Old 18-08-2015, 09:38 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ping Ian: secret ingredient

Ian Field wrote:

: "T" wrote in message ...
: On 08/16/2015 01:55 PM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: "T" wrote in message
: ...
: On 08/16/2015 08:50 AM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: "T" wrote in message
: ...
: On 08/15/2015 01:10 PM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: "T" wrote in message
: ...
: Hi Ian,
:
: If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
: cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
: Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
: end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.
:
: Now I'm wondering what mischief I can get up to with a pile of hot
: chilli seeds!
:
: Chuckle!
:
: Grind them up! Throw the powder on your lawn. It
: makes a excellent cat repellent.
:
: Apparently; if you spice the food put out for the birds - it stops the
: squirrels pinching it.
:
: Perfect! I read that birds are not affected by hot peppers.
: This one I have got to remember!
:
: That's what I have been told, but I live in a flat with no garden and no
: opportunity to try it out.
:
: Do you have a patio? You could get a tomato in a pot. I have
: found cherry Tomatoes are best for this.
:
:
: Someone dumped a sack of potatoes in the bin room that had started to
: sprout roots - I cast a few along the hedgerow behind the flats to find
: out whether they take.
:
: Potatoes are not real good for Diabetics. Does Chayote grow out there?
: (It doesn't here.) It likes to vine all over things. Chayotes are
: Diabetic friendly.

: If I had a patio/balcony - I could put a bird table out there.

: The sprouting potatoes were just another thing to seed the hedgerow with -
: often when I take my rubbish down, I find people have left punnets of fruit
: on top of the bins, sometimes I chuck them in the hedgerow in case the seeds
: might grow.

If those potatos actually take and produce more potatos you can always
either give thenm to your neighbors or donate them to the ocal food bank
for the poor adn hungry.

The exercise of planting addd picking them as well as ay weedign and
tendiing will be a godsend for your diabetes, helping keep the numbers
down.

Wendy

Old 18-08-2015, 09:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

: "T" wrote in message
: On 08/16/2015 01:55 PM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: "T" wrote in message
: ...
: On 08/16/2015 08:50 AM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: "T" wrote in message
: ...
: On 08/15/2015 01:10 PM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: "T" wrote in message
: ...
: Hi Ian,
:
[...]

I'd get some funny looks if I started tending the hedgerow behind the
flats - its just an experiment to see what grows, I have no control over who
helps themselves to any produce.

I keep a little tub for the pips/pits from any fruit I have, there's a line
of woods along a cycle track I use every day - that's been seeded with quite
a variety over the past few years.

Old 19-08-2015, 06:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 08/18/2015 07:01 AM, W. Baker wrote:
T wrote:
: On 08/16/2015 01:55 PM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: Do you have a patio? You could get a tomato in a pot. I have
: found cherry Tomatoes are best for this.

: Someone dumped a sack of potatoes in the bin room that had started to
: sprout roots - I cast a few along the hedgerow behind the flats to find
: out whether they take.

: Potatoes are not real good for Diabetics. Does Chayote grow out there?
: (It doesn't here.) It likes to vine all over things. Chayotes are
: Diabetic friendly.

: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2842/2

: Chayote, fruit, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
: 1 Cup

: Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
: Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
: Glycemic Load ~ 1

: They taste a little like a dull zucchini

Why not eat those more exciting zuccini which can also vine a bit if the
Chayote i dull? I made some yelloe w summer squash the other day by
microvwaving it togeher with a tomato and some thinly slices onion with
sat pepper adn some fresh dill I happened tohave in the house. Noting
dull about that!

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Perfect! Now you got me hungry.

I have been doing something similar with the zukes from my garden.

I was looking for something too grow on his hedgerow that would
grow by itself. Zucchini has made slaves out of us humans
and love to be pampered by us. At least they have made a
slave out of me!

Also, the bland nature of Chayote make it accept butter, Stevia
and cinnamon pretty well, but I am still working on that.
It doesn't come out too well.

-T
Old 19-08-2015, 10:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

T wrote:
[...]

Runner beans are climbers and would love the hedgerow bushes, but I'd have
to pay for the seeds and its a fair bet the neigbours would harvest the crop
before I got any.

