed in the

What kind of diet are you on? Are you looking for recipes? Or pre-made
meals?

--
See my webpage:

Chuck

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Chuck" > wrote in message
>
>>I am a single male, looking for a good tasting low budget meal. Cannot
>>have fish, mushrooms, or anything pickled. I think I got screwed in the

> What kind of diet are you on? Are you looking for recipes? Or pre-made
> meals?

Well, I am trying to get low carb meals. I used to have the old Mac and
cheese and such, but man is pasta carbbie. Recipies or premade meals
are both fine.
Chuck

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Chuck" > wrote in message
>
>>I am a single male, looking for a good tasting low budget meal. Cannot
>>have fish, mushrooms, or anything pickled. I think I got screwed in the

> What kind of diet are you on? Are you looking for recipes? Or pre-made
> meals?

Well, I am trying to get low carb meals. I used to have the old Mac and
cheese and such, but man is pasta carbbie. Recipies or premade meals
are both fine.

Chuck

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Chuck" > wrote in message
>
>>I am a single male, looking for a good tasting low budget meal. Cannot
>>have fish, mushrooms, or anything pickled. I think I got screwed in the

> What kind of diet are you on? Are you looking for recipes? Or pre-made
> meals?

Well, I am trying to get low carb meals. I used to have the old Mac and
cheese and such, but man is pasta carbbie. Recipies or premade meals
are both fine.
Julie Bove

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > "Chuck" > wrote in message
> >
> >>I am a single male, looking for a good tasting low budget meal. Cannot
> >>have fish, mushrooms, or anything pickled. I think I got screwed in the

> > What kind of diet are you on? Are you looking for recipes? Or pre-made
> > meals?
> >

> Well, I am trying to get low carb meals. I used to have the old Mac and
> cheese and such, but man is pasta carbbie. Recipies or premade meals
> are both fine.

I eat a lot of salads. You can make a bed of greens then top it with a
large tomato, cut into a flower shape. To do this, make cuts from the top
to the bottom, cutting not quite all the way through. Spread the cut pieces
open so you can fill it. Good fillings are turkey salad, chicken salad, egg
salad, or cottage cheese.

If you can get fresh mozzarella where you live, alternate slices of that
with slices of tomato and pieces of fresh basil. Drizzle with olive oil and
balsamic vinegar. If you can't have the vinegar, then use a bit of lemon
juice instead. Lightly steamed green beans and slices of red onion are a
good addition to this dish as well. If you can't get the fresh mozzarella,
a similar salad can be made using whatever cheese you like. Use whatever
dressing you like and vary the herbs, using chives or any other herbs that
you find tasty.

Spinach salad is easy to make. Use well washed fresh spinach, then toss
with chopped or sliced boiled egg, tomatoes, cheese, and bacon.

Lasagna can be made using sautéed zucchini instead of pasta. Or you can
make a fancy looking dish called Eggplant Rollatine. Slice the eggplant
lengthwise, about 1/4" thick. Then sauté in olive oil until it begins to
soften. Or if you want to use less fat, spray or lightly coat with olive
oil and bake until soft. Make a filling of Ricotta cheese, stiffened up a
bit with a beaten egg or two. The egg will help prevent the cheese from
getting too runny as it bakes. You can add some parmesan or any other
Italian cheeses you like to the ricotta. I also like to add a bit of
chopped spinach or parsley. Take some tomato sauce (homemade, canned or
jarred) and spread a thin amount in a baking dish. Put a spoonful of the
ricotta filling on each slice of eggplant and roll up. How much filling you
use depends on the size of your slices, but you don't want so much that you
have a sloppy mess. Lay your rolls in the baking dish, leaving a bit of
space between them, then top with more sauce. Make sure to cover them well
with the sauce so they don't dry out. Add additional cheese such as
parmesan or asiago. Bake until heated through and the cheese is bubbly.

Eggs can be scrambled or baked in the oven adding whatever vegetables you
like. You can also add cheese or meat. Bacon, sausage and ham are good
choices.

Pot Roast is another inexpensive meal because you can use a cheap cut of
meat and cook it all day. I like to do mine in the crockpot along with
onions, celery, carrots, and bell peppers. I add a small can of tomato
sauce and a spoonful of steak sauce for additional flavor.

