FoodBanter.com

-   -   Wanted: Recipe Cranberry Sauce (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/45222-wanted-recipe-cranberry-sauce.html)

BJ in Texas 22-11-2004 07:48 PM

Wanted: Recipe Cranberry Sauce

Looking for a DM freindly Cranberry Sauce Recipe.
Can anyone help?

BJ in Texas
Address munged, make the obvious change.

Priscilla Ballou 22-11-2004 08:18 PM

In article > ,
"BJ in Texas" > wrote:

> Looking for a DM freindly Cranberry Sauce Recipe.
> Can anyone help?

I suggest using the whole berry recipe from the back of the bag of
cranberries but use Splenda instead of sugar. The texture will be a
little different, but it should be fine otherwise. I did that last year
and it would have been fine for someone who doesn't taste the aftertaste
with Splenda. Me, I ended up throwing it out and having a very little
of the high-test stuff I'd made for my guests.

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.

Priscilla Ballou 22-11-2004 08:18 PM

Tiger Lily 22-11-2004 08:29 PM

we make it using splenda instead of sugar

it's a bit runnier so we cut the liquids to make it with in order
to make it less runny

tastes great to me

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

. com...

Tiger Lily 22-11-2004 08:29 PM

we make it using splenda instead of sugar

it's a bit runnier so we cut the liquids to make it with in order
to make it less runny

tastes great to me

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk
More info: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/

. com...

Julie Bove 22-11-2004 09:58 PM

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "BJ in Texas" > wrote:
>
> > Looking for a DM freindly Cranberry Sauce Recipe.
> > Can anyone help?

> I suggest using the whole berry recipe from the back of the bag of
> cranberries but use Splenda instead of sugar. The texture will be a
> little different, but it should be fine otherwise. I did that last year
> and it would have been fine for someone who doesn't taste the aftertaste
> with Splenda. Me, I ended up throwing it out and having a very little
> of the high-test stuff I'd made for my guests.

The color is different too. Comes out more pink and it was off-putting to
me.

--
See my webpage:

Priscilla Ballou 22-11-2004 10:01 PM

In article <3qsod.5164$ld2.3930@trnddc05>,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
> > In article > ,
> > "BJ in Texas" > wrote:
> >
> > > Looking for a DM freindly Cranberry Sauce Recipe.
> > > Can anyone help?

> > I suggest using the whole berry recipe from the back of the bag of
> > cranberries but use Splenda instead of sugar. The texture will be a
> > little different, but it should be fine otherwise. I did that last year
> > and it would have been fine for someone who doesn't taste the aftertaste
> > with Splenda. Me, I ended up throwing it out and having a very little
> > of the high-test stuff I'd made for my guests.

> The color is different too. Comes out more pink and it was off-putting to
> me.

Huh. I don't remember that happening for me.

Priscilla

Priscilla Ballou 22-11-2004 10:01 PM

Peanutjake 22-11-2004 10:19 PM

BJ in Texas > wrote in message
. com...
> Looking for a DM freindly Cranberry Sauce Recipe.
> Can anyone help?

I am using Sugar Free Cranberry Jello.
Zero Carbs.

PJ

Peanutjake 22-11-2004 10:19 PM

. com...

Tiger Lily 22-11-2004 10:19 PM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
> > In article > ,
> > "BJ in Texas" > wrote:
> >
> > > Looking for a DM freindly Cranberry Sauce Recipe.
> > > Can anyone help?

> > I suggest using the whole berry recipe from the back of the bag of
> > cranberries but use Splenda instead of sugar. The texture will be a
> > little different, but it should be fine otherwise. I did that last year
> > and it would have been fine for someone who doesn't taste the aftertaste
> > with Splenda. Me, I ended up throwing it out and having a very little
> > of the high-test stuff I'd made for my guests.

> The color is different too. Comes out more pink and it was off-putting to
> me.

too much water Julie...... it froths and turns pink if too much water

my cranberry sauce is always red with a slight pinkish froth if i boil it
too hard

Tiger Lily 22-11-2004 10:19 PM

Nicky 22-11-2004 11:08 PM

"BJ in Texas" > wrote in message
. com...
> Looking for a DM freindly Cranberry Sauce Recipe.
> Can anyone help?

Made mine last weekend, and tested it out yesterday - pretty good.

