Old 03-10-2014, 08:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Best of both worlds.

On 02-Oct-14 21:01, Ian Field wrote:

"Todd" wrote in message
On 10/02/2014 10:51 AM, Ian Field wrote:

Speaking of friends: there are three types.

1) those who won't tell you your fly is unzipped

2) those that will

3) those that won't tell you, but will tell everyone
else in the room.

Did I make you chuckle? If not, seek out a #2 and
ask him if you have changed.

You seriously think EVERYONE is picking on you. All
those Tories are out to get you! And your sense of humor
is a thing of the past.

I wouldn't quite say that you've lost your marbles - but there's
definitely a hole in the bag!

now watch it, there are perfectly normal human beings without marbles

Old 03-10-2014, 06:09 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Gys de Jongh" wrote in message
.. .
On 02-Oct-14 20:50, Todd wrote:

Speaking of friends: there are three types.

1) those who won't tell you your fly is unzipped

2) those that will

3) those that won't tell you, but will tell everyone
else in the room.

4) those that won't tell you, because than you will zip it

5) Those that wait till you're drunk before telling you so you get caught in
it doing it up.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:16 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Todd" wrote in message
On 09/30/2014 08:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals,
but can still be done in the microwave?

Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a
microwave, but that general direction of food preparation.

The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there,
no
diabetic recipes.

Maybe if enough people asked, they'd do something about it.

Hi Ian,

The following would help in answering your question

What kind of Diabetes do you have?

How have you decided to deal with it?
--- High carb (red beans) and drugs, or
--- low carb and drug free

The cost of food is a big issue while we endure austerity so the Tories
can line the offshore bank accounts of their fatcat chums.

Its T2 controlled by Metformin, sort of a fine balance with the threat
of insulin never too far away!

Red beans were just an example of the basics from the local Asian food
market - the beans would have to be boiled until all the froth had been
scooped off, not really practical in a microwave.

I don't know what country you're in, but do you have canned beans there?
They are really not that much more expensive than dried. Can you get
fresh beans? I can't here. Since you have an Asian store, can you get
bean sprouts?

Generally I go in there mostly for spices, they're a *LOT* cheaper than
"name brand" little jars, usually I only notice odd items of food that I
think would work out a huge saving if I knew how to prepare it.

Maybe as much as 1/4 of their stock is dried beans & pulses etc. A lot of
the (presumably vegetables of some sort) I don't even know what they're
called.

Ah, okay. Somewhat different then our stores here then.

They have no shortage of variety, and it looks like decent sustenance for a
fair bit less than any of the supermarkets - unfortunately; I haven't a clue
what most of it is or how to prepare it.

The next scheduled blood test since my table top oven broke looms - probably
some bad news coming my way!

Old 03-10-2014, 06:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Don Roberto" wrote in message
On 9/30/2014 8:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals,
but can still be done in the microwave?

Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a
microwave, but that general direction of food preparation.

The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
diabetic recipes.

Use your imagination: Improvise! Then check with your meter.

As a non-insulin T2, the NHS won't give me a meter, so I'd have to buy
one.

Actually, I got a couple of meters from my salvage interests - but never
quite organised an expedition to buy some strips.

Last time I had a scheduled blood test I was a bit over, they increased
my Metformin and re-tested. The results of that declared my blood sugar
"under control".

That's rather sad and scary. You should be able to test, particularly
since you are on medication. How would you know if you had a hypo?

Sometimes, about an hour or so after a dose of Metformin - I get feeling
faint and dizzy with the shakes and sometimes cold sweats.

Presumably since a caramel bar fixes it in short order - that's probably my
hypo symptoms.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/02/2014 01:32 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
Todd wrote:

On 10/01/2014 08:32 PM, W. Baker wrote:

You, as poster, take quate a strong view adn express it strongly, making
sound like you are the only one who has the right way. We all find
different ways to control our diabtese and enjoy sharing ideas jus like
recipes, but not being told that "I am the way adn you are stupid if you
don't follow me and are damned to diabetic failure if you don't accept my
views." You may not be aware of it, but this is how you come off. You
have found wht works for YOU adn many of us gave you all kinds of recipes
and cookign methods to get you to where you wanted to be. I am glad we
were able to help, but remeber, to disgree wit you in a polite way is not
crabbiness. I eat quite low car,or what I call moderate carb of 60-100
grams a day adn it works for me as it has for more than 30 years, the
last
17 or so on Metformin. That is what we mean by YMMV or "your mileeage
may vary."