If you have a favorite casserole recipe, you can make it less carby by
adding green or yellow beans in lieu of or in place of some of the pasta,
rice, potatoes, etc. I find that the beans tend to blend right into the
sauce and they mix quite well with pasta. Plus they are my daughter's
favorite vegetable so she usually likes anything they are in.

Cottage or Shepard's Pie can be easily made with cooked ground beef or
whatever leftover cooked meat you have. Mix in whatever non-starchy
vegetables you like (cook them first), then mix in a can of creamed soup or
some leftover gravy. Top with a very thin layer of mashed potatoes and some
shredded cheese. Bake until heated through and the cheese is bubbly. I
love potatoes and can usually eat them with no problem. But if I'm having a
day when I must do low carb this is a way where I can still get some
potatoes because the amount per serving is so small. There is also a recipe
some people use for faux-tatoes that uses cauliflower. I haven't tried this
because I don't much care for cauliflower. But I've found I can tolerate it
in small amounts if mixed into a casserole or soup.

Here is a link to low carb recipes. They're not all budget recipes, but you
can get some ideas he

http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/Cookbook/Meat.html

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> [...]

Cottage or Shepard's Pie can be easily made with cooked ground beef or
whatever leftover cooked meat you have. Mix in whatever non-starchy
vegetables you like (cook them first), then mix in a can of creamed soup or
some leftover gravy. Top with a very thin layer of mashed potatoes and some
shredded cheese. Bake until heated through and the cheese is bubbly. I
love potatoes and can usually eat them with no problem. But if I'm having a
day when I must do low carb this is a way where I can still get some
potatoes because the amount per serving is so small. There is also a recipe
some people use for faux-tatoes that uses cauliflower. I haven't tried this
because I don't much care for cauliflower. But I've found I can tolerate it
in small amounts if mixed into a casserole or soup.

Here is a link to low carb recipes. They're not all budget recipes, but you

None Given

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> If you have a favorite casserole recipe, you can make it less carby by
> adding green or yellow beans in lieu of or in place of some of the pasta,
> rice, potatoes, etc. I find that the beans tend to blend right into the
> sauce and they mix quite well with pasta.

I never would have thought of that. I cut some low carb tortillas into
pieces to substitute for pasta in my chicken casserole the other day, but
that was DH's idea. I did think to switch to extra green beans instead of
corn in my venison stew.

None Given

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> If you have a favorite casserole recipe, you can make it less carby by
> adding green or yellow beans in lieu of or in place of some of the pasta,
> rice, potatoes, etc. I find that the beans tend to blend right into the
> sauce and they mix quite well with pasta.

I never would have thought of that. I cut some low carb tortillas into
pieces to substitute for pasta in my chicken casserole the other day, but
that was DH's idea. I did think to switch to extra green beans instead of
corn in my venison stew.

Julie Bove

"None Given" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > If you have a favorite casserole recipe, you can make it less carby by
> > adding green or yellow beans in lieu of or in place of some of the

pasta,
> > rice, potatoes, etc. I find that the beans tend to blend right into the
> > sauce and they mix quite well with pasta.

> I never would have thought of that. I cut some low carb tortillas into
> pieces to substitute for pasta in my chicken casserole the other day, but
> that was DH's idea. I did think to switch to extra green beans instead

of
> corn in my venison stew.

I have my daughter to thank for that. When she was a toddler, she insisted
on green or wax beans at every meal. I could serve two other vegetables,
but she still needed her beans! So I started adding them to a variety of
things and they work quite well. I used to look for sales on beans because
she ate so many of them. Black olives are another thing she can't live
without, but she only likes them straight from the can. I've tried putting
those in certain cooked foods and she doesn't like them in there. Now she
wants squash. We got a Delica squash a few weeks ago in our box of organic
produce. She loved it and has been hoping each week that we'll get another
one. I did get a Butternut squash in yesterday's box, but the box came late
and there was no time to cook it for dinner. When I showed it to her, her
eyes bugged out and she said, "What?! And you didn't COOK it!?" Too bad
for her we had enough pasta leftover from last night's dinner. No squash
tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

--
See my webpage:

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
"None Given" > wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > If you have a favorite casserole recipe, you can make it less carby by
> > adding green or yellow beans in lieu of or in place of some of the pasta,
> > rice, potatoes, etc. I find that the beans tend to blend right into the
> > sauce and they mix quite well with pasta.