I took about a pound of cranberries, and simmered them very slowly with a
couple of teaspoons of water and an amount of sweetener that made it taste
right - I used Sucron, which is a saccharine mix, plus a couple of sachets
of Splenda - until most of the berries had burst. I then pushed all but a
few whole berries through a sieve to take out the seeds, etc. I got about
5oz of sauce, which had thickened nicely when cold - and tasted great over a
bit of icecream. It's gone in the freezer now, a job out of the way : )

Nicky.

--
HbA1c 10.5/6.4/<6 Weight 95/79/72
1g Metformin, 75ug Thyroxine

Nicky 22-11-2004 11:08 PM

. com...

Julie Bove 23-11-2004 02:53 AM

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

> too much water Julie...... it froths and turns pink if too much water
>
> my cranberry sauce is always red with a slight pinkish froth if i boil it
> too hard

Hmmm... I don't recall adding any water to it. I've tried several
different recipes, using both Splenda and Aspartame and it always comes out
pink.

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove 23-11-2004 02:53 AM

Colleen 23-11-2004 04:53 PM

Made this last night. It was good.

1 bag cranberries, well rinsed
Splenda to taste
1 cup raspberries
one packet knox geletain

Place berries in saucepand with about 1/2 cup water. (Should just cover the
bottom of the pan about 1/2 inch)
Simmer on medium heat until berries pop and break apart.
Add raspberries (I used frozen)

Mix geletain according to directions. Add enough to about double the volume
of the berries.

Chill

This isn't a really firm cranberry sauce but the raspberries give it a
really nice flavor.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

Galileo Galilie

My artwork: www.plazaearth.com/philo
-------------------------------
. com...

Colleen 23-11-2004 04:53 PM

[...]

. com...

BJ in Texas 24-11-2004 02:17 PM

Colleen wrote:
|| Made this last night. It was good.
|| 1 bag cranberries, well rinsed
|| Splenda to taste
|| 1 cup raspberries
|| one packet knox geletain
|| Place berries in saucepand with about 1/2 cup water. (Should
|| just cover the bottom of the pan about 1/2 inch)
|| Simmer on medium heat until berries pop and break apart.
|| Add raspberries (I used frozen)
|| Mix geletain according to directions. Add enough to about
|| double the volume of the berries.

Why do some recipes add geletain or xathan gum to cranberry
sauce? It appears that cranberries contain enough pectin to
thicken up nicely by themselves.

BJ

Colleen 24-11-2004 05:24 PM

Might be the amount of water I use. The geletain seems to give it just a
bit more body. I also make my own stuffing using low carb whole grain
bread. I just dry the bread, cube it, season it and make it like a regular
stuffing. The bread I use is really nutty so it give it a really good
flavor. Everyone loves it an no one knows it's low carb.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

Galileo Galilie

My artwork: www.plazaearth.com/philo
-------------------------------
. com...

BJ in Texas 24-11-2004 07:37 PM

Colleen wrote:
|| Might be the amount of water I use. The geletain seems to
|| give it just a bit more body.

Makes sense.... :-) BJ

Hahabogus 29-11-2004 05:45 AM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>
> > too much water Julie...... it froths and turns pink if too much
> > water
> >
> > my cranberry sauce is always red with a slight pinkish froth if i
> > boil it too hard

> Hmmm... I don't recall adding any water to it. I've tried several
> different recipes, using both Splenda and Aspartame and it always
> comes out pink.

You put about 2 oz of orange juice in a small pot over med-low
heat....you add the bag of crabberries and possibly the zest from the
orange. After the berries have finished bursting (5-10 minutes) you add
2 pkgs of sweetner (equivalent to 4 tsp sugar) off the heat; stir well
and taste so you can adjust sweetness if needed. There is no reason to
bring the cranberries to a boil...a good simmer will do the job. And if
you add the sweetner at the end you need less of it (don't know why). You
can add sliced toasted almonds and/or orange liquer if you desire. Brown
sugar flavoured sweetner adds a nice flavour. I like it a little
tart...hides sweetner after taste.

Yeah I know oj juice is carbish but 2 oz in something you're suppose to
use by the tablespoon averages out.

check the cranberries before they go in the pot...chuck out the bad ones
if any.

I help along the berries that don't seem to want to burst by pressing
them against the side of the pot, while stiring.

Maybe you are having a reaction due to the type of pot...I use a non-
stick non-reactive pot.

Works for me
--
Starchless in Manitoba.