Wendy,

To be quite blunt, no I do not. This is in your own mind.
Making things up and putting words into my mouth is not
politely disagreeing with me.

This is why I think you are being effected by Metformin.
You must rely on others who will be honest with you as to
your behavior and if your personality has changed. You
can not judge it for yourself. Under Met, your internal
jerk meter is too screwed up for you to be able to tell.
Your are under a Chemical Haze.

Now I never knew you before Metformin, so you may be this
way naturally. But I have to say, the jumping to conclusions,
flying off the handle, reading negative motives into things
that are innocuous is exactly what a Met Head acts like.

So I vote 1+ for Metforming induces crabbiness.

-T

Todd,

Please go back over this thread and read carefully - several times
if necessary. You should be able to see that Wendy is correct.
You DO come across the way she describes it. You and she may be
"separated by a common language", and I'm not even a native speaker of that
language, but I have known Wendy on the DM groups for about five years
and crabby she is not. I have experience with others (in person) on
Metformin and have never noticed any of the symptoms you describe so
vividly.

Oh, and I'm on glimepiride, reduced carb and increased exercise.

One more thing comes to mind - you have a microwave but no oven.
Over here there are tiny two-plate ranges with small ovens available,
suitable for a studio apartment or a summer cabin. One of those might solve
many of your cooking problems.

Bjørn
T2, 72 yo, bmi 23

Hi Bjørn,

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.
I see three kinds of T2's out these:

1) eat anything you want and use lots of drugs
2) eat moderate carbs and use (less) drugs, or
3) low carb and drug free?

I don't know of any #1 on this group, maybe Julie.
Most on this group I see as #2's. I think I am the
only #1. But who really cares.

So I went back and re-read what I wrote. The only
thing I found that could have been taken as condescending
was the part about picking out your shoes for your
prosthetic feet. And, I did not mean it condescending.
I meant it to be brutally serious. I have seen T2 mane
and kill people.

As far as being insulting, I insulted myself far more that
anyone else. Saying to be careful this happened to me,
is not telling you your are an arse hole. It is saying
you could be and not know it. I didn't.

I am on other low carb cooking groups and no one minds
the way I speak. They see it as a pep talk. Over
here, if I say "low carb", I am being condescending.
And of all places to be offended by a low carb comment,
a Diabetes group!

What I find really interesting and somewhat annoying
is that if you are doing what is working for you,
why would me telling you what I do be "Condescending".
I am only sharing my experience and thoughts on the
matter, not ordering anyone around. My intention
is to help others. And, the information I give
out was withheld to me. I had to find it out the
hard way. I wish I had never, never taken that
(controlled dosage of a) poison (Met).

The only thing I can think of is that #2's (throw in
a little Met) really are tired of being lectured
about carbs and want to eat what they want to eat.
So they snap at the next person that raises the subject.
So along comes Todd with his Primal and low carb and
Pow! Like walking on egg shells

By the way, the other cooking groups I am also on are
low carb by choice not because they are forced to.
(Sometimes I will share a recipe from them here,
if I think other will like it.)

That is one of the reasons why I think low carb is such
a sore subject in these parts (Met doesn't help).
And the other groups love to hear about it. One
is by choice, the other is not.

Anyway, I had several people I apologized to also
tell me they didn't notice anything. Guess you take it
out on those closest to you.

A lot of people have experienced "Depression" from
Metformin. A web search is litter with it.

http://community.diabetes.org/t5/Adu...in/td-p/248424

"Had/Having a depressive episode. Can't work, can't
function, can't cope. Haven't had an episode in ten years.
All of a sudden I trace back my depression to November ----
viola --- that is when I started taking metformin. "

And depression causes you to be crabby and paranoid delusional.
And, yes, maybe not everyone. This group shows a lot of it.

And as far as Wendy goes, I have tried making friends
with her on several occasions. I would say the sky is
blue, she would say I way condescending. I have asked
her repeatedly to show me in my writing were I made
such a social mistake. She comes back with it is the
tone in my writing. She just doesn't like me, which
is her right. Towards me, she acts like a Met Head.
Towards other she does not, which is a good thing.
I did not act badly to every one either.

She even said I ran off in a Huff. Do you know what
an act of friendship that was for me to post
a cute video of a cat? I despise the things. You
would too, if a reaction to one almost killed someone
your loved. They are a curse on humanity.

