FoodBanter.com

-   -   ping Ian: secret ingredient (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/434303-ping-ian-secret-ingredient.html)

T[_8_] 01-08-2015 02:26 AM

ping Ian: secret ingredient

Hi Ian,

If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_chile

It is like adding MSG (flavor enhancer) without the
chemicals (excitotoxins) and the delayed headache.

-T

Ian Field 08-08-2015 09:12 PM

ping Ian: secret ingredient

"T" wrote in message ...
Hi Ian,

If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_chile

It is like adding MSG (flavor enhancer) without the
chemicals (excitotoxins) and the delayed headache.

There was a time I liked hot spicy food - these days it wreaks a terrible
revenge next day!

T[_8_] 09-08-2015 11:11 PM

ping Ian: secret ingredient

On 08/08/2015 01:12 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"T" wrote in message ...
Hi Ian,

If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_chile

It is like adding MSG (flavor enhancer) without the
chemicals (excitotoxins) and the delayed headache.

There was a time I liked hot spicy food - these days it wreaks a
terrible revenge next day!

Bummer!

Can you take a "tiny" amount?

The idea is to put only a little in such that the change is
almost not perceptible. It just accelerated the flavors from
the other ingredients. A kind of non-toxic MSG.

I like the Chimayo peppers the best as they are full of
flavor, not just nasty heat like a lot of the others.
Mind you, a Chimayo can be nasty hot too if you don't dump
the seeds and you don't eat it with something with a lot
of fat. Chimayo is the flavor in an enchilada.

Ian Field 10-08-2015 05:12 PM

ping Ian: secret ingredient

"T" wrote in message
Hi Ian,

If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_chile

It is like adding MSG (flavor enhancer) without the
chemicals (excitotoxins) and the delayed headache.

There was a time I liked hot spicy food - these days it wreaks a
terrible revenge next day!

Bummer!

Can you take a "tiny" amount?

The idea is to put only a little in such that the change is
almost not perceptible. It just accelerated the flavors from
the other ingredients. A kind of non-toxic MSG.

The other day I found a not that far out of date tin of tomato soup that
needed using up sooner rather than later.

Plenty of salt and a good squirt of Crucials Sauces Hot Stuff chilli sauce.
That didn't cause a problem, but last time I bought chilli powder, I got
extra hot - I have to be very careful not to use much!

T[_8_] 11-08-2015 08:26 PM

ping Ian: secret ingredient

"T" wrote in message
[...]

We are lucky here in that we have several Mexican Supermarkets
(Mexico is out southern neighbor). They have about 15 varieties
of dried peppers.

Ian Field 11-08-2015 08:51 PM

ping Ian: secret ingredient

"T" wrote in message
[...]

We have the Palo (Asian) Indian grocers, they recently moved and so far I've
only found the new location just so I know where it is.

Usually I only go there for a few items I can't get anywhere else, and
they're not everyday shopping list bits.

They're now opposite a supermarket that I visit more often, so I should
probably make a habit of looking in there for some of the staple foods.

Ian Field 12-08-2015 09:35 PM

ping Ian: secret ingredient

"T" wrote in message
[...]

Went in the shop for a proper look earlier, they're way too expensive for
actual food items - that they don't have that many of anyway.

The spices are still *MUCH* better value than the supermarkets though. They
have trendy and expensive little jars for restocking spice racks, the Indian
grocers have 400g packets for not much more.

Ian Field 15-08-2015 09:10 PM

ping Ian: secret ingredient

"T" wrote in message ...
Hi Ian,

If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.

Now I'm wondering what mischief I can get up to with a pile of hot chilli
seeds!

T[_8_] 15-08-2015 10:31 PM

ping Ian: secret ingredient

On 08/15/2015 01:10 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"T" wrote in message ...
Hi Ian,

If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.

Now I'm wondering what mischief I can get up to with a pile of hot
chilli seeds!

Chuckle!

Grind them up! Throw the powder on your lawn. It
makes a excellent cat repellent.

Wear eye and lung protection if you grind them.

Grow them? I can't. It is very frustrating.

I have enough trouble with tomatoes and tomatillos.

Ian Field 16-08-2015 04:50 PM

ping Ian: secret ingredient

"T" wrote in message
Hi Ian,

If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.

Now I'm wondering what mischief I can get up to with a pile of hot
chilli seeds!

Chuckle!

Grind them up! Throw the powder on your lawn. It
makes a excellent cat repellent.