> I never would have thought of that. I cut some low carb tortillas into
> pieces to substitute for pasta in my chicken casserole the other day, but
> that was DH's idea. I did think to switch to extra green beans instead of
> corn in my venison stew.

When I was more stringently low-carbing, I'd put things like beef
stroganov on top of french cut green beans. For a while there I had a
sig which said something like: "Green beans are the new noodles."

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
Julie Bove

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message

> When I was more stringently low-carbing, I'd put things like beef
> stroganov on top of french cut green beans. For a while there I had a
> sig which said something like: "Green beans are the new noodles."

I like those in chicken broth for a quick soup.

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message

> When I was more stringently low-carbing, I'd put things like beef
> stroganov on top of french cut green beans. For a while there I had a
> sig which said something like: "Green beans are the new noodles."

I like those in chicken broth for a quick soup.

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove

<Alan > wrote in message

<snip>

> He didn't say he wanted low-carbs. They don't taste so bad for what I
> call "factory food". I wouldn't like it if something I cooked tasted

that
> way, but, for example, in the winter I use Uncle Ben's Bowl meals for
> lunch. While it isn't low carb, it total intake is small enough that I'm
> not overwhelmed by carbs.

Actually, he did in his reply to me. The one where I asked him what kind of
diet he was on and whether he was looking for pre-made meals or recipes.
I've heard those rice bowls were good, but far too many carbs for me. And I
don't do low carb!

> They include meat (chicken, usually) some veggies, and too much noodles or
> rice. However, they taste OK, and are a way for me to eat a "balanced"
> lunch instead of something much worse for me, like a candy bar, or chips.
>
> I understand your criticism, but for people who don't want to assemble and
> cook a meal, these things have their uses, and 5 minutes in a microwave
> makes it a lunch!

I used to eat frozen stuff sometimes when I was working. And I still have
to do it occasionally now. Unfortunately, when I do find something that
actually tastes good, they seem to take it off the market. I see that they
have put the Linda McCartney vegetarian meals back in the freezer section.
They are being marketed as a new item. I remember eating them back in the
'80s. They were one frozen meal I really liked. The new ones are different
varieties and too many carbs for me now.

--
See my webpage:

Chuck

Julie Bove wrote:

> <Alan > wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
>>He didn't say he wanted low-carbs. They don't taste so bad for what I
>>call "factory food". I wouldn't like it if something I cooked tasted

> that
>
>>way, but, for example, in the winter I use Uncle Ben's Bowl meals for
>>lunch. While it isn't low carb, it total intake is small enough that I'm
>>not overwhelmed by carbs.

> Actually, he did in his reply to me. The one where I asked him what kind of
> diet he was on and whether he was looking for pre-made meals or recipes.
> I've heard those rice bowls were good, but far too many carbs for me. And I
> don't do low carb!
>
>>They include meat (chicken, usually) some veggies, and too much noodles or
>>rice. However, they taste OK, and are a way for me to eat a "balanced"
>>lunch instead of something much worse for me, like a candy bar, or chips.
>>
>>I understand your criticism, but for people who don't want to assemble and
>>cook a meal, these things have their uses, and 5 minutes in a microwave
>>makes it a lunch!

> I used to eat frozen stuff sometimes when I was working. And I still have
> to do it occasionally now. Unfortunately, when I do find something that
> actually tastes good, they seem to take it off the market. I see that they
> have put the Linda McCartney vegetarian meals back in the freezer section.
> They are being marketed as a new item. I remember eating them back in the
> '80s. They were one frozen meal I really liked. The new ones are different
> varieties and too many carbs for me now.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I have some shopping to do. One
thing I do make, though I can't eat all the time, is stirfried veggies.
The only thing I keep out is onions. As I am afflicted with IBS those
and corn tend to really aggrivate it. (IBS means Irritated Bowel Syndrome)