Anyway, I am only sharing my experience with others
to be of help. If I was trying to be condescending,
there are far easier way to do it. I would certainly
take a hit on myself and include my own behavior as a
met head in my missives.

Mark Twain actually liked cats. Finally found something
I don't like about him.

-T

Ignorant people think it is the noise which fighting cats
make that is so aggravating, but it ain't so; it is
the sickening grammar that they use.
Mark Twain

Old 04-10-2014, 03:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message

Hi Bjørn,

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.
I see three kinds of T2's out these:

1) eat anything you want and use lots of drugs
2) eat moderate carbs and use (less) drugs, or
3) low carb and drug free?

I don't know of any #1 on this group, maybe Julie.
Most on this group I see as #2's. I think I am the
only #1. But who really cares.

No, I most certainly do not eat anything I want! If I did I would eat a
bean burrito with a side of beans. Pasta with beans. And big huge salads.
Those are my favorite foods. I can no longer eat any of those things. I
still eat beans. A small burrito that I make at home or a bean taco, also
made at home. Or just beans. The salads are out due to the gastroparesis.
I also have multiple food intolerances so things like dairy which I might
want to eat, I can't. I also don't use lots of drugs. I take three kinds
of prescription pills, one of which is a diabetes med. And two kinds of
insulin.

And who really cares? *I* really care because I don't like false things
being said about me.

And guess what! There was actually a time when I was on *no* meds at all
for diabetes and not only could eat whatever I wanted but had to eat tons of
candy too. To keep my BG up. I was running hyperthyroid then. You see...
There is no one size fits all. Note that I am not recommending that anyone
do this. And my scenario wasn't typical. I was just seeing, IMO, a bad Dr.
who put me on a rather high dose of a thyroid med. His reason? I was
overweight. Turns out that I didn't need that med at all. I do have a
thyroid problem. Goiter. But my labs now that I am not on thyroid meds
come out normal.

So I went back and re-read what I wrote. The only
thing I found that could have been taken as condescending
was the part about picking out your shoes for your
prosthetic feet. And, I did not mean it condescending.
I meant it to be brutally serious. I have seen T2 mane
and kill people.

Oh? And you don't think that calling someone a Met Head is condescending?
And what is type 2 mane?

I have seen people die from alcohol. But you don't see me out there warning
everyone about the dangers of alcohol. Just because something *can* happen
doesn't mean that you have to figure everything as a worst case scenario. I
think you have a lot of issues. And diabetes is but one of them.

As far as being insulting, I insulted myself far more that
anyone else. Saying to be careful this happened to me,
is not telling you your are an arse hole. It is saying
you could be and not know it. I didn't.

You insulted yourself? Hardly. You very much insulted Wendy by calling her
crabby. You can't cite one example of her being crabby. Not here anyway.
She never has been.

I am on other low carb cooking groups and no one minds
the way I speak. They see it as a pep talk. Over
here, if I say "low carb", I am being condescending.
And of all places to be offended by a low carb comment,
a Diabetes group!

Great! Maybe you should stick to those then. This is a diabetes food
group. Not a low carb group. Not all diabetics eat low carb. In fact I'd
be willing to bet that most don't.

What I find really interesting and somewhat annoying
is that if you are doing what is working for you,
why would me telling you what I do be "Condescending".
I am only sharing my experience and thoughts on the
matter, not ordering anyone around. My intention
is to help others. And, the information I give
out was withheld to me. I had to find it out the
hard way. I wish I had never, never taken that
(controlled dosage of a) poison (Met).

But you don't just tell people what you do. You tell them what *they*
should do as if set in stone. And that they are wrong and are going to die
or lose a foot if they don't do what you do. You also lie about meds and
insulin. Metformin is not poison and insulin isn't nasty although I would
prefer not to have to inject myself with it. I'm not a type 1 though.
Telling this to a type 1 could kill them. They *have* to inject it whether
they want to or not or they *will* die. Unless of course they use a pump.

As for the Metformin, no information was withheld from you. There are
websites like http://www.askapatient.com/ where you can look up any meds you
want to. You also should have been given prescribing information. Most if
not all of the side effects you had from that med (if I believe that, which
I don't) are not typical. I won't say that atypical side effects don't
happen. I have certainly had them myself but not to Metformin. However,
many of the side effects you mentioned in regard to your behavior are still
continuing on here.

People tell you things about yourself and you're very much in denial about
them. You are always right. Everyone else is always wrong and you'll just
killfile them if they disagree.

