Nan Eklund

Default Almond pie crust

Months ago someone had a recipe for using crushed almonds and melted butter as
a crust for pumpkin pie. I'd appreciate a repeat - and - do you blanch the
almonds first? Or can you use a processor and leave the husk on?
Nan, Type 2
Entrenched belief is never altered by the facts.....

Nan Eklund

>I use walnuts, myself.

Why not? Same process except for the brown husks which walnuts don't have.
I would prefer almonds as I love the flavor and it goes so well with pumpkin.
Nan, Type 2
Entrenched belief is never altered by the facts.....

Nan Eklund

Still need advice about blanching vs leaving the brown husks on the almonds
before
grinding. I personally eat raw almond husk and all but then, I don't peel
potatos either.
The blanching is a loooong process and I wondered whether or not I could skip
it.
Nan, Type 2
Entrenched belief is never altered by the facts.....

Jennifer

Nan...

It works either way.

If you leave the skins on, you get a slightly "earthier" flavor. Off...
it's more refined.

But I would say you want to lightly toast them either way, if they're
raw. Raw won't work.

Jennifer

Nan Eklund wrote:

> Still need advice about blanching vs leaving the brown husks on the almonds
> before
> grinding. I personally eat raw almond husk and all but then, I don't peel
> potatos either.
> The blanching is a loooong process and I wondered whether or not I could skip
> it.
> Nan, Type 2
> Entrenched belief is never altered by the facts.....

Jennifer

Nan Eklund wrote:

> Still need advice about blanching vs leaving the brown husks on the almonds
> before
> grinding. I personally eat raw almond husk and all but then, I don't peel
> potatos either.
> The blanching is a loooong process and I wondered whether or not I could skip
> it.
> Nan, Type 2
> Entrenched belief is never altered by the facts.....

Nan Eklund

Thanks Jennifer. That's what I wanted to know. Now - experiment
pre-Thanksgiving on a small scale so I can confound the family by producing
diabetic = yummy.