Apparently; if you spice the food put out for the birds - it stops the
squirrels pinching it.

Cats don't like the oil in orange peel - I believe there's commercial cat
repellents based on that.

T[_8_] 16-08-2015 09:48 PM

ping Ian: secret ingredient

"T" wrote in message
Hi Ian,

If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.

Now I'm wondering what mischief I can get up to with a pile of hot
chilli seeds!

Chuckle!

Grind them up! Throw the powder on your lawn. It
makes a excellent cat repellent.

Apparently; if you spice the food put out for the birds - it stops the
squirrels pinching it.

Perfect! I read that birds are not affected by hot peppers.
This one I have got to remember!

Cats don't like the oil in orange peel - I believe there's commercial
cat repellents based on that.

When I first bought this house, a section of my rocks in my front
yard was a cat toilet. So I racked back the rocks, put down
the nastiest cayenne pepper I could find, then racked the rocks
back over it. No more cat poo in my yard ever since.

When the cat clears an area to do his deed, he gets the
powder on his paws. This burn him. So, he sticks his
paw into his mouth. Now his mouth burns. Next thing you
know "Mr. Darcey" makes that loud cat noise, off he goes,
and he NEVER comes back. And, it does not permanent damage
to Mr. Darcey. This is the origin of the term "Cat's Tongue",
meaning you have no tolerance for hot spices.

Ian Field 16-08-2015 09:55 PM

ping Ian: secret ingredient

"T" wrote in message
Hi Ian,

If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.

Now I'm wondering what mischief I can get up to with a pile of hot
chilli seeds!

Chuckle!

Grind them up! Throw the powder on your lawn. It
makes a excellent cat repellent.

Apparently; if you spice the food put out for the birds - it stops the
squirrels pinching it.

Perfect! I read that birds are not affected by hot peppers.
This one I have got to remember!

That's what I have been told, but I live in a flat with no garden and no
opportunity to try it out.

Someone dumped a sack of potatoes in the bin room that had started to sprout
roots - I cast a few along the hedgerow behind the flats to find out whether
they take.

T[_8_] 18-08-2015 12:51 AM

ping Ian: secret ingredient

"T" wrote in message
Hi Ian,

If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.

Now I'm wondering what mischief I can get up to with a pile of hot
chilli seeds!

Chuckle!

Grind them up! Throw the powder on your lawn. It
makes a excellent cat repellent.

Apparently; if you spice the food put out for the birds - it stops the
squirrels pinching it.

Perfect! I read that birds are not affected by hot peppers.
This one I have got to remember!

That's what I have been told, but I live in a flat with no garden and no
opportunity to try it out.

Do you have a patio? You could get a tomato in a pot. I have
found cherry Tomatoes are best for this.

Someone dumped a sack of potatoes in the bin room that had started to
sprout roots - I cast a few along the hedgerow behind the flats to find
out whether they take.

Potatoes are not real good for Diabetics. Does Chayote grow out there?
(It doesn't here.) It likes to vine all over things. Chayotes are
Diabetic friendly.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2842/2

Chayote, fruit, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
1 Cup

Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
Glycemic Load ~ 1

They taste a little like a dull zucchini

W. Baker 18-08-2015 03:01 PM

ping Ian: secret ingredient

:
: Do you have a patio? You could get a tomato in a pot. I have
: found cherry Tomatoes are best for this.

: Someone dumped a sack of potatoes in the bin room that had started to
: sprout roots - I cast a few along the hedgerow behind the flats to find
: out whether they take.

: Potatoes are not real good for Diabetics. Does Chayote grow out there?
: (It doesn't here.) It likes to vine all over things. Chayotes are
: Diabetic friendly.

: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2842/2

: Chayote, fruit, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
: 1 Cup

: Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
: Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
: Glycemic Load ~ 1

: They taste a little like a dull zucchini

Why not eat those more exciting zuccini which can also vine a bit if the
Chayote i dull? I made some yelloe w summer squash the other day by
microvwaving it togeher with a tomato and some thinly slices onion with
sat pepper adn some fresh dill I happened tohave in the house. Noting
dull about that!

Wendy

Ian Field 18-08-2015 05:31 PM

ping Ian: secret ingredient

"T" wrote in message
[...]

If I had a patio/balcony - I could put a bird table out there.

The sprouting potatoes were just another thing to seed the hedgerow with -
often when I take my rubbish down, I find people have left punnets of fruit
on top of the bins, sometimes I chuck them in the hedgerow in case the seeds
might grow.