FoodBanter.com

-   -   Mushrooms. (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/435105-mushrooms.html)

Ian Field 06-10-2015 08:27 PM

Mushrooms.

Are these OK for diabetics?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agaricus_campestris

Thanks.

W. Baker 06-10-2015 11:19 PM

Mushrooms.

Ian Field > wrote:
: Are these OK for diabetics?

: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agaricus_campestris

: Thanks.

See my comment on ASD

Wendy

T[_8_] 07-10-2015 12:55 AM

Mushrooms.

On 10/06/2015 12:27 PM, Ian Field wrote:
> Are these OK for diabetics?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agaricus_campestris
>
> Thanks.

Sure. Unless there is something weird about the one
you referenced.

I eat mushrooms all the time. I use them as a sub
for hash browns as a side for my fried eggs and
on my fried cheese pizzas.

Sometimes I saute them with onions and use them for
toppings. Or add cream and make an awesome cream sauce.

Mushrooms, white, raw
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2482/2

1 cup pieces:
7.7 grams carbs
Estimated glycemic load: ~ 2

Here is Mark Sisson (T2 since his teen age) on Shiitake Mushrooms
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/shiitake-mushroom/

Mushrooms, shiitake, cooked, with salt:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2873/2

1 cup pieces:
20 grams carbs
~7 on the load

T[_8_] 07-10-2015 01:21 AM

Mushrooms.

On 10/06/2015 04:55 PM, T wrote:

> Sometimes I saute them with onions and use them for
> toppings. Or add cream and make an awesome cream sauce.

Tip: even though your have already sauted the onions,
add some onion powder too. The both have slightly
different flavors and they complement each other.
Yummy!

:-)

Ian Field 07-10-2015 06:11 PM

Mushrooms.

"T" > wrote in message ...
> On 10/06/2015 12:27 PM, Ian Field wrote:
>> Are these OK for diabetics?
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agaricus_campestris
>>
>> Thanks.

> Sure. Unless there is something weird about the one
> you referenced.

The campestris is what you're most likely to find on supermarket shelves.

I've been reading up on wild varieties - the toxic ones are relatively few,
but the consequences of a mistake can range from severe gastric trouble, to
cascade organ failure over 2 or 3 weeks.

The guide books list some very delicious wild mushrooms - I presume there's
some economic reason they're not cultivated for the supermarket.

OTOH: some books mention that certain mushrooms listed as toxic are OK if
prepared correctly - I won't be doing that experiment any time soon.

There's a huge range of mushrooms that are listed as edible, but many have
the footnote that while they won't make you ill - they're not worth the
effort.

Unless I discover a foolproof method of distinguishing edible from toxic; my
study is likely to remain theoretical.

T[_8_] 10-10-2015 02:41 AM

Mushrooms.

On 10/07/2015 10:11 AM, Ian Field wrote:

> "T" > wrote in message ...
>> On 10/06/2015 12:27 PM, Ian Field wrote:
>>> Are these OK for diabetics?
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agaricus_campestris
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Sure. Unless there is something weird about the one
>> you referenced.

> The campestris is what you're most likely to find on supermarket shelves.
>
> I've been reading up on wild varieties - the toxic ones are relatively
> few, but the consequences of a mistake can range from severe gastric
> trouble, to cascade organ failure over 2 or 3 weeks.
>
> The guide books list some very delicious wild mushrooms - I presume
> there's some economic reason they're not cultivated for the supermarket.
>
> OTOH: some books mention that certain mushrooms listed as toxic are OK
> if prepared correctly - I won't be doing that experiment any time soon.
>
> There's a huge range of mushrooms that are listed as edible, but many
> have the footnote that while they won't make you ill - they're not worth
> the effort.
>
> Unless I discover a foolproof method of distinguishing edible from
> toxic; my study is likely to remain theoretical.

A customer who was on his forth wife told my wife that his first
two wives died from eating toxic mushrooms. But, his third wife
dies of a broken neck. She wouldn't eat the mushrooms.

:-)