The only thing I can think of is that #2's (throw in
a little Met) really are tired of being lectured
about carbs and want to eat what they want to eat.
So they snap at the next person that raises the subject.
So along comes Todd with his Primal and low carb and
Pow! Like walking on egg shells

Who does this? You are the only one here that I hear lecturing about carbs,
at the moment. We have had some other extreme low carbers here. I don't
think they really lectured anyone. People are snapping at *you* because you
are being rude to them. You just can't see it.

By the way, the other cooking groups I am also on are
low carb by choice not because they are forced to.
(Sometimes I will share a recipe from them here,
if I think other will like it.)

Well great! Then maybe that is the best place for you to be then.

That is one of the reasons why I think low carb is such
a sore subject in these parts (Met doesn't help).
And the other groups love to hear about it. One
is by choice, the other is not.

That's because they *are* low carb groups. People choose to eat low carb
for a variety of reasons. I have a friend who does low carb whenever she
wants to lose weight. She is very much overweight. Not diabetic but her
dad is a type 1. She does lose weight on it. But she can't stick with it.
That's one of the problems of a low carb diet for many people. They are
hungry all the time and they are not necessarily eating the foods that they
like. My opinion is that there is no one diet that will work for everyone,
diabetic or not.

Anyway, I had several people I apologized to also
tell me they didn't notice anything. Guess you take it
out on those closest to you.

Not even sure what that means.

A lot of people have experienced "Depression" from
Metformin. A web search is litter with it.

http://community.diabetes.org/t5/Adu...in/td-p/248424

"Had/Having a depressive episode. Can't work, can't
function, can't cope. Haven't had an episode in ten years.
All of a sudden I trace back my depression to November ----
viola --- that is when I started taking metformin. "

And depression causes you to be crabby and paranoid delusional.
And, yes, maybe not everyone. This group shows a lot of it.

What a bunch of hooey! I have never been depressed. I know people who have
been and currently suffer from depression. And just like with diabetes and
many other diseases/disorders/syndromes, there is no one size fits all.
Depression can make you crabby. It certainly doesn't always. The
stereotypical version of depression is the person who either overeats or
doesn't want to eat at all and takes to bed to sleep. I certainly have
known people like that. I have not ever seen a depressed person who was
paranoid and delusional unless they had additional medical problems or were
perhaps having a side effect from a med like I had with the Gabapenton. I'm
not going to say that these things couldn't happen with Metformin but they
certainly are not common side effects.

And as far as Wendy goes, I have tried making friends
with her on several occasions. I would say the sky is
blue, she would say I way condescending. I have asked
her repeatedly to show me in my writing were I made
such a social mistake. She comes back with it is the
tone in my writing. She just doesn't like me, which
is her right. Towards me, she acts like a Met Head.
Towards other she does not, which is a good thing.
I did not act badly to every one either.

That is simply not true Todd. Wendy has only ever been nice to people.
Even me. Even when I annoy her. And it is the tone in your writing and the
calling people names. I objected to the names you were calling your wife.
You and some others said you were doing it to be nice but the current
connotations of those names on the street are anything but flattering.

She even said I ran off in a Huff. Do you know what
an act of friendship that was for me to post
a cute video of a cat? I despise the things. You
would too, if a reaction to one almost killed someone
your loved. They are a curse on humanity.

Nobody ran off in a huff. Wendy is Jewish and it is now Yom Kippur. I
think she did make a post today but it may well be that she won't post any
more. I don't want to come across as a Jewish expert because I am not but
my Jewish friend in Chicago who I talk to nearly every day already told me
that he will not be online today because of the holiday. He will be
fasting. Wendy may or may not be as they do excuse people with medical
reasons. Most however will go to services.

Anyway, I am only sharing my experience with others
to be of help. If I was trying to be condescending,
there are far easier way to do it. I would certainly
take a hit on myself and include my own behavior as a
met head in my missives.

But you really aren't being of help. What works for you might not work for
another. You just can't see that. If *I* low carb, my BG will shoot up
over 300. People on the diabetes newsgroup kept telling me that it was
really as easy as that. Well, no it was not. Low carbing simply does not
work for me. Granted I have additional medical problems. Many of us here
do. So for me it's more a matter of keeping *all* of my medical problems at
bay as best I can. And low carbing won't do that at all.

Mark Twain actually liked cats. Finally found something
I don't like about him.