Its pretty much whatever seeds become available for free, get thrown on any
likely looking patch of common land.

The woods by the cycle track are mostly very old trees that tend to fall
over in any harsh weather we get - it crossed my mind that a few fruit trees
might fill the increasing number of gaps. Any fruit pips/pits I come by get
chucked in there.

The local authority sends workmen to mow any grass verges, so anything
strewn there would get cut. It needs to be seeds that can grow in the rough
bits where the mower can't go.

Old 22-08-2015, 02:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/18/2015 1:47 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

: "T" wrote in message
: On 08/16/2015 01:55 PM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: "T" wrote in message
: ...
: On 08/16/2015 08:50 AM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: "T" wrote in message
: ...
: On 08/15/2015 01:10 PM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: "T" wrote in message
: ...
: Hi Ian,
:
[...]

Do you recognize anything growing there that may have originated in your
"little tub"?

Don Roberto

Old 22-08-2015, 05:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

: "T" wrote in message
: On 08/16/2015 01:55 PM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: "T" wrote in message
: ...
: On 08/16/2015 08:50 AM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: "T" wrote in message
: ...
: On 08/15/2015 01:10 PM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: "T" wrote in message
: ...
: Hi Ian,
:
[...]

Its a bit optimistic to hope for what might eventually be trees to be
recognisable this soon.

I've posted a WANTED on a free recycling group for any leftover veg seeds -
there ought to be some tangible evidence before I conk out.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"T" wrote in message ...
On 08/08/2015 01:12 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"T" wrote in message
Hi Ian,

If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_chile

It is like adding MSG (flavor enhancer) without the
chemicals (excitotoxins) and the delayed headache.

There was a time I liked hot spicy food - these days it wreaks a
terrible revenge next day!

Bummer!

Can you take a "tiny" amount?

The idea is to put only a little in such that the change is
almost not perceptible. It just accelerated the flavors from
the other ingredients. A kind of non-toxic MSG.

I like the Chimayo peppers the best as they are full of
flavor, not just nasty heat like a lot of the others.
Mind you, a Chimayo can be nasty hot too if you don't dump
the seeds and you don't eat it with something with a lot
of fat. Chimayo is the flavor in an enchilada.

Chimayo is the flavor in an enchilada? What kind of enchilada? There are
many kinds and many sauces. So I just am not buying that.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:06 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"T" wrote in message
Hi Ian,

If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.

Now I'm wondering what mischief I can get up to with a pile of hot
chilli seeds!

Chuckle!

Grind them up! Throw the powder on your lawn. It
makes a excellent cat repellent.

Apparently; if you spice the food put out for the birds - it stops the
squirrels pinching it.

Perfect! I read that birds are not affected by hot peppers.
This one I have got to remember!

Cats don't like the oil in orange peel - I believe there's commercial
cat repellents based on that.

When I first bought this house, a section of my rocks in my front
yard was a cat toilet. So I racked back the rocks, put down
the nastiest cayenne pepper I could find, then racked the rocks
back over it. No more cat poo in my yard ever since.

Pray tell, how do you rack a rock? And why would a cat go poo on rocks?

When the cat clears an area to do his deed, he gets the
powder on his paws. This burn him. So, he sticks his
paw into his mouth. Now his mouth burns. Next thing you
know "Mr. Darcey" makes that loud cat noise, off he goes,
and he NEVER comes back. And, it does not permanent damage
to Mr. Darcey. This is the origin of the term "Cat's Tongue",
meaning you have no tolerance for hot spices.

That is so very mean!

Old 08-10-2015, 12:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"T" wrote in message
[...]

I have a potato intolerance so no good for me. But until I developed that
intolerance, they were fine for me. No problems at all provided I didn't
eat too many at once.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2842/2

Chayote, fruit, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
1 Cup

A chayote is in no way like a potato.

Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
Glycemic Load ~ 1

They taste a little like a dull zucchini

Not really.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

T wrote:
[...]

I have made it many times and it came out fine. I won't use stevia though.
Cook on the stove and it will be like apple pie filling.