-T

Ignorant people think it is the noise which fighting cats
make that is so aggravating, but it ain't so; it is
the sickening grammar that they use.
Mark Twain

Okay...

Old 04-10-2014, 05:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

[...]

If you were really God's gift - you wouldn't have diabetes in the first
place.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Todd" wrote in message

Hi Bjørn,

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.
I see three kinds of T2's out these:

1) eat anything you want and use lots of drugs
2) eat moderate carbs and use (less) drugs, or
3) low carb and drug free?

I don't know of any #1 on this group, maybe Julie.
Most on this group I see as #2's. I think I am the
only #1. But who really cares.

No, I most certainly do not eat anything I want! If I did I would eat a
bean burrito with a side of beans. Pasta with beans. And big huge
salads. Those are my favorite foods.

I'd go for a huge kebab - anyway, if I leave anything it'll be the pita.

The one I order from - if you ask for the salad in a separate styrene carton
to save the pita getting soggy; they completely fill the pita with meat.

The salad isn't stingy either.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:
: Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals,
but
: can still be done in the microwave?

: Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a
microwave,
: but that general direction of food preparation.

: The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
: diabetic recipes.

: Maybe if enough people asked, they'd do something about it.

Most green vegetables can be simply prepared in the microwave. I also do
a fish dish with plain(not breaded) fish sooked with onins salt and
pepper, slices fo green pepper adnsome tomatoes either ripe fresh or
canned. this can also be seasoned with some hot peppers or such or you
can use a salsa as the main cooking sauce. time depeds on the thickness
of the fish.

jut something off the to of my head.

Just had another prod at the BBC food/recipes website.

This time I searched "low carb" - got some hits, but there are only 8
recipes listed.

Its a step in the right direction, but needs more people to show an
interest.

The BBC websites aren't just for Brits - anyone can look in.

The contact link is at the bottom of the page.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:09 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/08/2014 11:27 AM, Ian Field wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:
[...]

Here is a Primal microwave chicken recipe and it sounds good:
http://www.paleoeffect.com/recipes/p...owave-chicken/

Here is a microwave chocolate chip cookie dough recipe (be
careful to limit the banana or leave it out):
http://www.thefreckledfoodie.com/pal...-cookie-dough/

Those two might be a bit on the workie side, you can always purchase
a precooked Bratwurt or other sausage (Prairie Grove Farms in the States
makes great natural uncured precooked sausage), chop it up and add
it to some frozen organic broccoli, with butter, onion powder, salt, and
you favorite cheese. Only takes a few minutes and it is a real treat.
You can vary the vegetable(s), the meat (precook your own,
or buy it that way), etc..

Be ware of burning broccoli, the odor is something to behold.
Not that I know anything about that! :-)

When you get advanced that this, you will even find yourself
buying a single fresh vegi on your way home from work to
add to the pot/dish/microwave.

Although I have heard rumors of someone trying to do Paleo/Primal
frozen dinners out here, there is really nothing in a purchased
frozen dinner that is diabetic friendly. But, you can easily
work around it.

Do you have access to fresh off the dock fish where you
live. Fresh off the dock to the pan is a real treat,
but does require some preparation. If you can get
it filleted, you can probably go straight to the
microwave with the addition of a little seasoning
(Wendy's seems nice.)

So basically, a little more work is required, but
not that much more. Plus, you get the warn fuzzies
"I cooked that!". And, I got to tell you, fresh
cooked anything tastes so much better than T.V.
dinners. (I make my own Ratatouille. It is so good.
And it freezes well. Store bought Ratatouille is
so bad, I am sure there is something in the Geneva
Convention about it.)

Also, very important, this is a primal/paleo thing,
but it applies to all of us healing from Diabetes,
make sure you eat/share your food with someone
you love/tribe/friends/family. It is part of the
healing process.

Have a customer whose late husband was from Scotland. He
loved a sausage called a "Banger". She described it as
a texture only flavorless meat. Made me laugh. She likes
Bratwurst. Was she exaggerating? (She also hates lamb,
which made her trips to the homeland to visit relatives
a bit of a chore.)

-T

Oh, since I have been ragging on Metformin, it also
causes cognitive decline and memory loss. And, it,
it ... Crikey. I forget again. I hate when that
happens. Why am I writing you? Are you still in the
Navy? :-)

Old 08-10-2014, 09:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/08/2014 01:09 PM, Todd wrote:
warn fuzzies

"Warm" fuzzies, stink' typoes